Swim-against-the-current lap pools

kelly94942

When I was on the Crown in November, I wanted to use the Swim-against-the-current lap pool. I attempted to do so, but the button wouldn't turn on the machine. When I asked about it, I was told it was being removed after that cruise and that they were being removed fleet wide. I just checked and Princess is still advertising them, at least on the Crown and the Emerald (just happened to check those 2). Does anyone know if they are still on the ships, and if so, are they working?

When I was on the Crown in November, I wanted to use the Swim-against-the-current lap pool. I attempted to do so, but the button wouldn't turn on the machine. When I asked about it, I was told it was being removed after that cruise and that they were being removed fleet wide. I just checked and Princess is still advertising them, at least on the Crown and the Emerald (just happened to check those 2). Does anyone know if they are still on the ships, and if so, are they working?

from what I understand, they are considered an entertainment attraction and there for require a lifeguard to be on duty.

On the Golden. It works then stopped. Ask the attendant, said he get someone to turn it on. Waited but no one ever comes. Time goes by, another cruiser said hey wassup? Told him waiting for someone to turn it on. He goes ask someone and then comes back. After a while it was on. The attendant said it is on timer so it will take a while. No straight anwser but someone said it need to refill water which is use to pump current.

When I was on the Crown December 6-13,2014. The swim against the current not working, but still there. The pool was also freezing cold. Wish it was heated a little.( I was in Mexico and the outside air was not enough) they need more adults only areas.

Julie

When I was on the Crown December 6-13,2014. The swim against the current not working, but still there. The pool was also freezing cold. Wish it was heated a little.( I was in Mexico and the outside air was not enough) they need more adults only areas.

Julie

YES - that was one of the reasons I was so irritated. I had worked my way into that FREEZING COLD water and pushed the button (which is what they said to do when I asked how to operate it) and nothing. Brrrrrrrrrrr.... all that cold for nothing!

While on the Grand it worked fine. I do not remember using it on the Crown the first time. I don't remember seeing it. One the Sapphire a year ago it did not work and they said it was no longer meant to work. However, we had rough seas on a sea day and wow. what great fun that was.

The swim against the current pools are what originally attracted me to Princess. I've used them quite a lot on many ships but lately they are hit or miss for effective operation. I hope they don't remove them fleet wide, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. If that does happen, I guess it'll be time to re-try other cruise lines!

YES - that was one of the reasons I was so irritated. I had worked my way into that FREEZING COLD water and pushed the button (which is what they said to do when I asked how to operate it) and nothing. Brrrrrrrrrrr.... all that cold for nothing!

....Me too!!!!!!! I was so upset that the pools were cold .. I am Canadian and I swim in lakes...I know what cold is ... I was not ready for it lol

I don't know where you got that info, there are NO lifeguards on Princess cruise ships

my POINT exactly, they are considered entertainment attractions, and therefore require a life guard on duty, since Princess does not have life guards, they have chosen to disconnect them. I was on Crown 2 weeks ago and the sign said they could not run them currently due to a law (or some verbiage) like that. The law requires them to have a lifeguard on duty.

Anyone know if the pool on the Carribain Princess is working?

It was working last Sept but was shut down a week ago.

No one asked about it so I assumed that it was broken but after reading post #18 maybe they are going to remove them after all.

It seems strange that they would require a lifeguard since the pool is only 4 feet deep.

my POINT exactly, they are considered entertainment attractions, and therefore require a life guard on duty, since Princess does not have life guards, they have chosen to disconnect them. I was on Crown 2 weeks ago and the sign said they could not run them currently due to a law (or some verbiage) like that. The law requires them to have a lifeguard on duty.

Took them 16 years to figure that out eh. :eek:

I was told by one of the maintenance officers on the Crown in January that the against the current lap pools were being removed flight wide due to a "safety concern"...I take it that this means that there was an accident and they were sued for something. The button was disabled but you could still swim in the pool....Sorta small for recreational swimming. Too bad, I enjoyed them also.

I hope they are not being removed. I would hate for cruising to become cotton wool type ships because people are too soft and precious to enjoy life. If one thing irritates me it is people spoiling the experience for others and quoting "safety" when in fact it is just mentally unstable people demanding fun and enjoyable things be turned off and removed.

12 years ago I was able to walk on a cruise ship and sit in a hot tub push the buttons and both air bubbles and jets would pump out. These days a human being could pee with more pressure than the pressure emitted form the jets of a hot tub. Its sad and sorry that things have deteriorated to this level because people are too soft to have a bit of fun.

I hope they are not being removed. I would hate for cruising to become cotton wool type ships because people are too soft and precious to enjoy life. If one thing irritates me it is people spoiling the experience for others and quoting "safety" when in fact it is just mentally unstable people demanding fun and enjoyable things be turned off and removed.

12 years ago I was able to walk on a cruise ship and sit in a hot tub push the buttons and both air bubbles and jets would pump out. These days a human being could pee with more pressure than the pressure emitted form the jets of a hot tub. Its sad and sorry that things have deteriorated to this level because people are too soft to have a bit of fun.

We have become a very fragile society.