Those threads asking about new ports you'd like to see, a new one is about to open

A Sixth?

But it's a Carnival Corp owned facility in the Dominican Republic.... Amber Cove on the north side of the island just west of Puerto Plata.

Neat part of the world IMHO

Hope Celebrity can work out some sort of deal to use the port now and then like the deal at Roadtown, which was largely built by Disney as I recall

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-corporation-expands-presence-caribbean-170200585.html 181578.jpg

Amber%20Cove%20Aerial%20Rendering%205X6%20300%20dpi.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

But it's a Carnival Corp owned facility in the Dominican Republic.... Amber Cove on the north side of the island just west of Puerto Plata.

Neat part of the world IMHO

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-corporation-expands-presence-caribbean-170200585.html

It's funny that the last cruise I was on - NCL - just stopped going to the Dominican Republic because of all the issues there. We were on one of the last Caribbean cruises that included Samana.

While we had no interest in seeing Samana, we happily did the excursion to Cayo Levantado. It's a small island just off Samana - and it was a great place! I have to say it was one of my favorite beaches to just relax and enjoy the water. Sipping Pina Colada's out of pineapples, and watching the birds while we were lounging under the trees was a perfect day.

It's funny that the last cruise I was on - NCL - just stopped going to the Dominican Republic because of all the issues there. We were on one of the last Caribbean cruises that included Samana.

While we had no interest in seeing Samana, we happily did the excursion to Cayo Levantado. It's a small island just off Samana - and it was a great place! I have to say it was one of my favorite beaches to just relax and enjoy the water. Sipping Pina Colada's out of pineapples, and watching the birds while we were lounging under the trees was a perfect day.

We were on the NCL Jewel in January 2009 when we made a stop at Samana.

I'd been there before long ago before anyone had ever heard of the place and man it's changed. Gone from little fishing/farming village to a bit of a center of tourism in the area with some fishing and farming.

One problem is that Samana is a very poor town and for many it's a bit of a shock.

It's a tender port and they are never popular plus the place they tender to in town is a bit rough

We went to Roadtown, Tortola, on a Celebrity ship long before Disney even thought of it. Not particularly fond of the cruise-built ports (with the exception of private islands). The Carnival one in Grand Turk is an example--also went there on a Celebrity ship.

I am looking forward to Road Town on the Summit next January. Apparently the new dock and facilities are nearly complete:D

What I'm hoping is even though the Dominican Republic port has been co-funded by one cruise company, often arrangements are made for competitors to dock occasionally.

The Amber Coast is actually is an interesting spot. I hope Celebrity could negotiated occasional stops.

The facilities will only be able to handle two ships, 8,000 passengers at a time...and Carnival Corp. is planning on using it for all six of its owned cruise lines...May not be that much of an opportunity for the "competition"...

Of course, the question will be "What will there be to do there?"

The facility is located about 7-8 miles up the coast from the town of Puerto Plata...It looks fairly isolated in a lot of ways...You will not be able to just get off the ship and walk around...Except within the facility...

A short bus ride away, they do have the town...and water sports, ORVs and stuff like that...

Puerto Plata actually does have a cruise ship pier in its downtown area--but no cruise ship has visited there since 2012...

Is it that it's too antiquated? Not capable of handling today's larger ships? Or was the port just unpopular with cruisers?

We went to Roadtown, Tortola, on a Celebrity ship long before Disney even thought of it. Not particularly fond of the cruise-built ports (with the exception of private islands). The Carnival one in Grand Turk is an example--also went there on a Celebrity ship.

Linda -- I remember that day! By the time Century docked at Grand Turk, that huge Carnival Ship had been there for hours. We disembarked, only to find that the tram tour you had worked so hard to book for us was already full of Carnival Cruisers. To make matters worse, every umbrella, lounger, table, and bar stool on the entire beach, was already occupied! :eek: After we learned that the tram operator was not interested in honoring his commitment to our group, we just walked down the beach, and went back to the ship. At this point, Grand Turk is on my "been there, done that" list. And, I don't think I'd be lining up to go visit another Carnival owned/managed port, either! :rolleyes:

I just booked ourselves on a 2016 HAL "Tropical Caribbean" itinerary. We're more thrilled about this itinerary than any other cruise we've been on (about 10 made up of mostly HAL, 1 Carnival and 1 Celebrity just last month). Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay! I couldn't have put it together better if I scheduled the ports myself.

On the surface it looks like Carnival Corp.'s belated answer to Labadee. If that's the case, I wouldn't expect to see Celebrity ships there for the same reason you don't see Carnival ships at Labadee.

Not really the same at all.

This Cove thing is perfect for tours and such off compound, Haiti not yet, not for a long time I'm sorry to say.

But you're right, unlikely there'll be any sharing... unless they want to share Labadee..... I'd say that's a fair deal.

Celebrity used to have a large presence at Casa d'campo in Dominican Republican. Also went to Catalina island, a private island near DR. The private island I believe was before the merger.

Ah, the good ole days. I remember them well. Catalina Island used to be one of our very favorite stops. That was back when a private island stop was a relaxing beach day of peace and quiet rather than a mini-Disney World created by the cruise line with pricing to match. We loved Casa de Campo as well - so much so that we decided to book a week at one of the all-inclusive resorts in DR. What a horrendous mistake that was. The beaches are beautiful, but other than that I can't for the life of me figure out why people go to DR for vacation. But to each their own, and I fear I digress......:)

We LOVE LOVE LOVE DR for vacation. Have you ever been to Punta Cana? The resorts are fantastic, beach that never ends and very friendly people. The only place we do land vacations anymore. Other than going to PC once a year, we do nothing but cruises.

Samana not so much. If we had to go there again, we would do the excursion off the ship to the island off the mainland. Did not like Samana at all.

We stayed at Iberostar Bavaro, which is supposedly one of the nicer resorts there. The grounds were beautiful, as were the beaches. The pool was nice as well. The staff was the worst we have ever encountered at any resort or hotel we had ever been to. I can honestly divide the staff into thirds - 1/3 were friendly, 1/3 were neutral (neither unfriendly nor friendly), 1/3 were downright unfriendly and even at times nasty. I was shocked to say the least. We had a very hard time getting into the restaurants at night, even when we could plainly see they were half empty. The normal restaurants were outside in the stifling heat. The entertainment was outside in the stifling heat (word to the wise - never visit in summer like we did!). We were (rightly) told to not drink the water but several of us came down with Mr. Montezuma and his revenge anyway (and we even used bottled water for brushing our teeth). Our clothes smelled so musty/moldy when we got home that I literally had to wash them a minimum of twice to get the odor out. There were a significant number of bugs in one of our two rooms. The airport was all outside, and the restroom was small and unclean - with lines about 20 deep for the women's (perhaps this has changed - it has been several years). When you left your room for the day the air-conditioning turned off (it was sensored) and it took hours to cool the room again. I could go on and on - these were just the tip of the iceberg.

All six of us traveling agreed that we would never, ever, ever travel to the Dominican Republic again even if someone gave us a free trip. I enjoy visiting as a cruise line stop at either Catalina Island (or did years ago) or at Altos de Chavon, but to stay? No way in heck.

We stayed at Iberostar Bavaro, which is supposedly one of the nicer resorts there. The grounds were beautiful, as were the beaches. The pool was nice as well. The staff was the worst we have ever encountered at any resort or hotel we had ever been to. I can honestly divide the staff into thirds - 1/3 were friendly, 1/3 were neutral (neither unfriendly nor friendly), 1/3 were downright unfriendly and even at times nasty. I was shocked to say the least. We had a very hard time getting into the restaurants at night, even when we could plainly see they were half empty. The normal restaurants were outside in the stifling heat. The entertainment was outside in the stifling heat (word to the wise - never visit in summer like we did!). We were (rightly) told to not drink the water but several of us came down with Mr. Montezuma and his revenge anyway (and we even used bottled water for brushing our teeth). Our clothes smelled so musty/moldy when we got home that I literally had to wash them a minimum of twice to get the odor out. There were a significant number of bugs in one of our two rooms. The airport was all outside, and the restroom was small and unclean - with lines about 20 deep for the women's (perhaps this has changed - it has been several years). When you left your room for the day the air-conditioning turned off (it was sensored) and it took hours to cool the room again. I could go on and on - these were just the tip of the iceberg.

All six of us traveling agreed that we would never, ever, ever travel to the Dominican Republic again even if someone gave us a free trip. I enjoy visiting as a cruise line stop at either Catalina Island (or did years ago) or at Altos de Chavon, but to stay? No way in heck.

Well isn't that one of the reasons we love to cruise? The accommodations are fantastic!

And if you really hate a destination, don't take a cruise there.

We were in Cuba this Christmas, and comparatively the DR is five stars!

I'm not sure a lot of people forbidden to visit today will be able to handle it when it opens up to them! :p

2nti7vs.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

I'll take a cruise that stops in DR any day. Just don't want to ever stay there again! I found your comment on Cuba interesting. My husband is dying to visit there when it opens up more broadly to US travelers. I would have thought that since other countries have been able to visit there for a long time that there would be some nice resorts and so on. Perhaps I was not aware of the real situation. Having been on shore excursions out and about in the DR, I would hate to think how bad Cuba could be if it was worse than there! Yikes.

I'll take a cruise that stops in DR any day. Just don't want to ever stay there again! I found your comment on Cuba interesting. My husband is dying to visit there when it opens up more broadly to US travelers. I would have thought that since other countries have been able to visit there for a long time that there would be some nice resorts and so on. Perhaps I was not aware of the real situation. Having been on shore excursions out and about in the DR, I would hate to think how bad Cuba could be if it was worse than there! Yikes.

Don't get me wrong, Cuba is fascinating, but it is very different and while crime and such is almost nonexistent, so is good food! The infrastructure is minimal. It's a slip-and-fall lawyer's dream country! :p

5vd3lk.jpg

24w7ocj.jpg

2jamhrr.jpg

i52bec.jpg

verqex.jpg