Must brings, 2.0

brd1121

I always take a stack of ones for tips.

I've only been on disney the last couple years - where you can no longer have over the door rack. I do find the rack helpful. Anyone know if they are allowed on rci?

As far as I know, they are allowed on RCI.

Just curious....why are they no longer allowed on Disney?

I also take the Clorox wipes and wipe certain things down. I would rather take 5 minutes to do that than risk catching something on my vacation. Air fresheners are also great because sometimes the rooms are just musty smelling. I put 1 in the bathroom and usually another by the air vent in the cabin.

Some cruise ship balcony doors will automatically close unless you can tie them open with a bungee cord.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Balcony doors should stayed closed at all times wether sitting inside or out. Why waste a/c with door open. Wouldn't do it home so don't be greedy and do on a cruise. Signs in cabin say not to do so as well. Be considerate.

Edited by brenderlou

These threads on what to pack have been very helpful even to us veteran cruisers. Thank you to all that have taken the time to post.

I'm going to get some/a tealight to use as a much needed bathroom nightlight. On our last cruise the bathroom light was accidentally turned off. It was quite an adventure feeling my way to the bathroom! :)

The only things I would add, a plain old tall kitchen trash bag for dirty laundry, and a sewing kit from your last hotel stay.

Enjoy your cruise.

Balcony doors should stayed closed at all times wether sitting inside or out. Why waste a/c with door open. Wouldn't do it home so don't be greedy and do on a cruise. Signs in cabin say not to do so as well. Be considerate.

A/C doesn't run when the door is open. That's why they say to close the door, but calling someone "greedy" for wanting to listen to the ocean, really? The signs in the cabin basically say to keep the door shut so the A/C will run.

I enjoy these threads and have found a number of the suggestions helpful. I don't understand the people who post just to say this stuff is unnecessary. If you don't want to use the suggestions, and don't have any of your own, skip this thread and allow those who DO want them to read without your judgement.

A flashlight would have been helpful for us a couple of years ago. On our last night, we were watching a little TV before bed and the ships electricity went out. Talk about dark!! Emergency light came on and we made our way to the deck but a little more light would have been great!! Now we can just use our phones. :eek:

At some point during our various cruises, we've probably carried every item suggested on these boards. Some worked well for us, others we decided we just didn't need. Now, if it won't fit in one of my shoes or the very corner of the piece of luggage, it doesn't get carried. I do carry OTC medicine in a zip-lock bag, prescription meds, a couple of magnetic clips for the wall, a zip lock with small bills ($1, $5's) for room service, passport, travel documents, camera with extra memory card and a couple of rubber bands (to hold the button down on the hair dryer). Anything else will most likely get left at home.

A/C is turned off when we have the door open. Thanks for the unnecessary lecture.

Dirty laundry goes in the laundry bags they provide or in luggage . Duct tape? For what?

Keeping drapes closed. Suitcase tears. Broken zippers. Close drapes. Over 50 cruises plus many different trips....always carry Duct Tape, tie wraps/wire ties. People once made fun of me but they leaned, 'just call Lynne'!

The over door shoe bags are wonderful especially on long cruises.

Pack your socks, blouses, bathing suits, pj's,panties, bras, socks in plastic bags from sheets and pillowcases or plastic bags. You can always throw them under the bed.

Lynne

A/C is turned off when we have the door open. Thanks for the unnecessary lecture.

I see it as keeping the door close so the a/c system doesn't have work harder than necessary to bring temps back down. Lecture? No, just my opinion. Signs do state to not keep doors open. Do as you will.

I agree less clothes and more $$

I also agree with the above statement. Age may play a part in the "needed" items to bring on a cruise. Our typical group is in low to mid 60's. I bring Walkie

Talkies, Dominoes and a deck of playing cards. I also bring a DVD player and several new movies. Make sure you leave a copy of your passport, business card or written name, address and phone number inside all carry-on bags and luggage. This helped me get my camera back on a cruise several years ago! Be sure to bring numerous one and five dollar bills for tips on and off the ship. I bring several large trash bags for dirty clothes and a small flashlight. I hope everyone has a fun cruise!

I always bring a highlighter to mark what we want to do the next day. We get so excited when the Compass is waiting for us in our stateroom...we love to see what is coming up next. I found that if I don't highlight what we want to do, we tend to forget or miss it the next day.

I agree with the ziploc person too - it's nice to be able to bring a few cookies back to the room and keep them fresh for munching on later.

I haven't been on many cruises, but I have found that I don't need many of the misc items listed as well. However, on my last cruise I needed cough drops and cold meds. The ship carried only one type of very expensive cough drops and no cold medicine. I had to wait until we finally arrived at our first port to find some kind of cough medicine. I paid over $20 for a bottle of Mucinex. So, medicine is what I will always bring, while leaving highlighters, bungee cords and duct tape at home.

I already know to bring the power strip, bungee cords, duct tape, tea lights, etc... Any frequent cruisers have some new "must bring" ideas?

A few things I always bring wherever I travel and all are in travel size containers - small pack of kleenex (also works well for tp on excursions), small hand sanitizer, small handy wipes, a few bandaids, advil, benadryl, epipen - all in a small zip lock bag. I also carry a small flashlight that I have used many times, a small clock, extra pair of sunglasses, an extension cord, yellow highlighter for cruise compass, sticky notes so my kids and I can leave notes on the door of where we are, black marker, partial roll of duct tape (I had my suitcase rip once), and yes a bungee cord (to hold back curtains, etc.) A few zip lock bags come in handy as well a trash bag for dirty clothes, and a stain stick. Needle and thread, thermal coffee cup and nalgene to take water off the ship for excursions and a few clothes pins to hang up wet items in the shower.

I also bring a few decorative magnets to put on the door - makes it easier to distinguish down that long row. Lastly, I always photocopy our passports and driver's licenses as well as our trip itinerary and a few emergency numbers for our kids which we leave in the safe. We take our id's and passport copies with us and leave our DL copies and original passport in the room safe.

All these items take up little space and come in handy for us.

Some of you sound like you are camping out! I love all the suggestions and inventive ideas.

I guess I am a no muss no fuss person. I only bring clothes and toiletries. If the ship can't provide it, I'll live. I do though LOVE my hanging toiletry kit. I also will bring Clorox wipes and maybe bring a highlighter this time. That's as far as I will go :)

Edited by leobugtravels

Some of you sound like you are camping out! I love all the suggestions and inventive ideas.

I guess I am a no muss no fuss person. I only bring clothes and toiletries. If the ship can't provide it, I'll live. I do though LOVE my hanging toiletry kit. I also will bring Clorox wipes and maybe bring a highlighter this time. That's as far as I will go :)

I have one of the Lands End hanging toiletry bags that I've taken all over the world. It's one of the best and most used travel items I have. I even use it at home.

Being a male with no hair lets me cheat a bit, but I'm confident that on our next cruise I can get by for 7-8 days with my carry-on bag and a backpack. I didn't wear 60% of the clothes I took last time. I'll leave my pots and pans at home! I see these people in the airport with multiple 29" suitcases and have to wonder what in the world they could possibly need THAT much stuff for?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

same here. I don't wear all of the stuff I bring. As long as they're clean, one pair of shorts get 3-4 days service. I could probably cut back to one pair of pants , like khakis or nice jeans for MDR, and my suit. Probably 3-4 t-shirts , underwear and a few socks....whatever you forgot buy onboard or in port!

I always bring a shower cap. One thing that's hard to find on the ship.

I also use a tall kitchen trash bag for my dirty clothes. I just hang it on one of the hangers in the closet. No need to keep opening luggage for dirty clothes. Bag goes right to laundry room when I get home.

We have only been on 7-15 day sailings, but the over the door organizer is awesome. Toiletries, pens, scissors, crazy glue (works well for cracked skin/cuts as well as shoe repair and the standard uses), etc. all out of the way when you don't have a lot of drawer space.

Clothes pins to hang swim clothes on the chairs outside so they dry faster.

OTC meds for sure. I always carry Emergen-C, mucinex, etc. That stuff is expensive in the ship!