Travel/Bubba mugs?

girlpookie

After tacking on the expensive one way airfare on your 14 day TA cruise, many people would prefer to do a 10-14 day Caribbean cruise which would have substantially cheaper airfare and then they could use those savings to book an OV or better cabin to receive the 123 promo or if the numbers worked out, a CC cabin to receive all three perks.

Wow. No. Not I. There is absolutely nothing in the Caribbean that holds my interest, been there (starting with our first cruise in 1982), done that.

As for the "expensive one way airfare", Choice Air is your friend. Return one-way air from any major European airport nonstop to San Francisco is in the $550 range. Less to destinations that are not as far away.

The other part of the equation is that DH and I use the TA as our transport to Europe, and we always tack on a land portion afterward. One time we stayed for 6 weeks. This time around, although the cruise departs April 19th, we have yet to book our return air, since we have no idea when or from where we want to return.

AND, finally, as I have stated several times, I have no interest in a drinks package. The three cocktails I receive every night as Elite is plenty of alcohol for me! Don't give a fig about specialty coffees, "fresh squeezed" orange juice, sodas, beer by the pool, etc. I am content with the coffee they give me, nasty though it may be, and I drink iced tea or just ice water through the day, with the occasional splurge on a $5.75 pina colada. So I don't feel that I am missing a thing. And between the OBC that my travel agent gives me and my $250 shareholder credit, I have a very small net final bill. Last year after a 15 day cruise, with two specialty restaurants (each), our final bill was $193.

But thanks for the suggestion. . .;)

Many people would prefer to do a Transatlantic cruise before or after spending time in Europe. For me, a Transatlantic cruise in an inside cabin is preferable to a Caribbean cruise with a balcony and drink package. If a Caribbean cruise is what you enjoy, go for it, but it is not for everyone. I want to see the world not just repeat the same cruises over and over, and a cruise is an ideal way to unwind after an energetic holiday touring in Europe. I think there will be a Transpacific cruise in our future too.

Sheila

Not everyone is able to take the time off from work to be able to do a 7-10 day cruise in Europe and then back it up with a 14 day TA journey. For instance, the Equinox has a TA journey in April of 2016 combined with a 10 day European cruise. The cheapest available is 3000 pp. On top of that you have airfare on the front and back end and all of the other miscellaneous expenses involved that would cause this trip to easily break the 10,000 mark and this would be conservative. What percentage of the average Celebrity cruiser can afford to drop 10 K on a vacation?

Wow. No. Not I. There is absolutely nothing in the Caribbean that holds my interest, been there (starting with our first cruise in 1982), done that.

As for the "expensive one way airfare", Choice Air is your friend. Return one-way air from any major European airport nonstop to San Francisco is in the $550 range. Less to destinations that are not as far away.

The other part of the equation is that DH and I use the TA as our transport to Europe, and we always tack on a land portion afterward. One time we stayed for 6 weeks. This time around, although the cruise departs April 19th, we have yet to book our return air, since we have no idea when or from where we want to return.

AND, finally, as I have stated several times, I have no interest in a drinks package. The three cocktails I receive every night as Elite is plenty of alcohol for me! Don't give a fig about specialty coffees, "fresh squeezed" orange juice, sodas, beer by the pool, etc. I am content with the coffee they give me, nasty though it may be, and I drink iced tea or just ice water through the day, with the occasional splurge on a $5.75 pina colada. So I don't feel that I am missing a thing. And between the OBC that my travel agent gives me and my $250 shareholder credit, I have a very small net final bill. Last year after a 15 day cruise, with two specialty restaurants (each), our final bill was $193.

But thanks for the suggestion. . .;)

Cathy....I can only dream about being "cheap" like you and being able to take a TA and then stay in Europe for 6 weeks. Financially it could never happen for me. At this point, the ship is my destination and the ports are secondary. I look for value when it comes to spending my limited vacation dollars and I can infer that we have that in common. Your upcoming trip in April sounds intriguing....you still don't know when or from where you're coming back to Frisco. Gotta respect that attitude. ;)

Not everyone is able to take the time off from work to be able to do a 7-10 day cruise in Europe and then back it up with a 14 day TA journey. For instance, the Equinox has a TA journey in April of 2016 combined with a 10 day European cruise. The cheapest available is 3000 pp. On top of that you have airfare on the front and back end and all of the other miscellaneous expenses involved that would cause this trip to easily break the 10,000 mark and this would be conservative. What percentage of the average Celebrity cruiser can afford to drop 10 K on a vacation?

It would be cheaper if you book the European part your self

Last October on we book inside cabin on the Silhouette for $534 CAD which is probably $250 USD lol with $300 obc

Return airfare from Toronto to Rome was $880 pp

Total trip with taxes , and gratuities was about $1800 pp , one night in a hotel at the start of the cruise

I have been to 2 Carbeanian ports and that is enough for me, I have done at least 20 all inclusive resorts in central America, South America, Mexico and Cuba

I much rather travel anywhere else in the world than the Caribbeann to spend my two weeks off work

Cathy....I can only dream about being "cheap" like you and being able to take a TA and then stay in Europe for 6 weeks. Financially it could never happen for me. At this point, the ship is my destination and the ports are secondary. I look for value when it comes to spending my limited vacation dollars and I can infer that we have that in common. Your upcoming trip in April sounds intriguing....you still don't know when or from where you're coming back to Frisco. Gotta respect that attitude. ;)

You hit the nail on the head: value. That's what I look for. I want the best I can get for the least amount of money. Yes it takes a lot of research, but I love doing that. And that's what lets us stay for longer periods of time. We rented a house in France for three weeks for $700 total. A client let us use his villa in Tuscany for a month for $900. How can I pass up deals like that!!??

The tickler on the return journey: DH and I love Northern France and have been trying to figure out a way to semi-retire there, but we need income. We are going to extend our journey to find out if it's feasible to live out our dream, and give tours of the D Day sites and other beautiful places in the area to cruisers and vacationers of all sorts. We have a plan, just need to find out the details such as permits, bonding, etc. Don't know how long that will take!

$10,000 would be a Conservative estimate? - sorry, but I'm definitely not looking in this direction for advice on travel finances. I did three transAtlantics in 2014 (Liberty of the Seas in May, Legend of the Seas in September and Celebrity Equinox in October and November). The total for all three trips including air, taxes, tips etc was under $5000. The Liberty of the Seas trips came in under $1000 all included. I can't help you with the time off from work issue, but if you want to discuss low end pricing you are WAY off.

Thom

I hope not. It's pretty unsanitary for them to be using guests' mugs,...
Your mouth may not have been on the mug, but your germs are IN the mug.

Who knows what you were handling before you handed the bartender your mug. Who know where that mug was sitting just before you picked it up (i.e. - tables where folks put their eating utensils, glasses, and other personal items.)

Then the bartender has to handle your mug, and then handle everyone else's drinks.

It is very easy to transfer your drink into whatever vessel you wish.

There is no need for unnecessary risks to ANY passengers - no matter how silly someone may think it is.

If the bartender has any common sense, no.
But despite all this Royal Caribbean International (owned by the same company) not only allows this, they encourage it. If you buy the RCI soda package they give you a refillable insulated mug, and it will be refilled by any bartender or by the Dining Waiters. Do you think that RCI passengers have less germs than Celebrity passengers?

$10,000 would be a Conservative estimate? - sorry, but I'm definitely not looking in this direction for advice on travel finances. I did three transAtlantics in 2014 (Liberty of the Seas in May, Legend of the Seas in September and Celebrity Equinox in October and November). The total for all three trips including air, taxes, tips etc was under $5000. The Liberty of the Seas trips came in under $1000 all included. I can't help you with the time off from work issue, but if you want to discuss low end pricing you are WAY off.

Thom

My 10 K estimate was based on the current pricing of the April 2016 TA combined with the corresponding 10 day European cruise. The cheapest inside cabin is 3000 pp. Add air to Miami and from Europe. (750). We're now up to 7500 per couple. The remaining 2500 would go towards 24 days of tips, any drinks on board, and how about 15 different port stops over your 24 days of cruising. Shore excursions are not cheap in Europe, how much do you think 15 ports worth will cost?

So when ALL of the costs are factored in, I don't think that the 10K estimate is that conservative. I think the problem is that I am talking about the cost of a 24 day trip per couple and you're comparing it to just the cheap TA crossing per person purchased at a last minute great rate. We're comparing apples and oranges.

My 10 K estimate was based on the current pricing of the April 2016 TA combined with the corresponding 10 day European cruise. The cheapest inside cabin is 3000 pp. Add air to Miami and from Europe. (750). We're now up to 7500 per couple. The remaining 2500 would go towards 24 days of tips, any drinks on board, and how about 15 different port stops over your 24 days of cruising. Shore excursions are not cheap in Europe, how much do you think 15 ports worth will cost?

So when ALL of the costs are factored in, I don't think that the 10K estimate is that conservative. I think the problem is that I am talking about the cost of a 24 day trip per couple and you're comparing it to just the cheap TA crossing per person purchased at a last minute great rate. We're comparing apples and oranges.

Just saying but our annual vacation budget is $25K

Can't take it with you

You hit the nail on the head: value. That's what I look for. I want the best I can get for the least amount of money. Yes it takes a lot of research, but I love doing that. And that's what lets us stay for longer periods of time. We rented a house in France for three weeks for $700 total. A client let us use his villa in Tuscany for a month for $900. How can I pass up deals like that!!??

Thom

Where is the like button?

It is lucky that there are cruises to suit everyone's taste. Value is our watchword too. The ship is not the destination for us, and after two Caribbean cruises we have minimal interest in any more, unless we happen upon an offer like last year on Princess where we could apply the whole cost of a Caribbean cruise to the Baltic cruise we had already booked. We effectively cruised for the cost of port charges and gratuities.

We worked and saved for our retirement and now we have the time to plan trips to interesting places, which often include cruises. We don't mind inside cabins and look for bargains whenever possible. We have stayed in apartments and AirBnBs as well as in hotels, and we plan our own transportation and sightseeing.

Sheila

It is lucky that there are cruises to suit everyone's taste. Value is our watchword too. The ship is not the destination for us, and after two Caribbean cruises we have minimal interest in any more, unless we happen upon an offer like last year on Princess where we could apply the whole cost of a Caribbean cruise to the Baltic cruise we had already booked. We effectively cruised for the cost of port charges and gratuities.

We worked and saved for our retirement and now we have the time to plan trips to interesting places, which often include cruises. We don't mind inside cabins and look for bargains whenever possible. We have stayed in apartments and AirBnBs as well as in hotels, and we plan our own transportation and sightseeing.

It is true that my under $5k for three TransAtlantics was per person double occupancy (rather than total for two), but that figure did include transportation and 5 nights in Madrid in May, 2 days in Oslo in September, and 8 nights on a self-drive trip in Southern France and Andorra in October. Admittedly I don't spend a lot on tours, as I have no problem hoping on the Metro from Piraeus to the Acropolis, or the train from Civitavecchia to S Pietro, etc. This past September I (with three others) rented a car in Rejkavec and did the Golden Circle including fuel for $25 pp - a lot cheaper than the $169 pp ship tour, and we saw more and waited a lot less.

Sure it is possible, even easy, to spend $10,000 on one trip, but if you are flexible and know what you are doing you can come in much cheaper.

Thom

P.S. As a couple we are fortunate enough to probably spend $30,000 a year on travel, but we travel maybe 3 months a year, and that does include the occasional budget buster (such as Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos or expedition landings in Antarctica).

Edited by TravelerThom

Will the bartender at pool fill these with drinks at the pool? I like them to keep my drinks cold and make them spill proof.:cool:

I have always use my travel mug on board (and everywhere). At first the bartenders are reluctant to fill it but watching me pour the drink into my mug and hand them back the glass usually converts them. :D

But despite all this Royal Caribbean International (owned by the same company) not only allows this, they encourage it. If you buy the RCI soda package they give you a refillable insulated mug, and it will be refilled by any bartender or by the Dining Waiters. Do you think that RCI passengers have less germs than Celebrity passengers?

Indeed - i find it laughable all the people up in arms over this when Royal Caribbean sells a soda package that you MUST use their refillable mug with a RFID chip in. And the bartenders on RCL had no problem filling it up