Interview Article - Del Rio's Shake Up Plans for NCL

Imasima752

You're implying that Sheehan was forced out but there's no evidence to that effect. If he had been forced out I doubt he would have issued a statement saying he was confident that NCL would be in good hands under Del Rio's stewardship. Fired CEOs usually just slink out the back door and don't say anything.

It is not clear why Sheehan left on short notice, but many times those at higher levels in all companies have definite items written into their departure packages that dictate what information can be passed to the media.

As I stated previously, it seems Apollo is the driving force that will dictate NCL's future.

Edited by swedish weave

You're implying that Sheehan was forced out but there's no evidence to that effect. If he had been forced out I doubt he would have issued a statement saying he was confident that NCL would be in good hands under Del Rio's stewardship. Fired CEOs usually just slink out the back door and don't say anything.

Sorry -- just assumed since he was extremely excited about the acquisition one minute and was gone the next. He also said that he and FDR butted heads at first (this was said in one of the early press releases). Also, the statement issued is fairly standard. Again, just an assumption. In any case, he is gone and NCL has a new CEO which is backed by the Board of Directors.

In response to the comment buckirj1 made about customers holding the cards. You are absolutely right. All customers do. When we heard that Regent was purchased by NCL, many Regent customers were saying the same thing. They simply did not want another owner -- another CEO or to be part of a main stream cruise line. Although the only thing "new" to NCL is the CEO, you are bound to feel similarly. Many Regent customers bailed on Regent when it was purchased 7 years ago. However, within a short period of time, the ships were running completely full. Some itineraries were booked a year a head of time. So, whatever customers left simply made room for the hoards of new customers. Again, this seems to be the way of life.

I like the new term "meat and potato cruisers". Keep in mind that most Oceania and Regent cruisers were once meat and potato cruisers (or in my case a meat and potato traveler as I have only cruised for 11 years). Most cruise lines out there target your segment of the cruising population. You have a lot of choices -- we all know that and we aren't even CEO's :)

Edited by Travelcat2

I would also consider NCL Haven as a trade-off to Oceania. Heck, I'd be happy in a standard balcony, if the itinerary was right. But the NCL's itineraries have really gotten to be "been there done that" for us. I was happy to see NCL returning to South America....only wish I could take 14 days off for that. Pricing on those cruises seem to be strong...so perhaps there were other NCL cruisers waiting for something different then they have seen over the past few years.

Guess my take-away from the article is that there might be some new ports for NCL...that can't be a bad thing for the cruisers that are itinerary driven.

It is not clear why Sheehan left on short notice, but many times those at higher levels in all companies have definite items written into their departure packages that dictate what information can be passed to the media.

As I stated previously, it seems Apollo is the driving force that will dictate NCL's future.

Apollo has been the driving force dictating NCL's future from the day in August 2007...7 1/2 years ago...when they purchased 50% of the company for $1 billion from Star Cruises. The conditions of the sale gave them the right to appoint the majority of NCL's board of directors, even though they held the same ownership percentage as Star. Apollo quickly sold part of NCL to TPG Capital, but still retained control of the board. Today, even after taking NCL public, merging with Prestige Cruise Holdings (which was also controlled by Apollo), and selling off a substantial percentage of it's NCLH stock, Apollo still controls the board.

That same Apollo-controlled board named Sheehan CEO of the merged company literally a few weeks before he resigned.

Edited by njhorseman

Sorry -- just assumed since he was extremely excited about the acquisition one minute and was gone the next. He also said that he and FDR butted heads at first (this was said in one of the early press releases). Also, the statement issued is fairly standard. Again, just an assumption. In any case, he is gone and NCL has a new CEO which is backed by the Board of Directors.

In response to the comment buckirj1 made about customers holding the cards. You are absolutely right. All customers do. When we heard that Regent was purchased by NCL, many Regent customers were saying the same thing. They simply did not want another owner -- another CEO or to be part of a main stream cruise line. Although the only thing "new" to NCL is the CEO, you are bound to feel similarly. Many Regent customers bailed on Regent when it was purchased 7 years ago. However, within a short period of time, the ships were running completely full. Some itineraries were booked a year a head of time. So, whatever customers left simply made room for the hoards of new customers. Again, this seems to be the way of life.

I like the new term "meat and potato cruisers". Keep in mind that most Oceania and Regent cruisers were once meat and potato cruisers (or in my case a meat and potato traveler as I have only cruised for 11 years). Most cruise lines out there target your segment of the cruising population. You have a lot of choices -- we all know that and we aren't even CEO's :)

I find your comments about "meat and potato cruisers" and "your segment of the cruising population" to be insulting, condescending and ignorant in the broad-brush way you've used it. There are a lot of us who regularly post here, myself included who only cruise in suites and Haven suites on NCL, and that is hardly a "meat and potato" product. But the way you've said it is even more insulting to those who don't cruise in suites. You sound like you're looking directly down your nose at us.

The fact that we cruise in suites doesn't make us any better than the "meat and potato" cruisers on NCL or any other line, but it does mean that we can and do spend as much or more on a cruise on NCL as many Regent and Oceania passengers spend on their cruises. Believe me...I know what it costs to cruise on Regent and Oceania...they've been sending me brochures for years (and I've never requested them) in an attempt to gain my business, so presumably they've figured out that we can afford more than meat and potatoes.

Speaking of Oceania and Regent prices...or more precisely pricing policies, I find their approach to be on the level of that of a used car salesman or rent-to-own appliance and furniture stores. Every cruise is advertised as "50% off plus free airfare". Then there are the "early booking" discounts that are advertised, and sometimes even increase, right up to the time of the cruise. Do FDR and his marketing crew think they're selling to the "no credit-bad credit-no problem because we'll approve financing for everyone" crowd? Talk about "meat and potato"...these marketing tactics don't even make it to that level. How does that attract the Regent/Oceania champagne and caviar crowd?

Edited by njhorseman

I find your comments about "meat and potato cruisers" and "your segment of the cruising population" to be insulting, condescending and ignorant in the broad-brush way you've used it. There are a lot of us who regularly post here, myself included who only cruise in suites and Haven suites on NCL, and that is hardly a "meat and potato" product. But the way you've said it is even more insulting to those who don't cruise in suites. You sound like you're looking directly down your nose at us.

The fact that we cruise in suites doesn't make us any better than the "meat and potato" cruisers on NCL or any other line, but it does mean that we can and do spend as much or more on a cruise on NCL as many Regent and Oceania passengers spend on their cruises. Believe me...I know what it costs to cruise on Regent and Oceania...they've been sending me brochures for years (and I've never requested them) in an attempt to gain my business, so presumably they've figured out that we can afford more than meat and potatoes.

WOW- you could not be more wrong. I picked up the "meat and potato" cruisers from this thread. It was not my words. However, when you are young and raising a family, there is typically not a lot of extra income for vacations. We have been there and, in our case, worked our way up to staying in Club Med. We felt it was the best all-inclusive around and did not mind the very small rooms that they provided for their guests.

In terms of the brochures that you have been receiving, it makes sense. Oceania and Regent have been looking at cruisers that stay in the top suites of cruise lines in the hopes of driving them to Oceania and Regent. The brochures that I have seen compare the top suites of other lines with the lowest suites on Oceania and Regent. Many times, the cost of a stateroom on Oceania is not far off from a top suite on NCL (when you include free air and included non-alcoholic drinks). HAL, Celebrity and Princess customers have been a marketing target for Regent for the same reasons.

To be honest (and honesty is important to me), I do not understand staying in Haven suites because they are separate from other cruisers (meaning that, from my understanding of this level of cruising on NCL, people that book regular cabins cannot even visit this "special" area of NCL). Many if not most luxury cruisers do not want to cruise in a "class" environment. In other words, people in the top suite or the lowest suite receive the same benefits once they walk outside of their suite. There are no "special" areas of the ship that only "some" people can visit. IMO, NCL's Haven suites are a classic example of a "class system" (which I understand is normal when you sail on mainstream cruise lines. So, when you state "The fact that we cruise in suites doesn't make us any better than the "meat and potato" cruisers on NCL or any other line, but it does mean that we can and do spend as much or more on a cruise on NCL as many Regent and Oceania passengers spend on their cruises.", I strongly disagree. If you stay in the Haven suites, you are in an area that is not accessible to all cruisers. This, IMO, is looking your nose down at other cruisers on the same ship!!!!!

WOW- you could not be more wrong. I picked up the "meat and potato" cruisers from this thread. It was not my words. However, when you are young and raising a family, there is typically not a lot of extra income for vacations. We have been there and, in our case, worked our way up to staying in Club Med. We felt it was the best all-inclusive around and did not mind the very small rooms that they provided for their guests.

In terms of the brochures that you have been receiving, it makes sense. Oceania and Regent have been looking at cruisers that stay in the top suites of cruise lines in the hopes of driving them to Oceania and Regent. The brochures that I have seen compare the top suites of other lines with the lowest suites on Oceania and Regent. Many times, the cost of a stateroom on Oceania is not far off from a top suite on NCL (when you include free air and included non-alcoholic drinks). HAL, Celebrity and Princess customers have been a marketing target for Regent for the same reasons.

To be honest (and honesty is important to me), I do not understand staying in Haven suites because they are separate from other cruisers (meaning that, from my understanding of this level of cruising on NCL, people that book regular cabins cannot even visit this "special" area of NCL). Many if not most luxury cruisers do not want to cruise in a "class" environment. In other words, people in the top suite or the lowest suite receive the same benefits once they walk outside of their suite. There are no "special" areas of the ship that only "some" people can visit. IMO, NCL's Haven suites are a classic example of a "class system" (which I understand is normal when you sail on mainstream cruise lines.) So, when you state "The fact that we cruise in suites doesn't make us any better than the "meat and potato" cruisers on NCL or any other line, but it does mean that we can and do spend as much or more on a cruise on NCL as many Regent and Oceania passengers spend on their cruises.", I strongly disagree. If you stay in the Haven suites, you are in an area that is not accessible to all cruisers. This, IMO, is looking your nose down at other cruisers on the same ship!!!!!

Also, IMO, you would have to be blind to not see that the majority of ships sailing the seven seas are main stream ships. This target is not a put down but a reality. If you look at the NCL board, there are more posts in 2 hours than there are in a month on Oceania and Regent combined. This is not a bad thing and I am not sure why you perceive it as such.

So, if you claim that NCL is not a "meat and potatoes" product, I suggest you take that up with the poster that came up with that name. I simply found it a nice way of describing NCL, Carnival, RCCL, etc. Sorry that you seem so angry about this. My use of the term was not meant in any way to be negative.

Edited by Travelcat2

To be honest (and honesty is important to me), I do not understand staying in Haven suites because they are separate from other cruisers (meaning that, from my understanding of this level of cruising on NCL, people that book regular cabins cannot even visit this "special" area of NCL). Many if not most luxury cruisers do not want to cruise in a "class" environment. In other words, people in the top suite or the lowest suite receive the same benefits once they walk outside of their suite. There are no "special" areas of the ship that only "some" people can visit. IMO, NCL's Haven suites are a classic example of a "class system" (which I understand is normal when you sail on mainstream cruise lines.) So, when you state "The fact that we cruise in suites doesn't make us any better than the "meat and potato" cruisers on NCL or any other line, but it does mean that we can and do spend as much or more on a cruise on NCL as many Regent and Oceania passengers spend on their cruises.", I strongly disagree. If you stay in the Haven suites, you are in an area that is not accessible to all cruisers. This, IMO, is looking your nose down at other cruisers on the same ship!!!!!

Also, IMO, you would have to be blind to not see that the majority of ships sailing the seven seas are main stream ships. This target is not a put down but a reality. If you look at the NCL board, there are more posts in 2 hours than there are in a month on Oceania and Regent combined. This is not a bad thing and I am not sure why you perceive it as such.

So, if you claim that NCL is not a "meat and potatoes" product, I suggest you take that up with the poster that came up with that name. I simply found it a nice way of describing NCL, Carnival, RCCL, etc. Sorry that you seem so angry about this. My use of the term was not meant in any way to be negative.

I didn't have a problem with the term "meat and potatoes" when the other poster came up with it...I have a problem with how you used it. I accept your explanation of you didn't intend to come off as looking down your nose at us, but that's how it read to me.

That aside, you say there are no class distinctions on Regent/Oceania, but what I see is (and at this time of the night I'm not going to try to look up exactly which are on which cruise line, particularly because I've recycled my Regent and Oceania brochures):

(1) Certain stateroom categories having access to a private lounge that lower categories do not.

(2) Certain stateroom categories can more easily get additional specialty restaurant reservations than lower categories.

(3) Certain stateroom categories get priority for reservations on complimentary shore excursions, meaning passengers in lower categories may get shut out of these excursions.

(4) Certain stateroom categories get "free" business class air, with lower categories getting coach class air.

(5) Certain stateroom categories get free internet, lower categories do not.

(6) Higher stateroom categories get priority boarding over lower categories.

Yes...the higher categories pay more, so I have no problem with them receiving extra privileges, but it's in no way classless cruising on Regent and Oceania.

By the way, when I'm in a Haven suite I'm not separated from lower categories 24 hours a day. It's only at the times when I'm using Haven facilities...which is a minority of the time.

I have nothing against the meat and potatoes cruise lines...I cruise on them all the time. NCL has accounted for perhaps only half of my cruises.

I see you didn't have anything to say about my final paragraph on Regent/Oceania's used car dealer-type marketing and pricing strategy. Am I to take that to mean you agree? Or is the champagne and caviar crowd blind to the fact that their favorite cruise lines seem to have employed a PT Barnum disciple as their head of marketing? I have to agree with the poster who observed that FDR reminds him a lot of former NCL CEO Colin Veitch.

Edited by njhorseman

It is interesting sitting across the pond listening to the 7-day discussions as though they are the be all and end all of NCL business. It is true that most of the contributors to this particular board are from the USA, but there are a lot other people who have money to spend alfoat and neither live nor work in the USA.

The paid holiday entitlements for most US workers are the lowest in the developed world and most can only spare 7-ish days a year to cruise. If you are aiming your business purely at that market then clearly you are going to stick to the 7-day limit. You will, of course, have those who have retired and have enough cash to spend on their holidays and so could extend your choice a little to get them to cruise with you, but you will soon hit a ceiling and let's not forget you also have to compete in a very crowded market place with many broadly similar products.

Kevin Sheehan has committed NCL to increase the number of passenger births in the fleet by almost 100% by the time the rest of the new ships on order arrive. FDR has the task of filling those births by increasing the number of passenger days by that extra 100% and making more profits at the same time.

An interesting population statistic to look at is that by numbers alone there are 130% more potential passengers in Europe than the USA (never mind more in Canada, the Far East and Aus/NZ) most of whom are well able to take 14-21 days together in order to cruise. Add to that fact that by the time Europeans have bridged the pond, the cost of their cruise has been almost doubled by the air fare. A 7-day cruise either side of an exhausting day/night flight is much less attracrive than one lasting 12 or 14 days and costs a lot less per day than a 7-day one. Reverse that argument for USA residents wanting to see Europe, and the 12-14 day trips there become more attractive to those USA citizens who can take more time. Not only that, but only having to change those customers round togtether with all of their luggage every 14 days instead of every 3,4 or 7 days would reduce the number and hence bottom-line costs of those reduced numbers of turnarounds.

Take those overwhelming stats, and then looking at the benefits of that extra body of potential customers more than doubling your potential market with passengers who have much more time to spend on your ships and you can begin to see where FDR's mind could (maybe should) be taking him.

Answer - Stick to the 7-day passenger day numbers for your current market and use more of those extra passenger days to service a huge market with very different contraints and requirements and attaract them to spend their dollars, euros, pounds etc on your ships by keeping them aboard longer.;)

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head with this.

I like most workers in the UK / Europe get around 25 days paid leave and most take them in 2wk chunks. When I tell them I'm off for only a week it's often shock, it takes a few days to forget about work and before you know it your heading back.

I can't justify high air fares to the US/Caribbean just for a 1-wk cruise, but if they started to offer 2wk itineraries I'd seriously consider it. I wonder just how many other potential cruisers look and then choose an alternate.

Hopefully Bliss out of Southampton Summer/Barcelona winter on some 2wk med runs or Scandinavian runs

Etc..

I would welcome varied itineraries of different lengths. I don't think he's talking about eliminating 7 day cruises, I think he just wants to offer more options.

That is exactly how I see it and I too want to see new itineraries. We are Cuzumeled out for isntance: the same with St Thomas. Give us something to get excited about. I have to admit, because we are retired we can take longer cruises and prefer 10 days. If we are paying outlandish air prices and spending one night in an overpriced hotel, give us new ports and more choices in the length of the cruise.

I see you didn't have anything to say about my final paragraph on Regent/Oceania's used car dealer-type marketing and pricing strategy. Am I to take that to mean you agree? Or is the champagne and caviar crowd blind to the fact that their favorite cruise lines seem to have employed a PT Barnum disciple as their head of marketing? I have to agree with the poster who observed that FDR reminds him a lot of former NCL CEO Colin Veitch.

If NCL starts using the same types of tactics then they will likely lose me. For example, a March 2016 cruise in a balcony on Breakaway is $2272 with my choice of UBP, UDP or OBC, while a cruise on CCL out of Baltimore is just under $1600. Now, if we pick the UBP that would more than make up the difference, but we don't buy the UBP now so there's no lure. The OBC for the cabin category was $75. And we don't eat in the specialty restaurants so the value for us isn't there for the UDP either.

I know that some of the difference in price is due to the newness of BA and the NYC market but an over $600 difference is hard to ignore and all other things being equal we would probably choose CCL if we were looking to book a cruise at that time (especially since I prefer the smaller ships, but that tune may change after we've actually been on BA). So while I may look at the value of the included items when choosing a sailing the bottom line is still the bottom line and paying more upfront for a cruise cuts against the grain, even if what's included does add enough value to warrant the difference.

If you stay in the Haven suites, you are in an area that is not accessible to all cruisers. This, IMO, is looking your nose down at other cruisers on the same ship!!!!!

:rolleyes:

There are other possibilities. We've never cruised in a Haven suite, but if we could afford it we would. Not because we want to look down on anyone, but because most of our family are introverts. A quieter, less crowded experience, at least part of the time, is a lot more enjoyable for us. It has nothing to do with class, and everything to do with temperament and personal preference.

I didn't have a problem with the term "meat and potatoes" when the other poster came up with it...I have a problem with how you used it. I accept your explanation of you didn't intend to come off as looking down your nose at us, but that's how it read to me.

That aside, you say there are no class distinctions on Regent/Oceania, but what I see is (and at this time of the night I'm not going to try to look up exactly which are on which cruise line, particularly because I've recycled my Regent and Oceania brochures):

(1) Certain stateroom categories having access to a private lounge that lower categories do not.

(2) Certain stateroom categories can more easily get additional specialty restaurant reservations than lower categories.

(3) Certain stateroom categories get priority for reservations on complimentary shore excursions, meaning passengers in lower categories may get shut out of these excursions.

(4) Certain stateroom categories get "free" business class air, with lower categories getting coach class air.

(5) Certain stateroom categories get free internet, lower categories do not.

(6) Higher stateroom categories get priority boarding over lower categories.

Yes...the higher categories pay more, so I have no problem with them receiving extra privileges, but it's in no way classless cruising on Regent and Oceania.

By the way, when I'm in a Haven suite I'm not separated from lower categories 24 hours a day. It's only at the times when I'm using Haven facilities...which is a minority of the time.

I have nothing against the meat and potatoes cruise lines...I cruise on them all the time. NCL has accounted for perhaps only half of my cruises.

Regarding your last paragraph, I ran out of time and for some reason do not see much of Regent's brochures and/or advertisements so I don't have much to say about it. I dislike the use of the words "free" because nothing is "free". We pay for air, excursions, etc. in our cruise fare. So, I agree that the marketing could be improved -- particularly for a luxury cruise line.

I think I need to separate the items you listed into what is done by Oceania and what is done by Regent. Oceania does have a separate area for certain categories of people and, IMO, this is a class system. People in higher categories do get additional dining reservations but I put do not think of this as part of a "class" system (will describe when discussing Regent below). Priority boarding is my hot button - I abhor that Oceania does this. I imagine people sitting for 2-3 hours watching others board while they cannot. I have been told that, if there is no one waiting, you can board but I do not know this as a fact. What I do know from when we boarded the Riviera in November, 2014, is that there are separate lines to check in -- one for the three top levels of suites, one for penthouse suites and two others -- could not read the signs.

Two or three years ago I had a conversation with Frank Del Rio about class systems. Certainly if a person pays more money, they will have a larger cabin/suite (note: I use the word "suite" a lot when referring to Regent as two of their ships are all suite/all balconies and one is all suites and 80% balconies). On luxury cruise ships, once you walk outside of your suite, everyone is treated the same. To me this means that it doesn't matter what amenities you have inside the suite (butler, internet, etc.), when you out of your suite, no one knows or cares what category you are in.

Unlike Oceania, you do not present your suite key very often on Regent. On Oceania, even if you have purchased their alcohol package, you present your "World Card" which shows the category you are staying in. I'm not saying that this affects the service you get but it bothers me that the crew know what category guests are staying in. On Regent you only present your suite key when you purchase something in the boutique, walk onto of off of the ship, purchase very high level wine, etc. The only thing you can tell from the suite key is your name and your loyalty status (i.e. Gold Seven Seas Society members have a gold colored card, Silver a silver colored card, etc.)

So, when you mention that some categories receive Business Class air (only in Europe), this is true but unless you tell someone that you flew Business Class and that it was included, no one would know. The same is true for other items you mentioned (like pre-booking reservations -- only 1 per restaurant -- and excursions). This is not something that is seen on the ship. So, going back to an earlier statement, on Regent (and other luxury cruise lines), once you step foot outside your door, everyone is treated the same. For this reason I cannot call this a "class" system.

I apologize for stating that neither Oceania or Regent has a class system. I am much more familiar with Regent and have only sailed on Oceania because their new ships are amazing, the food is spectacular (in the specialty restaurants) and the price for a huge suite was much more affordable than on Regent.

While l have never heard of Colin Veitch, I hope you will put up with a short story about why I did not like Kevin Sheehan. I watched Undercover Boss twice (once before and once after NCL purchased Regent). There was something that stood out to me at the end of the show. Of the 30+ Undercover Boss programs we have watched, we look forward to the end of the show when the "boss" gives meaningful gifts to these special employees -- they hug -- the employee often cries and, in some cases, the CEO does as well. Kevin Sheehan was the only "boss" that did not hug an employee -- not even one of them. I share this story to illustrate that the perception of a person based on what they see in an interview or on television could be wrong. From what I read on the NCL boards, Kevin Sheehan was a popular CEO, liked by just about everyone and is missed.

Edited by Travelcat2

Regarding your last paragraph, I ran out of time and for some reason do not see much of Regent's brochures and/or advertisements so I don't have much to say about it. I dislike the use of the words "free" because nothing is "free". We pay for air, excursions, etc. in our cruise fare. So, I agree that the marketing could be improved -- particularly for a luxury cruise line.

I think I need to separate the items you listed into what is done by Oceania and what is done by Regent. Oceania does have a separate area for certain categories of people and, IMO, this is a class system. People in higher categories do get additional dining reservations but I put do not think of this as part of a "class" system (will describe when discussing Regent below). Priority boarding is my hot button - I abhor that Oceania does this. I imagine people sitting for 2-3 hours watching others board while they cannot. I have been told that, if there is no one waiting, you can board but I do not know this as a fact. What I do know from when we boarded the Riviera in November, 2014, is that there are separate lines to check in -- one for the three top levels of suites, one for penthouse suites and two others -- could not read the signs.

Two or three years ago I had a conversation with Frank Del Rio about class systems. Certainly if a person pays more money, they will have a larger cabin/suite (note: I use the word "suite" a lot when referring to Regent as two of their ships are all suite/all balconies and one is all suites and 80% balconies). On luxury cruise ships, once you walk outside of your suite, everyone is treated the same. To me this means that it doesn't matter what amenities you have inside the suite (butler, internet, etc.), when you out of your suite, no one knows or cares what category you are in.

Unlike Oceania, you do not present your suite key very often on Regent. On Oceania, even if you have purchased their alcohol package, you present your "World Card" which shows the category you are staying in. I'm not saying that this affects the service you get but it bothers me that the crew know what category guests are staying in. On Regent you only present your suite key when you purchase something in the boutique, walk onto of off of the ship, purchase very high level wine, etc. The only thing you can tell from the suite key is your name and your loyalty status (i.e. Gold Seven Seas Society members have a gold colored card, Silver a silver colored card, etc.)

So, when you mention that some categories receive Business Class air (only in Europe), this is true but unless you tell someone that you flew Business Class and that it was included, no one would know. The same is true for other items you mentioned (like pre-booking reservations -- only 1 per restaurant -- and excursions). This is not something that is seen on the ship. So, going back to an earlier statement, on Regent (and other luxury cruise lines), once you step foot outside your door, everyone is treated the same. For this reason I cannot call this a "class" system.

I apologize for stating that neither Oceania or Regent has a class system. I am much more familiar with Regent and have only sailed on Oceania because their new ships are amazing, the food is spectacular (in the specialty restaurants) and the price for a huge suite was much more affordable than on Regent.

While l have never heard of Colin Veitch, I hope you will put up with a short story about why I did not like Kevin Sheehan. I watched Undercover Boss twice (once before and once after NCL purchased Regent). There was something that stood out to me at the end of the show. Of the 30+ Undercover Boss programs we have watched, we look forward to the end of the show when the "boss" gives meaningful gifts to these special employees -- they hug -- the employee often cries and, in some cases, the CEO does as well. Kevin Sheehan was the only "boss" that did not hug an employee -- not even one of them. I share this story to illustrate that the perception of a person based on what they see in an interview or on television could be wrong. From what I read on the NCL boards, Kevin Sheehan was a popular CEO, liked by just about everyone and is missed.

Your description of the treatment you receive on the two luxury lines is identical to NCL.

The key cards are random color, and once you are out of your cabin (or haven area) nobody knows what class of cabinyou have booked unless you tell them. The treatment and service is the same for those in inside cabins as those in suites.

Some perks are given to those in the higher priced cabins but overall, everyone is treated equally unless utilizing one of the perks.

Regarding Sheehan -- He paid for the wedding of the employee who recognized him plus some other things that were not included in the show. He was well liked and respected by many of the crew.

Edited by swedish weave

Your description of the treatment you receive on the two luxury lines is identical to NCL.

The key cards are random color, and once you are out of your cabin (or haven area) nobody knows what class of cabinyou have booked unless you tell them. The treatment and service is the same for those in inside cabins as those in suites.

Some perks are given to those in the higher priced cabins but overall, everyone is treated equally unless utilizing one of the perks.

Except that you are in a "class" and cannot go to the Haven area just like you can't go into the Executive Lounge on Oceania.

Are you positive that the key cards are "random colors". It would be nice if they were but I suspect that the colors mean something -- even if, like Regent, they indicate how many days you have sailed on NCL.

You formed a bad impression of Sheehan because he didn't hug his employees?

Frankly, I'd consider that a plus: professionalism, good boundaries, etc. :cool:

Except that you are in a "class" and cannot go to the Haven area just like you can't go into the Executive Lounge on Oceania.

Are you positive that the key cards are "random colors". It would be nice if they were but I suspect that the colors mean something -- even if, like Regent, they indicate how many days you have sailed on NCL.

I have a collection of many key cards and the color of the card is random.

Some areas are restricted to those who have paid for the use of "ship within a ship" privilege. The GV, solo cabin area, haven, are accessed by key card. I do not see that as a class system, but a perk that is available to those who wish to pay for that amenity.

Edited by swedish weave

Although on GETAWAY for instance, my key card showed my Latitudes past passenger level. It didn't on PEARL but I think they are using an older style card. So the staff may not know if you're in a suite, but they have an idea of how often you sail on NCL.

Although on GETAWAY for instance, my key card showed my Latitudes past passenger level. It didn't on PEARL but I think they are using an older style card. So the staff may not know if you're in a suite, but they have an idea of how often you sail on NCL.

That is correct. The person who looks at your card can tell what your lattitudes status is, but they don't know the type of cabin you have unless they swipe it and see what shows in the computer.

Some ships have restricted areas such as Vibe, Posh, and probably some other names, that you can purchase access to if you choose, but they are not associated with your cabin type.

Edited by swedish weave

You formed a bad impression of Sheehan because he didn't hug his employees?

Frankly, I'd consider that a plus: professionalism, good boundaries, etc. :cool:

I agree.

Also Undercover Boss is everything that is wrong with companies. I cannot watch it anymore. Execs make decisions and do not see or understand how they affect day to day workers; usually because they never worked in the industry. Then on this show they give token solutions to three employees out of thousands. Show is a farce.

Some areas are restricted to those who have paid for the use of "ship within a ship" privilege. The GV, solo cabin area, haven, are accessed by key card. I do not see that as a class system, but a perk that is available to those who wish to pay for that amenity.

Not arguing but I see it as a huge ship with a small area that is more luxurious than the rest of the ship. However, once you walk out of this exclusive area, you are still on a huge, main stream cruise ship. My preference is for a entire ship to be like the Haven which, IMO, is why they have small luxury cruise lines.

Also have a comment regarding a sentence posted by njhorseman: "Or is the champagne and caviar crowd blind to the fact that their favorite cruise lines seem to have employed a PT Barnum disciple as their head of marketing?"

It sounds like you are making assumptions about people that sail on luxury cruise ships. We learned to enjoy champagne and caviar when we were meat and potato travelers. In 1987 you could use frequent flyer miles (125,000) to go around the world -- Business Class on TWA and Qantas. We did this for five weeks. Along with "free" airfare came coupons for half-price hotel stays. The flights in those days were amazing. We were offered Russian caviar and Dom Perignon champagne so often that we got tired of seeing it (we wouldn't nowadays:-) Even with being spoiled as much as we were, it took until 2004 before we booked a luxury cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

NCL key card colors are not entirely random. The old system had silver cards for Haven suites and purple cards for non-Haven suites.

The new system, which went into effect a few months ago, maintains silver cards for Haven suites and purple cards for non-Haven suites, but also introduces orange cards for first time cruisers and turquoise cards for repeat cruisers.

NCL key card colors are not entirely random. The old system had silver cards for Haven suites and purple cards for non-Haven suites.

The new system, which went into effect a few months ago, maintains silver cards for Haven suites and purple cards for non-Haven suites, but also introduces orange cards for first time cruisers and turquoise cards for repeat cruisers.

Thanks !! I wasn't aware of that when I posted.

Since I have never booked the "high rent district" and in over 40 cruises on NCL, haven't had any service issues I had no reason to question anything but the cards I have.

Pretty much every cruise line has an area that not everyone can go or an event that not everyone can go to, only suite passengers or some loyalty passengers.

On Celebrity, there is a dedicated lounge for suite and Zenith (their top tier loyalty program), there will also be a suite restaurant, there is also a Elite and Elite+ Captain's Club cocktail party nightly.....not everyone can go to these events or areas.

On Princess, there is a dedicated lounge for suite passengers, events for only their loyalty passengers...not everyone can go to these events or areas.

Royal Caribbean, there is VIP pool deck seating for suite passengers, private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurant on certain ships, nightly cocktail party for Diamond customers....not everyone can go to these events or areas.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you can figure out, that it is the standard on cruise lines. You pay more, you get more.

Yes, the cards are random colors. I've cruise the same ship in the same suite more than once and the key cards are different colors.

I don't understand why people are so upset over what others get, unless it is jealousy. I don't cruise in a Haven suite, just a regular old penthouse suite and I don't get to use the Haven area, but I could care less and have no issue with someone else getting to use the area. It is not that NCL is taking every passenger up to the Haven and saying, see this is what you can't have or introducing them to the Concierge, but saying you can't use them. I would even bet that the majority of the passengers have no idea that the Haven exists (on my last cruise, a couple pushed the button for the Haven floor and when it didn't work, because you have to have a key, they had to ask what was on the floor and you know what, it wasn't an issue for them, their comment was, well hopefully one day when we are older, we can cruise up there) nor do they have any idea that suite passengers, like me, can have breakfast and lunch in a specialty restaurant. Which, BTW, I rarely have in these restaurants, because I enjoy breakfast and lunch in the buffet.

BTW, all cruise lines have special embarkation/disembarkation lines, times, lounges, etc. for their different tier customers, be it suites, top line loyalty programs, casino invitees, etc. Again, if you have to be the first person on the ship and don't want to watch others get on before you, book a suite.

This "class" system as you call it is everywhere. It is in hotels, where there are dedicated concierge floors, where they get drinks and snacks for free, on airlines, where first class gets bigger seats, booze and meals, etc.

I was in a non-Haven suite in November and I did not have a purple card.