Interview Article - Del Rio's Shake Up Plans for NCL

Imasima752

Travelcat2 sorry for disturbing but as i saw you have never sailed ncl so by saying this i mean you dont know what ncl is what freestyle is and what is the reason we ncl fans love it so much...maybe regent became better with del rio the thing is that we dont want ncl to change we want it to maintain its status its core passengers and its ambiance.somi believe that talking on a forum about ncl without even having sailed on ncl yet is not so right.

No, I have not sailed on NCL which is why I did not comment on the cruise line itself. My post was simply about FDR, how he has been as a leader of other cruise lines and how he deals with discounted travel on those cruise lines. My post was in response to concerns about this issue as well as about comments that Mr. Del Rio has made. I certainly understand that very few people want change. We didn't want Regent to change either. Sorry that my post upset you.

Hypercafe: As you know, Oceania is not going to be like NCL nor will Oceania be like NCL (at least not in terms of food and entertainment). Oceania stages are not even large enough to accommodate the type of entertainment that they can offer on NCL).

I would welcome varied itineraries of different lengths. I don't think he's talking about eliminating 7 day cruises, I think he just wants to offer more options.

I really hope so. I've enjoyed seven day cruises but we look for longer ones that go where we haven't already been now that we've retired.

A mix of both would be great.

Re FDR and the TA debacle that caused problems for Ranaissance.

The TA problem occurred in the late 1990's while FDR was in charge and Binder was VP sales for Ranaissance. The company tried to regain confidence of the TA's in 2000, but went bankrupt 9/26/2001 and left many TA's holding the bag for deposits.

History appears to show that FDR led Renaissance to the brink of financial failure and left the company before the actual failure. He then got financing and began leasing some of the ships which eventually became part of Oceania.

Note that Binder is now on the board of directors for NCL along with FDR .

The major portion of Prestige was sold to Apollo in 2007 and FDR continued to run that company.

It seems that Apollo is the driving force behind the future of NCL.

Edited by swedish weave

The TA problem occurred in the late 1990's while FDR was in charge and Binder was VP sales for Ranaissance. The company tried to regain confidence of the TA's in 2000, but went bankrupt 9/26/2001 and left many TA's holding the bag for deposits.

History appears to show that FDR led Renaissance to the brink of financial failure and left the company before the actual failure. He then got financing and began leasing some of the ships which eventually became part of Oceania.

The major portion of Prestige was sold to Apollo in 2007 and FDR continued to run that company.

Interesting and thanks for sharing. So from what you wrote Del Rio played a major role in the demise of Renaissance as well as the plan to cut out travel agents. Someone earlier mentioned he played no role. I do remember him at Renaissance but can't remember the timeline. I also remember the name Bob Binder and I now I know from where!

It surprises me that any travel agent would do business with a company that Del Rio is associated with based on his alleged history with Renaissance. Perhaps he wasn't the one responsible, or travel agents have just forgotten or forgiven? I vividly recall at the time a virtual boycott by all travel agents of Renaissance. It wasn't long before the line was history. Unfortunately it's not easy finding much history on Renaissance.

Apollo buys 50% of NCL 8/27/2007 http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Apollo-buys-50-of-NCL-Corp-from-Star-Cruises-in-1B-sale

Almost instant CORRECTION: I was off by a couple of months. It was January 2008 that Regent was purchased.

Your "facts" are simply not correct regarding Renaissance. One of the major reasons for the demise of Renaissance was "Renaissance Cruises was a cruise ship operating company originally founded in 1989 owned by Fearnley & Eger Rederi in Oslo, Norway, but was later purchased by Edward Rudner (founder of Alamo Car Rental) as the company faltered during the Gulf War. They operated year-round cruise itineraries to the Mediterranean Sea, the Greek Isles, Tahiti and the South Pacific, northern Europe and Scandinavia. The company ceased operations on 25 September 2001, having accommodated up to 220,000 guests in 2000. While the company had been in poor financial health for quite some time, the economic decline resulting from the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks is credited with the demise of this cruise line. The fleet is listed under List of cruise ships. It was headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.[1]"

However, it is true that Apollo drives NCL, Regent and Oceania and they have put almost all decision making powers into the hands of Frank Del Rio. If what you claim regarding Renaissance had been true, Apollo would be idiots to buy Oceania and Regent for $3+ billion dollars, remove Sheehan and put FDR in his place.

Note: Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about regarding "the major portion of Prestige being sold to Apollo in 2007". Simply not true. What is true that Prestige Cruise Holdings purchased Regent in January, 2008 (they purchased Oceania prior to that).

Truly not trying to bash people. However, if people on the NCL board believe this information, it would be sad and would lead them to believe things that are not true. This is not fair to NCL passengers. I personally was a customer of Regent prior to PCH (Prestige Cruise Holdings) purchasing Regent in January 2008 and am stating what happened. It is a matter of record. If anyone doubts this information, they need to do their research.

Edited by Travelcat2

Your "facts" are simply not correct regarding Renaissance. One of the major reasons for the demise of Renaissance was "Renaissance Cruises was a cruise ship operating company originally founded in 1989 owned by Fearnley & Eger Rederi in Oslo, Norway, but was later purchased by Edward Rudner (founder of Alamo Car Rental) as the company faltered during the Gulf War. They operated year-round cruise itineraries to the Mediterranean Sea, the Greek Isles, Tahiti and the South Pacific, northern Europe and Scandinavia. The company ceased operations on 25 September 2001, having accommodated up to 220,000 guests in 2000. While the company had been in poor financial health for quite some time, the economic decline resulting from the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks is credited with the demise of this cruise line. The fleet is listed under List of cruise ships. It was headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.[1]"

However, it is true that Apollo drives NCL, Regent and Oceania and they have put almost all decision making powers into the hands of Frank Del Rio. If what you claim regarding Renaissance had been true, Apollo would be idiots to buy Oceania and Regent for $3+ billion dollars, remove Sheehan and put FDR in his place.

Note: Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about regarding "the major portion of Prestige being sold to Apollo in 2007". Simply not true. What is true that Prestige Cruise Holdings purchased Regent in January, 2008 (they purchased Oceania prior to that).

Truly not trying to bash people. However, if people on the NCL board believe this information, it would be sad and would lead them to believe things that are not true. This is not fair to NCL passengers. I personally was a customer of Regent prior to PCH (Prestige Cruise Holdings) purchasing Regent in January 2008 and am stating what happened. It is a matter of record. If anyone doubts this information, they need to do their research.

Partial quote from LAW360

Sep 2, 2014 ... New York-based Apollo acquired a majority stake in Prestige in 2007, in a $850 million deal, and in January 2008, made a $1 billion cash ...

Other details of this transaction may be obtained from the annals of WSJ, Reuters, Wiki, and many more. It was also filed (as required by law) with the SEC.

Before you begin to dispute the facts I post, you should do your research to avoid sounding silly. It is better to be informed than opinionated.

All the information I posted was obtained from sources on the internet that I consider much more reliable than the opinions expressed on CC by those who don't take the time to check the details.

Renaissance was in financial trouble long before the 9/11 incident. That was simply the "straw that broke the camels back, or was a whitewashed reason for them to fold. Please research before you dispute this statement also.

It may become apparent that the Apollo transactions could be classed as "in house deals".

Edited by swedish weave

This post has been very interesting to me. I have cruised NCL so I may be a bit biased, but NCL is not the only cruise line I have cruised with.

That said, anyone in leadership/management and even marketing knows that perception is reality; especially when trying to sell something. So far, IMHO and perception, FDR is not coming across like he is interested in the current NCL customer. Trying to make a buck by changing NCL to <place another cruise line name here> probably will not work; all of those other cruise lines are already in place and there is a reason the loyal NCL cruisers do not cruise with them.

The NCL product has become successful under the direction of Mr. Sheehan for a reason; I would think it would be in FDR's best interest to pay attention to it and not some weak marketing research, a marketing initiative that tells their management what they want to hear or marketing that believes they know the current NCL customer. This is often the downfall of corporate initiatives; I could list a few here.

I shall wait and see what happens; there are all of those other cruise lines I can cruise with if NCL moves to be a disappointment.

Again, perception is reality and currently, IMO, the perception of where NCL is headed, is not good for the current NCL customer.

Thanks for listening to my opinion. :)

Interesting and thanks for sharing. So from what you wrote Del Rio played a major role in the demise of Renaissance as well as the plan to cut out travel agents. Someone earlier mentioned he played no role. I do remember him at Renaissance but can't remember the timeline. I also remember the name Bob Binder and I now I know from where!

It surprises me that any travel agent would do business with a company that Del Rio is associated with based on his alleged history with Renaissance. Perhaps he wasn't the one responsible, or travel agents have just forgotten or forgiven? I vividly recall at the time a virtual boycott by all travel agents of Renaissance. It wasn't long before the line was history. Unfortunately it's not easy finding much history on Renaissance.

I found a link to some SunSentinel articles that state Del Rio resigned from Renaissance as Co-chief executive in May 2001. That is four months before they went into bankruptcy. Some more interesting info in that link.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/keyword/renaissance-cruises

Edited by swedish weave

I found a link to some SunSentinel articles that state Del Rio resigned from Renaissance as Co-chief executive in May 2001. That is four months before they went into bankruptcy. Some more interesting info in that link.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/keyword/renaissance-cruises

Thanks for the link. This particular article (see link below) is of interest to me. It pretty much proves that Del Rio was at the very least supportive if not the man behind the move to eliminate or drastically reduce the travel agent distribution channel for Renaissance Cruises. Not good. The line eventurally reversed its commission cap policy but it was too late. No travel agent would sell them and Renaissance went bankrupt a couple years later.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1999-09-12/travel/9909080316_1_renaissance-cruises-two-cruise-travel-agents

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-06-14/business/0006130580_1_renaissance-cruises-travel-agents-del-rio

Edited by eroller

Lots of misinformation in this thread. The truth is a long story but I'll try to make it brief. My information is partly from research, partly from my travel agent who played a big role in the story, and partly from personal conversations with Mr. Del Rio.

FDR is a CPA. He was CFO of Renaissance. Ren got in financial trouble primarily because the owner eschewed paying a commission. At that time, before Google, people chose cruises based on the recommendation of their travel agent, usually local. Travel agents logically did not recommend Ren because they weren't going to make any money.

Other factors were that Ren was absolutely smoke free and adult only. One of the biggest factors was they built 8 ships in such a short time they didn't even try to come up with names; they were called the R-1 through R-8.

Rather than being the cause of the financial problems, FDR was promoted to co-CEO in charge of marketing to increase revenue (his co-CEO was in charge of operations). His accomplishment was to bring travel agents into the fold, not to keep them away. He accomplished this with the help of a highly successful travel agent, one who booked travel for many Hollywood stars, who gave him advice and counseling, and who talked up the changes at Ren to fellow agents (full disclosure, she's my travel agent).

FDR's efforts to increase revenue were successful enough to make the company a good purchase. The company was sold in May, 2001. Unfortunately, the new owner had his own candidate for CEO, and both FDR and his co-CEO were fired.

The tragedy of 9/11 occurred 4 months later, most travel stopped and did not appear to improve in the relatively near term. The new owner took Ren bankrupt a couple of weeks later.

The 8 R-ships were repossessed by the French organization which had financed them (they were constructed in france). Remembering the remarkable success that FDR had achieved in turning the company around, the French asked him to create a new cruise line and charter one or more of the ships. FDR, with the help of friends and family (many of whom are still shareholders in the company), and in partnership with former Crystal maven raised $14 Million in 2002

Lots of misinformation in this thread. The truth is a long story but I'll try to make it brief. My information is partly from research, partly from my travel agent who played a big role in the story, and partly from personal conversations with Mr. Del Rio.

FDR is a CPA. He was CFO of Renaissance. Ren got in financial trouble primarily because the owner eschewed paying a commission. At that time, before Google, people chose cruises based on the recommendation of their travel agent, usually local. Travel agents logically did not recommend Ren because they weren't going to make any money.

Other factors were that Ren was absolutely smoke free and adult only. One of the biggest factors was they built 8 ships in such a short time they didn't even try to come up with names; they were called the R-1 through R-8.

Rather than being the cause of the financial problems, FDR was promoted to co-CEO in charge of marketing to increase revenue (his co-CEO was in charge of operations). His accomplishment was to bring travel agents into the fold, not to keep them away. He accomplished this with the help of a highly successful travel agent, one who booked travel for many Hollywood stars, who gave him advice and counseling, and who talked up the changes at Ren to fellow agents (full disclosure, she's my travel agent).

FDR's efforts to increase revenue were successful enough to make the company a good purchase. The company was sold in May, 2001. Unfortunately, the new owner had his own candidate for CEO, and both FDR and his co-CEO were fired.

The tragedy of 9/11 occurred 4 months later, most travel stopped and did not appear to improve in the relatively near term. The new owner took Ren bankrupt a couple of weeks later.

The 8 R-ships were repossessed by the French organization which had financed them (they were constructed in france). Remembering the remarkable success that FDR had achieved in turning the company around, the French asked him to create a new cruise line and charter one or more of the ships. FDR, with the help of friends and family (many of whom are still shareholders in the company), and in partnership with former Crystal maven raised $14 Million in 2002

Interesting information. Thank you. So perhaps Del Rio was just following orders when the commission cuts were implemented and Renaissance tried to bypass agents? None the less he has made some disparaging remarks about travel agents if you read some of the articles in the Sun Sentinel links. Not a big deal today but 15 years ago not cool. It was a different time. Also it's interesting because almost all lines have personal cruise consultants today, but 15 years ago the industry wasn't quite ready for that, and Renaissance wasn't strong or big enough to be that catalyst for that change. When they discovered they really couldn't survive without agents it was too late.

Anyway while some details still seem a bit sketchy your insider information is greatly appreciated. For me the verdict is still out on Del Rio, but I'm certainly willing to give him a chance and see what he does with NCL. Those at Oceania and Regent seem to think highly of him, and no doubt he has learned from past mistakes. I just don't think he can run NCL under the same business plan and philosophies as Oceania and Regent. Different animals that require different ways of thinking and doing business. One size does not fit all in the cruise industry.

The 8 R-ships were repossessed by the French organization which had financed them (they were constructed in france). Remembering the remarkable success that FDR had achieved in turning the company around, the French asked him to create a new cruise line and charter one or more of the ships. FDR, with the help of friends and family (many of whom are still shareholders in the company), and in partnership with former Crystal maven Joe Watters, raised $14 Million in 2002. The maiden voyage of Regatta was on July 5, 2003. She was quickly joined by Insignia and Nautica.

In 2007, Apollo management purchased 70% of Oceania for nearly $1 Billion. In 2008, Apollo completed the purchase of Regent Seven Seas. Prestige Cruise Holdings was then created as a division of Apollo and both Oceania and Regent were rolled into Prestige. Apollo did NOT purchase Prestige; it didn't exist until after both Oceania and Regent purchases. The Apollo board wisely named Mr. Del Rio and his top management team to run Prestige.

As Travelcat2 has stated, Regent passengers were fearful of the changes that FDR might bring. There is even a familiar ring to the wail, "he doesn't know how to run a mass market cruise line"; in those days it was "he doesn't know how to run a luxury cruise line. What she has related is that Regent is still Regent, but better!

What those of us who personally know FDR expect is that NCL will stay NCL, only better, as well. He appreciates the differences in the three tiers, each attracting a different market. However, he also knew how to create a $14 Million cruise line that became a $1 Billion cruise line in just 4 years, and how to succeed with Prestige to the point that it brought over $3 Billion from NCL

The one thing I of which I can assure you is that nobody spends that kind of money to homogenize the three distinct cruise lines into one common body.

Mr. Sheehan was undoubtedly successful with NCL. As a Platinum member of NCL Latitudes, I can assure you I liked him, too. As a long time cruiser with Oceania (booked on the 180 day around-the-world cruise in 2016), and as a friend of FDR, I can assure you he did not seek this position and was in no way responsible for Mr. Sheehan's departure. In fact, Mr. Sheehan stated he was passing the baton the Mr. Del Rio and leaving the company in good hands.

I personally consider Frank Del Rio a cruise genius, based on all his previous success. I'm thrilled he is now in charge of my favorite cruise lines, Oceania and NCL, and I see nothing but a bright future.

hondorner knows the situation much better than I do -- even though we also know FDR. What I posted earlier was information (correct or not) from news articles.

I understand that some people feel that the sky is falling. Having been through changes of ownership twice, there were people that imagined changes when there were none. Some Regent passengers have recently starting blaming NCL if they have a bad meal or if they perceive that anything is different since NCL purchased Regent. They are as concerned about becoming like NCL as NCL is about becoming "Oceania Lite".

Change is inevitable. Can anyone say that NCL is the same as it was before Kevin Sheehan became CEO? Whether you think it is better or you think it is worse, it is not the same.

A few Regent and/or Oceania passengers have come to the NCL board in an attempt to be helpful and share information -- not to argue. Perhaps it wasn't the right thing to do as it is likely that NCL will blame FDR for anything that goes wrong and Regent and Oceania will blame NCL. Personally, I will continue to evaluate Regent as I have every year since we began sailing with them in 2004. If they no longer offer what we want, we would change cruise lines. For now, we have two cruises booked this year, one booked for next with another "almost" booked.

Believe it or not, in a couple of years, all of the people new to NCL, Regent or Oceania will not know or care much about what is going on right now. They will sail with their families and loved ones and enjoy the experience.

I for one appreciate all the insight and perspective. I don't consider any of this arguing but interesting and informative dialog. We will all have our viewpoints and biases and those are interesting too. It's nice to hear from some people familiar with Del Rio and he seems well respected. I wouldn't necessarily call him a genius and he has made some mistakes in the past, but it appears NCL is in capable hands, or at least I hope so.

Honestly up until a few months ago I really didn't care much what happened to NCL. All that changed after a truly exceptional cruise on the GETAWAY. It afforded a new appreciation of NCL I hadn't experienced since the NORWAY back in the 80's.

I look forward to many more NCL cruises and hope they only get better. I haven't ventured to Oceania and Regent yet as Azamara and Silversea are my lines of choice for those market segments. I'm Platinum with NCL and some reciprocal benefits might be just the push I need to give Oceania and Regent a shot.

I'm Platinum with NCL and some reciprocal benefits might be just the push I need to give Oceania and Regent a shot.

This got my attention...have you heard of any such possibility?

Is there reciprocity between the loyalty programs of Oceania and Regent, that would make one hopeful for future NCL inclusion?

AFAIK, only RCI companies have this reciprocity. Carnival Corp. lines don't.

I too would love to have my NCL Platinum status recognized on Oceania...it might convince me to try them, too......:)

This got my attention...have you heard of any such possibility?

Is there reciprocity between the loyalty programs of Oceania and Regent, that would make one hopeful for future NCL inclusion?

No

They are separate loyalty programs

I consider myself to be a common person and don't really pay much attention to machinations in board rooms and frankly don't care about Del Rio's past accomplishments or failings, all I care about is NCL's future. I am taking a wait and see attitude on this whole thing. Change in any company is inevitable and I am okay with that. But you can offer me all of the "included" things you want, UDP, UBP, or any other program and it won't make me choose your cruise line, I'll still be looking at the price tag. If offering all of those "included" things causes prices to go up then I will more likely than not choose another cruise line. I'm not going to be lured by "free" stuff at a higher price tag because I wouldn't be buying those things anyway.

Interesting, but some of this conflicts with the reports of the sale and/or refinancing of Ren.

Del Rio arranged the sale of 80% of the company to Malvern for 80 million dollars in April 2001. 10% went to Credit First Boston and 10% was retained by management. This was reported in April about a month before Del Rio left the company. Malvern appointed Peter Gram as chairman in this deal.

The rapid expansion of Ren had already occurred at a cost of $1.5 billion for the eight new ships.

The bankruptcy resulted in four of the R class ships being sold in December to Cruiseinvest for $700 million.

This occurred after Del Rio left Ren, but the stage was set a long time prior to the actual failure.

Edited by swedish weave

Have to agree with Jancruz. The past (various versions) has been discussed on this thread. Anyone who thinks that the media defines a person has some rude awakenings ahead of them (IMO). Now we can beat it into the ground or get onto the direction that NCL is going.

I would not be looking for reciprocity between the loyalty programs -- that does not exist between Regent and Oceania and it has been stated (somewhere -- check the "media") that this will not happen with NCL. A couple of years ago there were rumors that an attempt was being made to do that with Regent and Oceania but it was complicated and didn't make sense.

eroller: Agree that Silversea is a great luxury cruise line (equal to Regent). We have sailed on both cruise lines. However, although we have not sailed on Azamara (based on reviews), popular opinion is that Oceania is considerably better than Azamara.

Based on what I have read about this buy-out, the corporation is trying to get customers to start with NCL and then go on to Oceania and Regent -- as they age. NCL looks like a lot of fun -- large ships -- lots of things to do for families -- children are welcome and the cruise fares are affordable. Once the kids are older, NCL passengers may want to try Oceania. It gives them a quiet respite from the daily stress of working. When NCL passengers approach retirement age and wish for longer cruises where all of their needs are taken care of -- everything is inclusive -- few or no children -- smaller ships -- large entry level suites, they may consider Regent. This seems to be the model that Carnival and RCCL uses. They have a choice of main stream, premium and luxury cruise lines.

I am sorry to hear that FDR comes across less than positive when he refers to "his" company or "his" ships. He and his family built Oceania. It was a family company (and still is to the extent it can be). He now looks at Regent and NCL the same way. As part of his family, he is going to do everything in his power to make it the best it can be. I have met FDR on a couple of occasions and have not met a person more dedicated, honest and caring than he is. He is very down to earth. Talking to him is like talking to a friend or relative. He does have strong feelings as to how a company should be run and to people that do not know him, it can come across as arrogant.

I have no issue with him referring to Oceania as "his" ships or company, but he has absolutely no right in my mind to use the same terminology with NCL. The company had been around for nearly 50 years without him, and some of "his" best ships are products of the committees that he got rid of. It's this hypocrisy that I personally find distasteful. Taking credit for the work of others while simultaneously destroying the apparatus used to create that work.

Your description of Del Rio actually matches Veitch quite well. Veitch was great at socializing, but had a tendency to get lost in his own ego and grandiose ideas. Veitch's "strong feelings" nearly destroyed NCL, so I hope it's understandable why I'm wary of a man with similar traits. Mass-market cruise lines are too big and complex to be a one-man-show anymore. The fact that Stuart, Flesch, and Beck are still around gives me hope that continuity from the old regime will remain. Although they rarely get credit, Beck and Flesch played huge roles in turning NCL around.

As far as Del Rio's time with Renaissance is concerned, I'd take anything he or his partners say with a tremendous grain of salt. If he was directly responsible for all of Renaissance's failures, of course he would try to deflect blame. I'm sure the truth probably lies somewhere between the martyr and demon narratives that others have expounded.

My point (besides not believing the media) is that when you are busy looking backwards, you miss what is in front of you. For whatever reason, the powers that be at NCL decided that Frank Del Rio - not Kevin Sheehan -- was the right man to take the company forward. IMO, there must have been a darn good reason for that decision.

Unlike Jancruz, I was not there during the end of Renaissance and the start-up of Oceania, however, the most popular story that I have heard is that they over-extended themselves by purchasing too many ships and then "9/11" happened. Since FDR was CFO - not CEO, we do not know how much influence he had on the decisions made at that time. Once he started Oceania and was truly the decision maker the company was very successful and that success carried on to Regent there is no reason to believe that this will not also be the case with NCL.

Unless things have changed, management onboard the ships as well as in Florida do read Cruise Critic. This may be a good time to point out things that you love about NCL and hope remain the same and what might be done differently or better.

Edited by Travelcat2

It's a simple thing, but important to keep in mind: we paying customers hold the cards in this relationship, and we shouldn't hesitate to play them should NCL change in ways we don't like. Granted, my cards might be a little different than your cards, but we "meat and potatoes" cruisers (thanks, Sparks!) make up a huge chunk of the industry's focus. A cruise line will ignore us and our likes/dislikes at their peril.

My point (besides not believing the media) is that when you are busy looking backwards, you miss what is in front of you. For whatever reason, the powers that be at NCL decided that Frank Del Rio - not Kevin Sheehan -- was the right man to take the company forward. IMO, there must have been a darn good reason for that decision.

You're implying that Sheehan was forced out but there's no evidence to that effect. If he had been forced out I doubt he would have issued a statement saying he was confident that NCL would be in good hands under Del Rio's stewardship. Fired CEOs usually just slink out the back door and don't say anything.

eroller: Agree that Silversea is a great luxury cruise line (equal to Regent). We have sailed on both cruise lines. However, although we have not sailed on Azamara (based on reviews), popular opinion is that Oceania is considerably better than Azamara.

Silversea is wonderful as I'm sure Regent is as well. Regent actually never appealed to me that much as something seemed rather generic about the ships and product. Hard to explain but something seemed missing especially for the price point. I'll have to look them over again. Bland is a word that comes to mind.

As for Azamara they have been some of the best experiences I've had at sea, and I've sailed on over 100 cruises on many, many different cruise lines. Azamara had many start up issues but now they are a brand to be reckoned with. Under the superb leadership of industry veteran Larry Pimentel and the financial backing of Royal Caribbean behind them, I think they have a bright future ahead. Brand awareness continues to be their biggest challenge. I can say I've never encountered a more sincerely genuine, happy, and motivated crew as I have on Azamara. Disney comes close but not quite.

Funny that if anything I've been reading more and more mediocre reviews of Oceania. In the beginning they could do no wrong but I'm reading more and more reviews where people say the experience is not worth the price point paid. I have yet to sail them so I can't speak from experience.

I find the names put on cruise lines, mass market, priemum, luxury lite and luxury sort out of place. NCL has the Haven cabins and the whole ship within a ship concept which Celiberty is trying hard to copy while Cunard has the grill class. I would consider all of these luxury cabins with the best of both worlds, they are on a large ship with lots to do or not do, but you have a choice. If I wanted a luxury experience at this point I would go NCL Haven of Celiberty with the new dinning room and lounge.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app