Interview Article - Del Rio's Shake Up Plans for NCL

Imasima752

The truth is the truth and requires no substantiation. Instead, perhaps you might try proving that this is not true. I am seriously sorry to read how unhappy you are with the fact that there has been a change in management of NCL. It sounds like you are simply want to judge the change without giving it a chance to take hold. Most NCL passengers are very happy with the appointment of the new president. Even though we are not NCL customers, we were happy to learn that someone with many years of NCL experience will be leading NCL. He knows what NCL customers want and will no doubt do his best to meet their expectations.

As stated previously, Regent has been purchased twice since we have been customers (11 years). It is concerning and confusing at times. Some people have become so upset that they left Regent completely. Others, like myself, sat back and waited and are now just as happy as we were when we started with Regent 11 years ago. We are fortunate in one respect and that is because we know what Frank Del Rio can (and has done) for Regent, we are not concerned about the acquisition of Regent by NCL. This is something that NCL customers have yet to see.

I am not unhappy with NCL. What bothers me is the posts from those who degrade the validity of information on CC with statements that are not valid. When I furnish statistics and/or ads to back up my statements, the results are either silence or "pooh-poohing" the facts I have presented.

If you choose to dispute my posts, it would be better to do it with true facts.

I am not unhappy with NCL. What bothers me is the posts from those who degrade the validity of information on CC with statements that are not valid. When I furnish statistics and/or ads to back up my statements, the results are either silence or "pooh-poohing" the facts I have presented.

If you choose to dispute my posts, it would be better to do it with true facts.

Even better, I have learned to ignore them for most part.

Which would be really, really good for business. That's his job.

Good for business, yes, if he can accomplish it. But there are many options in the cruise industry, and if he wants to squeeze extra money out of me, but offer nothing in return, it's not going to work. Why would I pay more and get nothing, when I can pay the same amount to another cruise line and get more?

Interesting article. One observation though is that a lot of Del Rio's ideas are not terribly novel at the moment, and that other lines are trying to do the exact same thing. Let's start with longer cruises... Even Carnival's hopping on that band wagon with their new "Carnival Journeys" announced this week. RCI has long offered a range of longer sailings from a variety of ports.

Trying to move to the "premium" market... Celebrity is already there, and RCI is currently in the process of building and debuting their new Quantum class of ships that are basically Celebrity ships with some RCI bells and whistles. Of course, they're also charging a premium for these new ships.

Pricing: NCL is now the fourth cruise line I'm aware of to announce within the past year that they're looking to stop discounting fares and instead offer value added promotions to fill ships. I'm sure there are more. Celebrity started with 1-2-3 Go. Carnival reportedly held the line on pricing last year at the expense of capacity. RCI's been promotions in the past year, some good some not, and is starting to get into offering packages.

Finally, what cruise line isn't looking to make an extra $50 per cabin per cruise?! If they can get it of course they will take it. Just my $.02... Interesting to see some rather pronounced changes in the way the industry sells cruises.

Edited by Dave85

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the entire Travel and Entertainment industry has made some major changes over the years. Guess we'll find the breaking point when they assign so many cabins to a steward that either the service industry unionizes for survival or the consumers rebel for not getting cabins cleaned and fresh linen.

Some hotels have cut so much, people don't even expect clean towels, let alone fresh sheets and pillowcases.

Airlines still offer some minor snacks for big bucks, charge for baggage and fly planes only that are full - check their bottom line. It works, people still fly, even though being crammed into smaller spaces at higher prices.

Rareley do waiters in restaurants know more than to try to get the order correct & hope people are not aware of place settings, etc. Unless, of course, you're in a good dining place, which are few and far between.

So, will people pay for service they don't get if it's mandatory? We'll see Andy and Frank - It might work. After awhile all the review sites that give info about how bad things are getting will all blend together and it will become the norm.

Not too many generations ago we used to go to a full-service gas station, where an actual mechanic would check water, oil, washer fluid and pump your gasoline for you at the big price of .199 all the way up to .299 per gallon and no charge for checking and topping off fluids, putting air in tires and providing a gift, like a mug with the Texas Star or other handy items.

I envision cruises where all food and beverage has a fee, people are lucky to get any room service and turndowns will be as old fashioned as the midnight chocolate buffet. Wonder if people will wheel their own luggage aboard or pay a fee per bag? Hey dude, want one of these nifty mini pretzel packages for $10 or a dozen peanuts for the same price to go with your $15 beer, all conveniently charged on your card. Cabana chair, is it by the hour or by the day, but a free towel to use is included unless you don't return it & that's $100. You say you want to get your own drink - hope so, but why the service fee of 20%? Well, that's just part of cruising, I mean flying, I mean staying at a hotel, or visiting a restaurant - Wall Drug maybe will put up their signs for free water again when restaurants start to charge for that too.:cool:

So, Frank & Andy - No, this cutting back and charging more is just what drives a deeper wedge between the crew you try to get to work harder, longer hours for a few bucks more and the passengers who are looking for more leisure activities until the next trend takes over for a decent way to wile away our time between retiring and the nursing home. Like you say, Andy, can't make money off the folks until you get them aboard. Then, it's make some money any way that's legal.

Oh yeah guys - have fun on your private planes, yachts and private island homes

If I have to choose between higher cruise price or less free service, I would choose the later. Let the spoiled and the lazy pay for the extra bells and whistles as add on paid service. I don't need my bed made up or towel change twice a day if this is going to cost more in my pocket.

Let the spoiled and the lazy pay for the extra bells and whistles as add on paid service. I don't need my bed made up or towel change twice a day if this is going to cost more in my pocket.

I think it's ridiculous to call anyone who expects basic housekeeping services on vacation "spoiled and lazy." I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're emphasizing the "twice a day" part... I hope.

Edited by Dave85

What jumped out at me was his remarks about wanting to drive revenue and cut spending while specifically mentioning having less people working.

You get the sense he wants to cut everywhere he can.

Im certainly no expert but what I read indicated that the previous CEO made drastic increases in revenue and seemed to have the notion that to increase revenue, you get people on the ship and then give them as many options to spend extra as possible.

What jumped out at me was his remarks about wanting to drive revenue and cut spending while specifically mentioning having less people working.

You get the sense he wants to cut everywhere he can.

Im certainly no expert but what I read indicated that the previous CEO made drastic increases in revenue and seemed to have the notion that to increase revenue, you get people on the ship and then give them as many options to spend extra as possible.

Cutting expenses can work short term, but if the cutting interferes with the ability to provide a certain level of service, the result is empty cabins which produce no revenue at all. It is a slippery slope and can be disastrous if not properly handled.

The truth is the truth and requires no substantiation. Instead, perhaps you might try proving that this is not true. I am seriously sorry to read how unhappy you are with the fact that there has been a change in management of NCL. It sounds like you are simply want to judge the change without giving it a chance to take hold. Most NCL passengers are very happy with the appointment of the new president. Even though we are not NCL customers, we were happy to learn that someone with many years of NCL experience will be leading NCL. He knows what NCL customers want and will no doubt do his best to meet their expectations.

As stated previously, Regent has been purchased twice since we have been customers (11 years). It is concerning and confusing at times. Some people have become so upset that they left Regent completely. Others, like myself, sat back and waited and are now just as happy as we were when we started with Regent 11 years ago. We are fortunate in one respect and that is because we know what Frank Del Rio can (and has done) for Regent, we are not concerned about the acquisition of Regent by NCL. This is something that NCL customers have yet to see.

Sure it does; any 'truth' when made in statements especially regarding a business should be substantiated with facts and not someone's opinion. Any truth is based on proven facts.

In regards to the OP comments about NCL, they appear to be opinion, especially since the person with the opinion has not done business with NCL (as they stated). Not sure how 'most' when talking about NCL passengers, is defined here either.

I can't comment about the conversation the OP apparently had with Mr. Del Rio since the OP indicated that Mr. Del Rio knows what the NCL customer wants; not sure how else someone would know that. ;)

I respect your opinions about Mr. Del Rio but so far nothing that has been stated about Mr. Del Rio and NCL has been substantiated so therefore NCL passengers are entitled to their own opinions. It goes both ways.

Sure it does; any 'truth' when made in statements especially regarding a business should be substantiated with facts and not someone's opinion. Any truth is based on proven facts.

In regards to the OP comments about NCL, they appear to be opinion, especially since the person with the opinion has not done business with NCL (as they stated). Not sure how 'most' when talking about NCL passengers, is defined here either.

I can't comment about the conversation the OP apparently had with Mr. Del Rio since the OP indicated that Mr. Del Rio knows what the NCL customer wants; not sure how else someone would know that. ;)

I respect your opinions about Mr. Del Rio but so far nothing that has been stated about Mr. Del Rio and NCL has been substantiated so therefore NCL passengers are entitled to their own opinions. It goes both ways.

I am at a loss trying to determine how Del Rio got NCL experience. His history does not reflect that he worked for NCL unless I missed something. Maybe the reference was about Stuart who has been with NCL for several years.

The cruise lines Del Rio started from the remains of Renaissance have been sold twice and the last sale to NCL was beneficial to those who financed those lines. It seems that either Genting or Apollo (or both) are calling the shots, now.

Edited by swedish weave

If I have to choose between higher cruise price or less free service, I would choose the later. Let the spoiled and the lazy pay for the extra bells and whistles as add on paid service. I don't need my bed made up or towel change twice a day if this is going to cost more in my pocket.

This is why we will see two or three class ships coming back, in fact they are already here. However do not be put off when you have to waite for a tender, seat to eat or see a show. Have no place to sit by the pool or eat TGIF food.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

This is why we will see two or three class ships coming back, in fact they are already here. However do not be put off when you have to waite for a tender, seat to eat or see a show. Have no place to sit by the pool or eat TGIF food.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Those conditions usually mean the ships are sailing full. That equates to a successful business plan that means profit.

Take Carnival for example -- The largest most successful cruise company in the world and they make no pretenses about being low cost.

Those conditions usually mean the ships are sailing full. That equates to a successful business plan that means profit.

Take Carnival for example -- The largest most successful cruise company in the world and they make no pretenses about being low cost.

I am a big supporter of user pay concept. Price the cruise at the absolute bare minimum no frill price and let the customers decide what extras they want and add the options onto their bills.

I am a big supporter of user pay concept. Price the cruise at the absolute bare minimum no frill price and let the customers decide what extras they want and add the options onto their bills.

I support that concept, also. I have no quarrel with those who want to spend more to satisfy their desires or egos.

I do have an issue with those who want me and others to pay for their extras.

No that's who they announced today .. So whose the top dog del rio or Andy Stuart

Not sure what you're using as a source, but the Andy Stuart announcement was made on March 4th....nearly two weeks ago.

Andy is the President of NCL, he replaces Drew Madsen. Frank Del Rio is the President of NCLH, he replaced Keving Sheehan.

Not sure what you're using as a source, but the Andy Stuart announcement was made on March 4th....nearly two weeks ago.

Andy is the President of NCL, he replaces Drew Madsen. Frank Del Rio is the President of NCLH, he replaced Keving Sheehan.

I missed the memo just seen the link on Facebook where he said he's brand new on the job..

We all have capacity to compare and choose what meets our needs.

Personally, I would love any line of reasonable cost that does something different in terms of ports. Did I really say reasonable?

Significant port changes will not happen with the mega ships that keep coming out.

We can do longer than 7 days but would like something different.

Right now, NCL is stuck in the Eastern/Western ports and been there/done that.

This will be interesting to watch.

We started with NCL due to lower pricing and tired of RCC with decline in food.

This will be a delicate balance. Hope he knows his market.

So, who's planning to do Q&A with A.S. on twitter - already buzzing on F B with comments. After x number of the same 7 days sailing out of NYC, except the 1 and 2 nights CTN, what else can NCL come up with ... is it really that difficult?

CCL/RCI are doing 5 nights, 6 nights, 8 nights and 9 nights out of NY/NJ homeports - which are hooking lots of vacationing tired of paying outrageous airline ticket prices for flying in a narrow tin can with no meals. Time to "show hands" and not to price many out of the "new" NCL itineraries and prices - the Haven experience with price tags to match isn't for everyone ... well, you can always sail at 95% occupancy and still make a profit, right ?? :D

P.S. speaking also as micro-minority shareholders.

Edited by mking8288