Staggered Check in Time....REALLY?!?!?!

Rellyrooly

I'm curious because OP's message seems different than the usual boarding time emails. I wonder if they're testing out more firmly worded emails? Maybe for cruises where early crowds are a particular problem?

I cruised about six weeks ago and received an email that stated: "if you have flexible travel plans, to ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we suggest you arrive at the cruise terminal for check-in between 12:30 PM and 2:30 PM." That certainly didn't mention anything about staggered times or being forced to wait with no where to go. It was barely even a suggestion. Of course, staggered times on that particular cruise would have been silly, since we had short, fast-moving lines at 11:30 a.m.

In Long Beach

Early check in starts at 9:30.

Doors open around 11:30.

Cabins available around 1.

We arrive at 11:30 and have a minimal wait.

Because your cruise leaves on a Thursday the crowds are odd. Early times will be crowded with retirees then later will be crowded with those that put in a half day's eork.

Arriving between 3-4 pm is definitely late. Doesn't even fit with what Carnival says regarding the time they pull out of port. I don't understand that. I thought everyone had to be onboard by 3:30pm. The time doesn't make sense to me.

That said, I agree with the poster who stated you aren't paying for a full day on the first day. And with everyone showing up hours ahead of time, it's just as crowded (if not worse) than the usual recommended time of 1-3pm. I got into that arriving early thing with my past two cruises. No more after ignoring the email I received last year. Wound up waiting in the terminal two hours. Carnival actually DID mean that boarding would be delayed. From now on, I'll get there after 12. Lunch will still be available and the cabin is already ours for the week.

Arriving between 3-4 pm is definitely late. Doesn't even fit with what Carnival says regarding the time they pull out of port. I don't understand that. I thought everyone had to be onboard by 3:30pm. The time doesn't make sense to me.

That said, I agree with the poster who stated you aren't paying for a full day on the first day. And with everyone showing up hours ahead of time, it's just as crowded (if not worse) than the usual recommended time of 1-3pm. I got into that arriving early thing with my past two cruises. No more after ignoring the email I received last year. Wound up waiting in the terminal two hours. Carnival actually DID mean that boarding would be delayed. From now on, I'll get there after 12. Lunch will still be available and the cabin is already ours for the week.

This ship does not leave until 5:30pm, so the 3 to 4pm does fit into the normal window. You do not need to be on board until 5pm.

You are paying for a partial day on embarkation day and a partial day on debarkation day, not the full days.

You disembark with only enough time to barely have breakfast. I hardly think that should count as even half a day. So the excuse that you are paying for partial days is a little silly. I don't count my days by meals. I count my days by whether I have time to participate in activities and relax. You can do those things on day 1 but not on the final day.

I like the way you think ;)...I will ignore the email but worried that they will enforce it. Hope not!!

I love when everyone says "Ignore it" These are the same people that Scream on these boards about people Smoking on the Balconies, Kids in the Adults only area, Chair hogs,. If there was an email that say you could only use the hot tubs between 1pm and 4pm. everyone would say Ignor it.

So the next time you read a post about someone "breaking the rules" think back and remind yourselves that you just told someone that they can break Whatever rules that they want as long as you Agree and then Bitch about people who break rules that you like.

I love when everyone says "Ignore it" These are the same people that Scream on these boards about people Smoking on the Balconies, Kids in the Adults only area, Chair hogs,. If there was an email that say you could only use the hot tubs between 1pm and 4pm. everyone would say Ignor it.

So the next time you read a post about someone "breaking the rules" think back and remind yourselves that you just told someone that they can break Whatever rules that they want as long as you Agree and then Bitch about people who break rules that you like.

Lol so true!

You are paying for a partial day on embarkation day and a partial day on debarkation day, not the full days.

It's not a partial day. Lunch through following day breakfast is one day. Follow that through you will see you are paying for 7 days (not 8, for a 7 day cruise (eg, Sunday to Sunday)

I'm appreciative that Carnival sends out boarding time emails. It actually staggers the amount of humanity that would, otherwise, all be chomping at the bit at 10:30 am just to get a free lunch.

Lunch is not free. You have paid for it.

Interesting point. I've been guilty of ignoring the letter too. Eventually it comes back to bite you! Lesson learned.

This ship does not leave until 5:30pm, so the 3 to 4pm does fit into the normal window. You do not need to be on board until 5pm.

OK. All of my itineraries say 4:00. That's what I was going by. In any event, the day you disembark is actually the 8th day on a 7 day, so you're not paying for the day you leave at all.

OK. All of my itineraries say 4:00. That's what I was going by. In any event, the day you disembark is actually the 8th day on a 7 day, so you're not paying for the day you leave at all.

You are counting wrong. Sunday to Monday is ONE day.

"Like"

Carnival, like hotels count the number of days as they equate to the nights you stay on board...not the number of meals you consume. 3 day cruises are Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights...4 days are usually Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights. Like a hotel the clock doesn't start at noon and end at noon. In fact most hotels don't let you have access on check in days till after 3 and on check out days you better be gone by 11. I don't hear many complaints about the 4 hours that you "paid" for but didn't get to spend in your hotel room.

Once upon a time 1 pm check in on a cruise meant exactly that...we should thank the cruiselines for actually opening their doors a little early. That's a perk not a guarantee. In fact if you look at cruiseline itineraries they give the departure time and the arrival times...that is what you are paying for.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I got an email from Carnival about our cruise that departs on 3/12. It says that we have been assigned a staggered check in time at 3-4 PM. I have never, in my life, boarded a ship that late. I find this irritating since this is only a 3 day cruise and now they are shortening one of those days! How closely do they actually follow that policy? This is for the Imagination 3 day Baja. Anyone have experience with this? It says they can send us away and we will have no where to go...

No you should go to the port at 10am and check in, and stand in line and wait to board with the other 3000 people that chose to ignore the email.

I for one have never received this email and always get to the port early, 9:30am being the earliest. Never been on board later than noon on any of my previous cruises. If I did have to wait, well then that's on me for showing up early. I don't get on early to eat, I get on early because I like to ;)

I read on rcl's fb page that they are also doing the staggered check in, and it was mentioned that the ports are starting to do this. Im looking for the link now. I never heard about it until a few days ago when I read it. I still say, go when you want, just be prepared to wait

I can't post a link, but its on rcl fb page dated March 5 at 8:03pm

Princess has been doing staggered boarding for a while now.

Not too sure how well it's followed bc everyone on the Princess board gives the same advice as here-- arrive when you want.

I respectfully disagree. :)

Embarkation day is day 1 of your cruise. Debarkation does not count as any day. That is day 1 for the next group of cruisers.

I respectfully disagree. :)

Embarkation day is day 1 of your cruise. Debarkation does not count as any day. That is day 1 for the next group of cruisers.

You need to read your contract. Then you could post a fact instead of an opinion.

What you are buying is nights, not days.

The letters seem to be generated for the masses without regard for each individual situation. I took a cruise on 3/1 and had FTTF. My boarding documents clearly stated 11am, but I got an email and phone call that stated 1pm.

It's not a boarding policy that is enforced, it's a recommended arrival time to assist with ease of check-in and lower congestion. If folks like to be in long waiting lines, who are we to tell them differently? Lol *shrug*

Go whenever you want and enjoy your vacation! [emoji1]

Edited by YourCruiseGurl

You need to read your contract. Then you could post a fact instead of an opinion.

What you are buying is nights, not days.

This is true, but what about what the person said that quoted is wrong? You are paying for nights. You don't stay over the day you embark. It's not counted. The day you embark is day one of your cruise. What's incorrect about that?:confused: