Staggered Check in Time....REALLY?!?!?!

Rellyrooly

if you have to check out of the hotel by 11:00 or noon, it just makes sense to go to the port and wait.

Right! Every hotel we stay at checkout time is 11:00. What am I supposed to do BUT go to port? Walk the streets with my luggage? I don't think so.

Right! Every hotel we stay at checkout time is 11:00. What am I supposed to do BUT go to port? Walk the streets with my luggage? I don't think so.

So what would you do if the cruiseline decides to not let anyone into the terminal until 1pm...and they have been known to do this when they have inspections. I've been stuck standing in the hot sun on more than one occasion when the terminal remained closed because of a customs' search of the ship. No water, no food, just hot sun and hot pavement surrounded by tons of luggage because there was no one to drop it off to. This also happens when ships are delayed returning to port. Luckily some terminals have seating for a few hundred...but not always.

Arrive at the port early if you would like...just don't complain about the crowds or the lines or the wait if they happen to happen.

I like to check out of the hotel early, leave my luggage with the bellman in the luggage room and go out to brunch. This way no line to check in and no lido lunch line either and the cabin is ready when we board.

And FWIW my boarding pass for this Sunday on the Dream out of NOLA says embark is between 1:30-3:00p.m.

I just ignore the boarding time listed in the documents. I'm platinum and I know that whatever time they board, I'll be first if I'm there. In my 19 cruises with carnival they have almost always started boarding by at least 11:30am and things move pretty rapidly once they start boarding.

We sailed on the Magic in January and received an email that they were doing maintenance and not to arrive until after 1pm, which we did and it was a JOKE. Apparently the majority of the people listened to this email and it was chaos getting on. We got there at 1 and we were barely on the ship 10 minutes before they announced the muster drill. I swear there must have still been a thousand people in line behind me so I was surprised they were calling for muster already. I've decided that I will ignore all future emails that are similar.

We sailed on the Magic in January and received an email that they were doing maintenance and not to arrive until after 1pm, which we did and it was a JOKE. Apparently the majority of the people listened to this email and it was chaos getting on. We got there at 1 and we were barely on the ship 10 minutes before they announced the muster drill. I swear there must have still been a thousand people in line behind me so I was surprised they were calling for muster already. I've decided that I will ignore all future emails that are similar.

This happened on our Liberty cruise in Miami. (2013) I had to be out of our hotel by 11 and we had FTTF. So, I knew we would be in the first few groups to board anyways. So, my husband and I figured what the heck lets just go. I didn't get the email until the day before the cruise and at that point we had already planned on getting there around 11. So, we got there around 10:45. They were passing out zone #4 already. Many people already there, but when we started boarding around 11:45 it was a nut house in there. PACKED, nowhere to sit. I talked to some people who got on the ship much later than we did and they said they got there around 1 like they were told to and they said the check in line was out the door. They just couldn't handle the amount of people.

So what would you do if the cruiseline decides to not let anyone into the terminal until 1pm...and they have been known to do this when they have inspections. I've been stuck standing in the hot sun on more than one occasion when the terminal remained closed because of a customs' search of the ship. No water, no food, just hot sun and hot pavement surrounded by tons of luggage because there was no one to drop it off to. This also happens when ships are delayed returning to port. Luckily some terminals have seating for a few hundred...but not always.

Arrive at the port early if you would like...just don't complain about the crowds or the lines or the wait if they happen to happen.

Nice name, btw. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo......never said I would complain if something out of the ordinary happened, beyond my or the port or carnivals control. sheesh.

You are definitely already pretty miffed based on your post. I just don't think Carnival or any cruiseline should have to cater to those who spend the night in a hotel. My point is that Carnival has every right to NOT open its doors. If they do board early that is a nice perk but not a guarantee. One of these days all the peeps who cry wolf whenever Carnival notifies passengers of delayed boarding may eventually come face to face with the realization that early boarding doesn't always happen.

Seriously though if Carnival sells me FTTF which they have on my next two cruises then I'm going to be there earlier. I think this is honestly to ease congestion for them but you are certainly not going to charge me for FTTF and have me board at 2 pm. uh uh no way :rolleyes:

Seriously though if Carnival sells me FTTF which they have on my next two cruises then I'm going to be there earlier. I think this is honestly to ease congestion for them but you are certainly not going to charge me for FTTF and have me board at 2 pm. uh uh no way :rolleyes:

This is what Carnival says about FTTF

"Please note, there is no specific "set" time, nor a specific arrival time required... once clearance is received from Customs to start boarding, Faster to the Fun guests will board after our VIFP Club Platinum & Diamond Guests."

I'm appreciative that Carnival sends out boarding time emails. It actually staggers the amount of humanity that would, otherwise, all be chomping at the bit at 10:30 am just to get a free lunch. Always get to the pier about noon after the debarkation progress for the ship is over and parking lots have cleared, luggage handlers aren't doing double duty, and the drive up lanes aren't packed with peeps waiting for their rides. It's nice to get onboard after the rooms have opened up so we don't have to carry stuff around or find a place to sit. By 1:30 the crush of humanity has left the buffet and their is still ample to eat. Have boarded early once and won't ever do it again.

It appears from your post that you drive to the port. Not everyone has this luxury so for those that fly in that morning or are at the mercy of their hotel-shuttle bus, I can see where this may become a concern...... especially the elderly, handicapped or those that have small children. Trying to find several hours to-kill with luggage in tow would not be a fun thing.

As far as chomping-at-the-bit for the free lunch....... it is not free, it is covered in the cruise fare. This OP is on a 3 day cruise. For me, and others I'm sure, part of the fun is getting to the ship to enjoy a nice lunch, explore the ship and partake in the pre-sail-away festivities.

"Please note, there is no specific "set" time, nor a specific arrival time required... once clearance is received from Customs to start boarding, Faster to the Fun guests will board after our VIFP Club Platinum & Diamond Guests."

Some people have FTTF twisted thinking you are entitled to board at a certain time. Not the case.

Now this is where Disney has everybody else beat. You get to choose your port arrival time online 70 days prior to the cruise and it is based on availability. I was online on midnight the day that our ability to check in was open and got a 10:30 port arrival time. Others get later times. By staggering the times, check in was super quick and easy. They also had registration for the kid club at the port so you didn't have to wait to check in on the ship.

Better than trying to get there early and stuck waiting in long lines.

I think you missed the point. Those of us that purchase FTTF know that there is no "set" time to board. However, if they are only sending out the e-mail to stagger times and not for an inspection or something like that then yes I will show up as early as I want to. That is part of the reason we purchase FTTF.

As others have mentioned, it seems that these e-mails are being sent out without any regard to status or FTTF. To tell a Diamond or Platinum cruiser or someone with FTTF to arrive between 2-3 just to stagger boarding is crazy and most will ignore it.

• 11 months later...

There are lots of posts saying it IS being enforced in Galveston and you will not be let in. I'd have a backup plan for something to do for a few hours just in case. We chose a checkin window online, and the earliest time was 12:30. Apparently this was piloted it Galveston and they are serious, now implementing in other ports.

Now this is where Disney has everybody else beat. You get to choose your port arrival time online 70 days prior to the cruise and it is based on availability. I was online on midnight the day that our ability to check in was open and got a 10:30 port arrival time. Others get later times. By staggering the times, check in was super quick and easy. They also had registration for the kid club at the port so you didn't have to wait to check in on the ship.

Better than trying to get there early and stuck waiting in long lines.

Sounds to me like Carnival's method is slightly better in that anyone has access to pick their time once they book so long as your ship and port is using the system. You don't have to wait in line to pick a time to board.

And you can register your kids for camp online as soon as you book.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

There are lots of posts saying it IS being enforced in Galveston and you will not be let in. I'd have a backup plan for something to do for a few hours just in case. We chose a checkin window online, and the earliest time was 12:30. Apparently this was piloted it Galveston and they are serious, now implementing in other ports.

You are replying to a thread that's a year old. ;)

You are replying to a thread that's a year old. ;)

I saw that too and hope it doesn't confuse people. The staggered check in times are being strictly enforced in Galveston. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

Diamond/Platinum/FTTF/Suites and Carnival transfers all have to pick a check in time but are allowed to check in at any time that you wish.

As a Diamond, I pick a late time but I still get to the pier around 10am.

This thread is a year old.

When I did my online check in there was a choice to make for boarding time. It has been posted on other sites that Carnival was doing this in the Texas port and that people that were not FTTF/Diamond or platinum were being turned away until the boarding time they were assigned. I don't agree with the policy but you may be gambling going to the port before that time but I suppose it is worth a try. This cruise I have booked in April is my first cruise with assigned boarding time.:(