Carnival Breeze or Carnival Sunshine?

So my family is planning (I'm trying to convince them) to go on a Christmas cruise this year. Some of the rules we had were that it had to be 5+ days, we could not be on the boat on Christmas, and it had to be on a Spirit Class+ ship (we have only been on Fantasy-classes and want to upgrade). So in the short amount of time that I had to search for cruises, I narrowed it down to two cruise possibilities.

#1 Carnival Sunshine

-7 Day Eastern Caribbean

-$967 for ocean view

-Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

-Dec 27th-Jan 3rd

Pros: Really Interesting Itinerary, Fits Schedule, Amazing Ship, Port Canaveral

Cons: Expensive, Would have to fly (returns on 3rd)

#2 Carnival Breeze

-6 Day Western Caribbean

-$933 for Ocean View

-Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

-Dec 27th-Jan 2nd

Pros: New Ports, Amazing Ship, Fits Schedule, Ends on 2nd (Cushion Day)

Cons: Need to Fly (20+ Hour drive to Miami), 6 days

What do you think we should do? The itinerary for the Sunshine is amazing, but the Carnival Breeze is moving to Galveston and this would be the only time to go on it. Thanks for helping us out!

~ TheCriuseDirector

This is difficult if I were to choose my ship it be the Breeze but then she is one day less....Are you using a cab, shuttle or renting a car to get from airport to ship? Are you spending the night before, highly recommend because after this past winter the north could have snow at that time of the year also and delays at airport.

Orlando to Port Canaveral is an hour away...you stay at Cocoa Beach where you find very reasonable rates in motels that are extremely close to the port.

Miami to Port of Miami only 20 minutes away, but hotels will cost more but this is the choice if your not renting a cab as a cab be more costly if you choose the Sunshine.

Airfare generally is cheaper on Christmas day, and as far as the ship both will be full for that week. You could spend a couple of nights in Cocoa Beach and do things.

I read many people talking about the Sunshine felt crowded....the Breeze is the newest ship so far.....if I were in your shoes I choose the Breeze over the Sunshine in a heartbeat.

I just made this same decision. I chose the Breeze 6 day over the Sunshine 7 day. Picked Breeze because it is a new ship with great reviews. I've been on her sister ship Dream and loved it.

I wanted to give Sunshine a shot but read a lot of negative things, especially about it seeming very crowded. Just didn't want to chance it.

I cruise for the ports and not the ship. The ports on the Sunshine are better. However, I also like the ports on the Breeze. Sunshine is a great ship and I don't understand most of the complaints. I haven't sailed the Breeze but I will when it gets to Galveston. My choice would be Sunshine.

I cruise for the ship if you think of the statistics of the time your actually in port and on ship you have to think of the ship your there most of your time.

I loved the Dream, haven't been on the Breeze yet, but the Dream is our favorite ship in Carnival.

Edited by lyndamr

We were also comparing Breeze to Sunshine and we picked Breeze.

For starters, it's leaving Florida, so this is our only shot, and it is highly regarded as the favorite. (although I think Sunshine will be leaving too, so if that matters to you).

In most food/entertainment things they are neck and neck. Sunshine has JiJis asian kitchen, and as far as I know thats the only thing the Breeze doesn't have. However, I have heard a few things about the Sunshine that made me pick the breeze.

1. For your time dining (what we do) you have to check in on one level, then go to a different level to the dining room. Not huge, but I hear there is a long wait almost every night, even just to check in, and with kids, we don't want to haul them all over the ship just to get dinner.

2. I hear there is a LOT of rust. Again not a huge deal, just not as pretty and nice.

3. Many reviews say it is very hot in some places. Hubby likes things cold and he would have a real issue with it being hot indoors.

4. Lots of reviews that it is very very very crowded, and again with kids, this is not something we want.

5. The kids area is quite small (from what I read).

6. Good luck getting seats in the comedy club on either ship, but the Breeze appears easier, and better laid out.

As far as the ports, I personally love Grand Cayman and would be happy to go to Cozumel again. We haven't been to any of the others but will be visiting San Juan and St. Thomas soon. St Thomas looks like a port I would skip (many things are too far from the boat and expensive to get to) after a couple times. San Juan is easy to walk off the boat and see interesting things, but again after a few times, not one I would be eager to repeat I feel like.

If I were you I would pick the Breeze. I would want to do the 8 day, not the 6 ;) But I would still pick the Breeze.

I would pick the Sunshine as it is an extra day of cruising with an extra port day. We sailed the Sunshine in January and actually enjoyed this ship. It can feel a little crowded at times, but so did the Dream when we sailed her. Both the Breeze and the Sunshine offer similar amenities and food options.

If the dates, price, and itinerary are good, I would never exclude the Sunshine. I gave a very detailed picture review of our Sunshine cruise and summarized my tips at the end.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169332

OP, I thought maybe I posted a thread in my sleep and this was it...I too am researching cruises for next winter (not near the holidays, more January/February) and would LOVE to cruise on the Breeze, then read some great reviews about Sunshine and thought maybe that's a better cruise because PC is better for us. But I'm going back and forth, so I am going to be following this thread closely! Just one question: does anyone know WHEN Breeze is leaving FL? Was kind of hoping she would come up to our homeport of NY, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath...:(:(

Breeze hands down...even with one less day. An amazing ship and the outside seating on the Promenade deck is an added plus... I've cruised on all the Carnival different class ships and there is no comparison from a ship standpoint

I have sailed both, and they are both great ships with a lot of similarities. You can't go wrong with either one, and for me I cruise based on ports so I would choose the Sunshine. The cruise is a day longer as well which is a plus!

Love both ships but would go with the Sunshine. Please do not go by the negative reviews on this one. If I went with the reviews I would have missed a wonderful vacation on the Sunshine. The over crowded thing is way over rated. We were at capacity and it was not any more crowded than any other Carnival ship I've been on. You can't go wrong with either choice but the Sunshine is the better cruise on this one.

I checked on a website (Cruise TT) that calculates the number of cruise travelers expected in a port on a particular day. I ALWAYS check this website before I book and it says to expect almost 17,000 in Grand Cayman with you and more than 15,000 in Cozumel if you decide on the Breeze. That is a lot of people. I would choose the Sunshine. Less people in those ports.