How tight is 6 people (4adults and 2kids) will it be in a Dawn SJ?

Jrw118

I have a SJ suite booked for my family of 4 and I am considering adding my inlaws to make it 6 people. It would be 4 adults a d 2 kids 10 & 7. How tight will it be? Also with the promotion, would the 5&6 be entitled to the UPD And UPB?

More than four guests? Most staterooms do not accommodate more than 4, so there may be very few stateroom options available. An alternative is to divide your party into two staterooms. When booking online, each stateroom will need to be booked separately.

Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony

Our only aft-facing suite. Those on Decks 8 and 9 feature wraparound balconies. Not Available

Edited by Orleanscruiser

nclcruise045_zps4967fb0f.jpg

The murphy deployed for the night

nclcruise166_zps1c741601.jpg

The murphy bed with a 4 year old in occupation

IMG_7575_zps35018a4b.jpg

The sofa bed is similar sized when deployed (we did not do so as our 7 year old liked it like this)

nclcruise047_zpsabfa5a63.jpg

And the final and big bed

IMG_7574_zps32c64432.jpg

Its a cruise ship, its not like you all need to be in the cabin 24/7 together. As far as showering, you just plan accordingly. We know what time dinner reservations are so my husband and I will go to the room to shower and change and then go to Gatsbys or another bar for a pre-dinner beverage and wait for the rest of the family for dinner. That way not everyone is in the cabin trying to get ready at the same time. I think it would all just be a matter of planning. Its a ship so if you get a little claustrophobic in the cabin you can always go elsewhere for a little while. The only thing that everyone will really be in the cabin together for is to sleep and as long as everyone has a place to put their head down there shouldn't be an issue. We booked an SJ cabin on the Dawn so everyone has the UDP and our two DS have the UBP and we all can experience the suite life. If we book separate cabins (unless they are suites) we all will not be able to take advantage of the current promos that NCL is running. Just an opinion, every family is different and needs to make the best choice that is right for them.

Bottom line: it's your vacation, and only you know if this configuration will be comfortable for you. For me? I am on my only real vacation of the year; I would not be very relaxed in a room that size with 6 people and one bathroom. I would be completely stressed out and fretting about the mess of 6 people in one room (I am a little OCD :)) .

I know we are probably crazy to do this, but this promotion is probably the only way we could ever afford to take both our DD, DSIL and DS. For 1 week we'll get along in tight quarters. We have the UDP, UBP, OBC and PPG. The other 3 have the UDP and a Soda Card. (They're adults, they can buy their own drinks.) As far as bathing and dressing, we're the early birds along with DS. DD and DSIL are later risers and eaters, so we shouldn't clash too much with the bathroom. It's along way off, but I'm excited everyone will be able to come along!

You're getting lots of "no way" type answers so I thought I'd throw in my perspective. We have sailed in these suites (Star and Dawn) 5 times and we sail with 6 people total.

My dad is 6'6" my mom is plus sized. My DH is 6'4" and I am 5"8', also plus sized. My DS13 is 6'1" and my DD11 is 5'3". We love being together. We love all the space in this open feeling suite and now choose it regularly over 2 balconies.

The big bed is a king, the Murphy and the pull-out are queen sized. We used to sleep the kids on the pull-out but now that they're older we have a roll-away brought in and they rotate.

There is no floor space when all the beds are set up, just walkways between them. Once the beds are put away in the morning all napping takes place on the King sized bed or sofa without it being pulled out.

The bathroom can take some organization. My Dad and DH tend to shower in the spa anyway so that helps. There is a public bathroom one floor up at the forward elevators that comes in handy in a pinch or when my Dad knows he's going to do something that will cause harm to the olfactory senses of everyone else in the cabin. :o

The closet area is big enough to change in. There is plenty of storage. It works really well for us but we are a very close family and my parents are also our best friends.

It is fun to stay in one cabin and when we are all in separate cabins I miss it.

I am going to share my opinion... My husband and I have cruised together 1 time prior to our upcoming family cruise on 1/3/2016. That first cruise was in an inside cabin. Our upcoming family cruise is in a SJ Family Suite on the Star. And the children in the family are grown.. 30. 22, 20 ,20. UBP for mom and dad...good thing... I know it is going to be tight but you know what...we are going to be making such wonderful memories.. who cares if we are smushed in a SUITE... it will be such an awesome experience for all of us..

Obviously, you have to do what you have to do. I could not imagine it, with my inlaws or my parents

As it is, I have 3 kids (husband does not enjoy cruising) and I get 2 cabins for the 4 of us.

I know people say, you are never in the cabin, but I find the time that we are, either relaxing before bed, figuring out what to do next, napping (which we did after each excursion) we all liked having the extra space, tvs, and bathrooms at our disposal. Even if it was just reading in bed or using the ipad, etc. I would be way too anxious with that many people. My kids love each other and get along well, but even they need some down time and space from each other.

The downside, is of course, that we don't get the advantage of the promotion of ksf. I am almost embarrassed to tell you that I am looking to cruise this April with 2 of my 3 (oldest will be on school DC trip) and am still looking at 2 cabins on the Jewel or CCL Magic

• 2 weeks later...

We are a family of 5 and we just booked an SJ too. For us it was not worth the extra 1800 to do a 2 bedroom. That 1800 will hopefully pay our airfare to New Orleans. Our kids will be 16 14 and 14. My 2 sisters are also in SJs. One only has 3 in her room so I guess if things get tight I can toss one of my kids in there. We usually do 2 cabins but the promotions were too good to pass up. Free gratuities,UDP, UBP,on board credit plus a $250 obc from my ta.

Just got off the Star this past Sunday with 6 in a family suite.

4 LARGE adults, and 2 kids ages 10 and 12.

No issues whatsoever. It was an affordable way for us to travel the suite life and bring extra guests.

The largest bed fit 2 or the largest adults, and the 13-year old - it's a big bed, king size, I think.

The bed that folded out from the couch fit another large adult with the 10-year old.

And then the bed that pulls down from the wall was for grandma.

We coordinated bath/shower time - 3 in the evening and 3 in the morning. Because there is both a shower and a tub, if you have small kids, one can be in the tub while the other is in the shower - or depending on your comfort level you can have a parent in one and the child in the other.

We were mostly all in the suite together early morning and late at night. Some afternoons.

But I would completely recommend this, and still found it roomy compared to any other room we have had with just 4 people.

No issues whatsoever. It was an affordable way for us to travel the suite life and bring extra guests.

The largest bed fit 2 or the largest adults, and the 13-year old - it's a big bed, king size, I think.

The bed that folded out from the couch fit another large adult with the 10-year old.

We coordinated bath/shower time - 3 in the evening and 3 in the morning. Because there is both a shower and a tub, if you have small kids, one can be in the tub while the other is in the shower - or depending on your comfort level you can have a parent in one and the child in the other.

We were mostly all in the suite together early morning and late at night. Some afternoons.

But I would completely recommend this, and still found it roomy compared to any other room we have had with just 4 people.

I'm glad it worked out for you. don't wish to be a debby downer but this sounds like a terrible sleeping arrangement.

Good for you pulling it off, but as they say, better you than me! :D

I had a panic attack just reading this! I'm glad it worked f you, but it doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me!

• 3 weeks later...

How well did the Cabin Steward and Butler attend to the mass pandemonium ?

Seems like the CS would be perpetually cleaning the cabin and the B at his

wits end trying to keep everyone pleased !

DH and I stay in SF or Haven and at times I think they are too crowded just for the two of us LOL. More power to you but I cannot imagine 6 people in an SJ...I would probably be yelling "let me out"!

I wish I could say we always cruise in a Suite, but that is not our fortune. Having 2 years to save and the fantastic offer Norwegian has for suites, we are able to do it - this once. I think this is all about your comfort level. We are thrilled to have our grown children experience The Suite Life with us and are overjoyed at the opportunity. Other cruisers are used to suites and all the perks they provide on a regular basis and wouldn't sail any other way. So happy there's room for all of us to enjoy a wonderful Norwegian cruise!

Thank you for the information on the size of the sofa and the murphy. We have 5 adults and were hoping one of the other beds would fit the couple. Sounds like the sofa is a tad larger than the murphy and will do the trick.

We are looking at the Dawn for a special event but asked TA to check out the 2 BR suite. We did this in 2013 with our Aunt and Grandson for their birthdays. This time we want to take our boys. Son & Wife with grandson in BR 2 we get the master and our younger son (23) will get the sofa bed. Our only concern is the master bathroom is part of the bedroom. We would have to keep the heavy curtains to the bed area closed at night. Not the best option but it can work. Plus with the suite friends & family sail free (not really they don't tell you they pay port, tax & tips). Looking good for us 6K for 6 folk's on a nice ship without any airfare required.

I would seriously look at the 2 bedroom cabins.

Have a great time either way. No such thing as a bad cruise :).

We slept as a couple in the Murphy bed with no problem. It is more comfortable than the sofa sleeper, and right next to the windows we could stargaze from bed.

In the Dawn SJ, there is a retractable wall that goes between the main bed and the sofa sleeper and a curtain that goes across the foot of that bed, making a little bedroom in a bedroom for privacy. We gave that bed to my mother. She had enough room in her area to get dressed and undressed.

Our steward asked if he could leave either the sofa or the murphy bed out during the day, but we wanted to have the room made up. We did have the furniture moved so that he did not have to move the other furniture in the room each night.

The two tables and the coffee table that were facing the sofa were moved to the foot of the main bed. This worked well for watching TV as they were now facing the TV. The bench (with storage) that was at the foot of the bed was moved to the wall perpendicular to the chairs. The table and chairs that had been in front of the Murphy Bed was now moved over to be closer to the TV.

There was PLENTY of room in the room for all seven of us (the three sleeping in the interior cabin and the four sleeping in the suite) to sit, chat, visit and enjoy the suite. Storage space was also ample, and there is plenty of rooms to stuff your suitcases under the large bed to get them out of the way.

We were right by the stairs, so if we ever needed an extra bathroom, there were some right up the stairs on Deck 13 that were never busy.

I think you could make it work....

Have fun!

We slept as a couple in the Murphy bed with no problem. It is more comfortable than the sofa sleeper, and right next to the windows we could stargaze from bed.

In the Dawn SJ, there is a retractable wall that goes between the main bed and the sofa sleeper and a curtain that goes across the foot of that bed, making a little bedroom in a bedroom for privacy. We gave that bed to my mother. She had enough room in her area to get dressed and undressed.

Our steward asked if he could leave either the sofa or the murphy bed out during the day, but we wanted to have the room made up. We did have the furniture moved so that he did not have to move the other furniture in the room each night.

The two tables and the coffee table that were facing the sofa were moved to the foot of the main bed. This worked well for watching TV as they were now facing the TV. The bench (with storage) that was at the foot of the bed was moved to the wall perpendicular to the chairs. The table and chairs that had been in front of the Murphy Bed was now moved over to be closer to the TV.

There was PLENTY of room in the room for all seven of us (the three sleeping in the interior cabin and the four sleeping in the suite) to sit, chat, visit and enjoy the suite. Storage space was also ample, and there is plenty of rooms to stuff your suitcases under the large bed to get them out of the way.

We were right by the stairs, so if we ever needed an extra bathroom, there were some right up the stairs on Deck 13 that were never busy.

I think you could make it work....

Have fun!

Thank you Holly, plenty of great information!