Some MDR questions

Despegue

In the Vista Dining Room,

Can I order a smaller plate of the Pasta dish ( featured as a main) as appetizer?

Will the MDR be open for Lunch on Port days? I hear conflicting things about this and we dislike buffets...

Many thanks,

D.

Yes, you can order smaller dishes as an appetizer, especially the pasta. You can also go the other way and order appetizers as an entrée and add a veggie.

It is not often that the MDR is open for lunch while in port but it does happen - depends on the port. Other options for lunch may be the Pinnacle Grill and there is always room service.

You can pretty much order anything the way you want it. HAL aims to please (really!!) and they do.

MDR on port days is a hot or miss thing.

Seems to have been a change recently to closed on port days, but it would depend on the cruise and the ship.

Always check your program in the evening for the next day's dining. The Pinnacle is a good option for $10.00 per person at lunch.

Edited by SilvertoGold

On days with late (i.e., after 12noon) port arrivals, the MDR will probably be open for lunch. It was on my recent Westerdam cruise for a Noon arrival in San Juan.

The Pinnacle Grill was open for lunch every day (at $10 extra cost; 3+ Star Mariners get discounts) except for HMC day.

Sometimes, the soups, appetizers, pastas, and salads offered are so tempting that I have often thought about making a dinner out of a few selections from those categories.

I would agree that ordering the pasta as an appetizer might lead to a larger serving than one might want. But, I do think HAL is trying to provide smaller portions when you inform your steward that is what you would like.

On our most recent HAL cruises (several long cruises last year) the MDR was closed every single port day (except the embarkation days when they had a Mariners lunch). We have heard (from friends) of a few exceptions which usually happen only in cases when the ship is reaching a port in the afternoon or departing early afternoon.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Sometimes, the soups, appetizers, pastas, and salads offered are so tempting that I have often thought about making a dinner out of a few selections from those categories.

I would agree that ordering the pasta as an appetizer might lead to a larger serving than one might want. But, I do think HAL is trying to provide smaller portions when you inform your steward that is what you would like.

I sometimes do make a dinner out of soup, salad, appetizers :D There's never been a problem.

I have had problems getting "smaller portions" of the entree in the past, but that seems to be improving.

On our most recent HAL cruises (several long cruises last year) the MDR was closed every single port day (except the embarkation days when they had a Mariners lunch). We have heard (from friends) of a few exceptions which usually happen only in cases when the ship is reaching a port in the afternoon or departing early afternoon.

Hank

Last week on the Eurodam ...all of our arrivals were in the morning

On port days Breakfast and Dinner were the only meals in the MDR.

This seems to be the direction they are going. I've noticed this too and it's not a welcome change in my mind. A good cruise for me is one that I never set foot in the lido but that seems impossible now.

If you choose not to try the Lido, please do order from Room Service if the MDR is closed. The service is friendly, prompt, and the food ordered never disappoints. Well--OK. Yes, there has been one: the Cheese Plate leaves much to be desired.

Always check your program in the evening for the next day's dining. The Pinnacle is a good option for $10.00 per person at lunch.

It's been years since we've cruised and this will be a first on HAL. I assume the lido is open for all meals if the MDR is closed correct? If not they will show times for the Lido in the program we get each evening for the next day right? It's open when in port too right?

It's been years since we've cruised and this will be a first on HAL. I assume the lido is open for all meals if the MDR is closed correct? If not they will show times for the Lido in the program we get each evening for the next day right? It's open when in port too right?

Yes, Lido is open even in port.

Here is a link to all of the Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (free 24/7) menus that I have scanned since Dec 2014:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Since it is your first time on the Westerdam, here is a poto tour that I put together from my cruises on the Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-westerdam-tour/

Although there will be changes, here are copies of our On Location (daily activities) that we had in Alaska last year:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2014-westerdam-on-location-daily-activities/

Edited by Crew News

Yes, Lido is open even in port.

Here is a link to all of the Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (free 24/7) menus that I have scanned since Dec 2014:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Since it is your first time on the Westerdam, here is a poto tour that I put together from my cruises on the Westerdam:

/[/url]

Thank you. Very helpful!

Another choice for lunch for us on the Eurodam was the Dive-In at the main Lido pool. The food was delicious - crispy fries, Nathan's hot dogs, freshly cooked burgers and even a "burger" with portabello mushroom instead of beef. The toppings and special sauce were yummy - or you can order it with your choice.

The food is served up on metal trays. Folks ate at the tables near the pool or took their trays to the Lido or Sea View pool deck.

I'm not sure if all of the ships have a Dive-In but if so I'd eat from there in a heart-beat :)

I know that people love the dive in but I don't find it to be anything special. Give me the MDR any day. I see on the live from the maasdam thread that they are in port today and the MDR is open. I wonder if closing the MDR happens more on the larger ships.

This seems to be the direction they are going. I've noticed this too and it's not a welcome change in my mind. A good cruise for me is one that I never set foot in the lido but that seems impossible now.

My name is Alcarondas, and I approve this message.

I know that people love the dive in but I don't find it to be anything special. Give me the MDR any day. I see on the live from the maasdam thread that they are in port today and the MDR is open. I wonder if closing the MDR happens more on the larger ships.

We too eat lunch in the MDR when it's open. I noted the Dive-In as an option for when MDR is not open - but probably should have quoted the comment that elicited that response from me. Our 7 day cruise with 4 ports (MDR was closed), embarkation lunch in the MDR (special menu), and the Mariner's Brunch (special menu) in the MDR left only one other possible day for the MDR lunch.

At least with the Dive-In you get a buzzer like at a restaurant to alert you when your food is ready and you're not standing in line as in the Lido Buffet. :)

Maybe the MDR is closed on port days on the shorter cruises only. As noted, Alaska last year it was closed on each port day, not what we are used to.

I found the Dive In OK, but we hated the pager, the line-up, the whole miasma: too many pax, too little space.

The fries are also in the Lido and they are worth it!

Meet you in the MDR 3 meals a day!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Maybe the MDR is closed on port days on the shorter cruises only.
On our 7-day on the NA in Dec the MDR was open for lunch while in Grand Turk (8:00a to 2:30p) but closed on the sea day between St Thomas and HMC ... and of course while at HMC. It was also open on San Juan day, but that was a 1:00p arrival. Edited by jtl513