Should dress codes disappear?

Made it to 100 posts pretty quick. Seems like a blowout to me - 80% vote NO. Put on your pants when you come to dinner.

Most nice Country Clubs I have been to request long pants even to play golf. The Men's PGA requires long pant for all events. Lots of old time tradition with golf.

I agree with these two. We are in our late 40's and we say keep it has it is. We enjoy dressing up, a long with the rest of the crowd. It make the nights feel special.

So enjoy your dressing up and feel special. For me, going on vacation is special and a break from work. I'd rather NOT dress up.

No to abolishing all dress codes but yes to modification and I'm mid 50s. I do think a relaxation of the code that allows khaki shorts and polos would be ok. I have absolutely no issues with someone wearing something like that to dinner. I sure understand the appeal.

The thing about dress codes is that you can comply fully with the dress code and look completely ridiculous. I remember when we instituted a dress code at work and men had to wear ties. There were a group of guys who decided to wear these big wide paisley ties from the 70s. Totally complied with the code as written but looked ridiculous.

Even on the cruise I just came off a couple weeks ago... We had a few college aged (early to mid 20s) folks and they seemed to mostly follow the dress code. Now that being said, there were some young women in dresses that were so short and tight that they really couldn't walk or sit down. It was pretty funny seeing them trying to pull their dresses down as they walked and tried to sit. They were within dress code but probably not totally "appropriate" for family viewing. ;)

My other issue is that I really don't consider the MDR as fine dining. The service staff is very nice and I enjoy talking with them. That said, the atmosphere is crowded, loud, many people walking all over the place, dishes being cleared away. If you're sitting anywhere near one of the service stations it's definitely not a relaxed atmosphere. The food is usually pretty good for things cooked in that sort of quantity but it's not fine dining.

That veered off course a bit.... :eek:

Made it to 100 posts pretty quick. Seems like a blowout to me - 80% vote NO. Put on your pants when you come to dinner.

Most nice Country Clubs I have been to request long pants even to play golf. The Men's PGA requires long pant for all events. Lots of old time tradition with golf.

I voted no for completely eliminating dress codes and yes for shorts. That used to be called compromise here.

If the cruise lines went to more casual dining experiences, with simple restrictions like most businesses' "such as "must wear a minimum of a top, bottom and footwear" then it might simplify things. This is what's required by most restaurants nowadays. Ships could have one or two "nice" restaurants with a surcharge for those who want to pay the premium and dress up.

They'd also save a heck of a lot in service manpower, uniforms, linens, dish washing, etc. (Of course, it's doubtful the savings would be passed on to customers! :-))

That's my opinion. What's yours??

Of course if you make it that broad, someone is bound to shop up in a bra (or some sort of tank top), panties/underwear and flip flops. I mean, all of their bits are covered- top bottom and feet. And you KNOW there would someone who would try it- just to test the limits.

Abolished? No. 40's/50's.

I can see how some modification would be in order. Nice shorts (khaki type) and a polo shirt /golf shirt seems perfectly reasonable. It is all so subjective though. I understand what others have said about complying with the dress code but looking ridiculous. There will always be someone who has to "prove a point."

What defines "nice shorts" or "a nice shirt?" Is it a shirt with no writing on it (plain tee)? Is it a shirt with a collar? What sort of collar? Mock turtleneck? Button down collar?

I have a friend who enjoys wearing shorts a lot. She seldom wears anything else. She hates wearing long pants, and is not about to put on a dress. She spends a LOT of money on her clothes. To say her clothes are not "nice" would be completely false. She always looks very nice when she dresses, but her choice of clothing would not be "dress code" compliant.

The more you make "no rules" the rule- the worse people will dress. I mean, there is something to be said for putting forth a little effort to make yourself and those around you feel a little bit special, like you cared more than stepping out in your tank and pajama pants. I feel a little better and a little more special when I put on something a little dressier. That's my choice though.

I guess the problem with abolishing the dress code, is that it would become a complete free for all. But with the current dress code, there is always going to be someone pushing the limits.

If you are dressing in a certain way because that is how you want to dress, to each his own I suppose. However, certain modes of dress are more appropriate in certain venues. If you are dressing solely to get a rise out of someone and test the limits being "in code" but looking stupid, GROW UP! Put your frat boy/prom queen ways behind you and live as an adult.

Even on the cruise I just came off a couple weeks ago... We had a few college aged (early to mid 20s) folks and they seemed to mostly follow the dress code. Now that being said, there were some young women in dresses that were so short and tight that they really couldn't walk or sit down. It was pretty funny seeing them trying to pull their dresses down as they walked and tried to sit. They were within dress code but probably not totally "appropriate" for family viewing. ;)

Interesting observation . Even with crazy college kids, I bet they're in the easier to get dressed up crew, they don't mind throwing on some khakis and a decent shirt.

I tried to make notes to the questions, but here is my reply.

I am 58 but still like Jimmy Buffett, 70's country rock and most music.

As to dress, younger people should be taught that it is appropriate to be elegant or "dress to impress" I think women, esp. younger girls, like to dress up so they should insist their guys do that as well. If wife or gf dresses to impress the man should do as well.

No, 60s and 30+ years of cruising (1st in 1982), I have seen it all. Mid-80s, I was rather underdressed on a 2 week Panama Canal Big Band cruise. I looked nice, but did not have a long dress every night like many women did. I was 39 & just 10 of us under 50!

Why does the world have to go casual? Shorts in the dining room, no way! MDR is nice, and to me shorts/polo shirts belong in the buffet area.

I don't get the, "it is my vacation, I should be able to dress the way I want". Why choose a vacation where you know there are certain expectations?

NO/40's. I love getting dressed up for dinner during the cruise. I like the excitement of getting dressed up and looking nice for dinner and in my opinion, it makes the experience that much better. I wear jeans or pj's every other night for dinner at home.

thats the other part. Why get dressed to the nines for mediocre food....Seriously, its a step above Sizzlers

Now that's just fantastic....you just got an audible laugh out of me....

still though, could we just put some nice pants and a shirt on? I'm willing to go nice khaki shorts (no cargos) and polo shirt minimum. C'mon people, make it look like we give a darn!

I have to disagree with your analogy on country clubs. The great majority of country clubs in the US allow shorts for play by their members. That industry is dying and they have chosen to adapt rather than go out of business.

I would much rather see nice shorts in the MDR than jeans, hoodies, etc. I get tired of trying to follow the suggested rules just to have someone who may be within the guidelines but looks like a slob sit at my table. This is the reason we do my time dining. We don't want to be stuck with them, or the fashion police(who we got stuck with them once as well).

I think there should be a dress code that allows dressy shorts, bans denim, and relaxes formal night. Slacks, a dress shirt and maybe a jacket are fine. Of course, that would remove some of the entertainment value of some of the outfits we have seen on formal night. I am in my early fifties and there always seems to be a few women around my age that appear to be wearing a dress that they wore to their high school prom.

Edited by CRZRDaveinNC

One day the cruise line WILL relax their policy, just as it has been majorly relaxed every few years. It wasn't that long ago that breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all first and second seating in the dining room and if you were late too bad. That's a dead policy; people wouldn't put up with it getting to breakfast by 7:45AM or waiting for lunch on vacation. Relaxation of current policy is coming. It is inevitable. Relaxing the dress code doesn't mean you can't still dress up; no one will force you to be more casual if it makes you uncomfortable. Dressing up makes me uncomfortable. I dress up more on vacation than I do in my day to day life. I'm not keen to keep spending thousands of dollars for an experience I don't like. Since I am among the younger set here you can bet the change will come because it's my money that's got a 40+ year timeline to pay the note on these new mega-ships.

YES - 50's

After I have been out in the hot sun all day I really have no desire to dress up. BUT, people need to be sensible - hence the problem - not all are sensible. No bathing suits but see no problem with shorts.

I would rather have someone in shorts sitting next to me at dinner then someone dressed up that smells and is dirty - yes it has happened to me.

Years ago on Celebrity I had a woman sitting next to me that would pick her teeth with her fingernail. Whatever treasure she found she would wipe on the tablecloth - oh yuck!! Her napkin was tucked into her dress/gown and not only would her wipe her hands on it but blow her nose into it. She put her fingers in her water glass to wipe them off. THIS IS ALL TRUE! Then she would tell us how rich she is. So I would much rather have someone dressed down then her!!!

FYI - you can set rules for clothing but unfortunately not CLASS!!! LOL

As far the statement that it's "a step above a sizzler," they have table cloths, fresh flowers, waiters that fall all over themselves to please you and a beautiful place to eat dinner...none of which are at the sizzler, so asking someone to wear pants and a polo shirt isn't really out of line. You have the WJ, which more closely resembles the sizzler and you can wear shorts there, even though they too use a table cloth at dinner instead of the paper place mat at your local buffet like the sizzler.

We have a winner!

NO / 30s

We need to stop this "laziness" that is eroding our society. It's "not

comfortable" to wear pants while on vacation?!? That is truly the definition of a first world problem. Suck it up.

What the heck are "dressy" shorts?

I think there should be a dress code that allows dressy shorts, bans denim, and relaxes formal night. Slacks, a dress shirt and maybe a jacket are fine. Of course, that would remove some of the entertainment value of some of the outfits we have seen on formal night. I am in my early fifties and there always seems to be a few women around my age that appear to be wearing a dress that they wore to their high school prom.

We have a winner!

She sounds like those religious freedom types. Freedom means they get what they want imposed on all others, no one else has any actual freedom. Enjoy Mexico, sure you pay a lot of US taxes there :rolleyes:

NO 50..Why do people say its my vacation and I can dress the way I want. Yes, you spend your money on a vacation with rules you agree too. If everybody follow the rules what a great world this whould be. It's call respect for each other. Now if they want to relax some rules, like shorts with a belt I would be happy.