Timing of flight for a FLL departure

ldeflavia

Taking the Oasis out of FLL on a Sat. morning. We originally booked an early morning flight that got us into FLL at 10:45am. Unbeknownst to us, the airline canceled our flight and re-booked us on a later flight. We now get into FLL at 1:05pm. We need to be on the ship no later than 3pm since it departs at 4:30. Will this new flight give us enough time to get our bags and find a cab from the airport to the ship?

Flying in the day before is not an option for us. This airline does not have any earlier flights that day. I'm just so upset that the airline cancelled our flights (they also cancelled and re-booked our return flight too).

Taking the Oasis out of FLL on a Sat. morning. We originally booked an early morning flight that got us into FLL at 10:45am. Unbeknownst to us, the airline canceled our flight and re-booked us on a later flight. We now get into FLL at 1:05pm. We need to be on the ship no later than 3pm since it departs at 4:30. Will this new flight give us enough time to get our bags and find a cab from the airport to the ship?

Flying in the day before is not an option for us. This airline does not have any earlier flights that day. I'm just so upset that the airline cancelled our flights (they also cancelled and re-booked our return flight too).

As long as your flight is on time you should be okay. A cab ride to the port is only about 10 minutes.

That said, there are many things that can go wrong that you should be aware of: possible weather delays, mechanical issues with the plane etc. You said you can't fly in the day before, but does your airline have a really late flight the day before? A red eye?

As long as your flight is on time you should be okay. A cab ride to the port is only about 10 minutes.

That said, there are many things that can go wrong that you should be aware of: possible weather delays, mechanical issues with the plane etc. You said you can't fly in the day before, but does your airline have a really late flight the day before? A red eye?

Agree 100% with the above.......I would rather come in late the night before than to worry about cutting it this close!......:eek:

eh this makes me so nervous for you!

Yes, if everything goes perfect you can make it. But what if something doesn't? Do you connect? Last time I had a connecting flight for my cruise, it was the day before our cruise and we were getting antsy because I guess there was a big storm on the East Coast which delayed the plane we were supposed to be getting on. So, we were in ATL just sitting and waiting. Delayed over and over and over waiting on that D**n plane to get there. It finally made it but with 3 hours of delays we were so friggin late getting into FLL it wasn't even funny. Thankfully we fly the day before.

Now, I don't mean to scare you, but this is what I mean. Even if the weather is good where you are, you have to consider where your pane that you are getting on is coming from. I would call the airline ASAP and tell them that the change they made doesn't work for you. They either have to work with you to get you on a flight that does, or they should be willing to cancel you and maybe you can book with another airline that has a different itinerary? It's their change that made it not work for you, not one you made so they should work with you to assist you.

I'd feel a lot better if you can tell us this is a direct flight from your home airport. :confused: Even tho I'd still be nervous. Things happen.

Hope too you can say this is not a winter month.

If you have ANY connections I'd definitely do everything possible to change this flight. Starting with talking to someone at the airline. it is up to them to make a change for you. If not to get you on another airline that will work.

And I'd for sure carry a change of clothes in your carry on in case your checked bags are delayed.

Thanks all for your responses! To clarify, it is a direct flight from Philly to FLL and it's in June. So no winter weather to worry about or making connecting flights. We can't fly out the night before either due to a late night commitment we have (and no flights past 8:30pm anyway). We're just going to go for it and cross our fingers. 4 out of the last 5 cruises we've taken we have flown in the day of and never had a problem (always in June or July).

Yes, you're all putting me in a panic but all the people traveling in my group want to do it this way....so we shall see!!!

Thanks all for your responses! To clarify, it is a direct flight from Philly to FLL and it's in June. So no winter weather to worry about or making connecting flights. We can't fly out the night before either due to a late night commitment we have (and no flights past 8:30pm anyway). We're just going to go for it and cross our fingers. 4 out of the last 5 cruises we've taken we have flown in the day of and never had a problem (always in June or July).

Yes, you're all putting me in a panic but all the people traveling in my group want to do it this way....so we shall see!!!

You better have a backup plan in place.

We get daily thunderstorms around noon from June through August and they will regularly stop airport traffic.

Sorry, did use the correct terminology...we have a non-stop flight.

Sorry - if it came off snippy. It wasn't intended that way. But you can get a smarty pants customer service airline rep that will book you direct because you said direct. Information is power. Even if its as useless as direct v non-stop. :D

Wow - that is a nail biter for sure! And even more difficult as it sounds like there are a bunch of you doing this. You will probably make it. But I would have a back-up plan in mind - not sure exactly what that would be, but I guess at the very least see what other flights other airlines have in case yours gets changed again or postponed or whatever. I would also see what flights there are to the first port of call if needed (and possible). Don't want to cause you stress, but this one is really, really a close call. Honestly, I would do what I could to do carry-on luggage even if that meant wearing half your clothes on the plane and wearing outfits more than once. Sometimes luggage can take forever even if the plane is on time. Doing so could literally mean the difference between meeting your cruise or missing it!! The distance from the airport to the ship is not far, but it is a long walk from some of the gates to the baggage claim, and then you have to catch a taxi and so on.

If it were me, since the airline cancelled your flight I would see if I could just get a refund and try to get on another airline. Not sure if they would do this, but I would try.

Unfortunately, while summer does not have snow storms to worry about, thunderstorms and fog issues can wreak havoc as well. I once got stuck in Chicago for six hours due to heavy fog. Hope you make it!