Dollars accepted in United Kingdom?

I agree that generally the refusal will be polite, but almost everywhere they will be refused. Would Americans expect our merchants to take pounds? Of course not. Trying to use another countries currency is a prime example of "Ugly Americanism."

I agree that generally the refusal will be polite, but almost everywhere they will be refused. Would Americans expect our merchants to take pounds? Of course not. Trying to use another countries currency is a prime example of "Ugly Americanism."

I agree with you that many of our fellow Americans are guilty of assuming that everyone abroad speaks English, that our dollars should be accepted everywhere, etc. But there are actually some places in the world where the local currency is so worthless (Argentina, for example) that many there WANT to be paid in U.S. dollars. (We have experienced this visiting Egypt as well as Argentina.) I don't think any American should expect to be able to use U.S. dollars in places like the UK or Ireland, but there are, unfortunately, some countries in the world where it's a legitimate question to ask.

I agree with you that many of our fellow Americans are guilty of assuming that everyone abroad speaks English, that our dollars should be accepted everywhere, etc. But there are actually some places in the world where the local currency is so worthless (Argentina, for example) that many there WANT to be paid in U.S. dollars. (We have experienced this visiting Egypt as well as Argentina.) I don't think any American should expect to be able to use U.S. dollars in places like the UK or Ireland, but there are, unfortunately, some countries in the world where it's a legitimate question to ask.

If we are speaking of the very few countries where the U.S. Dollar is readily accepted and actually preferred, I agree. However this thread is specific to the UK.

I live in Orlando where there are as many Brits as there are Americans, and I assure you that if a Brit tried to pay with pounds they would be looked at like they were crazy. I'm guessing most Americans wouldn't recognize a pound from Monopoly money.-- most don't even know what Canadian currency looks like.

But don't you understand that we might find it rather insulting to be classed along with those countries with a tin-pot economy?

If we are speaking of the very few countries where the U.S. Dollar is readily accepted and actually preferred, I agree. However this thread is specific to the UK.

I live in Orlando where there are as many Brits as there are Americans, and I assure you that if a Brit tried to pay with pounds they would be looked at like they were crazy. I'm guessing most Americans wouldn't recognize a pound from Monopoly money.-- most don't even know what Canadian currency looks like.

But don't you understand that we might find it rather insulting to be classed along with those countries with a tin-pot economy?

Agreed, and I thought I was clear that the UK is not in that category of countries, and it really is wrong of Americans to think our dollars would readily be accepted. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Edited by Turtles06

I think taking offence because an American doesn't understand the UK is a bit over the top. Surprise, maybe. Offence, why? They weren't trying to be insulting.

Quite a lot of countries like US dollars, ducklite. Not just a very few. In most of the Caribbean, most of Africa, and much of South America, the locals (not usually the government agencies) like US dollars. The more informal the sales outlet, the more likely to want US dollars.

I once saw a sign in Egypt selling a pack of postcards for "1 pound, 1 dollar, or 1 mark". The price in Egyptian pounds wasn't mentioned.

I think taking offence because an American doesn't understand the UK is a bit over the top. Surprise, maybe. Offence, why? They weren't trying to be insulting.

Quite a lot of countries like US dollars, ducklite. Not just a very few. In most of the Caribbean, most of Africa, and much of South America, the locals (not usually the government agencies) like US dollars. The more informal the sales outlet, the more likely to want US dollars.

I once saw a sign in Egypt selling a pack of postcards for "1 pound, 1 dollar, or 1 mark". The price in Egyptian pounds wasn't mentioned.

The reality is that so many Americans are provincial at best and boorish and self-absorbed at worst that despite what they were taught in fifth grade, they don't have the common sense to think that currency, cultural norms, languages, travel directions, etc. could be different.

As an American I find it increasingly frustrating that my fellow country men are so lazy to not take a minute to learn what the preferred currency is in another land. Am I a perfect traveler? I try, but I am sure I have broken a cultural "unwritten rule" by accident once or twice. Over tipped, walked on the wrong side on the stairs or sidewalk, and probably told a shop girl that the scarf I was admiring was "a very pretty grasshopper" due to poor pronounciation.

The difference is that I try to meld in and be as considerate and unobtrusive as possible when in a foreign country by spending a bit of time to learn some phrases and words in their language, wearing clothing that allows me to blend in, and learning the local customs in terms of everything from ordering in a restaurant to the type of public loo to expect.

I'd also point out that some of the Caribbean takes US dollars grudgingly, and most of the African countries that prefer US dollars are in such economic agony due to internal political strife that they will take pretty much any currency offered, with a preference towards those with stable economies of which the U.S not the only one and not the most stable by any means.

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't happen so frequently. Hardly a week goes by without the same, or a very similar, question being asked.

As my place of residence alternates between 2 countries (dual nationality) I probably see the same question asked more frequently than some.

"Can I use my US dollars in . . . .(substitute UK, New Zealand, or Australia)?"

While you may be able to use your US dollars in some places that are tourist-orientated, by and large, you will need the local currencies. If you insist on using US dollars, you probably won't get a good rate of exchange and you will receive change in the local currency.

You can use credit cards and all these countries have ATM machines where you can obtain local currency cash.

I agree with ducklite.

I went to a pub in Ireland and they had quite a few foreign currency notes pinned to the ceiling. I thought they must had been obsolete currency until I saw a current AUD $10. They said it is not worth it to exchange the (money wise and effort wise) so the just decorate the ceiling with them.

The reality is that so many Americans are provincial at best and boorish and self-absorbed at worst that despite what they were taught in fifth grade, they don't have the common sense to think that currency, cultural norms, languages, travel directions, etc. could be different.

As an American I find it increasingly frustrating that my fellow country men are so lazy to not take a minute to learn what the preferred currency is in another land. Am I a perfect traveler? I try, but I am sure I have broken a cultural "unwritten rule" by accident once or twice. Over tipped, walked on the wrong side on the stairs or sidewalk, and probably told a shop girl that the scarf I was admiring was "a very pretty grasshopper" due to poor

The difference is that I try to meld in and be as considerate and unobtrusive as possible when in a foreign country by spending a bit of time to learn some phrases and words in their language, wearing clothing that allows me to blend in, and learning the local customs in terms of everything from ordering in a restaurant to the type of public loo to expect.

I'd also point out that some of the Caribbean takes US dollars grudgingly, and most of the African countries that prefer US dollars are in such economic agony due to internal political strife that they will take pretty much any currency offered, with a preference towards those with stable economies of which the U.S not the only one and not the most stable by any means.

You said it so well. This is where the " ugly American" comes from. Many have still not learned how to be guests in foreign countries, sad!

I'm guessing that this was at least partly because people who had enough nous to change their money, and actual Egyptians living in Egypt, were not their target market.

I'm guessing that this was at least partly because people who had enough nous to change their money, and actual Egyptians living in Egypt, were not their target market.

No, it was because they wanted foreign currency, not Egyptian.

They particularly like US dollars because it's paper. I have been asked by an Egyptian trader to change five £1 coins for a £5 note; they are limited in their use of foreign coins, but foreign paper money is what they really want.

A lot of Egyptians are not convinced that their government and their currency are stable and will last for ever. They are more confident about the US and other governments; and if, God forbid, there is a domestic collapse or a civil war, the man with the dollars is the rich man.

No, it was because they wanted foreign currency, not Egyptian.

They particularly like US dollars because it's paper. I have been asked by an Egyptian trader to change five £1 coins for a £5 note; they are limited in their use of foreign coins, but foreign paper money is what they really want.

A lot of Egyptians are not convinced that their government and their currency are stable and will last for ever. They are more confident about the US and other governments; and if, God forbid, there is a domestic collapse or a civil war, the man with the dollars is the rich man.

This as been the case in places like Egypt, Turkey etc. for years.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This has been the case in places like Egypt, Turkey etc. for years.

I agree, but the UK, NZ, and Australia are not like those countries - and I guess we don't like the assumption that they are. These countries have (relatively) stable governments and currency.

I agree, but the UK, NZ, and Australia are not like those countries - and I guess we don't like the assumption that they are. These countries have (relatively) stable governments and currency.

I know, I live in the UK. I was just stating that those countries have preferred £,$ for years not just recently because of the financial crash like the above poster said.

Over half of all US currency in circulation is held outside the US.

Edited by insanemagnet

I hate to say this about many of my fellow countrymen, but too many Americans are so provincial they aren't assuming anything about the UK, NZ, and Australia. They know so little of the world that they really aren't equating countries with vibrant, stable economies with those with shaky economies. They sincerely think everything about the US is so desirable that they can't see that their question is naive and unaware.

Their lack of knowledge is depressing enough. No need to add malice to their question!

I wonder what would happen if I plonked down some Aussie plastic dollars in America??

I guess I know.

They would not accept them unless you were at a currency exchange. Most U.S. Banks wouldn't even exchange them unless you are an account holder.

I hate to say this about many of my fellow countrymen, but too many Americans are so provincial they aren't assuming anything about the UK, NZ, and Australia. They know so little of the world that they really aren't equating countries with vibrant, stable economies with those with shaky economies. They sincerely think everything about the US is so desirable that they can't see that their question is naive and unaware.

Their lack of knowledge is depressing enough. No need to add malice to their question!

My favorite American abroad story (and I am an American as well): Ten years ago, during our first trip to Paris, I had climbed up late one day to the Towers of Notre Dame. It was of course beyond spectacular to be up there, almost reverential as I marveled at the beautiful city spread out before me. Suddenly, the silence was punctuated by an American woman who exclaimed, VERY LOUDLY, in English, "I wonder what river that is down there?" I was mortified.

I think one of the things that amazed me so much was that the woman had actually gotten herself to Europe, and to Paris specifically, and yet still had so little knowledge about where she was.

My favorite American abroad story (and I am an American as well): Ten years ago, during our first trip to Paris, I had climbed up late one day to the Towers of Notre Dame. It was of course beyond spectacular to be up there, almost reverential as I marveled at the beautiful city spread out before me. Suddenly, the silence was punctuated by an American woman who exclaimed, VERY LOUDLY, in English, "I wonder what river that is down there?" I was mortified.

I think one of the things that amazed me so much was that the woman had actually gotten herself to Europe, and to Paris specifically, and yet still had so little knowledge about where she was.

Unfortunately we have had similar experiences. Many Americans travel just to be able to say, " I was there."

Edited by orchestrapal

I would have been sooo tempted to say 'the English Channel' and then point to Sacre Couer and tell her it is St Pauls Cathedral - Great view eh?:rolleyes: