Royal Fan Does Carnival

Thanks for the review. We have been considering Carnival Breeze for our next cruise. Mostly due to RCCL’s current pricing. But I was very concerned about the quality of Carnival and nightly entertainment.

It’s nice to hear how they compare. It’s been hard to compare for the most part since either people sail only Carnival or only RCCL. But it appears a lot of RCCL “loyal” are looking now.

Does Carnival have shows or just comedians?

There was entertainment every night but not always a show in the theater. Some nights it was only the comedy club .. 4 shows (2 family and 2 adult). Then other music, game shows, marriage show, juggler, etc

I think the best approach for an experienced RCL cruiser, trying Carnival, is to just assume it's a slight downgrade. If you're saving money, or it's a new itinerary, you're ahead. You might be pleasantly surprised, a number of things are better on Carnival than RCL.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

HI all!

I've gone solo on RCL 3x, NCL (5x) & Carnival (3x) & didn't find one any better/worse than the others. One benefit to the new NCL ships is their studio cabins.

I didn't try Carnival until my 23rd cruise because of it's rep but loved it so much I went on Dream once & Breeze twice in 18 months. Last time I got a

no single supplement deal for a cove balcony, so nice.

I don't see much difference in the MDR food on the ships & do love the free extras on Carnival like Guy's,Cucina,etc. The shows on NCL & RCL are great but I love the comics on CCL. Carnival has such a fun vibe & offers so many trivia games.

I'm really hoping to go on Sunshine or Vista.

~ Jo ~ :)

We have been on RCL 6x and Carnival 9x . The comedy club puts the overall experience over the top as bit lines was pretty awful variety shows. The food is a tad better on Carnival but if you have 2.0 it is quite better. Never had a bad cruise on either

We're very new to cruising with a lowly 1 cruise under our belts. Definitely open to trying Carnival, particularly one of the Breeze itineraries had my interest. We love the sea days and open public spaces. Maybe the pictures skew my perception a bit, but the pool/sun deck areas on all of the Carnival ships seem claustrophobic and crowded. I really like how the Voyager and Freedom class ships have the upper sun deck with the track around the perimeter and the middle of the ship being open. I'm sure actually onboard gives a totally different feel, but as silly as it seems, that is one thing that's kept me from booking the Carnival trip and doing RCCL again.

The BOGO pricing is too confusing/misleading -- the advertised pricing is almost always non-existent. if most things are similar; I'm going to try Carnival again.

Current BOGOHO is a laugh. We booked our Freedom cruise in September .. 3 cabins .. and current BOGOHO is $5,000 more than September.

Royal is our favorite.......however.......we love Carnival Breeze! We have been on her twice and loved it both times! Agree with the posters that commented on liking the Carnival food a little better. Definitely a contender when choosing a cruise and cost us (family of 4) much less - even over spring break!

The decor on Breeze is SO much better - feels very relaxing and tropical! :D

Those sales must be few and far between. I wish we could come across one. In 5 or 6 cruises my sister has paid double every time. It would be nice for her to get a break once in a while.

Try the fall, I have gotten some very good deals then, ie: 10% solo supplement on Allure. Also, be willing to book within a few weeks of cruising.

I agree with the OP, I tried Carnival last year after a long absence and loved it so much I'm going back next month. Gotta get a breakfast burrito and some Guy's Burgers. :D:D

Great post! Sounds intriguing. How about the demographic of fellow Carnival passengers vs. your past RCCL cruises?

Our opinion,,,

Its a lot closer then most non-Carnival cruisers want to admit!

RCL, NCL, and Carnival are very close in demographic of passengers everywhere the prices are close!

When Carnival cruises get very cheap with a sale, you'll see a few more young families with young children, and younger cruisers.

But at vacation time, there is very little difference between these 3 cruise lines!

Thank you for posting what looks like a fair and honest assessment. We've been considering Carnival for our next cruise after Oasis later this year.

From the photos I've seen, Carnival's décor seems a little more .... flamboyant perhaps. I've also noticed that the seating in the staterooms - at least in the pics I've seen - look like vinyl vs. cloth, which seems like it would be easier to clean, but less comfortable to sit and relax.

Could you give your perspective on the staterooms (size, comforts, storage, bathrooms) and overall ship décor as compared to Royal ships?

Carnival cabins on average are approx. 25% larger when comparing comparable cabins/prices.

I agree with you. We are diamond on RCCL and gold on Carnival. They are very much alike. I believe the food is better on Carnival but the larger RCCL ships have more to do. We would sail either depending on price and itinerary.

We're D+ on RCL and Plat. on Carnival, and we agree with you, but would add that RCL's larger ships are the destination, where the larger Carnival ships usually have an extra port day!

I can't remember a past thread where RCI cruisers seem to be so positive about experiences with Carnival. I post this only because it seems to be a major shift in thinking on this board. I wonder if it is getting the attention of RCI at all?

We see many similarities between Carnival and Royal. Royal does have nice benefits for our D Plus level. Carnival does treat Diamonds pretty well, too. There are extras that are not advertised, depending on the ship and officers. Carnival's steakhouses are far better than Royal's. Cabin space and layout, we find, superior on Carnival.

Deciding factor for us, of late, has been pricing. The BOGOmess is leading us to sit on several Next Cruise certificates (old style) and wait. The website has kept us from even browsing with Royal. Maybe we'll come back around later. Meanwhile, Carnival is keeping us happy and booked. The Carnival Live concerts have been great entertainment, as well! :)

Agree with your comments!

I can't remember a past thread where RCI cruisers seem to be so positive about experiences with Carnival. I post this only because it seems to be a major shift in thinking on this board. I wonder if it is getting the attention of RCI at all?

I agree. My last three cruises have been non-RCCL, even with the benefits I get, the price is just too high for me. I usually travel solo and RCCL is no longer my best deal. I was nervous to try Carnival, but, I had a great time on the Sunshine and expect to on the Conquest, as well. I look for solo deals on all lines and am willing to try everything, MSC was fabulous!

I have cruised over 20 times on Carnival, 10 or so on RCL, and 7 or so on Celebrity. I see them as virtually the same, except:

The Oasis and Allure are just amazing! A step above.

As a Diamond I get some free drinks on RCL.

Carnival is usually the most affordable. A big plus!

Celebrity sometimes has really interesting guest lecturers.

Food is virtually the same on all three.

Crews are all helpful and friendly on all three.

The only complaint I have is they all make me get off at the end of the week!

Many of RCL's cruises on the larger ships have 3 port days, the ship is the destination, while most of Carnival's larger ships have 4 port days!

Carnival has spent more on private ports then RCL, again the difference between a port vs the ship!

We also are RC fans that tried carnival but because we were worried that we would not like it we tried ships with the 2.0 upgrades, Breeze and Sunshine.

And we loved it :D

Still prefer RC, maybe because have the best of both worlds, but for us everything is similar.

Carnival seemed to us that have more fun details everywhere and more parties.Loved (loved!!!!) the Guys burguers, pizza and Mexican food...the best that we had in our 11 cruises and loved the party athmosphere during all cruise. The adult area in Sunshine was huge!!!

The decor was perfect for us because we were in the new ships (not the "vegas" old ones), with more classy and modern decor (we were in NCL Epic for instance-Norweigian cruise Lines- and in our opinion the decor was so-so...specially the pool area).

Conclusion: For us (I repeat, for us): :D

Food seems the same (exception for pizza, mexican an guys burguer which are perfect), the shows are much better in RC, the parties are funnier in Carnival, the athmosphere is similar but seems more casual and funny in carnival, more classy in RC.

but, we were warned that the Breeze is not the Carnival standard, so we had lucky with the ship we chose ;)

Would agree with what you said, but would add you'd likely 'enjoy all the ships with 2.0 upgrades', and there are a lot of them now!

i can't remember a past thread where rci cruisers seem to be so positive about experiences with carnival. I post this only because it seems to be a major shift in thinking on this board. I wonder if it is getting the attention of rci at all?

ImageUploadedByForums1427554535.815107.jpg.11e41142950b452a848eee557f6974a2.jpg

DH and i have cruised 4X 3 carnival 1 holland go every yr in jan. This past Jan did the partial canal on holland. Wow found it very quiet nothing to do on sea days only 1 comedy night BBKing show OK. Mostly computer classes and cooking demos not our cup of tea but food choices in mdr none really so ate off the lido deck first for us. Went to Steak house, Carnival has spoiled us was free (promo w/drink pkg too) no where near as good few choices.Mostly an older crowd but i have to say as with any cruise Staff was amazing. Planning a family cruise with our children in Feb/16 they are in their late 20s with fiances and so looking at RCI so will be booking the Allure Oasis wanted them to have stuff to do. I think the options on these ships will be amazing (flowrider rockwall ect) since they are very active outdoor bunch. So THANKYOU so much for this thread.

I have been following this thread from it's beginning and as it has progressed have noticed the same thing you have. There has been no Carnival flame throwing at all and a general level of very objective commentary about both lines. I mention this not because I have far more experience with CCL than RCI but like you, wonder if there is a shift in attitude on this board?

I thought the same thing.

When I first joined CC if you mentioned Carnival on the RC site you were treated like a second class citizen LOL !

I always wondered how many of the Carnival bashers ever sailed on Carnival.

I thought the same thing.

When I first joined CC if you mentioned Carnival on the RC site you were treated like a second class citizen LOL !

I always wondered how many of the Carnival bashers ever sailed on Carnival.

I wrote a Carnival vs Royal Caribbean comparison 1 year ago, being very objective, and took some heat. There's definitely a shift.