Carnival Corp Announces Agreement for Nine New Ships

seacruise9

There is also a strong ongoing rumor that the Pacific Princess - a small ship similar to the Ocean Princess - will be officially up for sale after the Princess 50th anniversary sailing in December 2015.

We have had great times on the Pacific Princess but I fear you are exactly right. With only 680 passengers, Pacific Princess is a poor fit when all the other ships are 2,500+ passengers.

Prinsendam might be included in the four- she's on her way out. I predict more Fincantieri Vista-class ships with modifications to suit each line. Fantasy class Carnival ships are always rumored to be on their way out but they are money makers.

One thing I am quite sure of; if Cunard gets another ship it won't be an ocean liner like QM2.

That would be a real same.

Floating apartment houses masquerading as cruise ships won't last - it just a trend (and an unsafe trend, imho).

Ocean Liners are tried and true, and with advanced technology, there will always be a place for ocean liners - but I agree, there will never be an ocean liner like QM2.

Floating apartment houses masquerading as cruise ships won't last - it just a trend (and an unsafe trend, imho).

The big majority of passengers now quite like floating appartments with balconies. They are not overly concerned about the outside apperence of the vessel.

Most modern appartments blocks on land are ugly.

David.

Hi,

I seriously doubt that any of the four ships that soon will be removed from the fleet will be Cunard ships. Most likely these will be some of the older / smaller Holland America, Costa or Carnival ships.

Carnival needs to get rid of their Fantasy class ships. The problems is that nobody is going to want to buy them...

Fantasy class ships went into service starting in 1990 so retirement in the next five years or so sounds about right. All but the last two have traditional shaft drives so they're not as fuel efficient or manuverable as their younger sisters.

One thing I am quite sure of; if Cunard gets another ship it won't be an ocean liner like QM2.

Cunard always touts the QM2 as the only ocean liner sailing the seas today, yet it takes 7 days for the transatlantic crossing. If Cunard was truly operating the QM2 as an ocean liner it would make the crossing in 5 days or less. Considering the cost of airfare, the QM2 could be competitive pricewise with air travel. Would you rather sit in a cramped tube for 7 hours or enjoy a luxurious 5 day sea voyage?

Cunard always touts the QM2 as the only ocean liner sailing the seas today, yet it takes 7 days for the transatlantic crossing. If Cunard was truly operating the QM2 as an ocean liner it would make the crossing in 5 days or less. Considering the cost of airfare, the QM2 could be competitive pricewise with air travel. Would you rather sit in a cramped tube for 7 hours or enjoy a luxurious 5 day sea voyage?
Hi milleruszk

I believe that QM2 could do the crossing in five days (but not less as you indicate above, forgive me if I am wrong). Please don't mix up "liners" with high speed, you can have both of course, but you can have one without the other.

However the cost in fuel, for regular five-day crossings, would be horrific :eek: , and when passed on to passengers would result in such high fares, that bookings would collapse.

In the 30s and 50s only a very few express liners made the crossing in five days (and often these were heavily subsidised by governments as in "ships of state"). Most ships took a week or much longer.

QM2 is not competing with airlines as you suggest. I recently posted an experience when I tried to convince someone to sail the Atlantic rather than fly. The reply was that they weren't going to spend a week getting anywhere when they could be there in a few hours (people will put up with the cramped tube when the time spent in it is short).

Added to which, other than a few ship/liner "enthusiasts", most of the people I speak with on board are very happy to spend longer at sea, rather than the crossing be over before it has begun. They like the days at sea, enjoying the facilities the ship has to offer.

I'm Not suggesting you're one of them of course, but many (not all) of the people who most want to see high-speed crossings (28 knots or five days) have never set foot on a liner, or in many cases any ship, and they never will. They sail (as someone else here said) frequently on the RMS Armchair and cruise on the SS Computer.

Some friends of my father are "rail enthusiasts", very, very keen on trains and high speeds (not just the romance of steam engines). They rush about the country to see rare trains or engines, can talk for hours about express trains and record-breaking runs. But they drive everywhere, almost never take a train. I know 'cus I asked once "when were you last on a train?" I got blank looks... The same with many "liner nuts" (not all).

Put on a high speed liner service across the pond and they'd all turn up to photograph it from the quay, but not one would use it regularly as a mode of transport.

I enjoyed my six-day crossing on QM2 in 2006, but I enjoy even more the extra day on board that seven-day crossings allow :)

All best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

I've always been at odds with those here who enjoy longer and longer QM2 crossings. Perhaps it's because I'm not retired yet still want it both ways: time to cross the Atlantic by sea yet still have vacation time to enjoy some sights in the UK or Europe.

This year I'll be sailing EB and WB TA and spend four days in London in between. Only enthusiasts like myself are willing to spend a collective 14 days on a boat to spend 4 days in London. My colleagues think I'm nuts to spend that much time on the 21st century equivalant of Titanic (which is how it's explained to the uninitiated) but it's my time and money not theirs.:D

Edited by BlueRiband

I've always been at odds with those here who enjoy longer and longer QM2 crossings. Perhaps it's because I'm not retired yet still want it both ways: time to cross the Atlantic by sea yet still have vacation time to enjoy some sights in the UK or Europe.

Cruise QM2 enough and you will be on her doing her best speed when a medivac need arises. We have several times.

Cruise QM2 enough and you will be on her doing her best speed when a medivac need arises. We have several times.
Thank you for reminding me Classiccruiser777,

Or, alternatively, when QM2 needs to make up lost time on a crossing due to adverse weather.

A couple of times, when I have been on board, it has been reported that she was doing in excess of 26 knots (one time 28 knots), in order to arrive on time.

Back in December 2013, following a storm, I was a visitor on the bridge when she was at 27 knots. Unlike mere cruise ships, QM2 has a vast reserve of power (and speed).

That is one of things that I like most about QM2, the way she can oh-so-slowly move through flat-calm waters

QM2 In the English Channel

Yet can also cope with mountainous seas

QM2 Winter crossing

Nothing seems to disturb her...

QM2 From Chart Room to Ocean... at speed!
:)

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

Or, alternatively, when QM2 needs to make up lost time on a crossing due to adverse weather.

A couple of times, when I have been on board, it has been reported that she was doing in excess of 26 knots (one time 28 knots), in order to arrive on time.

Back in December 2013, following a storm, I was a visitor on the bridge when she was at 27 knots. Unlike mere cruise ships, QM2 has a vast reserve of power (and speed).

That is one of things that I like most about QM2, the way she can oh-so-slowly move through flat-calm waters

QM2 Winter crossing

Wonderful photos as always, pepperrn. Many thanks. The video clip of passengers relaxing in the Chart Room while the seas rage outside is worth more than the proverbial thousand words.

QM2 Winter crossing

I may have said this before, but you have a great eye to take pictures. I enjoyed them. Thanks.

Wonderful photos as always, pepperrn. Many thanks. The video clip of passengers relaxing in the Chart Room while the seas rage outside is worth more than the proverbial thousand words.
Thank you Thaxted, very good of you :) .

Ah, the video clip. I was sat there reading, when suddenly noted the contrast between the interior calm, and the ocean rushing past... wish I'd had the right camera with me to do the shot justice.

Thank you again, much appreciated :)

Edited by pepperrn

I may have said this before, but you have a great eye to take pictures. I enjoyed them. Thanks.
Thank you DDBINK1, glad you enjoyed the photos, you're very kind to comment :)

Many happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi milleruszk

In the 30s and 50s only a very few express liners made the crossing in five days (and often these were heavily subsidised by governments as in "ships of state"). Most ships took a week or much longer.

Some friends of my father are "rail enthusiasts", very, very keen on trains and high speeds (not just the romance of steam engines). They rush about the country to see rare trains or engines, can talk for hours about express trains and record-breaking runs. But they drive everywhere, almost never take a train. I know 'cus I asked once "when were you last on a train?" I got blank looks... The same with many "liner nuts" (not all).

Put on a high speed liner service across the pond and they'd all turn up to photograph it from the quay, but not one would use it regularly as a mode of transport.

I enjoyed my six-day crossing on QM2 in 2006, but I enjoy even more the extra day on board that seven-day crossings allow :)

All best wishes to you :)

Our earlier crossings in the 1970s and 80s to or from New York were on the France (once) and several trips on the QE2 - all five day crossings. They seemed too fast in the sense that we just got unpacked and found our way around and it was time to pack again. In later days the QE2 was slowed to six-night crossings - and of course the QM2 did the crossings in six nights from the beginning - and this was just fine. The eight-day crossings don't appeal as much, not because I don't want to spend the extra day on board but because I don't want to pay what will normally be a higher fare.

We had some delightful crossings from Montreal to Southampton or Tilbury on a tiny little ship, Polish Ocean Line's Stefan Batory (originally Holland America's Maasdam). This 16-knot, 16,000 GRT ship took eight or nine days depending on the British port. We were on the last crossing in 1987 - six months before the ship's retirement - and that was the end of what could be called regularly-scheduled Atlantic crossings to or from Canada.

I enjoyed the comments about rail enthusiasts. I consider myself a "rail travel enthusiast" and I am ashamed of most enthusiasts or "railfans" as they are often called on our side of the pond. Many "fans" bemoan the lack of steam-hauled excursions in Canada. In the days when there were several main-line excursions in the Toronto area I would meet several enthusiasts at run-bys or turn-around points who bragged about their photos. A comment often directed to me and others who paid to ride the train was: "Why would you ride the train when you can get better pictures by driving on a parallel route?" My response was always: "If people don't pay to ride these excursions there soon won't be any" to which I got a blank look. Rail and ship enthusiasts are often cut from the same cloth.

Edited by david,Mississauga

<snippage />

I enjoyed the comments about rail enthusiasts. I consider myself a "rail travel enthusiast" and I am ashamed of most enthusiasts or "railfans" as they are often called on our side of the pond. Many "fans" bemoan the lack of steam-hauled excursions in Canada. In the days when there were several main-line excursions in the Toronto area I would meet several enthusiasts at run-bys or turn-around points who bragged about their photos. A comment often directed to me and others who paid to ride the train was: "Why would you ride the train when you can get better pictures by driving on a parallel route?" My response was always: "If people don't pay to ride these excursions there soon won't be any" to which I got a blank look. Rail and ship enthusiasts are often cut from the same cloth.

On the other hand, for rail fans, take a look at Diverging Clear Productions. Mary Rae McPherson [principal photographer] is also the Conductor of Amtrak's City of New Orleans

... The eight-day crossings don't appeal as much, not because I don't want to spend the extra day on board but because I don't want to pay what will normally be a higher fare.
Hi David,

Good point. Actually I'd find eight-day crossings too slow (unless including a call at Halifax). Seven days feels "right" and I've done quite a few now, but six was good as well. No shorter thank you (for me at least, I know others feel differently). But eight-day crossings are expensive, as you correctly point out.

Thank you for this. My feelings exactly. Very well said. And the same goes for "line voyages" by liner or ship. Use them or lose them.

I use the UK rail system all the time, sometime several times a week, for short and longer trips. I enjoy travelling by train (there is little pleasure in driving in the UK), but am not a "railfan".

However I am always amazed at how many self-confessed train enthusiasts, who turn out to photograph vintage steam trains, or even modern ones, who can tell you everything you never wanted to know about an obscure diesel locomotive, but who haven't actually been ON a train in many years. Odd. I'd want to support my hobby or area of interest... which reminds me, time to book another QM2 trip... ;)

With all possible best wishes and thanks :)

Edited by pepperrn

Odd. I'd want to support my hobby or area of interest... which reminds me, time to book another QM2 trip...

You are not alone. I have more Harris Tweed jackets/scarves/hats then I'll ever use and far more cruises than most people who like cruising will ever take for just the same reason.

BTW, I think your pictures are excellent.