Why moan about room service costs?

Evening all

A couple of pounds room service charge is nothing compared to the airfares.

My flight on escape transatlantic was £342.00 through NCL now it's £100,494.00

Maybe I can get a steward to deliver me back to the UK for $7.95

Just a thought

*-:-)

Shush you!! Don't bring common sense to these forums, its not allowed!!

(Just joking, you're right.[emoji4] )

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Shush you!! Don't bring common sense to these forums, its not allowed!!

(Just joking, you're right.[emoji4] )

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Thanks for being rational.....NCL is going through changes and the customers will help develop their business model by virtue of how they spend their dollars if they choose NCL and on board. I love reading the comments, find most of them quite entertaining...Oh the drama.

I want to see what other mass market cruise lines do as well. Royal Caribbean has already raised drink prices and the gratuity is also 18% now but I'm not sure if they did that before or after NCL. It might have been around the same time actually. It's also 18% on Celebrity which is still mass market, although I believe considered a premium cruise line.

The question is, if other cruise lines start charging for room service and doing other things we are seeing at NCL, would they do it because NCL is and they're "getting away with it" or would they have done it anyway in the first place? In other words, a classic case of "what came first, the chicken or the egg?"

Although I am disappointed with some of these increases, and I have stated so on some of the threads I've been following regarding the increases, I have full intention of going on my cruise in July on Breakaway and enjoying myself to the fullest. And the group we are going with says the same thing. Not gonna let this spoil our fun!

Thanks for being rational.....NCL is going through changes and the customers will help develop their business model by virtue of how they spend their dollars if they choose NCL and on board. I love reading the comments, find most of them quite entertaining...Oh the drama.

After having laryngitis during my 2nd cruise (cured by the way of Martini tasting on the 2nd day - Thank you, Shaker's staff!!!) and observation on the 1st one, the cups used for room service and/or buffet were too tini tiny for my tastes - I better invest in a travel mug like other people I've noticed. This room service charge was just more of an 'push' for me to go and buy one before any new trips because 3-4 servings of those cups is about equal to 12 oz travel mug anyway - so I'm basic paying a $4.95 -7.95 service charge for 12oz drink, heck no I'm not paying that!!!

It all comes down to math and what one's time is worth - I don't want to be waiting 45 minutes like last couple of times for some tiny bit of hot water for tea when all I have to do is go to one of the buffets and make a giant mug of it there without making it too sweet. While I'm at it get my some sandwiches and/or snacks put it on a plate or bring myself a ziplock bag, then enjoy it in my room, on the Waterfront or wherever. i dunno why the people most upset about changes don't realize its not 1st time people on NCL have taken food from buffet and enjoyed it elsewhere - its like a shock to their systems and sensibilities.....

I think some of you are missing the point of the OP's original post, which I took to be quite tongue in cheek.

Airfare for the Escape transatlantic has increased by £100,152. Ouch! NCL iS digging deep for that extra revenue.

Evening all

Just a thought

Well you can pay that air fare AND pay for room service. Congratulations on pounds well spent! ;)

PS: can I send my room service bill to your cabin :cool:

Evening all

Just a thought

quite a leap. Hurry before you gave to flap your wings

Edited by LMaxwell

(deleted part of post to save space) i dunno why the people most upset about changes don't realize its not 1st time people on NCL have taken food from buffet and enjoyed it elsewhere - its like a shock to their systems and sensibilities.....

LOL - we had a wonderful aft facing family suite on the Pride of America. Here is photo of one of the treats we picked up ourselves in the buffet and brought back to the balcony. How could you even order it the butler or room service ? Photo is my DH and my best friend. Rich is hiding and I obviously took the picture.

4e20fd49-194d-4f14-938a-7942942bb08c_zpsva5enyda.jpg

LOL - we had a wonderful aft facing family suite on the Pride of America. Here is photo of one of the treats we picked up ourselves in the buffet and brought back to the balcony. How could you even order it the butler or room service ? Photo is my DH and my best friend. Rich is hiding and I obviously took the picture.

4e20fd49-194d-4f14-938a-7942942bb08c_zpsva5enyda.jpg

And that is exactly why I love the buffet on NCL - So many tasty snack choices compare to the room service menu to bring back and enjoy elsewhere. Nice Picture!!

Personally, I always have breakfast in the buffet. I love the omelette

stations and all the food choices. I think the bottom line is that if you use room service everyday factor in the cost of that, as well as all other add ons (such as drinks, gratuities, etc) and then come up with a total cost for your trip and make sure you are comfortable with the total cost. For all the information on this forum there is no reason to not know what to expect.

Like just about everyone I would like everything to be cheaper and less fares, but unfortunately it is what it is. Bottom line is that market will determine what happens. If too many people get fed up with the changes and stop booking, NCL will be forced to make changes. If everyone just complains but still continues to book cruises on NCL, then it wasn't that big of a deal.

It's the principle...not the cost. Just another case of what WAS included, is now an extra charge. First came the "specialty" restaurant....all of those "special" foods used to be in the MDR....now, they charge extra.

I know the overall cost of cruising is still low, sort of, but it FELT more luxurious and inclusive in the past. People LIKE that feeling.

stations and all the food choices. I think the bottom line is that if you use room service everyday factor in the cost of that, as well as all other add ons (such as drinks, gratuities, etc) and then come up with a total cost for your trip and make sure you are comfortable with the total cost. For all the information on this forum there is no reason to not know what to expect.

Like just about everyone I would like everything to be cheaper and less fares, but unfortunately it is what it is. Bottom line is that market will determine what happens. If too many people get fed up with the changes and stop booking, NCL will be forced to make changes. If everyone just complains but still continues to book cruises on NCL, then it wasn't that big of a deal.

Hey, stop making sense over there- Now they're going be all in whirl because you told it like it is!!

(Yes, you're completely right and that was one of the arguments regarding the prices increases - if one is not canceling their reservations that months down the line and but still complaining about the increases; they're just blowing hot air.:cool:)

I would have agreed with you last week. However NCL took something they specifically was included in the fare: free room service between five am and midnight, and added a fee for two ships this week. One can not plan when doing business with a company that will advertise one thing, accept your money, and then not provide the service as advertised. This is different than a generic cost increase, it is the removal of an advertised benefit.

I think some of you are missing the point of the OP's original post, which I took to be quite tongue in cheek.

Airfare for the Escape transatlantic has increased by £100,152. Ouch! NCL iS digging deep for that extra revenue.

Probably because his trip home is via private jet :eek::D

Overall I agree that other lines will introduce the same fees once they are tested out and they work to raise revenue and cut food waste.

Personally, I always have breakfast in the buffet.

Well, what if you hate the buffet? We have breakfast in the MDR. But this is not about the buffet or the MDR and what is available.

This is about $7.95 for room service that was not $7.95 last week.

If people wish to moan so be it.

If people wish to travel to the buffet and load up with food and pack it back to their balcony, so be it.

Edited by legion3

A lot of people bought something thinking they knew what they were getting, only to have that not be the case.

I don't care either way about room service, but as a first time cruiser on NCL, it doesn't give me a positive impression of the cruiseline that they changed the offer after I made my final payment. $7.95 isn't going to break the bank, but it's $7.95 I thought I'd be getting inclusive with the agreed upon fare and fees at the time I booked.

I don't see it as moaning as much as making our opinion known to NCL. I'm a marketer for a major global brand and I know for a fact that if NCL is smart, they've got people reading CC.

After having laryngitis during my 2nd cruise (cured by the way of Martini tasting on the 2nd day - Thank you, Shaker's staff!!!) and observation on the 1st one, the cups used for room service and/or buffet were too tini tiny for my tastes - I better invest in a travel mug like other people I've noticed. This room service charge was just more of an 'push' for me to go and buy one before any new trips because 3-4 servings of those cups is about equal to 12 oz travel mug anyway - so I'm basic paying a $4.95 -7.95 service charge for 12oz drink, heck no I'm not paying that!!!

It all comes down to math and what one's time is worth - I don't want to be waiting 45 minutes like last couple of times for some tiny bit of hot water for tea when all I have to do is go to one of the buffets and make a giant mug of it there without making it too sweet. While I'm at it get my some sandwiches and/or snacks put it on a plate or bring myself a ziplock bag, then enjoy it in my room, on the Waterfront or wherever. i dunno why the people most upset about changes don't realize its not 1st time people on NCL have taken food from buffet and enjoyed it elsewhere - its like a shock to their systems and sensibilities.....

I rarely use room service onboard and am more inclined to go to the buffet and bring stuff back to the room. The reason that this gets to me is Del Rio's quote in that stupid interview that he gave. Maybe if I had not read that this wouldn't affect me so much (and in reality it doesn't really affect me all that much since it's the price I pay to get onboard that determines who I sail with). But his "how can I get $4 or $5 more a day from you and you wife" comment left a very very bitter taste in my mouth. So far the changes that they've made have not added value to the cruise but they have increased the cost onboard. Add it all up and it makes me feel used and it does not make me feel like a valued guest.

I rarely use room service onboard and am more inclined to go to the buffet and bring stuff back to the room. The reason that this gets to me is Del Rio's quote in that stupid interview that he gave. Maybe if I had not read that this wouldn't affect me so much (and in reality it doesn't really affect me all that much since it's the price I pay to get onboard that determines who I sail with). But his "how can I get $4 or $5 more a day from you and you wife" comment left a very very bitter taste in my mouth. So far the changes that they've made have not added value to the cruise but they have increased the cost onboard. Add it all up and it makes me feel used and it does not make me feel like a valued guest.

See in my case - I only have to be concern for myself because its me only and no second person or more to worry, pay for, argue nor compromise with. See, Del Rio was coldblooded in how he said it but the principle / thought behind it - 2 and more people are more likely to pay for nickel and dime ploys like the UDP or UBP for the convenience because at least one of the people likes the (extras) - is pretty spot on. If both or more are united in not buying any of the extras; then these fees will not affect you at all but that's not how people behavior typically on vacation - there's always someone in the pair or group that 'sprendthrift' or 'costly' buying something on the ship / vacation.

There's people here on the forum claiming they not going to buy anything because of these changes but can they say the same for their spouse, child(ren), friends, and other family members? Can they really say that someone they know will not buy a soda, earrings, cigar, orange juice, room service, etc in full complete confidence? Del Rio is hoping somebody in the pair / group slips up and do. Its pretty much all about psychology and how people spend...

Edited by maywell

See in my case - I only have to be concern for myself because its me only and no second person or more to worry, pay for, argue nor compromise with. See, Del Rio was coldblooded in how he said it but the principle / thought behind it - 2 and more people are more likely to pay for nickel and dime ploys like the UDP or UBP for the convenience because at least one of the people likes the (extras) - is pretty spot on. If both or more are united in not buying any of the extras; then these fees will not affect you at all but that's not how people behavior typically on vacation - there's always someone in the pair or group that 'sprendthrift' or 'costly' buying something on the ship / vacation.

There's people here on the forum claiming they not going to buy anything because of these changes but can they say the same for their spouse, child(ren), friends, and other family members? Can they really say that someone they know will not buy a soda, earrings, cigar, orange juice, room service, etc in full complete confidence? Del Rio is hoping somebody in the pair / group slips up and do. Its pretty much all about psychology and how people spend...

Yep, and in using this business model they are not adding value for the customer. But before they can try these tactics with me they have to get me onboard and right now their fare structure prevents that. Only time will tell if that changes. At the end of the day I still have a bad taste in my mouth about Del Rio and his approach and leaves me with the feeling that he can try to fleece some other sheep.

From the OP (can't "quote" the text for some reason): "My flight on escape transatlantic was £342.00 through NCL now it's £100,494.00"

Well, at least you can't be complaining about "nickel-and-diming" any more :rolleyes:

I guess NCL believes in that old maxim: Go Big or Go Home.

From the OP (can't "quote" the text for some reason): "My flight on escape transatlantic was £342.00 through NCL now it's £100,494.00"

Well, at least you can't be complaining about "nickel-and-diming" any more :rolleyes:

I guess NCL believes in that old maxim: Go Big or Go Home.

Well that is the price on the NCL UK website.

Have been trying for hours to upgrade my booking but I think due to phenomenal demand the lines are busy.

:eek:

I think that airfare increase must be one of NCL's many errors!

My problem with the room service charge is NCL bringing it in with no warning. I feel it's unethical that passengers book when the website says there is no delivery cost for room service during the day, then the goal posts are moved after people have paid.

Airlines can't suddenly add another tax on after you have bought your ticket. If the T's & C's state something is included, then it should remain that way.