How well does Princess handle gluten free?

lukydog

We have never sailed on Princess before and are considering doing so for an Alaskan cruise. My husband has Celiac Disease and has to eat gluten free. So how about it...anyone else out there required to eat gluten free....what was your experience on Princess? Thanks!

They are awesome.

I'm not Celiac, but sensitive. I do call prior to the cruise to have it noted, but you can tell the Maitre'D when you get on the ship. The first night you can ask for help to choose, but every day thereafter, you will pick all meals the day before, with the help of the MD.

I thought the bread was pretty good, the pasta only so-so. On one of our cruises, the wife of the MD made my desserts especially for me.

No worries. :)

Patti

:) I have Celiac Disease and have sailed Princess twice a year on longer cruises. Princess does an outstanding job of ensuring that my cruising experience does not suffer due to my dietary restrictions. Have your TA send your restrictions to Princess and introduce yourself to the MD when you board. The buffet and the International Cafe will even have gluten free deserts daily for everyone on display. You can relax and enjoy your cruise.

I was just on the Caribbean Princess and I am Celiac as well. Pizza was ok and they would make it right away for you. No 24 hours necessary. I had burgers without buns. Lunch was by far the most difficult meal. I did not go to the MDR for lunch, and probably should have. They were very accommodating in the MDR for dinner.

Mike & Marla, Check this web site out. 'justinpluslauren.com' is about their Vegan food selection. Princess may have a food selection for 'Gluten Free' menu. The food photos were wonderful.

I was surprised on our cruise when I was told by a head waiter that they made their cheesecake gluten free by "cutting off the crust" before serving. I was surprised as I know that can mean cross contamination.

Princess has some odd ideas. At the Crab Shack on the Grand the Green Jacketed person (is that the head waiter?) told mom it was OK to eat the unopened clam in her chowder. Needless to say everyone who can by the table heard about it, even the chef.

Preorder the night before. Many things, but not all, can be made GF. If you try to order something when you sit down, not much can be done. Hence the 'cutting off the crust' on the cheesecake.

I, too, am sensitive. I eat lunch at the Horizon Court most days. The trick is to speak to someone serving at the hot lines and say you need to know which items are gluten free. They will go get a supervisor?/chef? who will then walk with you by each item and say yea or nay. The Maitre d' on my first GF cruise told me to do this and it has worked on every ship I have been on since.

There are also GF muffins available. On some ships they are available at the IC but on the Crown in December they were only in the Horizon court. You have to ask for them, just like the GF bread.

I am Celiac with a severe dairy allergy and I've found that Princess is excellent with regard to GF and DF dining.. As other posters have noted, a head waiter will assist you throughout your cruise.. I have also found it to be helpful having the same waiters throughout the trip…We have had both Traditional and Anytime (same table/same waiters) on our cruises… They get to know the cooks and can be your first line of defense..;)

A few hints.. MDR GF pasta is not as good as the one from Sabitini's and you can request that one.. Don't be afraid to make special requests, even if it is not on the menu for the next day..if they can't do it, your head waiter will tell you..most times you will get what you ask for..

Desserts and baked goods can be amazing..rubbarb crumble, almond cake, etc.. they are becoming inventive in their use of rice flour and almond flour.just to name a few.. GF bread comes two ways..GF and GF and DF.. just have to ask..

I had amazing fried calamari for the first time in years.. made with rice flour!!

Fried Catfish was done with only corn flour/cornmeal and was excellent..

And lastly, never be afraid to question something you are served.. having someone check with the kitchen one more time can mean the next day of your cruise will be another great one!

I was completely blown away with the service and wonderful gluten free food! We usually ate in the dining room, and the waiter would go over the next day's menu with me - making suggestions or changes as needed. It was good to have the assigned dining, that made it very easy for me, and gave me peace of mind. I felt very well taken care of and can't wait for my next Princess cruise this summer!

We have never sailed on Princess before and are considering doing so for an Alaskan cruise. My husband has Celiac Disease and has to eat gluten free. So how about it...anyone else out there required to eat gluten free....what was your experience on Princess? Thanks!

They went out of their way to help my wife who is GF. A special server is assigned to visit each evening and make up the necessary menu.:) She was very pleased.

My DD has been quite pleased on both Caribbean and Emerald Princess sailings since her diet was restricted. Her situation is complicated even more by having to be dairy free as well...so they made a special sweet ending for her and her meals were specially prepared without the dairy or gluten.

Get with your head waiter on the first night and they will work with you even when you go to specialty dining.