Everyone's favorite topic...tablecloths

ETinCA

A table cloth doesn't matter to us one way or the other.

However during a 1.5 - 2 hour dinner service, a glass of iced beverage probably has a good amount of condensation (which the tablecloth would absorb) that I would imagine now tables w/o a tablecloth could get slippery where your glass sets and a rocking ship could cause the glass to slide and possibly spill.

Table cloths were part of the experience that made a cruise

different.

As well as a lot of other things that are gone.

Denny's still uses real glass instead of plastic.

That's their tradition.

Too bad CCL is giving up another tradition.

Edited by fireofficer5

When i was on the Glory when the new menu was introduced I really enjoyed the clean look without the tablecloths as well as the new table settings with the ice water. I did like the elegant nights when they used the table cloths as the elegant nights had more impact including the free mamosa when seated. To each their own i guess.

I don't know if I prefer tablecloths or not; won't know until my October Carnival cruise. Other than condensation, I don't think it will matter much.

What I can't understand is the time and effort given criticizing those who prefer tablecloths. There's a tide of opinions of how it is not a big deal and many prefer not having tablecloths.

So why is it a problem if some prefer them?

It seems like most people who are complaining about the tables not having tablecloths haven't been on a ship without tablecloths yet. You should see what it's like before you criticize it.

While I have not experienced it at all (in the MDR) on any cruises we have taken, I can say that we have gone to the Steakhouse on the Breeze (tablecloth-less) and it was just fine (in fact, elegant comes to mind). Not tacky at all and unlike any truck stop I have been to (or Walmart, in case that comes up next).

A lot less people in that venue and few kids.

A lot less people in that venue and few kids.

Both are true, I was referring to their aesthetic appeal, not the potential for noise. Obviously you were not on the sailing with all my family and my 11 grandkids to see how much noise they made in the MDR....