First Timer & Honeymooner-Celebrity Reflection Eastern Mediterranean Cruise

defscott627

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this board since we booked our honeymoon months ago. We are coming closer to our sailing, and we are getting very excited. My wife and I are 28 years old and we wanted to visit a bunch of European cities for our honeymoon and thought a cruise would be the best way to go about it.

We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection on the 10 night cruise, leaving on July 31st. I would love to hear people's advice about this particular ship, the restaurants, shore excursions, any events on board, etc.

In particular, we had the following questions (sorry if it's overwhelming), but we have been reading different things on different forums and different websites and knew you all would be the best people to ask!

---What time does Celebrity reflection offer dinner in the main dining room? Our travel agent booked us at 8:45PM but one website said the later dinner is at 8:30PM - has that changed? Would you recommend earlier or later dinner?

---In the main dining room, is there anyway for us to request a table for two? Not that we are anti-social, but as we are on our honeymoon, we would prefer to dine alone. Is this an option or are all tables for larger parties?

---I also saw that there is an Oceanview buffet option - I'm assuming this is not an extra cost? Is this open during all meal times (breakfast, lunch, dinner)? And is this something that has to be reserved or can it be visited at any time?

---Do we need any types of reservations for lunch or for breakfast?

---I know there are a few specialty dining restaurants on the Celebrity Reflection - does anyone recommend any that they feel were worth trying?

---How do I find the schedule of when the formal nights are on the cruise? I think there are two from the research I did - are they on specific dates? And do these formal nights happen everywhere on the cruise or are they only in the main dining room?

---Do we have to reserve/book the entertainment on the cruise? I went on the website but it's not really clear, and it only gives me the option of booking the for-fee restaurants, shore excursions, and spa.

---Are there any shore excursions on our Mediterranean cruise that people have been on and recommend?

----My wife read that Reflection has classes in the ArtStudio - painting classes, jewelry making classes - I know they're extra $$, but are these things we book on the cruise or do we book them in advance if we are interested?

---Is there anything else that you think we should know as first timers and honeymooners on the boat?

Thank you so much! I know there are a lot of questions, but I am hoping to get great information from everyone and hopefully pay it forward to others as well :D

Thank you!

Erik

Haven't been in Refkection yet but will answere some of your questions.

Fixed dining is normally at 6 (early seating) and 8:30 (late seating). When in Europe they often change the late seating time to 8:45. Which is better is personal preference. We prefer late as it gives us time to return from port and relax before getting ready for dinner.

The Oceanview cafe serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, sushi around 5, pizza & pasta till about 1 am. No reservations needed.

No reservations are needed for the shows either. The daily paper will be in your cabin every evening with the next day's activities and entertainment. Classes such as jewelry making, painting don't normally require signing up ahead of time but I would recommend getting there early as they sometimes fill up.

Don't miss the Martini bar & the Sunset bar at sail away is a great spot.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

I would go to your library and get some cruise and European cruise port books out. Frommers, Fodors, Berlitz and more. Reflection in my opinion, best ship value out there. Beautiful decor, great food,big enough for all the ammenities but not a mega cattle ship like other new ships.Look on his web site for photos, probably under Photo Gallery.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this board since we booked our honeymoon months ago. We are coming closer to our sailing, and we are getting very excited. My wife and I are 28 years old and we wanted to visit a bunch of European cities for our honeymoon and thought a cruise would be the best way to go about it.

Congratulations on the wedding, and may your honeymoon be as good as you hope. X will make it memorable. (For us it's 31 years next month.)

Hi everyone,

We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection on the 10 night cruise, leaving on July 31st. I would love to hear people's advice about this particular ship, the restaurants, shore excursions, any events on board, etc.

In particular, we had the following questions (sorry if it's overwhelming), but we have been reading different things on different forums and different websites and knew you all would be the best people to ask!

---What time does Celebrity reflection offer dinner in the main dining room?

There are multiple Dinner seating times. Usually those are either 6:00 PM or 8:30 PM. You also have the option of "Select" where you show up whenever you want (which means that you may have to wait a bit for a table.) Select requires you to pre-pay gratuities.

Hi everyone,

Our travel agent booked us at 8:45PM but one website said the later dinner is at 8:30PM - has that changed? Would you recommend earlier or later dinner?

We're old. Early dinner is better. :)

There's a nightly show, that repeats. Again, usually at 7 PM and 9 PM (not always at those times, but..) If you're going to go to a late dinner, you need to go to the early show.

Hi everyone,

---In the main dining room, is there anyway for us to request a table for two? Not that we are anti-social, but as we are on our honeymoon, we would prefer to dine alone. Is this an option or are all tables for larger parties?

Talk to the Maitre' D. on the first night of the cruise. They'll be happy to accommodate you.

Hi everyone,

---I also saw that there is an Oceanview buffet option - I'm assuming this is not an extra cost? Is this open during all meal times (breakfast, lunch, dinner)? And is this something that has to be reserved or can it be visited at any time?

That's open at all times, no extra cost. Usually the food in the main dining room is much better, however. (Except for the nightly sushi in Oceanview...)

Hi everyone,

No, breakfast in Oceanview and MDR is wide open. Hours published in the daily newsletter.

Hi everyone,

---I know there are a few specialty dining restaurants on the Celebrity Reflection - does anyone recommend any that they feel were worth trying?

Consider Qsine. Lots of fun. :)

Hi everyone,

---How do I find the schedule of when the formal nights are on the cruise? I think there are two from the research I did - are they on specific dates? And do these formal nights happen everywhere on the cruise or are they only in the main dining room?

There's two formal nights per week; to be honest, I'm not sure if they're the same nights or not.

Hi everyone,

---Do we have to reserve/book the entertainment on the cruise? I went on the website but it's not really clear, and it only gives me the option of booking the for-fee restaurants, shore excursions, and spa.

---Are there any shore excursions on our Mediterranean cruise that people have been on and recommend?

----My wife read that Reflection has classes in the ArtStudio - painting classes, jewelry making classes - I know they're extra $$, but are these things we book on the cruise or do we book them in advance if we are interested?

---Is there anything else that you think we should know as first timers and honeymooners on the boat?

You've got answers already for those. Relax and enjoy, X will make sure it's everything you hope for!

Each night you will receive in your cabin a newsletter that has the details about the next day. Times the buffet or dining rooms are available, times of the activities, entertainment option, basically every time you need to know.

Since you have a set time to eat, you may be assigned to a table with others. If I were you I would try it, often you meet nice people from other countries, different walks of life. We.ve had honeymooners at our table before, they enjoyed unwinding after the hectic wedding by talking over nice long dinners. After all you still have the entire rest of the day together ;)

Don't stress, a cruise is a very easy way to travel and vacation.

Hello - congratulations on your upcoming marriage. You will love the Reflection for your honeymoon. We just got off the ship a couple of weeks ago.

Regarding your dining time, for us, we ate dinner at 8:30 every night and only made 2 shows. With a port intensive cruise, I would probably suggest doing select dining. This will give you the flexibility to eat when you want and if there is show you want to see, you can schedule around it. They will definitely accommodate your request for a table for two.

The specialty restaurants Murano, Lawn Club and Quisine were all excellent. Tuscan Grill, which on previous cruises was our favorite, was not good on Reflection. Maybe it was an off night, but we were very disappointed.

For your excursions, join your roll call. When we did the Med, we got lots of good ideas from our fellow travelers.

Have a great cruise!

I would put your request for a table for 2 in now. Do not wait until you board. If you booked through a TA, have them do it - otherwise you can call celebrity.

My wife and I have done this many times.

Congratulations on your wedding.

Mike

Hi everyone,

---What time does Celebrity reflection offer dinner in the main dining room? Our travel agent booked us at 8:45PM but one website said the later dinner is at 8:30PM - has that changed? Would you recommend earlier or later dinner?

Thank you so much! I know there are a lot of questions, but I am hoping to get great information from everyone and hopefully pay it forward to others as well :D

Thank you!

Erik

Hi Erik,

Congratulations on your up coming honeymoon! We were on the Reflection to the Caribbean a few weeks ago, it was our second time and in fact we are booked on her for the Mediterranean in the fall.

Later seating is usually better, for younger people( although my DH & I prefer it as well) s others said it gives you time to shower and or relax after sightseeing. In the Caribbean late seating was 8:30pm but on my itinerary for the fall it shows 8:45 as well.

We also preferred a table for two, have your travel agent specify and then verify with the Matra D once onboard. There is no charge for the ocean view buffet and it was a good alternative when you want to eat at other times or not get as dressed.

They offer dining packages for more than one specialty restaurant and if the budget allows I would try it, I highly recommend Qsine, wonderful fun presentations and the food was great.

I would recommend bringing a highlighter pen and every night when they have turn down service, your stateroom attendant will leave the today a daily, hour by hour itinerary of,what is bening offered each day and night, I always highlight what we would like to do the next day, ie classes, shows, special activities etc.

Another FYI is that room service is free other than middle of the night ( the dailies will give specific times) we found it fun to have room service for breakfast as it saves time and made for a more relaxed morning when you want to be out early for touring.

I think I answered your questions but feel free to ask anything if you have more.

Wendy

Wendy, we've never been charged for room service late at night. That's something Royal Caribbean has done, but we've not seen that on Celebrity.

OP, congrats on your wedding.

If I were you, I would choose Select Dining, where you can have dinner anytime you want during regular hours. That would also offer more tables for two.

Med cruises are really port intensive, so doing arts and craft classes might not be offered as much, if at all.

The most romantic specialty restaurant on board will be Murano. Personally, we don't like Qsine as we find it loud, with lots of kids, and the food not very good. Yes, they present the food in unusual ways, but we found very few items that were worth the extra cost.

We prefer to eat alone and book select dining which has more 2 person tables and lets you eat at anytime. You have to prepay gratuities with select. You may not get the same table each night but you can request to be seated with the same servers.

Go to the Europe port section and there will be lots of information about the area and private excursions or diy. Also sign up for your roll call and you may be able to join others that are looking to share excursions to lower the cost. Rick Steve's Mediterranean port guide is a good book with useful info.

Congrats, and I believe the best book for researching your ports is Rick Steves Med cruising guide.

I would stick with dining later, as you'll be off the ship all day seeing fabulous ports and will want time to come back, shower, relax and maybe have a cocktail before dinner. But have your travel agent request your table for two now!

You do know that you can bring two bottles of wine on board to enjoy in your stateroom with no corkage fee, right?

There are free. Urges and fries at the Mast Grill by the pool every day, and healthier options at the Aqua Spa Cafe in the Solarium, although a few items have an extra charge.

For a party of two, I would not recommend Qsine, it's a lot more fun with a group. But you may want to check for discounts at Murano which is a very elegant and romantic restaurant. Or steaks and Italian food at Tuscan Grill at Sunset with a great view off the stern.

Keep asking questions!

Congratulations on your wedding! We did the 10 day Med cruise on Reflection last summer, and it was breathtaking. Certainly join your roll call, you may well be able to join with small groups on private tours. Barring that, I'll just make a couple of suggestions re: what worked for us:

1) In Sicily, we took a private tour into the countryside with a small group from our roll call, I believe we used a company called Tours with Mario (or very similar.) This was actually a highlight of the trip for us --- we had a guided tour of the city including the lovely Cathedral with its noontime performance (you'll see what I mean if you go), then up a nearby mountain to a small village for lunch and some of the most beautiful views you will ever see.

2) In Athens, if you don't get in on a private tour, book a ship's tour that includes the Acropolis and some time in Plaka, an historic area with shopping/restaurants/sightseeing in the shadow of the Acropolis.

3) In Kusadasi, Ephesus is the main attraction and well worth the trip. However, you're better off with a private tour here (even if it's just you two) because the larger ship's tours don't usually go into the Terrace Houses. Hello Ephesus is a good tour company here.

4) In Rhodes, you don't need a tour, the lovely old walled city is just a short walk from the ship and is well worth exploring on your own schedule.

5) In Santorini, consider a ship's tour that includes Oia. This is because non-tour passengers have to make their way from the tender dock up the steep hill to the town and then to Oia from there --- this is either by cable car, donkey, or a very long walk. It can take forever in line if there are several ships in port (9000 cruise ship passengers on our day!.) A ship's tour will bypass the lines. Oia has the fantastic views you see in all the Greek island brochures.

6) In Mykonos, there is a lovely fishing village with lots of seaside restaurants and shopping. We tendered and it was right at the tender dock, but I believe it is not too far from the regular ship dock. However, we elected to buy a day pass to St John's Resort and we had a wonderful day --- spectacular views, lunch and breakfast, use of pool and beach, and transportation were all included. I don't remember the cost but we loved it after all the touring we had done.

7) In Naples, Pompeii is a must-see and a guided tour is a big help. Some tours also include the Amalfi Coast, but it does make a very full day on the last day of your cruise.

Those are just some ideas to get you started. Good luck with your planning! I also recommend Rick Steves' guide, lots of useful info, but (just my personal opinion) it can be overwhelming to try and do each port totally on your own.

Edited by cynbar

Hello and congratulations. My wife and I sailed on the Reflections 11 day eastern Mediterranean this past summer, and although it was not our Honeymoon we are the same ages as you two. Since most of the other questions are answered here is what we did for excursions with the hope if gives you some ideas.

We stayed a few extra days before the cruise in Rome and simply walked around day and night. It's a safe city and all of the sights are in walking distance. The one day I pre-bought tickets to the Colleseum which saved a lot of time. After the cruise we did the ships St. Peter's excursion.

Santorini was a highlight we did a hike from Fira to Oia. You can find info on this on trip advisor as the #1 thing to do, and it's free. I had a dinner reservation in Oia to watch the sunset and we took a cab back to the ship. Just google search this hike, lots of information. The views and photos are amazing, just bring lots of water.

Istanbul we were here two days. The first we had a small group excursion booked through Istanbul walks and it was excellent. At night we got off the ships with some friends we met and went to a Hooka bar not far from port.

Ephesus we organized another small group tour via the cruise critic roll call and went to the ruins. This is a must, however you can also book through the cruise ship.

Mykonos is a beach and shopping day. We took a taxi to one of the many beaches. They have both party beaches and quiet ones. You can also rent a scooter or quad for the day to get around.

Athens: we booked the ship excursion to visit the Acropolis and Acropolis museum.

Naples we booked with a group on cruise critic and visited Pompeii in the morning and did a drive down the Amalfi coast the rest of the day.

I suggest to look on Celebrity's website and read the FAQ section. it will answer many of your questions and also has some good info.

Have your TA put in a request for Select dining. It allows you to dine anytime during MDR hours and you have your choice every night if you want a table for 2 or share.

If it is available and within your budget look at the AQ category. There are many perks involved and one of the main ones is being able to dine in Blu for breakfast and dinner. It is a little more intimate and is mostly for couples dining alone with the freedom of dining when you want during their hours.

happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I see lots of recommendations to use ships tours for your ports, but with a few exceptions, it is really not necessary. Ship tours tend to be overcrowded, expensive, and most aggravating, move at the pace of the slowest member.

For instance, it is very easy to take the tram from the port into Athens and tour the Acropolis, Plaka, etc on your own. Costs just a few euro, and you can go at your own pace. The same for Istnbul: the tram stops right in front of the ship and takes you to the Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, etc. We chuckled as we sailed right last past all the big tour buses stuck in heavy traffic!

I would definitely arrange a private tour (with roll call members) to Ephesus; we had our driver take us to a local restaurant where we enjoyed a great lunch.

The only ship tour I would take would be in Santorini, since it makes it so much easier to get off the ship at an early hour.

In Naples, you have several choices. You can EASILY take the train to either Herculaneum or Pompeii, and then continue on to Sorrento for lunch and shopping; we took the hydrofoil back to the ship which was fun. Or you can take the hydrofoil to Capri for a wonderful day. The hydrofoil dock is right next to the ship dock. OR you can do a group tour that includes Pompeii and an Amalfi Coast drive, also a really fun day.

We truly believe that we have more fun, see more, plus save a ton of money by doing it on our own. I just don't think seeing sites from the windows of a giant bus is the way people should visit foreign sites. We like to walk, take trains, buses and metros, sit in cafes, talk with locals, etc. Plus, planning our excursions is fun in itself and gets us excited for what we are going to see.

I stay away if all possible from ship sponsored tours..More $$$ and more people on it! Find your roll call and join a private tour or start ur own. Owners of the tour companies know you have to be back by a certain time and they know its bad for business if they don't! You will spend less $$, less people on the tour and get a much better tour. Find out a lot of info on your Roll Call, as well in the ports forum here on cruise critic.