Watches For Sale

Looking for tips on the whole watch buying experince. Cruising Liberty of the Seas this summer. Wondering what brands (and models?) are sold on board. Is there better days or sales to buy. It is a 9 day out of Bayonne so we have a few ports. Is it better to buy on board so you do not get a knock off?

I do know it is important to do your research so you know a sale is really a sale. Looking forward to any advice anyone can give.

Looking for tips on the whole watch buying experince. Cruising Liberty of the Seas this summer. Wondering what brands (and models?) are sold on board. Is there better days or sales to buy. It is a 9 day out of Bayonne so we have a few ports. Is it better to buy on board so you do not get a knock off?

I do know it is important to do your research so you know a sale is really a sale. Looking forward to any advice anyone can give.

i don't think you get any great bargains onboard. Got good deals in St. Thomas, St Martin and sometimes Grand Cayman,

You stated the most important point. Know exactly what you want and do research. Whether ship prices for watches are good on the may vary by watch brand. My wife was attracted to a Fossil watch on the ship, and we found it on Amazon for significantly less.

I would totally agree with the "research first". I typically buy my high end watches in a port (at stores who have representation in the US); but lately have even found that this isn't the best deal -- online sites such as Amazon, etc. have a better price and free shipping.

With that said, there is something fun about buying on vacation, so if it's just a little more, I might buy in port just to get something in port -- it's part of the experience to me. BUT, I always do my research first; unless it's something that's just $50 bucks, what the heck, I just buy then.

Sometimes even when I do my research the Diamonds International store has a model that I didn't research prior to sailing. A lot of times these stores have free internet. Figure out what you like when you are at the store in port (if you didn't do it ahead of time); hop on their free internet and check the price online and then determine.

Is it better to buy on board so you do not get a knock off?

You'll tend to see the same shops at every port. Those would be more trustworthy than the smaller shops. Sometimes there are tax advantages to buying in one country versus another, so do some checking ahead and also research at the ports of call forums here on CC.

Just remember, if seems to good to be true, it probably is.

What I have found is that the lower end watch brands like the Citizen, Seiko etc, you'll find at 20-40% savings. The higher end brands like a Tissot, Omega, Breitling, Tags or Rolex the savings are much less, more like maybe 10-15%. (If the price looks like it's too good a deal, run away.) You will also save the tax that you would have paid on the mainland. Technically the best prices should be in St Maarten as they pay a lower tax/duty than in St Thomas (I believe about 2-3% less) which is passed on to the buyer.

You stated the most important point. Know exactly what you want and do research. Whether ship prices for watches are good on the may vary by watch brand. My wife was attracted to a Fossil watch on the ship, and we found it on Amazon for significantly less.

My DH loves Invicta watches. They are also cheaper on Amazon than on the ship and in most of the ports. Just FYI :)

My DH just shopped about 2 weeks ago for a RADO watch in Grand Cayman. Only a couple of places sold them and the prices were not reduced. We were able to purchase the same watch he found in Grand Cayman for about $150 less at Macy's when we returned home.

Go to an AD for whatever watch you are looking for. I have made good deals in St. Maarten, grand cayman and St. Thomas. Have purchased several rolex, AP and Panerai in SM. Goldfinger is the AD in SM. If you can't get $ off the watch negotiate a second piece in the deal. Works every time.

I bought a citizen Eco-Drive Divers watch for a good deal on my last cruise but I did my homework. It was a good 50-70 cheaper on the ship compared to Amazon at the time. also didn't have to pay sales tax, which saved another 18 bucks or so. but again - do your homework.

We really like Citizen eco-drive, never needs battery, most ships have a nice selection, my wife bought hers on a ship.

We like the Citizen eco-drive watches too. We bought ours in St. Thomas across the street right near the ship. Like others have said do your homework at home and look at what you like and the prices. Have some fun in the ports shopping. I don't always stay with the ship recommended shops. You can find most of the same watches in most shops.

My favourite subject watches have brought many over the years on board and ashore in the islands have a small collections of citizens, when we first started to cruise in 2002 we were introduced to a shop owner at one of RCI recommended stores have had some great buys from their.

Also remember if you buy a watch on board the find it ashore cheaper get the shop to write down the price saying that you want to think about it then take it to the staff on board and you should get a refund for the difference.

St Maarten would be my recommendation or San Juan like others have said you need to do your homework on what you want, Buying in the Islands make sense to me prices over here in the UK watches prices in pounds are about the same as in dollars in the USA.

I got a pretty good deal on a Citizen watch. Less than on Amazon anyway. Do your research. Know which watch you want to buy, and how much it costs at home. That way, you can do a fair comparison.

I am a watch person.....Love watches and I have bought watches on the ship and in ports. before cruises I go to stores and go online and seek watches I like and then look for them while on the cruise. I actually take pictures in the stores or print form the internet the ones that I like along with prices. The watches they sale on the ship are pretty much the same brands on any ship you go on so they are pretty easy to research. As for Invicta watches, I bought one on Freedom and it was a good deal at the time. Be careful however with Invicta watches as they are usually offering up to 75% off on those and the price looks good, but you can usually find invicta watches cheaper online and there is also a shopping network on cable and satellite that just sells Invicta watches for extremely good prices! :cool:

What are the main watch brands they sell onboard nowadays?

I seem to recall those previously mentioned; Invicta, Fossil, Citizen, etc. Do they ever carry Hamilton or Seiko? I am a man of simple tastes and $1-200 watches (minus a few unique items I received as gifts).

Guest maddycat

Another thing to consider is the warranty. Make sure that whatever watch you are interested in buying has a US warranty.

Sounding like buying in Port is as good or better than the ship. Our ports are Kings Warf, Bermuda; Phillipsburg, St Maarten; San Juan, Puerto Rico. Any recommendations?

Ray's Jewelry right behind the Blue Bitch Bar on the beach in St. Maarten. You can take the water taxi over there. Ask for Jay and tell him Frank and Edna sent you :D Then you can have lunch at the Blue Bitch Bar and watch our favorite Reggae out front :p