Sea Sickness

Family4Cruisin

I find it at CVS, Walgreens or target. Its ingredients are glucose(sugar),dextrose (sugar)and sodium citrate dehydrate (an antacid). Adult dose is 2-4 tablets, I only take one or two at most, kids were fine with one tablet. there's nothing strong in it that will affect them unless they are diabetic. It's a sweet anti nausea, antacid. It's really for upset stomachs, but I find it works miracles for motion sickness. There's no strong meds in it, of course ask your Dr. about it, if you have any reservations. Hubby and I are dentists, the sugar in it makes me cringe, but it works. Just brush teeth before bed!

Thanks for the info. Have you tried the one for motion?

Screenshot_2015-05-04-20-39-47.jpg.e3c7c6c68b670974c2977985f36f58a2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just got back from our first cruise! It was on Enchantment of the Seas. My husband has pretty bad motion sickness so we were quite worried. I am happy to report that he had absolutely no sea sickness at all! He wore the sea bands the whole time and had no issues. Our first night was slightly rough water and all of us could feel the ship moving but he never got sick.

We are going on our 2nd cruise next month on the Getaway. Our 1st cruise was on the Sky a few years ago. I suffered with being sea sick 2 out of the 4 days despite using Motioneaze and prescription Meclizine. I am thinking of using the Scopolamine patch and trying the Sea Bands for this cruise. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on what anyone has found that works for them to prevent sea sickness.

Start any treatment early, before you embark.

DW swears by a green apple every morning and

Ginger

Ginger pieces

Ginger tablets

Ginger tea.

We are going on our 2nd cruise next month on the Getaway. Our 1st cruise was on the Sky a few years ago. I suffered with being sea sick 2 out of the 4 days despite using Motioneaze and prescription Meclizine. I am thinking of using the Scopolamine patch and trying the Sea Bands for this cruise. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on what anyone has found that works for them to prevent sea sickness.

Sea Bands can actually cause seasickness. Prescriptions, not good for the body. Green apple maybe twice a day and ginger capsules, not pills :)

While I realize many folks are very motion sensitive, I have met many (my self included) when the motion problem is self inflicted. If I start thinking about it, I hit the Dramamine right away. Never happens when I don't start the thinking. The human mind can be very powerful in many ways, including making yourself sick.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Harry

The bottom line is to NOT wait until you are on the ship to take oral meds...start 1 to 2 days before boarding....the patch too! You need time for chemical adjustment.

See that you are well hydrated days before cruise and continue throughout cruise. Alcohol overuse could be a problem if tend to partake in excess.

MOST IMPORTANT: convince yourself you will not get motion sickness :o

I cannot use the scopolamine patches. They give me halucinations. That isn't common, but common enough that my doctor cautioned me to try them when I was safely at home.

I swear by the sea bands. They work incredibly well. I put them on in the morning before we embark and leave them on unless I'll be on dry land for several hours. Interestingly enough, I know I have them in the right place when I feel nausea while I'm standing on dry land. Once on the boat, it all evens out and goes away.

I still carry the non-drowsy dramamine, just in case the bands don't work. I've never needed to use it, I just don't want to be without it.

Trader Joe's carries candied ginger with it's other bulk snacks. I've found it in with candy stuff at other stores. It by itself doesn't get rid of the motion sickness for me, but it's nice to calm the last little bit of the queasy feelings.

Dudette uses SeaBands....who am I to question. I know others who do well with ginger capsules but no one should take any medication without consulting their health care provider. No one on Cruise Condition knows your health condition.

We use the triple treatment option when it comes to nausea: dimenhydrinate, scopolamine and Sea Bands.

It is important to check with your doctor or pharmacist before trying the first two medications because they can interact with other medications or medical conditions.

If you have glaucoma, urinary retention, myasthenia gravis, extrapyramidal symptoms, dementia, intestinal obstruction or an existing heart condition, you shouldn’t take dimenhydrinate or scopolamine.

You shouldn’t take dimenhydrinate and scopolamine at the same time. We usually try the dimenhydrinate first and if it doesn’t work then stop it and go to scopolamine to manage your nausea.

If you experience nausea while cruising you should start one of the medications at least 1day before boarding the ship to get the full benefit.

Happy cruising!

My husband gets VERY seasick & motion sickness. We have found the cure for him!! Ginger capsules (2) taken approx 30-60 minutes BEFORE we set sail & then 2 approx every 3-4 hrs. Keeps it in the nightstand drawer next to him & will take it if he wakes up from the motion. Worked for him from the very first time we tried it & we won't leave home w/o it. No side effects, no drowsiness, nothing except feeling normal! Good luck!

Bonine for me! I start taking it three nights before getting on the ship and continue throughout the cruise -- two tablets every night before bed. And, as an extra bonus, it helps to get a good night's sleep too. Never had any issues with drinking alcohol while on it either. No prescription necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not prone to motion sickness but I did get sick on my first cruise. Now, I use Bonine and QueasyBeads. They're like Seabands but they're pretty and not as "in your face" about it. I felt a little self conscious with the seabands because they're so obvious. Everyone knows you're seasick. These just look like bracelets.

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered some.

I am prone to motion sickness so I got a prescription from the doctor for Transderm Scop and applied one before I got on the ship and I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was so nauseous I couldn't stand it. Finally, I realized it was the patch not the ship that was making me sick. I took the patch off and was perfectly fine with nothing for the remainder of the trip.

Wow, thank you for Queazy beads. They are pretty. I am going to order a set. My seabands are so drab looking, for sure. Time to retire those. Think you for telling us about them. I am headed out on my first ever cruise in a month. I do get car sick so I want to be prepared with the sea...

Edited by Mollyolly
missed a word

It sounds like Bonine is good to take before the cruise begins. I just bought Dramamine Naturals non-Drowsy. I wonder if these will work. I also just ordered the Queasybeads bracelet seabands. Any thoughts on not getting seasick after paying all that money for a cruise? :(