Adventure Southern Caribbean Adventure April 19, 2015

Walking the Paseo Princessa and on further down the Paseo ElMorro is something we do every time we are in OSJ! Now you can access El Morro Fort from the Paseo on days when admittance to the fort is free. There are future plans to allow admittance every day (maybe a welcome desk at that entrance too) from the Paseo and there will be more access trails from the Paseo onto the grounds surrounding El Morro! We are so excited about this change. It is a long walk to the end of Paseo El Morro and then the only thing you could do previously is turn around and backtrack! I am sure it will be years before this is all put in place, but what a great, scenic way to get up to El Morro from the cruise ship docks!

Thanks for the great review! Looking forward to sailing with you. We wanted to do a B2B from OSJ but RCI seems to be omitting the ABC island routes in 2017! Maybe even 2016 if I remember correctly! Hopefully this cruise takes you there, they are my favorite Caribbean islands!

Have a great cruise!

Lauri

Just read about your generous donation in St Lucia! What a great thing for you and your family to do! Our family did this on one of our first cruises to Jamaica and to this day, my kids still talk about the experience. The children rushed out when we arrived, took each one of us by the hand and gave us a tour of their hillside school and were so proud to show us their meager belongings! They sang songs to us and gave us in return way more than we spent on their school supplies! Enjoy!

Edited by lah66

We ran a Pack For A Purpose drive in our hometown, and one of our bags holds supplies to leave in St Lucia with a preschool there- flash cards, kiddie sicissors, crayons, pencils; all things that are cheaply bought in the US but can be very expensive to ship to the islands. The Pack For a Purpose website has wish lists for several of the destinations on this cruise, and we chose St Lucia since we have a private guide and can arrange delivery (the Sandals Foundation manages the PFP program in St Lucia) while on our tour! We will (of course!) take lots of photos and share them here and on our blog. We've read about other cruise critic members doing this, but this is our first time. We haven't had to pay for the extra checked bags because my hubby has generously been working in Detroit a week a month to make it all possible with his status on American Airlines. Other than the extra baggage (which we generally avoid) so far it's been really fun to do...more on that on Day 4.

Please tell me more about Pack for a Purpose. So wonderful that you chose St. Lucia. It is such a poor country, on the verge of bankruptcy since the last hurricane which destroyed their main export, bananas. The people are friendly and welcoming and the country is one of the safest around. I spent a week there last November and Westjet Airline let me take a whole suitcase of school supplies for free as humanitarian aid. There was an infant school (K-gr.2) in Canaries that was flooded and lifted off its foundation the previous Dec. 31st and it had still not been fixed when I went in Nov. The kids were being schooled in an unused church in the middle of town with no playground and no school supplies to speak of. A local grade 2 here provided most of the supplies I took. The govt said they had no money to fix it but mysteriously came up with the money when the cries and protests got loud enough. I would like to take more supplies though but this time I'm flying United to San Juan. How can I take things?

Lauri

Just read about your generous donation in St Lucia! What a great thing for you and your family to do! Our family did this on one of our first cruises to Jamaica and to this day, my kids still talk about the experience. The children rushed out when we arrived, took each one of us by the hand and gave us a tour of their hillside school and were so proud to show us their meager belongings! They sang songs to us and gave us in return way more than we spent on their school supplies! Enjoy!

The visit to the school in St. Lucia to deliver the supplies I brought was an experience I will never forget. I'm a retired teacher and to see the few things the teachers had to work with was heart-breaking. They had blackboard dividers to separate the classes, kindergarten with no books nor puzzles, very little paper, no workbooks, and one laptop for about 7 teachers to share. But the happiest kids I have ever seen and so much better behaved than kids here (ie. no running to teacher every few minutes during recess to tattle; recess being inside as the school door opened directly onto the street. I am planning a day trip to the area when we get to St. Lucia and would love to bring more supplies.

Walking the Paseo Princessa and on further down the Paseo ElMorro is something we do every time we are in OSJ! Now you can access El Morro Fort from the Paseo on days when admittance to the fort is free. There are future plans to allow admittance every day (maybe a welcome desk at that entrance too) from the Paseo and there will be more access trails from the Paseo onto the grounds surrounding El Morro! We are so excited about this change. It is a long walk to the end of Paseo El Morro and then the only thing you could do previously is turn around and backtrack! I am sure it will be years before this is all put in place, but what a great, scenic way to get up to El Morro from the cruise ship docks!

Thanks for the great review! Looking forward to sailing with you. We wanted to do a B2B from OSJ but RCI seems to be omitting the ABC island routes in 2017! Maybe even 2016 if I remember correctly! Hopefully this cruise takes you there, they are my favorite Caribbean islands!

Have a great cruise!

Lauri

Please tell me more about Pack for a Purpose. So wonderful that you chose St. Lucia. It is such a poor country, on the verge of bankruptcy since the last hurricane which destroyed their main export, bananas. The people are friendly and welcoming and the country is one of the safest around. I spent a week there last November and Westjet Airline let me take a whole suitcase of school supplies for free as humanitarian aid. There was an infant school (K-gr.2) in Canaries that was flooded and lifted off its foundation the previous Dec. 31st and it had still not been fixed when I went in Nov. The kids were being schooled in an unused church in the middle of town with no playground and no school supplies to speak of. A local grade 2 here provided most of the supplies I took. The govt said they had no money to fix it but mysteriously came up with the money when the cries and protests got loud enough. I would like to take more supplies though but this time I'm flying United to San Juan. How can I take things?

When I get back ill post a link- they make it very easy, and I've heard that the airlines are generous about waiving fees. People like yourselves have inspired me! I've often commented that we are all so lucky to travel and while these places look "rich" with fancy resorts, the reality is people are struggling!

Glad cruisers can help in many ways!

We are on board! We left the hotel room att 10:45- half of us did! I headed down on a pretty full elevator, while my family followed on the next one. Unfortunately the bellman forgot to push the button for the lobby, so I rode back up, they had already left and on the next trip down we stopped at every floor, all the while I knew they were in the lobby frantically wondering where I was ! Finally made it down after stopping . At. Every. Floor!

Johnny taxi took us to the port by 11:05, we dropped bags at and were through security by 11:20. We checked in and sat in chairs till 12, when the magic door to oz opened and we were admitted to the Emerald City- oops wrong story! The metal roll up security door was raised, and all of us in chairs politely filed in and up the escalator to the gang way! After a brief delay when some ones sea pass card "wonked" instead of "bonged" - we were on board!

Up to the solRium for lunch, and set up our on board internet account, we are relaxing in the Solarium until cabins are ready at 2! Internet is working well- but photos on twitter are easier!

We are on board! We left the hotel room att 10:45- half of us did! I headed down on a pretty full elevator, while my family followed on the next one. Unfortunately the bellman forgot to push the button for the lobby, so I rode back up, they had already left and on the next trip down we stopped at every floor, all the while I knew they were in the lobby frantically wondering where I was ! Finally made it down after stopping . At. Every. Floor!

Johnny taxi took us to the port by 11:05, we dropped bags at and were through security by 11:20. We checked in and sat in chairs till 12, when the magic door to oz opened and we were admitted to the Emerald City- oops wrong story! The metal roll up security door was raised, and all of us in chairs politely filed in and up the escalator to the gang way! After a brief delay when some ones sea pass card "wonked" instead of "bonged" - we were on board!

Up to the solRium for lunch, and set up our on board internet account, we are relaxing in the Solarium until cabins are ready at 2! Internet is working well- but photos on twitter are easier!

Thanks for taking the time to share your cruise with us. Enjoy the sun and happy cruising!!:)

Joining you thru CC on your cruise on Adventure. We board adventure next April, however we are going on the Jewel in December for a Xmas/New Year B2B-enjoying your blog and your live review, I will be with you all the way. :D

Edited by britty1

Very excited to see another review from you and especially so since it's our next cruise! :)

Can't wait to hear more, and thanks for the discussion on Packing for a Purpose. Off to check it out...

We will be on Adventure in October for Hubby's big 50 birthday. Thanks for taking us along on your cruise. I have the sea pass bong as my text alert on my phone.....love that sound.

I have the "bong" as my text alert as well! Makes me smile every time haha

So glad to see this thread. My daughter and brand new son in law are on board for their honeymoon. After a beautiful wedding yesterday, I drove them to the airport today and got a text from her that they were on board at 4:39. She already sent me pictures from their balcony. I just wish there was a webcam for SJ so I could watch the sail away!!

I have the "bong" as my text alert as well! Makes me smile every time haha

Where did you download it from? That sounds like fun for the next couple weeks until I can hear it live!

So glad to see this thread. My daughter and brand new son in law are on board for their honeymoon. After a beautiful wedding yesterday, I drove them to the airport today and got a text from her that they were on board at 4:39. She already sent me pictures from their balcony. I just wish there was a webcam for SJ so I could watch the sail away!!

Well, what a coincidence, my cousin was married yesterday too! I'll look for them at love and marriage ;)

Peeker- that's an easy one, we haven't been on 24 hours and we've already been over to B&JS!:o. I will have DH take a photo and include it in the full review!

Since we last updated, we had the muster drill, where the oddest sewage smell was wafting, badly enough that several folks had tee shirts held up to their noses. No idea of this was because of something in port or somehting on the ship, but it was certainly noticeable on the muster deck (4 outdoor Promenade)

It did not dampen our appetite for Johnny Rockets, where we had dinner rather than going to the MDR. We didn't want to miss sail away from our balcony. Right at 8:30 pm we sailed from OSJ, past the ElMorro fort, which is always so dramatic! We posted on the blog, several photos from our stroll last night on Paseo Princessa and also a photo of El Morro from Adventure tonight!

The welcome aboard show featured the Singers and Dancers, a comedian named Dean Austin, and the Duck and Dog piano singer. It was very entertaining and a chance to meet our Scot Crusie Director Bobby and Activities Manger Tino. Seems like a great crowd on board, a mix of Latin and North Americans, and several family groups of 4 or more. A good mixed crew of ages, but not too many kids; guess it's testing season, and not too many can spare the days out of school!

Thanks to everyone for following along! Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to evryone! This is our first truly "live" thread- wish it was a bit easier to upload photos, but we will come back with a more "complete" review from home where we can share photos!

Sea Day tomorrow!

The visit to the school in St. Lucia to deliver the supplies I brought was an experience I will never forget. I'm a retired teacher and to see the few things the teachers had to work with was heart-breaking. They had blackboard dividers to separate the classes, kindergarten with no books nor puzzles, very little paper, no workbooks, and one laptop for about 7 teachers to share. But the happiest kids I have ever seen and so much better behaved than kids here (ie. no running to teacher every few minutes during recess to tattle; recess being inside as the school door opened directly onto the street. I am planning a day trip to the area when we get to St. Lucia and would love to bring more supplies.

We are traveling on AOS in November. A group of ten with half teachers/retired teachers/principal. We think Pack for a Purpose is a wonderful idea and are ready to contribute. I am looking forward to information on how to get the materials to the school. Thanks!

Familygoboston, I hope you don't mind me providing this info for the folks asking:

Below is the link for Pack for a Purpose if anyone is interested...it walks you through step by step on what to do, where the drop off locations are as well as what each location is in need of. I hope this helps!

http://www.packforapurpose.org/

I'm loving your review so far! I've been following your blog and your pics of OSJ are gorgeous. I especially love the pic of the upper balcony with the blooms...so pretty!

Familygoboston, I hope you don't mind me providing this info for the folks asking:

Below is the link for Pack for a Purpose if anyone is interested...it walks you through step by step on what to do, where the drop off locations are as well as what each location is in need of. I hope this helps!

http://www.packforapurpose.org/

I'm loving your review so far! I've been following your blog and your pics of OSJ are gorgeous. I especially love the pic of the upper balcony with the blooms...so pretty!

Thanks! I have studied the webpage. In order to drop off at a specific spot, how do we find out which spot is closest to the cruise port where we will be?

Edited by pinkroses