Ryndam - Sailaway - Sunday, April 19th

Rowsby

Yes, I am a bit surprised as well.

I am booked on the Statendam's September 21st sailing from Seattle and I am expecting something more than just a "normal" departure.

I'll likely be joining you for a farewell trip on her. But I live up there so I'm not booking until the last price drop. I'm solo and have to pay the supplement so I usually wait 'til the end.

I'll likely be joining you for a farewell trip on her. But I live up there so I'm not booking until the last price drop. I'm solo and have to pay the supplement so I usually wait 'til the end.

I do not know what the pricing is now for the Statendam's final HAL cruise, but when I booked several months ago as a solo, it was the best pricing for an outside cabin in a good location that I have been offered in probably a decade or more.

There is a good Roll Call started for the cruise. Come join us!

Looks like they're definitely in the rain now - but I hope that's not dampening anyone's spirits. I doubt it at the start of a 15 day transatlantic crossing.

Glad everyone (minus any possible disembarked pax), and the beer made it.

Happy sailing as you disappear into the mist.

Wish we could get a picture of your banner!

We just got home a little while ago after having dinner with my family after watching Ryndam sail out. We got a lot of pictures of me with the banner. The crew loved it. Captain and bridge team were at the window waving, crew on the mooring wing were waving, crew on the stern were waving. A lot of guest taking pictures of me too. Once we dump the camera tomorrow I will upload some pictures.

And I was crying too.

There was also a number of people out on Davis Islands along Channel Drive to say farewell to the Ryndam. Mom & I were 2 of them. This is a good vantage point to watch the ships coming out from Sparkman Channel. When Ryndam reached this point she did salute everyone by blowing her ships whistle. Had my VHF radio with us and as it also serves as a NOAA weather radio, it did go off with all the weather warnings that were being issued due to the weather moving in off the Gulf. The weather didn't reach us in this area till just after the Ryndam had gone by. Knew it was coming as we were starting to get some thunder and was showing up on radar via a weather app. The rain itself didn't last that long where we were. But this wasn't enough for us as we headed across the bay and to the North Skyway fishing pier to watch her go under the Skyway Bridge for the last time. By my watch this was at 8:34pm local time. I had wanted to then head for Ft. DeSoto but we decided not to cause it was dark by this time and by the time we would have been able to make it over there we would have not seen her for very long after having to pay 2 tolls and park admission. She also would have been past the park itself by the time we would have made it there. So once we could no longer see her from the fishing pier we headed for home.

Last Sunday we did drive down to Ft. DeSoto to watch her go out for her last cruise from Tampa after we disembarked earlier in the day from the 14 day cruise that sailed on March 29th. This was also the same cruise that the murder/suicide took place.

To me the Ryndam has been my birthday ship. We did her Maiden Voyage over my birthday which was a 11 day from Port Everglades sailing October 20, 1994. Prior to that she came into Tampa for pre inaugural events which we were also on board for. We had heard that Tampa was actually her 1st U.S. port of entry as when she came across from the shipyard she stopped off of Port Everglades to disembark a medical emergency but did not go all the way in. So if this was actually true, Tampa could be her first and is her last U.S. port.

We did the March 29th 2 week sailing instead of August 1st that we had originally been booked to do from Harwich, England. We wanted to cruise on her one more time before she leaves HAL and with the change did it from our home port of Tampa for a lot less $$$.

This last cruise on the Ryndam put us over 1,000 cruise day credits. Actual cruise days is 777. For the Ryndam we cruised on her 8 times totaling 84 days in the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and Alaska. Like others have said it was hard to not shed some tears. I admit to having quite a few of them. Especially when I couldn't see her any more. Now its time to crawl into bed and cry myself to sleep.

Edited by rjbean4