Advice on Miami stay pre cruise

helpmecruise16

There are no beaches in Miami. The Intercontinental in downtown Miami is only a mile from the port of Miami, also the Epic. If you want beaches, you'll have to go over to Miami Beach - there are dozens of hotels and all have pools but you'll have to have transportation to get there...by bus or rental car or taxi (I would NOT recommend taking a taxi anywhere in Miami!).

We are looking to spend a few days in Miami prior to the cruise. Looking for good pool, close to beach. Three kids traveling with us - 11,9,6. Any suggestions?

If I had a couple of day's , I would think about heading an hour's south to the Florida key's . :D:)

Check this out =

Edited by biker@sea

The Florida Keys would be a great place to spend a few days, but I thought it was a little further than an hour's drive. OP, if you get on line and check it out, find it is only an hour, yes, that would be a great place to spend a few days. Someone suggersted the Intercontinental, that also would be a good choice but please to do consider the Holiday Inn, right near the pier as well. If for no other reason, the pool isn't pretty or special. In fact it is pretty bad.

I love taking taxis in Miami! I have been in the city a few times for work and took a cab to the beach with colleagues for a few drinks & to relax. Also have taken a cab to Cafe News for "breakfast" (tapas at noon after a late night). I've never had issues with a cab in Miami.

If you want to be on the beach, I'd recommend keeping it simple & head to South Beach/Miami Beach. The Keys is not known for great beaches...diving, fishing...yes, but not beaches, which is what you specifically mentioned.

There are a couple Courtyard Marriotts in South Beach & a Four Points by Sheraton. The full service Marriott Stanton is a good hotel....Loews Miami Beach. All of these you could take a cab from airport, get around for the most part by walking and then cab over to port. A perfect way to spend a little time relaxing before boarding your ship!

If you want to be on the beach, I'd recommend keeping it simple & head to South Beach/Miami Beach. The Keys is not known for great beaches...diving, fishing...yes, but not beaches, which is what you specifically mentioned.

There are a couple Courtyard Marriotts in South Beach & a Four Points by Sheraton. The full service Marriott Stanton is a good hotel....Loews Miami Beach. All of these you could take a cab from airport, get around for the most part by walking and then cab over to port. A perfect way to spend a little time relaxing before boarding your ship!

Totally Agree! We have stayed in South Beach several times for a few days after a cruise. Easy taxi ride from Port of Miami to SB area. Hotels can be pricey, but even a hotel a block or two off the beach is an easy walk over to the most gorgeous stretch of sand. Lots of nice food options within walking distance too. And a taxi between South Beach and airport is not that bad. Can't remember the exact price but I do know it was regulated by zones.

When we go to Miami, we always stay at a Marriott in South Beach, walking distance to the beach. If you end up with a car rental, I highly recommend taking the kids to the zoo. It's huge and wonderful! Other than that, there are things somewhat closer for the kids. My kids love it down there!

We stayed at the Miami Courtyard Cadillac, just north of South Beach. Right on the boardwalk (1 minute walk to the beach). Not fancy but a nice place and well-maintained; great pool, second adults-only pool, good breakfast, Starbucks on site, and options right there for lunch and dinner. We booked it through NCL and got a better rate than I saw on ANY travel site, too - and then paid $50 for an upgrade to Oceanview Balcony. I highly recommend it.

Note if you book through NCL they provide transfer to the pier - but if I did it again, I'd take a cab. The bus took forever, stopped at another hotel, and when we got there the driver had to unload all of our bags by himself because the Port of Miami is a disorganized cluster-F. What should have been a 20 minute journey took an hour and a half.

There are plenty of decent old hotels on Collins Ave in Miami Beach. Don't look for all the bells and whistles. You're not going to sit in your hotel room all day, at least I hope not!:eek: You're going to be on the beach or at a lovely pool. Back in January I had a couple of nights at the Richmond Hotel prior to sailing on the Epic. It's right on Collins Ave, which is where all the action is in South Beach. Fantastic location. The hotel is OK. It's an old Art Deco style place, still family owned by the original family since the 1940's. Nothing fancy mind you but it was clean, the price was reasonable, they had a beautiful pool out back,

ImageUploadedByForums1429414394.685156.jpg.a93b5a268a8755601189e4ed708ab859.jpg

and then you walked through a gate and you were on the beach. :D It was worth every penny I spent. Eating in South Beach can be pricey, but there are always pizza joints. I ate like a pig once I got on the ship anyway! :rolleyes:

ImageUploadedByForums1429414437.994372.jpg.c70b1b2bd6be2494771f48e2594257f7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by bobg529

When we go to Miami, we always stay at a Marriott in South Beach, walking distance to the beach. If you end up with a car rental, I highly recommend taking the kids to the zoo. It's huge and wonderful! Other than that, there are things somewhat closer for the kids. My kids love it down there!

Good to know, thanks. My son is interested in going to the zoo if we go down early enough.

Good to know, thanks. My son is interested in going to the zoo if we go down early enough.

The zoo is so big you have an option to rent bikes, the ones that hold 2 or 4 people. We passed on it. Then, half way thru we realized we should of got them and still had half the zoo left lol. We were beat afterwards!!

We stayed at the surf comber in south beach. Great pool including free towels, sunscreen and flavoured water all day. Step out of the back gate and you're on the beach. It's not one of the cheapest.

Use one of the hotel search ones and look for something on Lincoln upto 19th or ocean drive. Some have a pool and only 1 block from the beach.

We've stayed downtown in m any of the hotels with pools and taken the bus to the beach

Or go further north to miami breach

Edited by Tiggertastic