Alaska...Aft Facing Cabin...Pros and Cons...

Debz62

Those of you who've been to Alaska with an AFT facing cabin...Please give me the pros and cons of having such a cabin. I'm worried there will not be any fun in watching where you've been from your balcony instead of being able to see from one side of the ship. Did you miss out on a lot of scenery? Would you choose an Aft facing cabin to Alaska again? I'm not talking about one of the fancy wrap around suites, just a regular verandah stateroom.

Thanks for your input...:)

The aft cabins are VERY popular, for good reason. You can see what is visible from both sides of the ship, not one side or the other.

Alaska scenery is "big picture" not such you have to be in the one special spot at that particular moment.

Scroll forward to see some pics from our aft cabin Alaska cruise. (It was on Princess :O but I think the views are the same :) )

https://plus.google.com/photos/107915101170473855137/albums/5204740255108641505/5206533159141587074?banner=pwa&authkey=CJ2kldmR7urVwAE&pid=5206533159141587074&oid=107915101170473855137

Awesome pictures!! Some of the best I have seen! Hope we have the sunshine you had!

We occupied an aft-facing cabin on the Eurodam. We were in the Norwegian fjords, not Alaska, but I can attest to what CruiserBruce said; viewing port and starboard from one position is great, and seeing where you've been is fantastic for getting wonderful photos of the port you just left. You're also out of the wind for the most part.

Our cabin was 25% deeper than other veranda cabins, and the extra space was icing on the cake.

Awesome pictures!! Some of the best I have seen! Hope we have the sunshine you had!

Cruisevers...did your niece get her cabin assignment yet? I do hope she gets something that she's happy with. :)

Those of you who've been to Alaska with an AFT facing cabin...Please give me the pros and cons of having such a cabin. I'm worried there will not be any fun in watching where you've been from your balcony instead of being able to see from one side of the ship. Did you miss out on a lot of scenery? Would you choose an Aft facing cabin to Alaska again? I'm not talking about one of the fancy wrap around suites, just a regular verandah stateroom.

Thanks for your input...:)

If we didn't have an aft cabin on the Oosterdam in Alaska, we would have never seen the hundreds of whales, including a humpback that did a full breach no more than 25 yards from our ship. The people on the port side never saw it, as it was behind us on the starboard side.

We have chosen an aft wrap nearly every time in Alaska. So yes, I would choose an aft cabin again. And then there is the wake!!

Some other advantages of aft cabins:

1. Very little foot traffic.

2. Only three-minute elevator ride up to the Lido Restaurant or down to the MDR.

3. Its a three-minute elevator ride up from the Room Service galley so hot food will arrive hot.

4. You can sit on your verandah while the ship is moving while others will be enduring 18 knot winds over their verandahs.

5. You can dine on your verandah while others cannot while the ship is moving.

6. The sound of the wake provides a soothing sleeping environment.

7. Unless you are standing at the railing, you will be out of the rain when the ship is moving.

OP

As I understand it you said that you are NOT looking at a wrap aft cabin. If that is the case -- you only look directly at the wake.

JMO -- but I wouldn't like that.

No, unfortunately we're not looking at a wrap aft cabin. If that were the case I wouldn't have any concerns. We'll make the best of it though...no matter where our balcony cabin is I'll plan on spending most times on the bow running back and forth...LOL!

2. Only three-minute elevator ride up to the Lido Restaurant or down to the MDR.

3. Its a three-minute elevator ride up from the Room Service galley so hot food will arrive hot.

4. You can sit on your verandah while the ship is moving while others will be enduring 18 knot winds over their verandahs.

7. Unless you are standing at the railing, you will be out of the rain when the ship is moving.

Thank you. You've listed some very good points for an aft/wake facing cabin. Sounds like an aft/wake facing cabin could be enjoyed a bit more. :)

Cruisevers...did your niece get her cabin assignment yet? I do hope she gets something that she's happy with. :)

Not yet Deb but I think it may be any day now. Funny you are worried about getting an aft and I am worried about my niece getting one at the front! Since we are aft, I am hoping they are aft near us. She could care less of couse just being glad to go. Retired Navy hubby says more chance of sea sickness forward too and she has been seasick on smaller boats..but that is another discussion!

If we didn't have an aft cabin on the Oosterdam in Alaska, we would have never seen the hundreds of whales, including a humpback that did a full breach no more than 25 yards from our ship. The people on the port side never saw it, as it was behind us on the starboard side.

We have chosen an aft wrap nearly every time in Alaska. So yes, I would choose an aft cabin again. And then there is the wake!!

I agree, same happened to us. It almost seemed like some of the wildlife hid while the ship passed and then popped up afterwards and we were the only ones to see it.

Scroll forward to see some pics from our aft cabin Alaska cruise. (It was on Princess :O but I think the views are the same :) )

https://plus.google.com/photos/107915101170473855137/albums/5204740255108641505/5206533159141587074?banner=pwa&authkey=CJ2kldmR7urVwAE&pid=5206533159141587074&oid=107915101170473855137

Fantastic pictures! Can hardly wait for our Alaska cruise this summer! We booked an aft cabin, and your pictures make me glad we did!!!! Thanks for posting.

My experience: when the Rotterdam headed out of the Hubbard Glacier area, we went back to our aft cabin to pick up something on our way to some event or other. We opened our cabin door, and literally gasped. Filling the windows of the balcony was a panoramic view of the glacier. It was as though we were alone in the middle of the water with all of the wonders of creation showing off just for us.

Needless to say, we didn't make it to wherever we were going. We stayed on our balcony until Hubbard finally disappeared from sight.

Here you've given us even more reasons to look forward to our first aft balcony cabin, though we will be going to Bermuda this time. Thanks! :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

My experience: when the Rotterdam headed out of the Hubbard Glacier area, we went back to our aft cabin to pick up something on our way to some event or other. We opened our cabin door, and literally gasped. Filling the windows of the balcony was a panoramic view of the glacier. It was as though we were alone in the middle of the water with all of the wonders of creation showing off just for us.

Needless to say, we didn't make it to wherever we were going. We stayed on our balcony until Hubbard finally disappeared from sight.

Sounds amazing....!

DH will not sail in anything other than an aft cabin to Alaska. Both of our Alaskan cruises were aft and so is cruise number three next year :) The pluses are little wind while sailing, panoramic views and that lovely sound of the wake. The minuses are, er, well....can't think of any right now.

Hope you take a cabin at the aft (stern) of the ship and enjoy.

IMO aft is great for any itinerary, even moreso ones with scenic cruising (Alaska, Norway, etc.).

Only issue with them is in the Caribbean they can get incredibly hot (the cabin, I mean) because the afternoon sun bakes them.

IMO aft is great for any itinerary, even moreso ones with scenic cruising (Alaska, Norway, etc.).

Only issue with them is in the Caribbean they can get incredibly hot (the cabin, I mean) because the afternoon sun bakes them.

Agree 100%

We try to keep the drapes closed when the sun is pointed at the windows.

Not going to Alaska (yet) but I am excited about our aft cabin on the Oosterdam next March!!

:D