Transatlantic from Rome: First timers

OBX-Cruisers

We have been on many cruises but this will be our first transatlantic cruise. The HAL cruise starts in Rome and makes stops in Italy, Spain and then 6 cruising days to Ft. Lauderdale.

A few basic questions for those experienced in TAs:

1. Which airport should we fly into if we want to spend 3-4 days in Rome before heading to the port?

2. What hotels/location(s) in Rome would be best for people like us that haven't ever been there and want to do basic sightseeing? Trip will start at end of October and into early November.

3. Are there any suggestions or tips about what we should/should not consider during our stay in Rome?

THANK YOU all for any insights you can offer for us European newbies in Italy and Spain.:o

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Some research on the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

would be very beneficial.

Unless you are flying from within Europe, you will arrive at Fuimicino (FCO).

There will be many threads over there on hotels and how to get around. Much of Rome is very walkable, if you don't have a mobility issue.

We have been on many cruises but this will be our first transatlantic cruise. The HAL cruise starts in Rome and makes stops in Italy, Spain and then 6 cruising days to Ft. Lauderdale.

A few basic questions for those experienced in TAs:

1. Which airport should we fly into if we want to spend 3-4 days in Rome before heading to the port?

2. What hotels/location(s) in Rome would be best for people like us that haven't ever been there and want to do basic sightseeing? Trip will start at end of October and into early November.

3. Are there any suggestions or tips about what we should/should not consider during our stay in Rome?

THANK YOU all for any insights you can offer for us European newbies in Italy and Spain.:o

When we stay in a city for 3 or more days, we rent an apartment instead of staying in a Hotel. Gives us a lot more room and the ability to make coffee in the morning or cook a full meal if we want. (we don't).

We are staying in Rome for 4 days post cruise in May and have rented an apt near the Vatican.

We use Airbnb.com or homeaway.com

We've done three Fall T/A's from Rome - two on HAL ships - a great combination of a few days in Rome followed by a couple of Mediterranean ports and a comfortable trip home. We book port side balconies - the sun all day makes a difference in October and November. We stayed at hotels near Termini station - an easy walk after getting off the Leonardo Express from the airport - also where the two Metro lines cross making getting around (Vatican, Colosseum, etc.) easy and inexpensive. Get the three day passes - good on Metro, busses and trams - the busses are confusing, but the trams are great ways to get around on their limited routes - you can print out route maps in advance, so you can plan your days in Rome in advance. We've stayed at Hotel Mediterraneo on Via Cavour and Nord Nuova on G. Amendola - both short walks from Termini - from which you can take the train to Civita Vecchia on embarkation day. I would suggest you go on your roll call and try to line up two or three other couples staying near you in Rome to share a van to the port for a comfortable and reasonably priced transfer.

You can find cheaper hotels - but you want to figure the cost of breakfasts if not included as well as extra taxi fares if you do not stay near Termini - those two I mentioned are very comfortable.

Have a great stay in Rome and a happy crossing home.

The international airport is usually Flumicino - Leonardo da Vinci Airport.

Rome is not that big, in fact you can walk to most of the sites and take a quick cab ride between those that are far apart. Roma Termini train station is a good area to start in at the Spanish Steps, then moving on to the Fountain of Four Rivers, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain. A quick cab ride will get you to the Forum and Colosseum - all in one day! The vatican would be a whole other day type of experience.

As to hotel, I would select one that is fairly close to the train station so you can take the train to Civitavecchia to get on your cruise (unless you intend to take a private transfer.)

If you want something more luxurious, Dom Hotel Roma is wonderful (under $400). Inn Spagna Charming House is another lovely place to stay and near the Spanish Steps and Roma Termini. (under $200). More Hotel like? Try the Hotel Condotti. (Around $250) Another good choice: Hotel Manfredi Rome. ($275)

Rome is a beautiful city. Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes and watch your step so that you don't trip on uneven terrain. (I have an acquaintance who broke her ankle at the Forum on her first morning in Rome.)

One thing that is important to understand is that Italy was actually 17 different regions that only joined together in the 1800's to become one country and each region has its own culture and its own cuisine. Many times I see first timers go to Rome and have pizza or chicken parmigiana and then say it was terrible. This is because these dishes are not from Rome - they are from Naples. Rome is more about ragu's, grilled meat, Pasta Amatriciani, seafood and of course Roma Sparito's famous Cacio e Pepe and the marvelous Potato Gnocchi from Gnocchi Goivedi. So, as you tour around Italy, it is helpful to know what foods each region is known for and order accordingly for the best dining experiences.

Check this out - Rome is in Lazio:

http://www.rusticocooking.com/regions.htm

Navybanker and others who have replied so far:

Thank you all for your great insights on the logistics on our upcoming trip. We will be on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, 20 day TA and the comments so far are very consistent with what we got from our friend in Quebec who has been on several TAs and has traveled by land in a lot of the ports we will be stopping at in Italy and Spain.

Keep those suggestions coming as we DID book a cabin on the Port side after reading other CC comments before we chose our cabin and we will likely try and stay near the Termini station.

Has anyone stayed at the IQ hotel? It gets great ratings and is moderately priced (for Rome!).

Navybanker and others who have replied so far:

Thank you all for your great insights on the logistics on our upcoming trip. We will be on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, 20 day TA and the comments so far are very consistent with what we got from our friend in Quebec who has been on several TAs and has traveled by land in a lot of the ports we will be stopping at in Italy and Spain.

Keep those suggestions coming as we DID book a cabin on the Port side after reading other CC comments before we chose our cabin and we will likely try and stay near the Termini station.

Has anyone stayed at the IQ hotel? It gets great ratings and is moderately priced (for Rome!).

If you have not yet booked air to Rome, you might want to check HAL's "Flight Ease" service - one way trans-Atlantic air fares are punitive when booked directly with airlines. To the extent you will be scheduling a few days in Rome pre-cruise you will be OK if there are flight delays (which some say are more problematic if flight is not booked directly with the airline - I have used that, and comparable, service many times and had no problem - even when Hurricane Sandy forced cancellation of original flight: the airline got us on an earlier flight).

You will find that such cruise-related flight arrangements will save many hundreds of dollars vs. direct airline booking: on our upcoming flight to London for a QM2 crossing back, airfare is about $450 per vs. over $1200 if booked direct.

You are fortunate to have a long day at Livorno - 7:00 PM departure makes seeing Florence much more workable than the usual 4:00 or 5:00 PM sailing.

Regarding a hotel in Rome, since you are going to be there for several days I would strongly recommend looking for something closer to the center of the historic area. This would be around the Pantheon/Trevi Fountain/Piazza Navona area.

Yes, you'd have to take a taxi to and from the train station (or from the airiport); however, the convenience of spending the time you have being able to walk just about anywhere -- and the much more pleasant surroundings -- make it a better choice.

I have stayed around Termini a couple of times and, while it's not unsafe, it certainly isn't the prettiest part of Rome nor the most central for sightseeing.

Thanks cruisemom.........good suggestion and I will welcome specific hotel recommendations for these areas from others.

I absolutely loved the Albergo del Senato. It's right next door to the Pantheon and walking distance to all the historic sights (Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Forum, Colisseum, etc.). Lots of little shops/eateries nearby, including one with fantastic gelato. The room was lovely and sparkling clean, the staff is very nice, it even has a tiny, adorable little lobby bar (there's also a rooftop bar, but maybe closed in late fall). I know several other people who have stayed there and also raved about it. Being that photos are worth 1000 words and all, here are some:

Room 306:

11614377944_c6fd0f8868_z.jpgRome 006 by

The view from the room:

11614046355_d55dfaa262_z.jpg by

11614250893_b660837a55_z.jpg by

Here's the hotel all lit up (the white building in the center of the photo), from the hotel's website. I forgot to take one myself of the exterior.:

albergo_del_senato_view.jpg

I am another fan of Albergo del Senato, but there are other hotels in the vicinity, some less expensive, some more expensive.

Last November I stayed at Albergo Cesari. It is well located halfway between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon in a bustling area, very easy to walk to anywhere except perhaps the Vatican. It also has a nice rooftop area used for breakfast and as a bar in the evening.

It isn't as elegant as the Del Senato, nor does it have such a stunning view. But it is also less expensive. Many good reports from those who've stayed there on the Italy forum here.

Closer to the Pantheon but more expensive is the Grand Hotel Minerva. And the Albergo Santa Chiara is also nearby and less expensive, like the Cesari.

(P.S. Did you actually contact the Del Senato by email to check that they are fully booked? Or did you just look at the web site? If you are really sold on them, I suggest you try emailing, just in case...)

Well we have taken suggestions and now are making progress. We got the Albergo del Senato booked as well as transport from the airport and then to the cruise port.

Thank you VERY MUCH to all who have helped us.

NOW on to the arrangements for excursions during the shore visits during our 20 day transatlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Well we have taken suggestions and now are making progress. We got the Albergo del Senato booked as well as transport from the airport and then to the cruise port.

Thank you VERY MUCH to all who have helped us.

NOW on to the arrangements for excursions during the shore visits during our 20 day transatlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam

I encourage you to post questions about the various ports on the ports of call boards where there are a number of knowledgeable folks who can help with planning private tours, even do-it-yourself days.

Timing is everything also. When I go back to the hotel's website.........the Superior Double rooms for our dates are now listed as NOT AVAILABLE.

I have been on the boards already for our first stops in Naples and in Livorno..........the latter especially needs work as Florence is over an hour away and Pisa is something we do want to see at least briefly according to what most say about the place.

Thanks Mom for your help