Sea Pass Accounts

Always setup a credit cart to run my seapass accounts, but my question is....for the 3 of us in 1 stateroom, we each assign our own credit cards for each of us for our sea pass cards (that way my credit card isn't paying for all 3 sea pass cards), but if when boarding the ship, can I put down cash to burn through first? Say in excess of $1000 cash, and then once that's burned up, use the credit card?

I'd like to do this in order to keep my credit cart bill down, but never tried doing this with cash, which would basically just give my sea pass account a credit I believe.

Always setup a credit cart to run my seapass accounts, but my question is....for the 3 of us in 1 stateroom, we each assign our own credit cards for each of us for our sea pass cards (that way my credit card isn't paying for all 3 sea pass cards), but if when boarding the ship, can I put down cash to burn through first? Say in excess of $1000 cash, and then once that's burned up, use the credit card?

I'd like to do this in order to keep my credit cart bill down, but never tried doing this with cash, which would basically just give my sea pass account a credit I believe.

They will take happily take your cash at Guest Services 24 hours.

Yeah, you can do it. I'm not sure I understand why though, when you could just use that same cash to pay the credit card bill later.

Plus, you would get more points on the Visa card if you pay later.:)

Can one simply set up the Sea Pass account with cash, does a CC have to be used? My husband and I don't have a credit card, and I know not to use my debit card due to authorizations (I used to work in customer service for a online brand and got all the complaints about auths)....mulling over whether to get one anyhoo.

Edited by Simbar

Can one simply set up the Sea Pass account with cash, does a CC have to be used? My husband and I don't have a credit card, and I know not to use my debit card due to authorizations (I used to work in customer service for a online brand and got all the complaints about auths)....mulling over whether to get one anyhoo.

Yes your account can be fully cash based.

Royal will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account.

I believe you can charge up your Seapass card in the arcades as well. We give the kids cash to do what with they want and they charge up the cash into the card. Worked last two cruises fine. Guess you don't want to be standing in front of a machine feeding it that many bills though lol.

Call you debit card provider, list where you will be going, for how long and use it like a credit card if you have no resource to obtain a credit card. You will need something when you get off the ship so you do not have to carry cash and in case of an emergency.

Call you debit card provider, list where you will be going, for how long and use it like a credit card if you have no resource to obtain a credit card. You will need something when you get off the ship so you do not have to carry cash and in case of an emergency.

definitely tell them where you are going, good to do with a credit card also. One month ago at the Disney ticket window I was buying 600 dollars worth of tickets and my card got declined. I was stunned, grabbed my phone and looked at my card app and it showed the decline and asked me to call. They had disabled my card because the charge was abnormally high for me and out of my usual area. I was able to get it turned back on in just a couple minutes and complete my purchase but it took a little while for my blood pressure to return to normal.

Edited by Sitzmark

I use a debit card every cruise and no problems but I don't use it in ports. And you are right you should notify your bank of your itinerary. One other thing is I have a separate checking account where I put all money for the cruise so it will be separate from my regular checking account. I do that just in case there is a problem my money in my regular account won't get get messed up or tied up over some "BS"! :cool:

Edited by bigque

I use a debit card every cruise and no problems but I don't use it in ports. And you are right you should notify your bank of your itinerary. One other thing is I have a separate checking account where I put all money for the cruise so it will be separate from my regular checking account. I do that just in case there is a problem my money in my regular account won't get get messed up or tied up over some "BS"! :cool:

Oh there's an alternative.

And I will definitely contact our bank....it's a local bank but I like the personal touch I get from them....like when I call I get an actual person who will immediately do things. We've made them aware before when travelling to Disney and they've upped our card daily limit as well as know where we will be and charges coming from.

You should purchase OBC.

I always purchase it as I pay my vacations in advance. It feels good to come home from a vacation knowing you will not be seeing any bills.

Can you purchase OBC online before your cruise? I would like to do that but couldn't find that option on the RCI website

Can you purchase OBC online before your cruise? I would like to do that but couldn't find that option on the RCI website

Call RCCL and they will assist you. You cannot purchase online.

I have a cruise in October of this year and I have already purchased OBC. It's awesome not to worry about your CC.

What if you dont spend all of your obc..how do you get it refunded?

Either go to Guest Services the last night of the cruise for a cash refund, or they will automatically credit it to your credit card if you used one to secure your onboard account.

Either go to Guest Services the last night of the cruise for a cash refund, or they will automatically credit it to your credit card if you used one to secure your onboard account.

Or a debit card. ;)

Also, preauthorizations shouldn't be a problem on the debit card like they are for a hotel -- they won't start charging anything to the debit card on file until the end of the cruise, unlike a hotel that preauthorizes the anticipated amount plus "anticipated incidentals" when you arrive.

At a hotel, there's always the chance of someone skipping town without paying the bill, so they get preauthorization to make sure you have the money available when you first get there. On a cruise ship, you're not allowed off the boat until your bill is paid in full -- when you go to swipe your card for your last debarkation, it will come up on security's screen that you have to return to Guest Relations to pay your bill.

Edited by brillohead

Something we always try to do.

Or a debit card. ;)

Also, preauthorizations shouldn't be a problem on the debit card like they are for a hotel -- they won't start charging anything to the debit card on file until the end of the cruise, unlike a hotel that preauthorizes the anticipated amount plus "anticipated incidentals" when you arrive.

At a hotel, there's always the chance of someone skipping town without paying the bill, so they get preauthorization to make sure you have the money available when you first get there. On a cruise ship, you're not allowed off the boat until your bill is paid in full -- when you go to swipe your card for your last debarkation, it will come up on security's screen that you have to return to Guest Relations to pay your bill.

Actually they run your debit card transactions through each night. The last day of the the cruise you only have transactions if you bought anything the last night and they run those through so you will not be held up leaving the ship. I only know this because as I said in a previous post I have only used a debit card for my seapass on every cruise! :cool: