Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

There we go, thanks - FBP for getting this image ... uploaded

NCL is getting the last laugh monitoring these postings, again - dirty job done, words got out and let all those "selfish" cyber cruisers go at each other instead of us.

Like I said last night, good luck redeeming those perks in 2016 (OMG, 2017 - better lock them in now & make full payment ... they will honor it, right. They will? Better think again.)

Wait, these doesn't affect us so ...

Hold it - no more UBP for May bookings, either. Nope, we don't drink alcohol. :D

Sarcasm mode off - flame protection on, ignore list enabled. Go ahead, make my day.

Blocking is your friend ;) I just can't take the very few who continue to defend NCL ad nauseam. I get the selfish people who only care about themselves with the "doesn't affect me" nonsense. I guess that's human nature. But the ones who think NCL has done nothing wrong over the past month or so with all of the nonsense they have thrown at the consumer? :rolleyes: I just don't get that at all.

First, in this forum, I feel the need to thank you for remaining civil :) - others are not so kind. So "thank you." :) My position is that it "might be the best solution" ... I leave plenty of room to say that this might not be the best solution.

If 25% of the passengers reduce/eliminate the DSC, when the contract ends, the crew members with other options will seek those other jobs, leaving behind crew that is "less than stellar" and has nowhere else to go. The new employees coming on board will be trained by the "less than stellar" crew and that will impact NCL's service to it's customers. NCL (or any service provider) can't endure a reputation of bad service. NCL would have to change the way they do business.

I agree there are a lot of people like you who will pay the DSC and me who pre-pay the DSC. To your point (and part of what I was saying) it will take more than "a few" to make an impact (I use 20-25% as the number that would get NCL's attention).

How about this example ... you go to SuperCuts and get a haircut. You pay the stylist and say "I am not going to tip you because your company doesn't use energy efficient light bulbs". If 25% of that stylist's customers do the same, that employee would have to speak to his boss and say "our customers are not tipping because of these light bulbs. I need you to switch them so I can get tips again. And, if all of the stylist were having this same issue, the company would have to look into changing the thing that the customers don't like. I guess the SuperCuts owner could let the employees quit/leave and get all new ones fresh out of beauty school. But, good business says "keep skilled employees." (I have no idea what SuperCuts uses; I'm giving a hypothetical example). This is how the reduction in the DSC "could" impact NCL.

But, I also don't care too much about the changes that the cruise line is making. Out of the previous cruises, I've ordered room service enough to count on one hand - total. They could charge $19.95 per order and I'd be fine. If Cagney's is removed from the UDP and Ocean Blue is added, I'd love that. Between the Brazilian Steakhouse, Japanese Steakhouse and Cagney's Steakhouse, it seems like it could be repetitive. I'm hoping that this change is truly a "change" and not a "reduction."

Not sailing with NCL is also a solution, but doesn't that also punish the employees?

And thank you for being civil, it is much needed on here.

What you didn't take into consideration is this. A cabin steward makes, say, $1,400 a month now. If you take 20 or 25 percent away, they would then make $1,120 or $1,050 a month, which is more than the average for all jobs in the Philippines and considerably more than what they would make as a housekeeper. So I don't believe you would see many crew members leaving.

With regard to your Super Cuts example, do you really think any of the NCL customers are going to mention to any staff member, sans the front desk, that they are not paying the DSC and the reason behind it. I think many on here will say a lot on a forum, but won't say anything while on the ships.

I'm guessing that the UDP will soon be gone, because I think what actually happened on the ships, is not what NCL thought would happen. I think they thought that everyone would eat at all the restaurants evenly and that certainly didn't happen, especially with me.

Do I really think that stopping from cruising on NCL will punish them, no because there will always be another customer to take their place, but I believe it is the only way for a customer to show their dissatisfaction. As you can see by the other changes, the complaints on here, the letters/emails some have said they wrote, etc., hasn't impacted the changes at all....they are all still there.

Interesting. It now says for May 1 - 30

Free dining CREDIT

So, those that book during the month of may will be getting a dining credit. How much? We don't know until we read the terms. However, those that booked with the UDP still have that....although Cagney's may be removed, it seems.

Harriet

Let see, you think that punishing the staff is the best solution. First of all the crew has a contract and has to stay through it, so you will actually only be punishing the crew and passengers, not the company. Secondly, there will always be another person to take that leaving crew member's position (especially when you consider the average salary for all jobs is $850 a month in the Philippines). Thirdly, even if a few removed their DSC, there are still a lot of others, like me, who will pay it, so the company probably wouldn't feel it.

There is only one way to punish the company and that is not to sail with them.

The following website will give a better idea of the Phillipine salaries for comparable jobs.

Given that the exchange rate for the PHP to USD is 44.3390 to 1, the figures are interesting.

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=171&loctype=1

Your logic is irrefutable as far as it goes, however what if withholding the DSC is not being done to punish anyone, but to simply control the cost associated with the cruise with the only means possible? If a traveler has budgeted say $2000 for a trip including dining extras etc, and the increases in gratuities has raised the price point to $2400, isn't it within that travelers rights to cut the budget by cutting the OPTIONAL gratuities? Yes, of course this is unfair to a grossly underpaid staff, but why should the traveler be concerned with the well being of the crew? Isn't that really the job of their EMPLOYER? I do not say this out of cruelty. There are far too many employers in today's world that use incentive techniques to underpay their staff and then lay the blame on the customers instead of themselves. Every company is entitled to try to maximize its profit, but it can be done without cheating either the customer or the employee. I would greatly prefer if we could go back to the old days, where their were NO discounts or "special offers". The cruise line would be responsible to set a fair and yet profitable price. If the buying public is unhappy with the price, there is no gun to their head to force them to buy. The market will ultimately determine if the companies strategies are a success. NCL should be selling itself as the line to travel on due to merit, and not through shoddy marketing tricks.
What someone does with their DSC (pay or not pay) is certainly their decision and they can do whatever they want to do and it should be no one's business but their own.

The way I look at it, some may have differing opinions, when one books a cruise, the DSC, Hotel Service Charge, automatic gratuities, etc. is part of the deal. I know that the crew's wages are related to the DSC in a big way and I guess I do care for the well being of the crew, just as I care about the well being of every living thing. But don't get me wrong, I don't tip more just because of where someone is from or how many children they have or any sob story they tell, I will tip extra based on the services I get that I feel is above and beyond. It would be easier if NCL would just raise the cost of our cruises by $12.95 or $14.95 a day, but that is not how the system works. Most cruise lines have the DSC, Hotel Service Charge, automatic gratuities, etc. in place to pay the majority of the crew's salaries. Not to mention, if they were to raise a 7 night cruise by $90.65 per person, those on a tight budget (that have to reduce or remove the DSC to make their budget), might not be able to cruise at all. So it is pretty much a no win situation for both the passengers and NCL.

As long as one company has promotions/sales, then every other company will have to have them. You can't blame a company for being competitive. It is like car dealers....I just wish they would have the price on the sticker and that is what you pay. No wheeling and dealing, but one car company did that (I believe it was Saturn) and they are now gone. Even though their prices might have been the lowest they would go, because they weren't promoting a sale, the customers didn't seem to buy it.

Blocking is your friend ;) I just can't take the very few who continue to defend NCL ad nauseam. I get the selfish people who only care about themselves with the "doesn't affect me" nonsense. I guess that's human nature. But the ones who think NCL has done nothing wrong over the past month or so with all of the nonsense they have thrown at the consumer? :rolleyes: I just don't get that at all.

You and me have very much disagreed in the past but lately I agree with you 100%. I don't get those that still say it all doesn't bother them. Ever see that new commercial for sprint where they have very rich people paying for stupid stuff because they can. Some here remind me of that commercial. Although I feel they are just taking that stance just to be different. Regardless of someones weatlth it really has nothing to do with who can afford what. It is the principal of booking something that is included and then taken away.

I personally really like NCL and there are many things that I feel I can't get on another cruise line but what has been going on is really putting a bad taste in my mouth

Geri

So, NLH Arizona... you're just gonna let this one slip past? I'm detecting a pattern with you...

You posted it now. I'm asking you.

Or are you saying that you're not actually certain that "it" actually says anything about changing price and program at will? You're just sort of making it up as you go along?

So, NLH Arizona... you're just gonna let this one slip past? I'm detecting a pattern with you...
Like I said, go ask the poster who posted the information, I'm sure they will be more than happy to show you were they found the terms. Just as you believe what one passenger on a ship said, I happen to believe what this poster said. Edited by NLH Arizona

Wow there are so many changes lately with NCL adding fees or removing items or services. Del Rio is really determined to get that extra $50 from every passenger :eek:

From a customer perspective....its not that great...increase charges for UDP, hard to get bookings, added 18% gratuity on top of that auto daily gratuity, and now Cagneys removed from the UDP. But from the corporate side...they see silver nickels and golden dimes ;)

I am curious how much Cagneys will go up in price? It went up to $30 last year. It went up 18% this year. Do you think they will now charge for each item and charge for side dishes, appetizers, or desserts?

***Sigh*** My best meal at Cagneys was when they were $20 with those original Cagneys fries :)

All of the recent changes I think amount to way more than $50 per passenger.

Like I said, go ask the poster who posted the information, I'm sure they will be more than happy to show you were they found the terms. Just as you believe what one passenger on a ship said, I happen to believe what this poster said.

Wow... you really do make this stuff up as you go. I never said I believe the OP. But you're just gonna go ahead with NCL said they can change the price and program at will because "it" says so, but actually, nowhere in the terms does it actually say that... okay. Gotcha... makes sense now.

Thank you for confirming my observations on your pattern. You're the "expert"...

Edited by triptolemus

Yes, a lot of people are ticked off by their changes. Yes, repeat NCL cruisers may jump ship (no pun intended). And yes, there will still be new customers. And I think many of them will become repeat cruisers because if they've never cruised before, then this will be all they know as the "norm" and they will come to expect extra charges, and they will accept the watered down product because they have nothing else to compare it to since they've never cruised before. To many of us, cruising has undergone many changes over the years since the first time we cruised (1990 for me). But for newbies to cruising (and there are plenty), this will become their norm.

Except if you water down the product enough (as NCL is doing) then new cruisers will probably think, meh, cruising sucks and is not for me, and they won't be repeat cruisers either. Only time will tell but I suspect that all of these changes long-term are going to lower NCL's profitability, not increase it. In the business world it is far more important to retain customers, because it is much easier to retain a customer then attract a new one.

Wow... you really do make this stuff up as you go. I never said I believe the OP.

Okay... thank you for confirming my observations on your pattern. You're the "expert"...

You are more than welcome! Yes, I'm an expert, just like you are and everyone else on here is. Edited by NLH Arizona

What someone does with their DSC (pay or not pay) is certainly their decision and they can do whatever they want to do and it should be no one's business but their own.

The way I look at it, some may have differing opinions, when one books a cruise, the DSC, Hotel Service Charge, automatic gratuities, etc. is part of the deal. I know that the crew's wages are related to the DSC in a big way and I guess I do care for the well being of the crew, just as I care about the well being of every living thing. But don't get me wrong, I don't tip more just because of where someone is from or how many children they have or any sob story they tell, I will tip extra based on the services I get that I feel is above and beyond. It would be easier if NCL would just raise the cost of our cruises by $12.95 or $14.95 a day, but that is not how the system works. Most cruise lines have the DSC, Hotel Service Charge, automatic gratuities, etc. in place to pay the majority of the crew's salaries. Not to mention, if they were to raise a 7 night cruise by $90.65 per person, those on a tight budget (that have to reduce or remove the DSC to make their budget), might not be able to cruise at all. So it is pretty much a no win situation for both the passengers and NCL.

As long as one company has promotions/sales, then every other company will have to have them. You can't blame a company for being competitive. It is like car dealers....I just wish they would have the price on the sticker and that is what you pay. No wheeling and dealing, but one car company did that (I believe it was Saturn) and they are now gone. Even though their prices might have been the lowest they would go, because they weren't promoting a sale, the customers didn't seem to buy it.

In regard to your statement about raising the price of the cruise to pay for the DSC, don't be too shocked, because NCL HAS DONE IT !!!! They raised the price of the cruise and included the DSC as a booking perk.

That negates all of the long standing arguments on these boards about cruise lines not being able to do this, doesn't it ??

This brings to ife the other question --- Is NCL actually paying the DSC into the pool when it is offered as a booking bonus ??? We will probably never know !!!

I am amazed that there is a thread this long and this much outrage over something that one person on one cruise heard. Not such a remote possibility this is incorrect, before getting nuts maybe everyone should wait to hear something from NCL.

Because every recent change like this has been heard of first like this (by somebody on a cruise who posts it on cc,) because NCL tries to keep them secret and hopes nobody will notice, and every single one has been correct.

In regard to your statement about raising the price of the cruise to pay for the DSC, don't be too shocked, because NCL HAS DONE IT !!!! They raised the price of the cruise and included the DSC as a booking perk.

That negates all of the long standing arguments on these boards about cruise lines not being able to do this, doesn't it ??

This brings to ife the other question --- Is NCL actually paying the DSC into the pool when it is offered as a booking bonus ??? We will probably never know !!!

Raising the price of the DSC because of a promotion is totally different than raising their cruise fare by $12.95 or $14.95 to incorporate the DSC on all cruises without a promotion (which was my point), which THEY HAVEN'T DONE, but I wish they would, because it could not be remove or reduce and NCL would then have to figure out how to deal with onboard complainants.

I don't think anyone has said that cruise line can't add the DSC or automatic gratuities into the cruise fares (some like the higher end cruise lines, Crystal for example) have their gratuities included in the cruise fare. I think people have said that they don't for various reasons; such as, passengers would have to pay taxes on them, the cruise line would have to pay commissions on them to TA's and it would raise their cruise fare to a possible point where they would not be competitive, unless all cruise lines did the same.

If their Marketing Department is anything like many other companies, they have a budget that actually pays for the promotion. For example, if the company I worked for wanted a customer to put a CD on sale, we would make up the difference to the customer in the way of a deal (a percentage off the price of the CD), so that the customer would still be whole. My guess would be that NCL has a similar system, because I'm sure that someone would have heard from a crew member by now if they were getting shorted from what they normally get. But you are correct, we will never know, we can only surmise and some will say they don't and others will say they do.

Edited by NLH Arizona

As a solo sailor, I will cancel the UDP (which I paid for, not a promo) on my October Epic cruise and I won't buy it again. The math just doesn't work, and I prefer to eat in Cagney's more than any other restaurant. Here's an example from real life, Mr. Del Rio:

December 2014 on Epic I paid $99 for UDP because I'm Latitudes Platinum. I ate in Cirque Dreams, Teppanyaki, La Cucina (because I couldn't get reservations elsewhere), Le Bistro and Cagneys (three times). That's $39 + $25 + $15 + $20 + $90 if I didn't have the UDP, so I SAVED $90. :D

October 2015: I paid $116.82 for UDP because I'm Latitudes Platinum. I can't eat for free at Cirque Dreams or Cagney's. So, I will have one dinner at Teppanyaki and six dinners at Le Bistro or Moderno. That's $25 + $120 if I didn't have the UDP, so I SAVED $28.18. :mad:

That means I saved $4 on each meal, or basically I paid full price for the specialty dining. So for me, NCL just killed UDP. The solo cabins are still a value, but dining is not. Back to the MDR for me.

Has the op made any further comments since the first post? I have not noticed - just trying to keep up.

The OP has been active about this cruise on the Gem answering questions about ports of call.

NCL pre-cruise concierge will start answering calls at 9 AM Monday.

Initially I was going to call and confirm but I'll sit back and see what shakes out. We will be in the Haven and exceptions may be made for this teir of passenger. I do know that when I talked to a pre-concierge (whose name I have but will not post) about booking Cagneys I was informed that only about 30 -40 % of [Cagney?] reservations are available for pre-booking. The rest are held back for booking on ship. We "would have no problem reserving a table at Cagneys the morning we choose to dine there for dinner".

This is a bucket list cruise. Will the change bother me? Yes. Will it ruin the cruise? No. Will I fuss about a Cagney charge prior to disembarking? Yes I will. If I decide not to return to NCL I have nothing to lose. More experiences left on the list to see and do.

Edited by KaralotStables
Correct speling

As a solo sailor, I will cancel the UDP (which I paid for, not a promo) on my October Epic cruise and I won't buy it again. The math just doesn't work, and I prefer to eat in Cagney's more than any other restaurant. Here's an example from real life, Mr. Del Rio:

December 2014 on Epic I paid $99 for UDP because I'm Latitudes Platinum. I ate in Cirque Dreams, Teppanyaki, La Cucina (because I couldn't get reservations elsewhere), Le Bistro and Cagneys (three times). That's $39 + $25 + $15 + $20 + $90 if I didn't have the UDP, so I SAVED $90. :D

October 2015: I paid $116.82 for UDP because I'm Latitudes Platinum. I can't eat for free at Cirque Dreams or Cagney's. So, I will have one dinner at Teppanyaki and six dinners at Le Bistro or Moderno. That's $25 + $120 if I didn't have the UDP, so I SAVED $28.18. :mad:

That means I saved $4 on each meal, or basically I paid full price for the specialty dining. So for me, NCL just killed UDP. The solo cabins are still a value, but dining is not. Back to the MDR for me.

Next up. Discount for dining at the MDR only $5.95 of course the Manhattan dining room will be $10.95 because of dancing and music.

All of the recent changes I think amount to way more than $50 per passenger.

That would only be the case if every passenger buys the UDP, yet the specialty restaurants would have cost them less if they paid as they went to each, if every passenger didn't pre-pay the gratuities when they were $12 a day, if every passenger that has the UDP now pays to go to the dinner show the first night on BA and GA, if every passenger uses room service with the delivery fee, etc. I doubt every single passenger is purchasing all the extras. My opinion is that with all these new extra fees, it will AVERAGE to $50 more per person across the cruise line.