Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

A few months ago I posted a thread about booking very far in advance and whether people worried with all the current changes if that would be a mistake by the time we booked. Everyone then said no, because of the way that we had booked and gotten such a good fare. But as it currently looks, there will be so many changes by January 2017 that a good fare would not necessarily make up for the difference. At this point we are looking to switching to carnivals newest ship for significantly less.

It simply amazes me, after all that has gone here over the past weeks, that anyone would even think such an underhanded move by NCL would be "speculation". :eek::rolleyes:

This is speculation until it's confirmed. Anyone can now come to CC and say they heard *something* and everyone here believes it.

Its interesting this is heard from the hotel manager, not anyone in food services. Or does the hotel manager head up that department? We are believing three things 1) that the OP is accurate and the hotel manager said exactly that and not something similar (or didn't say anything at all similar); 2) that the hotel manager knows the planned changes to a department he doesn't manage and 3) that the hotel manager correctly interpreted the change even if there is one.

I'm not saying that its now NCL's fault. They are allowing this to happen by not communicating better. They need to get a handle on their communication and start firing people, including that hotel manager if he said this and it is untrue.

I'm sure the two suggestions you made have something to do with it, and I'll add a third. And this is something we've been guilty of at Le Bistro (never been to Cagney's yet, might or might not keep our reservation there in July depending on what happens). People going to Cagney's and ordering several appetizers, several side dishes, and desserts. And because it is just so much food, they taste a little of each and some inevitably goes to waste. I'm sure there are some who order ALL the apps, sides and desserts to try (we've never done that but I'm sure it exists), and that would equate to even more waste. Perhaps NCL is trying to figure out a way to have more control over this.

I've been thinking a little about this whole thing today. I wouldn't mind seeing NCL have an a la carte menu as well as including a price-fixe option for a 3-course dinner where you get to choose one appetizer, one entree with your choice of side dish (or maybe two side dishes) and one dessert per person. And order anything additional at the a la carte price, or go with a la carte altogether if you would prefer. I don't think that would be a bad thing and I would still go there on our July cruise if they did something like this. It wouldn't bother me.

Your idea has merit, but if waste is a consideration, it would also be a problem in the MDR's and the buffet.

This is speculation until it's confirmed. Anyone can now come to CC and say they heard *something* and everyone here believes it.

Its interesting this is heard from the hotel manager, not anyone in food services. Or does the hotel manager head up that department? We are believing three things 1) that the OP is accurate and the hotel manager said exactly that and not something similar (or didn't say anything at all similar); 2) that the hotel manager knows the planned changes to a department he doesn't manage and 3) that the hotel manager correctly interpreted the change even if there is one.

I'm not saying that its now NCL's fault. They are allowing this to happen by not communicating better. They need to get a handle on their communication and start firing people, including that hotel manager if he said this and it is untrue.

I guess you didn't see this before. It confirms IMHO what's going on. Add in the fact not being able to make reservation after June and everything else we ever heard as a rumor here on cc has come to fruition. I'm taking it as a fact you can do with as you please.

image.jpg.7800d85aede0a34f7fe857db4f434e12.jpg

The hotel director/manager is responsible for everything nside the ship except the navigation and operation.

Now that NCL is public, making money for shareholders comes in a variety of possible scenarios. The stock is way up and their market cap is way below Carnival. I would not be shocked if the CEO would be positioning NCL for a takeover. Stockholders love mergers of huge companies.

At a latitudes meet on board the Breakaway last fall, it was announced that NCL will take over Oceania Cruises.

On our last Caribbean cruise in February 2015 Breakaway, we had the unlimited Dining package. In Cagneys , I requested a 2nd entree , and I was told

I would have to pay $10 extra . This was a change in policy from when I was on board when the ship came out. They pushed an extra steak on us.

I declined , that night they were serving steak in the Manhattan Room

I think you are right on the money and I really like the price-fixed option for 3 courses and everything else is ala carte.

Thank you! Every now and then I come up with a good one. ;)

Your idea has merit, but if waste is a consideration, it would also be a problem in the MDR's and the buffet.

Good point, although I've seen this much more in the buffet than in the MDR. Of course I'm no expert and this is just from my own personal observations. But also keep in mind that the food in specialty restaurants is supposedly more upscale than the MDR and buffet. Therefore, wasting that food, or (more likely) having customers order however many appetizers, side dishes and desserts as they wish is a much bigger deal to NCL than in the MDR or buffet.

FootballParent, thanks for posting that thumbnail again. I could not find it when I was searching for it. Do you know where we could see this online?

I know it will be available on May 1st, but I was interested in seeing what is attached to this new promo.

FootballParent, thanks for posting that thumbnail again. I could not find it when I was searching for it. Do you know where we could see this online?

I know it will be available on May 1st, but I was interested in seeing what is attached to this new promo.

I think it was from a TA

I've been thinking a little about this whole thing today. I wouldn't mind seeing NCL have an a la carte menu as well as including a price-fixe option for a 3-course dinner where you get to choose one appetizer, one entree with your choice of side dish (or maybe two side dishes) and one dessert per person. And order anything additional at the a la carte price, or go with a la carte altogether if you would prefer. I don't think that would be a bad thing and I would still go there on our July cruise if they did something like this. It wouldn't bother me.

The idea is a good one in theory but not likely to go over well with the NCL clientele. This type of set up already exists on the newer ships with Ocean Blue. That venue sits near empty on many nights and they have tried bringing the price down in order to fill it. I believe it is currently at $29.95. It seems like NCL passengers do not like à la carte dining. Look at the noodle bars, another under utilized venue, so much so that they have made them complementary and stopped serving lunch.

Rochelle

I am the OP and have been away at a family function most of the day. I have read the preceding posts and my only purpose was to give my fellow cruise critic cruisers a "heads up" regarding the changes to Cagneys --Starting in June. As I said in my original post this was told to me and a few others after a question and answer session on the Gem the day before we arrived back in port. At this session there was the Captain, the Chief Engineer, the Hotel Director and the Head Chef. Those of you that have cruised with NCL know that they have these sessions during the cruise. After the formal questions, the officers left and the HD stayed and chatted with a few of us for additional questions. I believe the HD was just told by corporate office about the proposed a la carte changes in Cagneys. That is all I know about this at this time. I would think and hope that it would be officially announced soon and any info that is asked to PCCs, TAs, at this time would not be the current info as this development is too new. Hope that helps a few of you that doubt my report. We all must be patient while these changes go through the channels of PR. Carol

NCL has sold or promo'd the UDP to a lot of cruisers. I was wondering how NCL could accommodate all of the cruisers with the UDP who wanted Cagneys for at least 2 dinner meals? I wonder if they promised more than can be delivered.

Thanks Johnny, you are bringing forth news that you heard and now we can be watching to see what NCL is going to do.

I am the OP and have been away at a family function most of the day. I have read the preceding posts and my only purpose was to give my fellow cruise critic cruisers a "heads up" regarding the changes to Cagneys --Starting in June. As I said in my original post this was told to me and a few others after a question and answer session on the Gem the day before we arrived back in port. At this session there was the Captain, the Chief Engineer, the Hotel Director and the Head Chef. Those of you that have cruised with NCL know that they have these sessions during the cruise. After the formal questions, the officers left and the HD stayed and chatted with a few of us for additional questions. I believe the HD was just told by corporate office about the proposed a la carte changes in Cagneys. That is all I know about this at this time. I would think and hope that it would be officially announced soon and any info that is asked to PCCs, TAs, at this time would not be the current info as this development is too new. Hope that helps a few of you that doubt my report. We all must be patient while these changes go through the channels of PR. Carol

I guess you didn't see this before. It confirms IMHO what's going on. Add in the fact not being able to make reservation after June and everything else we ever heard as a rumor here on cc has come to fruition. I'm taking it as a fact you can do with as you please.

A little common sense goes a long way ;)

... Thanks Johnny, you are bringing forth news that you heard and now we can be watching to see what NCL is going to do.
+1 ... << Like >>

NJJ/Carol deserved our thanks & not being called out - FootballParent and the info on the other social media site are further "circumstantial" evidence, it's more than enough for me to set forth the alert, "hey, heads-up" & they aren't the selfish ones.

We've NOT been kind & considerate to others lately who came forth either while they're still on the cruise or shortly after they got off.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIP4q_7pwgipdHIsVHM0at8bJpzaTGWcX2dZEsTswtStEZiugd

Edited by mking8288

With computers, anything is possible.

And even "easy" to a programmer!

I completely agree with you that from a programming aspect it would not be difficult to identify who had placed a deposit prior to any formal announcement. I was thinking about the practicality of having multiple parties in the same dining group with some grandfathered and others who are not, or just to educate people who were not grandfathered in why they have to pay a la carte while others do not.

The vast majority of passengers never visit any kind of cruise forum or keep up to date with policy changes and would be completely befuddled by this causing restaurant staff and guest services having to deal with informing them where if everyone was a la carte it would be a lot simpler to explain.

I completely agree with you that from a programming aspect it would not be difficult to identify who had placed a deposit prior to any formal announcement. I was thinking about the practicality of having multiple parties in the same dining group with some grandfathered and others who are not, or just to educate people who were not grandfathered in why they have to pay a la carte while others do not.

The vast majority of passengers never visit any kind of cruise forum or keep up to date with policy changes and would be completely befuddled by this causing restaurant staff and guest services having to deal with informing them where if everyone was a la carte it would be a lot simpler to explain.

I didn't read a cruise forum before this weekend but even I can understand a waiter saying "If you booked before such and such date it was a flat cover charge; if you booked after the date it is a la carte".

Seems pretty easy to get for me. No complete befuddlement here.

I've dealt with some pretty basic software databases that could sort it out PDQ.

Waiting for an official announcement, but if Cagneys is out of UDP / a la carte I'll cancel our plan.

Ok... Did anybody actually LOOK at the terms and conditions of the UDP on the NCL website??? It looks like it is changing to prepare for the launch of the Breakaway Plus class. I just looked at it, and NO WHERE does it say Cagney's is being removed, but that several of the specialties on the BA+ class are not included. ImageUploadedByForums1430103817.920858.jpg.5c1d0d24549c08004a7b88a12e6e6fc7.jpg Remember, the BA+ class launches in October, and this would give ample notice for those sailing on her what to expect.

Edited by UPNYGuy

I, sorry if that looks blurry...it is a screenshot on my iPad. The link is https://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

This is the verbiage...

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Pizza 24/7 and Gelato are not part of the package.

Edited by UPNYGuy

Posted that on page one as well. Personally, Cagney's is not make or break for me. I do love the meals there though. That said, I'm still gonna enjoy my future cruises whether they include Cagney's or not.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

Providing the OP wasn't told of this proposed change in confidence it sounds like NCL management need to rein in their onboard teams.

In most other business's there is an embargo on talking about changes like this until a certain date when it's publicly released and customer service staff are briefed on the influx of ensuing questions.

As the saying goes "loose lips sink ships" .. Very apt.. :eek: