Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

That's good news for us since we don't buy the UDP and I thought $30 for the cover charge at Cagney's on the Epic was a bit steep considering that the steak I had was a disappointment (why can't chefs cook a steak medium well when asked for?). If they do go a la carte, we may give Cagney's a second chance on the Escape.

That's good news for us since we don't buy the UDP and I thought $30 for the cover charge at Cagney's on the Epic was a bit steep considering that the steak I had was a disappointment (why can't chefs cook a steak medium well when asked for?). If they do go a la carte, we may give Cagney's a second chance on the Escape.

I'm willing to bet that if it goes a la carte, a meal will cost more that $30 pp.

I firmly believe NCL or any other cruise line has every right to make any changes they feel are necessary. I also don't believe "grandfathering" in some customers would be nearly as easy as some here believe so although it does not seem fair I could understand why they would not do so.

Having said that, if what the OP said is true and NCL switches Cagney's to a la carte right after spending months running a promotion that offers the ultimate dining package as an incentive that's just wrong. If they were offering it as part of an incentive for cruises past June while knowing that it would not be included or at least not in its current form I don't see how anyone can really defend this.

I will be disappointed if this is true and NCL does not do something to compensate those who purchased their cruise with the UDP as an incentive but it will not stop me from wanting to cruise with NCL in the future because in spite of recent changes I still think their cruises are often still a great value compared to other lines.

I firmly believe NCL or any other cruise line has every right to make any changes they feel are necessary. I also don't believe "grandfathering" in some customers would be nearly as easy as some here believe so although it does not seem fair I could understand why they would not do so.

Having said that, if what the OP said is true and NCL switches Cagney's to a la carte right after spending months running a promotion that offers the ultimate dining package as an incentive that's just wrong. If they were offering it as part of an incentive for cruises past June while knowing that it would not be included or at least not in its current form I don't see how anyone can really defend this.

I will be disappointed if this is true and NCL does not do something to compensate those who purchased their cruise with the UDP as an incentive but it will not stop me from wanting to cruise with NCL in the future because in spite of recent changes I still think their cruises are often still a great value compared to other lines.

Be very careful what you say, you may be attacked for not showing utter disdain and contempt toward NCL.

With computers, anything is possible.

And even "easy" to a programmer!

Be very careful what you say, you may be attacked for not showing utter disdain and contempt toward NCL.

Don't be foolish. I've seen no one "attacked for not showing utter disdain and contempt toward NCL."

What I have seen is plenty of folks voicing their opinions and being hit with one-liners from people like you with nothing of substance to contribute.

Please try harder to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

If you took a look at the SEC filings for the cruise lines Del Rio (AKA Apolo and Genting) sold to NCL, it would probably scare you. The upscale brands showed losses for the last three years.

Also, how many of the "upscale" brands are still operating as stand alone companies ??

Now that NCL is public, making money for shareholders comes in a variety of possible scenarios. The stock is way up and their market cap is way below Carnival. I would not be shocked if the CEO would be positioning NCL for a takeover. Stockholders love mergers of huge companies.

Now that NCL is public, making money for shareholders comes in a variety of possible scenarios. The stock is way up and their market cap is way below Carnival. I would not be shocked if the CEO would be positioning NCL for a takeover. Stockholders love mergers of huge companies.

I would think anyone considering a takeover would be deterred by the massive debt that NCL has accumulated.

Also, don't overlook the fact that Apollo and Genting still own a large part of NCL.

Edited by swedish weave

Are you suggesting Carnival Corporation could be eyeing NCL?

I would think anyone considering a takeover would be deterred by the massive debt that NCL has accumulated.

Stockholders have no issues with it. They are at $51 per share. As long as you can manage your debt with working capital, no problem. FDR is showing the world how it can be done...at the expense of customers.

Fact or speculation? Time will tell, until I hear it from the top of NCL I am not going to get excited about it.

It simply amazes me, after all that has gone here over the past weeks, that anyone would even think such an underhanded move by NCL would be "speculation". :eek::rolleyes:

I would like to ask you a serious question. Do you think that I have disdain and contempt towards NCL?

If you do you are highly mistaken. I do not like the changes they are making these past couple of months in fact I hate how they do it with no notification. Doesn't mean I hate NCL as a whole. If I truly did trust me I would not be cruising on NCL. I have 3 cruises booked over the next year. All NCL. I have comps for carnival and am not planning on using them. I may change my mind but right now no. So I really hope I'm not one of them who you are directing your comments to because sometimes I do

Geri

I think we need to know more about the losses.

If the upscale business module is losing money with passenger capacities of 5,236 (Oceania- 6 ships) and 2550 (Regent - 4 ships) how can they possibly think they can make it work with 38,684 passengers spread among 14 ships on NCL?

The two lines combined are only 20% the size of NCL. The vast majority of the NCL demographic are nothing like that of Oceania and Regent. You cannot make those people into something they are not. You have to appreciate both for what they are and work with that accordingly.

NCL's new upper management could benefit from having a look at how Carnival Corporation runs their operation. They own many cruise lines and each operates somewhat differently and attract their own share of the market. They absolutely do not try to make them all the same and understand that each cruise line appeals to their customer base for different reasons.

NCL passengers are not those of Oceania and Regent, if they were they would have already been cruising on those lines.

Rochelle

I still have not voted my NCL proxy...does anyone know if the nominated board are all "new regime"?

You may be able to track some of them on Wiki. I don't own NCL stock, so I don't know any of the names. Google may also give you a trail. You could see some history with Genting or Apollo for some of them since those are the big players in NCL holdings.

Edited by swedish weave

I wonder whether they are just reconfiguring the UDP package to eliminate 1) gluttons who think it is fine to eat two full dinners in two different specialty restaurants on multiple nights (and there are lots of them, including some of our piggy family members, much to my mortification) 2) many of us who preferred cagneys over the other choices who ate there 3 or 4 times, and chose teppynaiki or le bistro on the other nights causing the cost of the package to NCL to be far higher than anticipated.

I wouldn't think it unreasonable if the UDP was tinkered with to give you a dollar amount credit that could be used however you deemed fit, I.e., sushi, or cagneys, or le bistro, or illusion show etc. Given the May promotion, Referencing a credit, I wonder if that is where they are headed? As long as the credit was enough to allow me to eat in each restaurant at least once each, I think that would be a reasonable change, as long as they told you before you boarded.

Terry

I would like to ask you a serious question. Do you think that I have disdain and contempt towards NCL?

If you do you are highly mistaken. I do not like the changes they are making these past couple of months in fact I hate how they do it with no notification. Doesn't mean I hate NCL as a whole. If I truly did trust me I would not be cruising on NCL. I have 3 cruises booked over the next year. All NCL. I have comps for carnival and am not planning on using them. I may change my mind but right now no. So I really hope I'm not one of them who you are directing your comments to because sometimes I do

Geri

Nope, not you. Just read the post above yours that I quoted.

This whole thread is predicated on a comment by someone that has not come back to boo. And now we have a scheduled implementation timeframe purely on speculation.

Edited by Beaver1975

Hope, not you. Just read the post above yours that I quoted.

This whole thread is predicated on a comment by someone that has not come back to boo. And now we have a scheduled implementation timeframe purely on speculation.

Thinking you might need an aspirin pretty soon! LOL!

I wonder whether they are just reconfiguring the UDP package to eliminate 1) gluttons who think it is fine to eat two full dinners in two different specialty restaurants on multiple nights (and there are lots of them, including some of our piggy family members, much to my mortification) 2) many of us who preferred cagneys over the other choices who ate there 3 or 4 times, and chose teppynaiki or le bistro on the other nights causing the cost of the package to NCL to be far higher than anticipated.

I wouldn't think it unreasonable if the UDP was tinkered with to give you a dollar amount credit that could be used however you deemed fit, I.e., sushi, or cagneys, or le bistro, or illusion show etc. Given the May promotion, Referencing a credit, I wonder if that is where they are headed? As long as the credit was enough to allow me to eat in each restaurant at least once each, I think that would be a reasonable change, as long as they told you before you boarded.

Terry

I'm sure the two suggestions you made have something to do with it, and I'll add a third. And this is something we've been guilty of at Le Bistro (never been to Cagney's yet, might or might not keep our reservation there in July depending on what happens). People going to Cagney's and ordering several appetizers, several side dishes, and desserts. And because it is just so much food, they taste a little of each and some inevitably goes to waste. I'm sure there are some who order ALL the apps, sides and desserts to try (we've never done that but I'm sure it exists), and that would equate to even more waste. Perhaps NCL is trying to figure out a way to have more control over this.

I've been thinking a little about this whole thing today. I wouldn't mind seeing NCL have an a la carte menu as well as including a price-fixe option for a 3-course dinner where you get to choose one appetizer, one entree with your choice of side dish (or maybe two side dishes) and one dessert per person. And order anything additional at the a la carte price, or go with a la carte altogether if you would prefer. I don't think that would be a bad thing and I would still go there on our July cruise if they did something like this. It wouldn't bother me.

If a meal at Cagney's costs more than $30 a la carte, then forget it. We'll just continue to eat in the dining rooms. We don't necessarily care for the specialty restaurants when the food in the dining rooms has always been much to our liking. I'd rather spend my money on a nice cocktail, although we did choose the UBP as the incentive for signing up for the Escape in December.

Edited by Diver2014

If a meal at Cagney's costs more than $30 a la carte, then forget it. We'll just continue to eat in the dining rooms. We don't necessarily care for the specialty restaurants when the food in the dining rooms has always been much to our liking. I'd rather spend my money on a nice cocktail, although we did choose the UBP as the incentive for signing up for the Escape in December.

We enjoy the MDR for dinner as well, and we always have enjoyed it. DH and I do love Le Bistro though and are returning there for a date night on our July cruise. But we've never been to Cagney's and have been looking forward to finally trying it. Cagney's doesn't make or break a cruise though.

I just hope NCL doesn't go the same route as many all-inclusive resorts and have only the buffet as the included dining in the cruise fare. That would drive me away.

I'm sure the two suggestions you made have something to do with it, and I'll add a third. And this is something we've been guilty of at Le Bistro (never been to Cagney's yet, might or might not keep our reservation there in July depending on what happens). People going to Cagney's and ordering several appetizers, several side dishes, and desserts. And because it is just so much food, they taste a little of each and some inevitably goes to waste. I'm sure there are some who order ALL the apps, sides and desserts to try (we've never done that but I'm sure it exists), and that would equate to even more waste. Perhaps NCL is trying to figure out a way to have more control over this.

I've been thinking a little about this whole thing today. I wouldn't mind seeing NCL have an a la carte menu as well as including a price-fixe option for a 3-course dinner where you get to choose one appetizer, one entree with your choice of side dish (or maybe two side dishes) and one dessert per person. And order anything additional at the a la carte price, or go with a la carte altogether if you would prefer. I don't think that would be a bad thing and I would still go there on our July cruise if they did something like this. It wouldn't bother me.

I think you are right on the money and I really like the price-fixed option for 3 courses and everything else is ala carte.