Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

Let see, you think that punishing the staff is the best solution. First of all the crew has a contract and has to stay through it, so you will actually only be punishing the crew and passengers, not the company. Secondly, there will always be another person to take that leaving crew member's position (especially when you consider the average salary for all jobs is $850 a month in the Philippines). Thirdly, even if a few removed their DSC, there are still a lot of others, like me, who will pay it, so the company probably wouldn't feel it.

There is only one way to punish the company and that is not to sail with them.

No one is here is speaking of reducing or removing the DSC in order to punish the crew. I have never touched the DSC on any of my cruises but I can certainly understand why people lately might be thinking this is their most viable option. NCL has put customers in this position because of the changes they have made to what the customer has booked.

The crew is not the employee of the customer. The crew are employees of the cruise line. The guest is a customer of the cruise line. It is the cruise lines responsibility to keep both their guests and employees happy. If the cruise line did something to make their employees unhappy and things changed that affected the guests it is the employers responsibility to set things straight. We need to stop blaming our fellow passengers for doing what they think needs to be done and go to the source of the problem which in this case is the cruise line and all these unannounced changes they are making. If it happens that these changes and consequential adjustments affects the employee it is the cruise lines job to find the cause of this and fix it. If the cause is upset guests then NCL need to find ways to stop upsetting their passengers.

I disagree with your statement that the only way to punish the company is not to sail with them. There are several people who have posted here that this is the option they have chosen and it also makes sense for those looking to book in the future. For those already booked and most affected by all of these recent changes, if we do not sail with NCL someone else will. Perhaps in the long term if enough people refuse to sail it will make it harder for the company to fill their ships.

In my opinion the best way to 'punish' the company or as I prefer to call it 'get them to take notice', is to still sail with them but to make a conscious effort to reduce or keep your onboard spending to a minimum. It has been well reported that this is where cruise lines make their profit. So if we spend less on board the ship they will make less money. Since just about everything they have done in terms of change we would be hitting them where it hurts most.

I am not saying that people need to stop doing the things they enjoy but to cut back and spend less. Have your hair done, that massage or pedicure at home before you leave for your trip. Purchase less pictures. Shop on shore rather than in the ships stores. Gamble less. Look at private or DIY excursions instead of booking on the ship. There are lots of ways to keep more money in your own pocket and keep it out of NCL's.

These are our vacations and we should be enjoying them and we should not have to feel like we are depriving ourselves because of the recent changes made by the cruise line. But if we can we make changes, whether big or small to the onboard extras, we can have an affect on the cruise line. Every dollar we don't spend on board the ship is a dollar less they make in profit.

Rochelle

Just had a reply from NCL on social media. They claim it's still part of the UDP.

So either someone is lying or the HD on Gem has jumped the gun! Or the customer services agents haven't been told yet!

Lol. Suggest we need NCL public relations to post here please!

Just had a reply from NCL on social media. They claim it's still part of the UDP.

So either someone is lying or the HD on Gem has jumped the gun! Or the customer services agents haven't been told yet!

I agree with the above poster. They said the same in terms of the room service charge as well. Unless it is official you will not get anything out of NCL on FB. They do though notice all the comments when the room service blow up occurred and the FB page was over run with comments they were not long quickly going back and deleting them all.

Rochelle

Not exactly sure of what I would do if I were Norwegian and felt Cagney's was being overutilized (which I do not know, this is based on hypothesis others may have on this thread).

Some possible ways I could handle it: as one poster said that is happening in England, change the name to Specialty Dining Plan. The next step would be to limit the plan to one visit per location per cruise segment, thus taking unlimited out of the name.

Change to a fee based model for x months at prices below the current $30.00 cover charge to mollify existing customers and then raise the prices to what the market can bear.

Grandfather all deposits on file as of midnight xx/xx/xxxx and institute something totally new in concept.

Any of these are viable and given the different name for the program in Britain I would bet #1.

I really think they are playing games as they transition the line to an upscale all inclusive line. This is pretty much what FDR said when he took over.

No one is here is speaking of reducing or removing the DSC in order to punish the crew. I have never touched the DSC on any of my cruises but I can certainly understand why people lately might be thinking this is their most viable option. NCL has put customers in this position because of the changes they have made to what the customer has booked. Note this comment that was made by another poster: punishing the staff for the company's change in service might be the best solution to having the company rethink how it's treating it's customers.

The crew is not the employee of the customer. The crew are employees of the cruise line. The guest is a customer of the cruise line. It is the cruise lines responsibility to keep both their guests and employees happy. If the cruise line did something to make their employees unhappy and things changed that affected the guests it is the employers responsibility to set things straight. We need to stop blaming our fellow passengers for doing what they think needs to be done and go to the source of the problem which in this case is the cruise line and all these unannounced changes they are making. If it happens that these changes and consequential adjustments affects the employee it is the cruise lines job to find the cause of this and fix it. If the cause is upset guests then NCL need to find ways to stop upsetting their passengers. The changes that NCL is making is not making the employees unhappy, it is the passengers who would reduce their DSC that would be making them unhappy. As I've said before, it is no one's business what someone else does with their DSC. Going to the source of the problem, is going to the cruise line, not their employees who have no decision making power whatsoever. Do you really think that a Room Steward is not going to do their job, because some have reduced or removed their DSC? No they won't because they are also working for additional tips. Do you really think that the Room Stewards are going to voice their displeasure to management about the recent changes and say that they think that is why they are making a bit less? No, of course they wouldn't. Do you really think that if a few reduce or remove the DSC, NCL is going to change their mind...no, they will probably just blame the passengers for the employees reduction in salary and if you think about it, they are right.

I disagree with your statement that the only way to punish the company is not to sail with them. There are several people who have posted here that this is the option they have chosen and it also makes sense for those looking to book in the future. For those already booked and most affected by all of these recent changes, if we do not sail with NCL someone else will. Perhaps in the long term if enough people refuse to sail it will make it harder for the company to fill their ships. You have your opinion and I have mine and I think the only way to get your issue across to a company is to stop using them. With all the complaints on here and Facebook, as well as those that have said they wrote letters/emails, NCL has not backed down on any of the changes. One can argue that the coffee and Danish is because of Cruise Critic and Facebook, but I believe it had more to do with the customers onboard the two ships.

In my opinion the best way to 'punish' the company or as I prefer to call it 'get them to take notice', is to still sail with them but to make a conscious effort to reduce or keep your onboard spending to a minimum. It has been well reported that this is where cruise lines make their profit. So if we spend less on board the ship they will make less money. Since just about everything they have done in terms of change we would be hitting them where it hurts most. Your opinion and I respect it, but I have a totally different opinion, because I don't believe many folks will do as you suggest. It is one thing to say it on a forum, but different when you are actually on a ship and want to do or have the things that cost extra.

I am not saying that people need to stop doing the things they enjoy but to cut back and spend less. Have your hair done, that massage or pedicure at home before you leave for your trip. Purchase less pictures. Shop on shore rather than in the ships stores. Gamble less. Look at private or DIY excursions instead of booking on the ship. There are lots of ways to keep more money in your own pocket and keep it out of NCL's.

These are our vacations and we should be enjoying them and we should not have to feel like we are depriving ourselves because of the recent changes made by the cruise line. But if we can we make changes, whether big or small to the onboard extras, we can have an affect on the cruise line. Every dollar we don't spend on board the ship is a dollar less they make in profit. And there in lies the reason why your suggestion won't work for the majority of cruisers.

Rochelle

Guess we see things totally different, but that is a good thing, because if we all saw things the same, it would be a real boring world.

And they're telling the truth! It won't change until June or July. Did you ask them that?

Harriet

I asked them will be it be going a la carte or remaining in the UDP.

We'll see. With a lot of these changes that people were reporting while ON the ship when we called NCL they knew nothing about it. Yet, it ended up being true. Only time will tell.

Harriet

We'll see. With a lot of these changes that people were reporting while ON the ship when we called NCL they knew nothing about it. Yet, it ended up being true. Only time will tell.

Harriet

Yep. I think it's most likely safest bet for future bookings to take the OBC to spend accordingly ..

Weren't most of their public relations department laid off?

I really think they are playing games as they transition the line to an upscale all inclusive line. This is pretty much what FDR said when he took over.

The line has become less and less inclusive every week. The way it's heading everything is going to eventually be a la carte pricing with nothing but the transportation to ports actually included as part of the fare.

I'll let some of you carry on bitching at each other and i'll give you my opinion on what will happen (for what its worth!)

As part of the Norwegian Next program the Cagneys cover charge will reduce to $20 to bring closer in line with other venues.... This will in turn reduce reservations from people just because they think its better than everything else, booking it for no other reason but to to maximise value on their package. Human nature is to assume the most expensive is the best.

The menu will change to reflect this and additional al a carte items will indeed be available for a supplement.

The line has become less and less inclusive every week. The way it's heading everything is going to eventually be a la carte pricing with nothing but the transportation to ports actually included as part of the fare.

I would beg to differ. They, along with X have injected free drinks, free specialty restaurants etc. into the public conscience. They have made some venues free. When FDR became CEO he said this "“I come from the upscale brand, so if anything we’re going to be looking to always improve upon all our products and perhaps Norwegian will benefit most from a new perspective in how to deliver an upscale product to its consumers,” he said. “It’s all good for Oceania and Regent customers who can be confident that the product that they have learned to love over the years will stay intact. And on the Norwegian side, there’s the promise and prospect that that product will improve tremendously to new levels.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article5681874.html#storylink=cpy

It sounds like to me he wants to make this line into one of those lines.

I'll let some of you carry on bitching at each other and i'll give you my opinion on what will happen (for what its worth!)

As part of the Norwegian Next program the Cagneys cover charge will reduce to $20 to bring closer in line with other venues.... This will in turn reduce reservations from people just because they think its better than everything else, booking it for no other reason but to to maximise value on their package. Human nature is to assume the most expensive is the best.

The menu will change to reflect this and additional al a carte items will indeed be available for a supplement.

I for one would love that change. That's how it use to be, $20 cover and $10 for all the lobster (yeah they were halves but I could do about 3 sets[emoji12]) you wanted and another $10 for the king crab legs. They also didn't have a UDP.

So the big question is what is NCL going to do with the pax that booked with the UDP promo?

I for one would love that change. That's how it use to be, $20 cover and $10 for all the lobster (yeah they were halves but I could do about 3 sets[emoji12]) you wanted and another $10 for the king crab legs. They also didn't have a UDP.

So the big question is what is NCL going to do with the pax that booked with the UDP promo?

I forgot to add that it would remain in the UDP at the lower cost in the new revised format.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on what I saw on my last couple of cruises (folks ordering 2 or 3 appetizers and a couple of other sides per person), it would be smart to have the base menu, but also have the items listed ala cart, for those that want more than one appetizer or side, etc.

Not exactly sure of what I would do if I were Norwegian and felt Cagney's was being overutilized (which I do not know, this is based on hypothesis others may have on this thread).

Some possible ways I could handle it: as one poster said that is happening in England, change the name to Specialty Dining Plan. The next step would be to limit the plan to one visit per location per cruise segment, thus taking unlimited out of the name.

It was never called an "unllimited" plan. Rather, it is the "ultimate" dining plan, so I don't think a name change is relevant or necessary here.. If, in fact, the problem is overbooking at Cagney's, then I think your solution of limiting the number of visits to a given venue makes sense (I think two max on a 7 night cruise would be a fair limit). This helps alleviate the problem of over-crowding without taking away the choice entirely.

Based on what I saw on my last couple of cruises (folks ordering 2 or 3 appetizers and a couple of other sides per person), it would be smart to have the base menu, but also have the items listed ala cart, for those that want more than one appetizer or side, etc.

Ok, it's was on the Pearl right, I confess between the mac n cheese and fries, they were so good, I'm guilty!

Change to a fee based model for x months at prices below the current $30.00 cover charge to mollify existing customers and then raise the prices to what the market can bear.

Grandfather all deposits on file as of midnight xx/xx/xxxx and institute something totally new in concept.

Any of these are viable and given the different name for the program in Britain I would bet #1.

I really think they are playing games as they transition the line to an upscale all inclusive line. This is pretty much what FDR said when he took over.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have the right idea.

I am booked in June...and I have an amenity statement saying I have a dinner at Cagney's and bottle of wine (stockholders)....I expect to get it. ;)

Should be interesting.:rolleyes:

I would beg to differ. They, along with X have injected free drinks, free specialty restaurants etc. into the public conscience. They have made some venues free. When FDR became CEO he said this "“I come from the upscale brand, so if anything we’re going to be looking to always improve upon all our products and perhaps Norwegian will benefit most from a new perspective in how to deliver an upscale product to its consumers,” he said. “It’s all good for Oceania and Regent customers who can be confident that the product that they have learned to love over the years will stay intact. And on the Norwegian side, there’s the promise and prospect that that product will improve tremendously to new levels.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article5681874.html#storylink=cpy

It sounds like to me he wants to make this line into one of those lines.

If you took a look at the SEC filings for the cruise lines Del Rio (AKA Apolo and Genting) sold to NCL, it would probably scare you. The upscale brands showed losses for the last three years.

Also, how many of the "upscale" brands are still operating as stand alone companies ??

Edited by swedish weave