Spelling of keywords

vivi9909

Blaming the spellchecker or auto-correct is only for those too lazy to re-read what they wrote. A computer never takes away your ability to proofread before you hit the Submit button.

While this is true for most people, not everyone can spell well enough to proofread. I'm a decent speller, but one of my sons and one grandson just cannot spell, and it's not laziness or stupidity--they are both very bright but dyslexic and very, very right-brained.

After many hours of practice and tears with our son, I (a teacher) came to the realization that he just would not be a speller and gave up the fight. He still misspells even little words like 'was' (wuz)--but runs a very successful company and manages fine--as long as someone else checks his spelling!

Only if you have dealt with someone with a severe spelling disability can you realize what it's like. Until I accepted reality and decided D's on his spelling tests were good enough, we'd spend 10 hours a week studying spelling words, only to have him barely pass the test and be unable to spell the words a few days later.

Isn't that the truth! :rolleyes: ... :D

I appreciate people taking their time to post. Their grammar and spelling is of no concern to me. :)

LuLu

And this I am thankful for. Grammar and spelling has never been my strong point. Now that I rely on spell check it is worse. Sometime spell check will come back and say "What the heck are you trying to spell" :D

This thread has not degenerated far enough to allow me to address my bete noir. I'm hoping it does, as I really want to address my current pet peeve. :)

I don't really consider it a pet peeve anymore, I view it as a source of amusement.

I'm amazed this thread hasn't been closed though.

Here's a couple that always amuse me, dinning for dining, loose for lose. I could go on, actually I keep a list of common incorrectly spelled words on the internet.

FWIW, years ago I was on a spelling bee team, it came down to two teams and ours got Millennium for a word, we only put in one n, since then I've always known how to spell that word.

Like a post further up I'm amused at how many different ways the ships' names are spelled(spelt if you're outside the USA).

I don't really consider it a pet peeve anymore, I view it as a source of amusement.

Here's a couple that always amuse me, dinning for dining, loose for lose. I could go on, actually I keep a list of common incorrectly spelled words on the internet.

FWIW, years ago I was on a spelling bee team, it came down to two teams and ours got Millennium for a word, we only put in one n, since then I've always known how to spell that word.

Like a post further up I'm amused at how many different ways the ships' names are spelled(spelt if you're outside the USA).

That's O. K. Even Celebrity can't spell Millennium sometimes! :eek:

MillenniuminRoatan_zps7bf5009f.jpg

My all time favorite however is definite! I have never seen that word spelled so many different ways in my entire life. ;) I fully understand, and appreciate, the point the OP is trying to make.

F

Arrrgh Dinning! :eek: As a "bilingual" person who is happy with labour AND labor some posts just feel like running down a smooth pathway at noon and others feel like climbing across rocks at midnight. It's not rocket science people, spellcheck is supposed to be there to help you not mug you. It does matter, to anyone who cares about whatever variant of the English language they speak it DOES matter.I'm going to get beaten now I know... but that's how I feel :)

This thread has not degenerated far enough to allow me to address my bete noir. I'm hoping it does, as I really want to address my current pet peeve. :)

Oh, now you have to share.

I confess to being something of a spelling snob, but I try not to be.

I'm always humbled by predictive text though ... the time "ask him" became "Saskatchewan". I know I can turn it off, but my kids have learned to look at me with indulgent amusement because of it. And I kinda like that. :D

I'm always humbled by predictive text though ... the time "ask him" became "Saskatchewan". I know I can turn it off, but my kids have learned to look at me with indulgent amusement because of it. And I kinda like that. :D

For a real laugh....use Google Voice "voice to text" to answer your phone. Some of the transcriptions are hilarious.

I loose the will to live when reading about dinning questions (especially regarding deserts). Stewart seems to keep appearing as well. (sic)

Why are people asking about noisy things in sandy places in a cruise forum?:confused:

Edited by SteveH2508

You get people who appear to be native English speakers who can not spell, can not punctuate, have no idea whether the first letter of a word should be upper or lower case, and are totally incapable of constructing a literate English sentence. Don't get me started on their failure to paragraph posts properly so they end up creating a 100 line single paragraph response.

I do make occasional typing errors on my posts which I may miss in my proofreading but I do try not to make too many errors.

However, I refrain from commenting on these problems in specific posts as I do not want to be banned.

Would it be possible to add a spell checker and grammar checker to CC?

DON

One of the reasons I use firefox is the built-in spell check. I'm usually cautious about spell check since I had a near fiasco several years ago. I made an error at work and my manager told me to email her an apology that she would forward to the judge (I work for a court.) Of course I used spell check and changed any problem word to the "suggested" word. She emailed me back and suggested I re-read it. Because I can't spell inconvenience, the suggested word that I accepted without reading was incontinent, which completely changed the meaning of "I apologize for any inconvenience I may have cause." Interestingly enough, I can spell incontinent.

I chose to accept the original post in the spirit intended. I didn't see it as belittling poor spellers (poor typists, dyslexics, whomever) at all. I just saw the post as cautionary that if you misspell key words, your posts may not show up in correctly spelled searches. It might just be me, but if I spend a long time writing a detailed review of my tour of the Roman Colosseum (Coliseum), I really want others to read it. In that case, I'd probably make an effort to spell the word in a manner that is easily searchable, i.e., not spell it collisium or however my brain/fingers want to spell it.

That said, some of my best buys on eBay (back in the day) were by searching for items using misspellings. At one time I collected "Organdie" china. I found many an auction listing languishing because the auction was selling "Organdy" china.

I chose to accept the original post in the spirit intended. I didn't see it as belittling poor spellers (poor typists, dyslexics, whomever) at all. I just saw the post as cautionary that if you misspell key words, your posts may not show up in correctly spelled searches. It might just be me, but if I spend a long time writing a detailed review of my tour of the Roman Colosseum (Coliseum), I really want others to read it. In that case, I'd probably make an effort to spell the word in a manner that is easily searchable, i.e., not spell it collisium or however my brain/fingers want to spell it.

That said, some of my best buys on eBay (back in the day) were by searching for items using misspellings. At one time I collected "Organdie" china. I found many an auction listing languishing because the auction was selling "Organdy" china.

I know what you mean, I used to buy and sell Harbour Lights Lighthouses on ebay back in the late 90's when they were valuable, I used to get steals when the search turned up Harbor, before they show all the variants, as they do now.

On our last cruise Stuart, our room steward was great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BosoxI

This thread has not degenerated far enough to allow me to address my bete noir. I'm hoping it does, as I really want to address my current pet peeve.

Well, OK, if you insist. :)

It's making a word plural by adding: 's. When did that start?

I know what you mean, I used to buy and sell Harbour Lights Lighthouses on ebay back in the late 90's when they were valuable, I used to get steals when the search turned up Harbor, before they show all the variants, as they do now.

On our last cruise Stuart, our room steward was great.

I am the original OP. Thank you RobinAnn and ORV, you both understood my initial concern about the spelling of the important keywords that would be used in searches.

Unfortunately, the thread turned into a discussion about the importance or not of correct spelling, concerns about posters not having English as their mother tongue or having some writing skill handicaps, etc.. As a matter of fact, French is my mother tongue and I know that my English is far from being perfect and that I am not in the position to criticize the quality of writing of the other posters. That was not my intention at all to insist on language quality but ONLY about some important KEYWORDS.

Thank you again RobinAnn and ORV and my apologies to people who misinterpreted or extrapolated my point.

One of the reasons I use firefox is the built-in spell check. I'm usually cautious about spell check since I had a near fiasco several years ago. I made an error at work and my manager told me to email her an apology that she would forward to the judge (I work for a court.) Of course I used spell check and changed any problem word to the "suggested" word. She emailed me back and suggested I re-read it. Because I can't spell inconvenience, the suggested word that I accepted without reading was incontinent, which completely changed the meaning of "I apologize for any inconvenience I may have cause." Interestingly enough, I can spell incontinent.

One of the best accidental spelling errors occurred on a press release by the local election board where I live. We had just purchased new voting machines and we wanted to make the electorate know that the vote count would be correct. The machines had two counters on it - a public counter and an election counter. However, in our announcement, we left out the letter "l" in the word "public" so we announced that the machines would have an "election" counter and a "pubic" counter.

It passed the spell checker and nobody bothered to closely read the press release.

Took us a while to live that one down.

DON

One of the best accidental spelling errors occurred on a press release by the local election board where I live. We had just purchased new voting machines and we wanted to make the electorate know that the vote count would be correct. The machines had two counters on it - a public counter and an election counter. However, in our announcement, we left out the letter "l" in the word "public" so we announced that the machines would have an "election" counter and a "pubic" counter.

It passed the spell checker and nobody bothered to closely read the press release.

Took us a while to live that one down.

DON

Don, you were literally inches away from a second spelling error that would have caused a riot :eek: