Do you remember when NCL

biker@sea

Had a golf pro on the ship to Bermuda ?

Sold refillable glass beer mug's with the ship name on them ?

The glass fish bowl's ?

Cheap destination tee shirt's from the excursion desk ??

What else has been cut out ?

2.0 ?? :rolleyes:

Somehow we missed the refillable glass beer mug's with the ship name on them.. Because we would have bought them!

Here's another one that I scanned and posted here a while ago. This is NCL's first brochure for SS Norway's inaugural 1980 season. I also own a copy of an even earlier foldout poster, but I haven't had the chance to scan it yet.

norway_1980_zpsbhihnyoz.jpg

norway_1980%201_zpsixnogeix.jpg

norway_1980_2_zpsps0fscjr.jpg

norway_1980_3_zps4wfwrbmg.jpg

norway_1980-7%20copy_zpst6lb7ypf.jpg

Here's also the program for SS Norway's production of "Hello, Dolly!"

This fits more as a continuity than a difference. Many people here think that large Broadway production shows are a recent phenomena, but NCL pioneered the concept decades ago. This show really blew everyone else out of the water when it debuted onboard in 1980.

dolly1_zpshrvg4wic.jpg

dolly2_zpsplmxgf4q.jpg

Totally amazing!!!!! Thanks for posting those, barnacle_boy! That picture of the Norway before her refitting is fabulous!

I found a few more photos from 1995....this one of our stateroom (one of the new top deck staterooms that were added after the refitting).....the bottle of champagne on the desk was our 'prize' from the Newlywed Game.....we didn't win the 'big' one...a future cruise certificate!

stateroom%20Norway_zpscbw1feyh.jpeg

and that bathtub! I could scuba dive in that!!!!!

stateroom%20bathtub%20Norway_zpspsg5i2ky.jpeg

but I loved those big windows the most....this is sailing out Govt Cut in Miami.

stateroom%20windows%20Norway_zpsxgtkqipa.jpeg

and those looooong hallways....even then people left their dishes in the hallway....grrrr

hallway%20Norway_zpsle6zgpk2.jpeg

Norway's lifeboats....

Norways%20lifeboats_zpsxoqvief8.jpeg

There are lots more but I haven't had time to scan them.

Edited by Diver2014

Gosh, seeing all these posts and the nostalgia the SS Norway brings, I dug through my bin of mementos and found a few more items: this first one is a gold embossed rendering of the Norway that everyone received in their 'Welcome Aboard' folders:

gold%20Norway%20photo_zpsudynd3k6.jpeg

My mom (left) and I on our very first cruise in 1988 (I think). Notice the Little Norway beached at St Maarten....we walked off the ramp onto the beach because there was no pier then.

Mom%20left%20me%20right%201988_zpsocjw1dk2.jpeg

This was an advert I saved after the renovation...when they added the new top floor to window suites (which I had in 1995 on my honeymoon!)

renovation_zps2330qde6.jpeg

I bought this booklet on board called 'The History of The SS Norway' - it was a picture book showing her as the France through her journey to becoming the SS Norway. The price sticker on the back says $5.95!

History%20of%20Norway%20booklet_zpselksjijh.jpeg

Page one from that booklet:

History%20booklet%20pg%201_zps4qpjkrfh.jpeg

I have a lot more stuff but they are mostly photos I took but they are in a bin in the top of a closet. I'll have to dig them out sometime.

What! No pier? The ship must have been the of a yacht.

remember when bridge tours on the SS Norway were open to everyone and were free?

Norway%20bridge%20tour%201995_zpsq0mlcoc9.jpeg

or how about the Chocolate Extravaganza?

Chocolate%20Extravaganza%20Norway_zpsx35z6j7j.jpeg

and remember how she had to anchor outside St Thomas because she was just tooooo big????

Norway%20St%20Thomas%201995_zpsscdlrar0.jpeg

I have more if anyone is interested.......

I'M INTERESTED!! Question, Do you know if visitors of cruisers were allowed to come on the ship??

Our very first cruise was the SS Norway in 1995. Still remember the sinking feeling when we took Lil Norway 1 to St John for the Fitness at Sea run & watched the Norway sail away to her anchorage in St Thomas. Rather disconcerting to see your ship sail away without you. Still have fond memories of the chocolate buffet, I won the skeet shooting & my DH & I won the shipboard Olympics...those were the days, lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by awhfy

Skeet shooting! Ah yes, I remember well....from the aft deck. Also, hitting golf balls off the stern. My goodness, the tree huggers would have a cow about golf balls in the oceans nowadays.

Naw , They got new tree huggin friendly bolf balls made out of lobster shell's nowadays . :D

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/2011-04-18-lobster-golf-balls.htm

I'M INTERESTED!! Question, Do you know if visitors of cruisers were allowed to come on the ship??

They were allowed to visit prior to the cruise. I remember the announcement that all visitors were to leave the ship. Maybe that just meant travel agents and wedding party guests, I don't know.....

and yes, my Norway glasses were full of pina colada memories......:D

• 2 weeks later...
Had a golf pro on the ship to Bermuda ?

Sold refillable glass beer mug's with the ship name on them ?

The glass fish bowl's ?

Cheap destination tee shirt's from the excursion desk ??

What else has been cut out ?

2.0 ?? :rolleyes:

Ding Ding the light bulb just lit up . :)

The golf Pro was Murry Brown .

The guy was a hoot ,lot's of fun to have around .:D

Edited by biker@sea

Totally amazing!!!!! Thanks for posting those, barnacle_boy! That picture of the Norway before her refitting is fabulous!

I found a few more photos from 1995....this one of our stateroom (one of the new top deck staterooms that were added after the refitting).....the bottle of champagne on the desk was our 'prize' from the Newlywed Game.....we didn't win the 'big' one...a future cruise certificate!

stateroom%20Norway_zpscbw1feyh.jpeg

Now I know why this one really drunk couple thought they would have a chance to win a future cruise while playing the Newlywed game on the Jade a couple weeks back.

Wow, some of you guys went completely old school and that's so cool to see NCL in the 90s. My cruising experience only started in 2009 and all I got is: do you remember when Garden Cafe would serve quesadillas for lunch and dinner and shrimp cocktail in the early evenings? Remember when you didn't have to check out golf equipment and basketballs? Remember when you would get offered a glass of champagne when you board the ship on the 1st day?

Remember when....

All you can eat sushi for one flat rate! I think we had that 3 of our 7 nights on the Spirit.

I also remember the horse racing, but from a different cruise line. I wish they still did that. It was so much stupid fun!

Edited by LrgPizza

Love this.....

Does anyone know anything about the Jamaica Hill resort that is shown in the brochure barnacle_boy put in post #104?

I have never heard of it.

20141217222843_032_zpsbeavalya.jpg

The resort was initially built in 1972. NCL purchased and renovated the property in the late 1970s. It could be booked separately or as part of a two week "cruise-and-stay" holiday package in combination with a cruise. Starward used to dock in Port Antonio, which was only a seven mile drive from the resort.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-22%20at%206.00.20%20PM_zpso0k4f3tq.png

Although NCL sold the property many years ago, it still exists today and operates as the Goblin Hill Villas at San San. The 28 villas, swimming pool, and tennis courts appear much as they did during NCL ownership. Their website has an extensive photo gallery.

I hope this helps answer your questions! :)