Do you remember when NCL

biker@sea

Grand prize drawing at the Latitudes reception (Dawn 2003) was for a 7 nights cruise for 2 and assorted smaller prizes: wine, dinner for 2, spa treatment, painting, etc.

Small tote from ShoreEx for booking onboard.

Drawing prize for filling out the Guest Satisfactory Survey & dropping it off at Guest Services.

Edited by mking8288

This is the oldest NCL brochure in my collection. At that point, the "Norwegian Caribbean Lines" name had yet to be established for the partnership between Knut Kloster and Ted Arison. Even after the name was adopted, NCL ships continued to fly the Kloster Rederi house flag into the 1980s. There are quite a few photos of SS Norway flying the stylized "K" flag during her early days with NCL.

sunward_front_zpsmilv2b2y.jpg

sunward_interior_zpsnnzz07v3.jpg

sunward_1968_interior_zps8viu3kke.jpg

sunward_1968_interior%201_zpsh6oz4hje.jpg

sunward_reverse_zpsx1vd8ovl.jpg

Found a few Norway souvenirs......sample menu

norway%20menu_zpssm33ydtb.jpeg

everyone got a folder in their stateroom with all the ship particulars in it:

norway_zpsl37ixpoi.jpeg

and then the explosion....and the end of the Norway. We had such hopes for her:

norway%20herald_zpsqv0i7dn6.jpeg

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THIS AS A SOUVINIR!! I would even pay for it !the pics on the menus are beautiful . All I have is a plastic cup with NCL on it. Thanks for sharing .

This is the oldest NCL brochure in my collection. At that point, the "Norwegian Caribbean Lines" name had yet to be established for the partnership between Knut Kloster and Ted Arison. Even after the name was adopted, NCL ships continued to fly the Kloster Rederi house flag into the 1980s. There are quite a few photos of SS Norway flying the stylized "K" flag during her early days with NCL.

sunward_front_zpsmilv2b2y.jpg

sunward_interior_zpsnnzz07v3.jpg

sunward_1968_interior_zps8viu3kke.jpg

sunward_1968_interior%201_zpsh6oz4hje.jpg

sunward_reverse_zpsx1vd8ovl.jpg

Love this. It really puts things in perspective. $175 for 7 days in 1967 is equivalent to roughly $1200 today, and presumably that is double occupancy, inside cabin. So while everyone complains about the cost of cruising and extra charges, I'll spend today's prices with the "cut backs" and add on as I see fit. I know that's not the point of this thread and don't mean to derail the discussion, but found this really interesting in light of recent discussions/complaints. Thanks for sharing! :)

Wow barnacle_boy!!! That was the best brochure ever posted. I love it especially since we were on that ship.

I do remember that when we were scheduled to cruise on a Monday from Miami on the Sunward II, we were doing the Cloud 9 hotel pkg. We were at a Marriott hotel and they had a wonderful Sunday brunch. At the brunch we noticed another "young couple" and wondered if they were going on same ship. Yes indeed they were on our ship, and they ended up being assigned to our dining room table (along with 4 other people). We struck up a friendship that has only grown thru the years. They are from New Orleans, and we are from Chicago Suburbs. The wife is my dearest friend and Godmother to my daughter. I will see them in 3 weeks as we are meeting in Florida.

At that weekend.....we also were able to "tour" 2 other NCL ships in port. We were able to board (we showed them actual Cruise Documents that came in a nice folder of our impending cruise) their ships to check them out for future vacations. Can you believe that we had lunch onboard with the boarding passengers and were able to pay cash and have a cocktail?!!!

I have such lovely memories of a time gone past. Thanks for the memories to everyone who is posting and sharing! I am enjoying all the memories.

I love this reminiscing of how things were. It's amazing to see how much has changed in such a short period of time (10 years). :(

I remember when I could get chicken tenders no matter the time of day or night. Best hang over food ever! Now it's boneless Buffalo wings. :(

Do you remember when you could actually go to the pool deck and sit by a size-able pool or see a pool? :)

All these waterslides and chopped up sun decks are a waste! :mad: No one can get to a lounger by the pool unless you’re the ultimate chair hog. :p Thank goodness at least NCL tried to right the wrong by putting in Spice H2O for adults only but on some sailings even that is crowded (especially Breakaway and Getaway where the amount of sun lounger space was made much smaller than Epic).

How about some of the Great Entertainers like " The Chocolate Goddess of Love " Jane L. Powell . :D

And Dave Heenan .:)

My DH got pulled on stage with the Chocolate Goddess of Love in 2002 and he still talks about it. That was a great show!

I started cruising in 2003 and there have been many changes (er, cutbacks?) since then. Midnight buffets, chocolate extravaganzas.

My first NCL cruise was in 2009. I remember receiving a glass of welcome-aboard sparkling wine as soon as we boarded the Gem.

And those tall frosted souvenir cocktail glasses--I still have some from Gem, Dawn and Jewel and they're so pretty!

Edited by mizlorinj

I just remembered . :)

The weird underwater viewing window in POOL on M/S Norwegian Dream .

Say what?! I didn't see that on the ship when it did the one season Boston to Bermuda run! :eek: How amusing! Wonder if they kept it when the ship eventually transferred to Star Cruises? :cool:

Say what?! I didn't see that on the ship when it did the one season Boston to Bermuda run! :eek: How amusing! Wonder if they kept it when the ship eventually transferred to Star Cruises? :cool:

Not sure about the Dream, but I recall seeing one on the Norway as posted in erollers also excellent thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1686301

Edited by dexddd

Gosh, seeing all these posts and the nostalgia the SS Norway brings, I dug through my bin of mementos and found a few more items: this first one is a gold embossed rendering of the Norway that everyone received in their 'Welcome Aboard' folders:

gold%20Norway%20photo_zpsudynd3k6.jpeg

My mom (left) and I on our very first cruise in 1988 (I think). Notice the Little Norway beached at St Maarten....we walked off the ramp onto the beach because there was no pier then.

Mom%20left%20me%20right%201988_zpsocjw1dk2.jpeg

This was an advert I saved after the renovation...when they added the new top floor to window suites (which I had in 1995 on my honeymoon!)

renovation_zps2330qde6.jpeg

I bought this booklet on board called 'The History of The SS Norway' - it was a picture book showing her as the France through her journey to becoming the SS Norway. The price sticker on the back says $5.95!

History%20of%20Norway%20booklet_zpselksjijh.jpeg

Page one from that booklet:

History%20booklet%20pg%201_zps4qpjkrfh.jpeg

I have a lot more stuff but they are mostly photos I took but they are in a bin in the top of a closet. I'll have to dig them out sometime.

remember when bridge tours on the SS Norway were open to everyone and were free?

Norway%20bridge%20tour%201995_zpsq0mlcoc9.jpeg

or how about the Chocolate Extravaganza?

Chocolate%20Extravaganza%20Norway_zpsx35z6j7j.jpeg

and remember how she had to anchor outside St Thomas because she was just tooooo big????

Norway%20St%20Thomas%201995_zpsscdlrar0.jpeg

I have more if anyone is interested.......

A few more visual aids for some of the many topics being brought up. Here's a 1974 brochure for NCL's "Cloud 9" air/sea program, which was arguably the first of its kind in the cruise industry. This particular brochure features NCL's regional partnership with United Airlines, which explains the inclusion of the 1970s "Friend Ship" DC-10 in the lower right corner.

cloud_9_interior_zpsnbxdlqmh.jpg

The other two articles are excerpts from a 1980 issue of "Ombord," NCL's onboard magazine. This particular copy was distributed to passengers on SS Norway during her inaugural season. The first article is a brief overlook of NCL's history, while the second is a look at SS Norway's dining options.

Scan%20143510001_zpsvqtafjsh.jpg

20141217222843_003_zps13x7u7u4.jpg

20141217222843_004_zpsrnjgsxxe.jpg

20141217222843_025_zpshvo7efxx.jpg

Ah....the Southward. Sailed on her in 1988. Here's my photo of the balloon release at Sailaway from Los Angeles.....

Southward%20sailaway_zps10wfrs8c.jpeg

and docked in Ensenada, Mexico.....pipes and all on the cargo dock.

I laughed when I saw that 'No visitors' sign. Those were the good old days.

Southward%20Ensenada%201988_zpspybv7fjl.jpeg

Here are several additional articles from "Ombord" that discuss the daytime and nighttime activities onboard SS Norway during her inaugural 1980 season.

day1_zpspki8gzey.jpg

day2_zpsl6hjyyba.jpg

night1_zpsrshlw1yl.jpg

night2_zpsxmgf8z8c.jpg

This flier was also supplied in the stateroom information folders.

fyi_zpset7fb99z.jpg

I wish I had saved my 'Ombord's'

some more SS Norway.....remember the davits on the bow for Little Norways I & II?

Little%20Norway%20davits_zpsqrwjd7z2.jpeg

Great Stirrup Cay in 1995 with the Norway anchored out:

Great%20Stirrup%20Cay%20Norway%201995_zps0yjgyc8g.jpeg

Does anyone remember the name of this lounge on the Norway?

Norway%20lounge_zpsgjmxuiqz.jpeg

Edited by Diver2014

Ah yes, thanks for that. Love your old flyers and 'Ombord's'.

This was the NCL logo on the Norway (taken in 1995)

NCL%20logo%20on%20Norway_zpsynigb8ga.jpeg

on our way on Little Norway to Great Stirrup Cay:

going%20to%20GSC%20from%20Norway_zpszfb4fjhl.jpeg

the honeymooners in 1995 in St Thomas....Norway in background..me in my SS Norway shirt.

Honeymoon%20Norway_zpsxyfk4hah.jpeg

Edited by Diver2014