Poll: Do you bring food to your cabin

Kenlorz

Do you take food back to your cabin?  

664 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take food back to your cabin?

• Yes, I bring food back to my cabin and I'm not happy about this new policy
    • No, I don't bring food back to my cabin and I could care less about this new policy
    • Yes, I bring food back to my cabin, policy is no big deal. I'll just pay $7.95 for Room Service now

I'm not trying to help anyone nor have I defended NCL other than the right to make changes they seem fit.

If you want a thread without any positives, then I would suggest that you start a thread about the changes and ask that there be no positive posts. Even though I feel NCL wants to know the positives and the negatives, I won't post to it, but have to warn you that someone actually asked for only positive comments and none about the changes on a thread about what you are looking forward to on your cruise. And, guess what, there was a negative post about taking food back from the buffet, so it might not work.

If you believe NCL deserves scorn and opprobrium for their actions over the last several months, then continue posting the way you are posting. I prefer to send a message through my posts, as do others, that it is not all negative and many don't have any issues with their changes and that there are differing experiences on the ships.

I think it is posts like yours, to which I'm responding to, that keeps the pot simmering. Carry on!

LOL! I most certainly will. Thanks for playing. :rolleyes:

I will answer the original question "Do I Bring Food Back to My Room"

The answer is yes, on occasion I do. Especially on my last cruise, where I spent a lot of time in my cabin watching movies and simply resting from my very stressful job.

I have not brought a full meal back to my room, but what some would call a snack such as a dessert or pizza. I find the room service menu limited so I don't use it that much. However, if I want to bring something from the buffet and dine in my room, I feel that I should be able to enjoy that privilege.

I may even start looking for some eco friendly disposable food containers that I can bring on my cruise with me so that I don't dirty any dishes. That way, my container can go in my trash bin when I'm done eating.

Perhaps there should be a poll asking whether passengers prefer paying $xx more per cruise in order for NCL to hire more crew to pick up after everyone that takes food back to their cabins as well as other places on the ship....... or if they prefer the new policy. And, maybe another poll should be in place to ask if passengers would rather pay more money per cruise and have included room service or have passengers that make a choice to have room service pay for it?

If NCL made these changes, one must assume that these were problem areas for the crew. Were passengers ordering "free" room service multiple times a day? And, taking food to various areas of the ship and leaving the "remains" there - assuming that someone will clean it up for you instead of putting it in the trash probably requires extra staff.

If NCL made these changes, one must assume that these were problem areas for the crew. Were passengers ordering "free" room service multiple times a day? And, taking food to various areas of the ship and leaving the "remains" there - assuming that someone will clean it up for you instead of putting it in the trash probably requires extra staff.

I think that if NCL had put some upper limit on room service, say two orders per day per pax, that would take care of the issue of having to service multiple requests for ONE piece of chocolate cake, or whatever. Very few people would have grumbled about that, especially with adequate notice (i.e., on some date beyond 90 days out, this will be the new policy).

The other stuff, about food being taken elsewhere on the ship, is bunk, just stupid stuff thunk up by the now miniaturized PR staff in Miami to ex post facto explain away the new (and misguided) food policy. To the extent that there was a problem with dirty dishes on board the ship, that problem has existed for a long time and so one assumes that NCL has already been employing staff to make sure it wasn't a problem.

So it's not about needing to employ MORE staff to keep the ships in pristine condition, they've already been doing that. It's much more about needing to employ LESS staff in order to keep the bottom line looking more tidy.

Perhaps there should be a poll asking whether passengers prefer paying $xx more per cruise in order for NCL to hire more crew to pick up after everyone that takes food back to their cabins as well as other places on the ship....... or if they prefer the new policy. And, maybe another poll should be in place to ask if passengers would rather pay more money per cruise and have included room service or have passengers that make a choice to have room service pay for it?

Other cruise lines already charge too much upfront

Why should they hire more people, when they can simply make a rule do not bring food away from the designated eating areas? seems like a simple enough rule to follow.

Seems like people on here always say I usually like to do this or usually like to do that, okay well you're not doing it anymore lol. I usually like to smoke on my balcony now I'm not going to be able to I have to deal with that. I promise we can all deal with the changes that bug us.

Smoking on your balcony is not related to eating on your balcony in any way, shape, or form !!!!! Smoke is damaging to everyone who is exposed to it while food only affects those who are eating it. Stop trying to compare the two. It is foolish to do so.

A ship that carries 2300 or more guests has a crew of over one thousand. None of the recent changes is impacted by shortage of crew. They have plenty of people working on the ships and most of them work 10 hours per day 7 days per week. Even though they are not evenly distributed about the ship, it still adds up to about one crew member for each cabin.

Please don't try to make it sound like the recent changes are related to not having enough people to pick up the food residue.

Other cruise lines already charge too much upfront

Don't you think NCL would charge the same as other cruiselines if it can? Companies can charge whatever price for their products but the market, i.e. customers ultimately decide what the value of those products are.

For this reason, I don't worry about cruiselines raising prices. Supply and demand ultimately decide how much those cabins are worth. Yes I pay less now for cruises but i also receive less than years ago which is also why I won't pay more than a certain amount for ncl cruises. Do I think other cruiselines are overpriced like you? Yes I do but apparently the demand for those other cruiselines allows them to charge what they charge whether the perceived value is real or not. More people seem to want their products than ncl or carnival.

I am willing to may more for a better product. Improving your product or image is how any company should go about raising revenue. Charging more after you sold the product or not delivering what you sold is not a long term solution for financial success.

Can we take food to the pool area or on a deck? I usually eat my lunch where I set up shop in the sun. Thanks.

NCL seems pretty clear in their statement that food is no longer allowed to be taken from the dining areas. Just because someone, somewhere said they were able to take food to the pool does not mean it's actually allowed under their new rules. I think if someone here is telling everyone it's allowed, it may just be setting people up for disappointment.

you will love Disney! I know we did and are now regretting not booking another Disney cruise instead of our current NCL one .

I am not happy with the new policies either even though we hardly ever eat more than coffee and cookies in our room. It just isn't an option now and that really is a disappointment to me.

I am so envious of your TCM cruise!! I am a big classic movie fan and if NCL keeps up this new policy, I'll be on that cruise right along with you!:)

I think that if NCL had put some upper limit on room service, say two orders per day per pax, that would take care of the issue of having to service multiple requests for ONE piece of chocolate cake, or whatever. Very few people would have grumbled about that, especially with adequate notice (i.e., on some date beyond 90 days out, this will be the new policy).

The other stuff, about food being taken elsewhere on the ship, is bunk, just stupid stuff thunk up by the now miniaturized PR staff in Miami to ex post facto explain away the new (and misguided) food policy. To the extent that there was a problem with dirty dishes on board the ship, that problem has existed for a long time and so one assumes that NCL has already been employing staff to make sure it wasn't a problem.

So it's not about needing to employ MORE staff to keep the ships in pristine condition, they've already been doing that. It's much more about needing to employ LESS staff in order to keep the bottom line looking more tidy.

Appreciate your thoughtful post (and motleyfan as well) - so much better than simply bashing NCL. I think that a limit to room service orders is a great idea (hope NCL is reading this thread).

In terms of food being taking around the ship, I agree that this problem has probably existed for a long time but has not been addressed. I am not so sure that there is enough staff to keep the ships in pristine condition because of what I have been reading on multiple threads about food/plates outside of doors on the floor. Also read that, due to the possible shortage of crew members, stewardess/stewards have been seen working in the restaurants (very strange).

As we all know, there is a limit as to how many crew members can be on a ship at a given time due to limitations of the crew quarters. Although many posters have stated that they have not seen a lot of plates outside of doors or in other places around the ship, there are also posters that have not only seen more than what would be acceptable, but see it as a problem. Even a disabled poster indicated that it can be difficult to get around the ship in a wheelchair because of the plates outside of the door on the floor. I am not saying that you are wrong about it being "bunk" or that the posters who feel that it is a problem is wrong. NCL obviously thought that a change was needed.

motleyfan: Making a policy and having it followed is easier said that done. As you have seen on these threads, posters are looking at ways to get around the policy (possibly the same posters that think of ways of sneaking alcohol on board -- also trying to get around the system).

Believe it or not, these threads will die and NCL's policies will no doubt remain. This is the way changes on cruise lines seems to go. Whether the reason for the changes was money or ???, NCL management (Apollo, FDR, the President of NCL, etc.) thought it was necessary. These are successful business people and I've learned not to question their continued success (well, I may question it but do not get overly upset about it...... it is easier to change cruise lines than to get high blood pressure over it).

Smoking on your balcony is not related to eating on your balcony in any way, shape, or form !!!!! Smoke is damaging to everyone who is exposed to it while food only affects those who are eating it. Stop trying to compare the two. It is foolish to do so.

Well, now NCL pretty much told all the non-smokers (and smokers) that food odors / spills / clean up was too much for the rooms and/or balconies - they now suggest people eat in designate dining areas. See how easy that was to relate - It really did became a 'what good for goose is good for gander' kind of situation.

If you look back I'm not the only person who has made the comparison. it basically is the same when you think of it like this, it was a change in a long held policy. its not the same to you because that change does not affect you. yet you people get so full of piss and vinegar when somebody says the food related change does not bother them.

I voted yes but what bothers me more than not being able to bring food to the cabin is not being able to bring it to the pool deck. I love to grab a few slices of pizza and some fries to go with my bucket of beer. :mad:

You still can eat out by the pool

Well, now NCL pretty much told all the non-smokers (and smokers) that food odors / spills / clean up was too much for the rooms and/or balconies - they now suggest people eat in designate dining areas. See how easy that was to relate - It really did became a 'what good for goose is good for gander' kind of situation.

You are much more intelligent than I am and related the commonality perfectly

I haven't read all of the replies, and I haven't yet posted on this issue. But since this is a poll:

My answer is yes, I bring back food to my cabin, and no I'm not happy about the new policy. On Norwegian, we've always cruised in a suite that has a dining table and a balcony, and we enjoy getting snacks from the buffet to bring back to our room. Sometimes we nap through the regular lunch hours, and it's nice to go to the buffet, grab a bit of salad or sandwich or whatever they have out, and enjoy it, in peace, on the balcony. At least on the Star, I HATE the buffet ambience. It leaves a lot to be desired. And no, I have no wish to eat at the pool area, which is much more unsanitary than my room! :eek:

I know there are some people who think it's weird or gross to eat in your room, but here's another perspective:

First of all, I keep my cabin very clean and picked up, so it's not as if I'm eating next to dirty socks. And in the suites, you have both a table in the room, and a small table on the balcony.

Secondly, not everyone likes to be around crowds of people. I'm one of them. I love the ocean, I love ships, but I don't love crowds. I'd much rather eat on my balcony where it's quiet. That's one of the reasons we get a balcony.

I'm not going to rant and rave about this, it's just a simple choice. Unless the policy changes, I'm not likely to cruise NCL again. It's a deal breaker for my husband and I.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer