Poll: Do you bring food to your cabin

Kenlorz

Do you take food back to your cabin?  

664 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take food back to your cabin?

• Yes, I bring food back to my cabin and I'm not happy about this new policy
    • No, I don't bring food back to my cabin and I could care less about this new policy
    • Yes, I bring food back to my cabin, policy is no big deal. I'll just pay $7.95 for Room Service now

So a coffee OK. How about a few cookies on a plate. And since I have a plate I'll put a few shrimp and some roast beef. And maybe a few peas.

Why don't you try it and see, then report back? Thanks.

So a coffee OK. How about a few cookies on a plate. And since I have a plate I'll put a few shrimp and some roast beef. And maybe a few peas.
At this point, I don't think anyone knows what the rules are. I was told that they have not formalized the rules when I called, someone else called and they said only hot food could not be taken out of the buffet, someone else called and they said no food could be taken out of the buffet, someone called and got an email that said food from the buffet could only be taken to the pool deck, someone else got a email that snacks, but not full meals, could be taken to the cabins.

Until we get a firm announcement from NCL, I guess we will have to just and speculate on what the real deal is and what someone can take and where they can take it.

Some times you just want to bring back a dessert or drink. I think that should not be an issue. We often leave the bar with a glass and stroll the ship. I can not believe this will be enforced very strictly.:rolleyes:
Did they announce it covered drinks now? All I've read is that it says food and even with that, there have been so many reports of different things happening, don't know how anyone really knows what is going on. Edited by NLH Arizona

After reading many post on this subject over the last few weeks, it has become quite clear we all cruise for different reasons. Some are really passionate about what makes the cruise special for them and what does not. That's ok, folks, it really is.

We cruise for relaxation, convenience of seeing many countries, cities in a week or 10 days. This new policy will not change our mind about NCL, we have the last 6 out of 30 cruises with them. We rarely use room service nor do we take food back to the room on a regular basis. Maybe something from the buffet if we have a fridge and the next day is an early port. I do feel the "What's Next" is valid and a concern, some of the Freestyle is certainly gone.

What bothers me most on CC lately is not that we all have opinions but that some posters feel the need to tell others why their opinion is flawed.

Happy Cruising to all, where ever you go. Sit back, relax and watch the world from your deck chair.:)

Lynda

I have to agree - we all cruise for different reasons. Room service is a fun option, but not the reason that I choose a cruise line. I still plan to enjoy my trip :) NCL did say that you can bring small snacks back to your cabin, just not full meals. My kids like to bring a cookie back or fries but other than that we eat meals in the main areas. I don't use room service too often so hoping the charge won't be an issue either.

Looking forward to my relaxing trip with my family :)

Oh boy ... you are either very naive or very ....

I used to own a grocery store (20 years ago), we had a somewhat similar situation. We used pack and carry everyone's groceries to their car, it became too expensive labor wise. So we switched to self carry out. It is obviously the standard now, but at the time we had some feedback from our customers. Some were fine with it because it did allow us to keep our prices down.

I have to agree - we all cruise for different reasons. Room service is a fun option, but not the reason that I choose a cruise line. I still plan to enjoy my trip :) NCL did say that you can bring small snacks back to your cabin, just not full meals. My kids like to bring a cookie back or fries but other than that we eat meals in the main areas. I don't use room service too often so hoping the charge won't be an issue either.

Looking forward to my relaxing trip with my family :)

What is a snack

A snack to me is a burger couple dogs slice of pizza with some fry's

I grab that and eat it on the balcony before dinner while the DW gets ready,

Hopefully some of the people currently on cruises will post when they get home and give us the lowdown on how strict NCL is being with this new policy. If I had known about this beforehand, I would not have booked with NCL, however we already have our flights booked so I guess we are stuck this time around. Back to Celebrity and Royal Caribbean next time around.

Hopefully some of the people currently on cruises will post when they get home and give us the lowdown on how strict NCL is being with this new policy. If I had known about this beforehand, I would not have booked with NCL, however we already have our flights booked so I guess we are stuck this time around. Back to Celebrity and Royal Caribbean next time around.

Here is a post from a recently return poster:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuiteTraveler View Post

I just got off the Getaway this morning. There were people all over the ship with food they obviously got in the buffet or at the coffee shop in the atrium or Carlo's Bake Shop and were taking the food to their cabin throughout the cruise. The reason I could tell this was because my cabin was forward, so I saw many of these people in the forward part of the ship and on the forward stairs and elevators. The buffet is aft, so they had brought the food all that way. No, you cannot get a to-go order from any of the restaurants, but if you are eating at a restaurant and need to leave for an unforeseen reason (child, sickness, want to finish dessert but can't) the waitstaff will send the food to your cabin via room service at no extra charge. It comes wrapped with proper plates, cutlery and napkins. In our case, the dessert we were too full to eat was at our cabin in under 5 minutes of our return to the cabin after dinner. We were allowed to take anything in a bottle that we had paid for (sparkling water, wine, etc) with us from any venue back to our cabin. Those are the facts. To me, I don't see this new policy as a problem. Honestly, there was so much food available to us so much of the time, it was completely overwhelming.

How will this new policy affect you?

In general, we don't bring food back to the cabin. The ONLY time I recall bringing food to the cabin was on my birthday when they gave the complimentary birthday cake. It didn't think the taste would be worth the calories but I didn't want to hurt their feelings. lol That cake sat in our cabin for 5 days. It was covered up so it wasn't messy. I just felt bad about not wanting it.

Usually when we are in port at either the ocean or even an excursions we find it easier to stop by the buffet and bring a plate of food back to the cabin this way we can eat something quick as we are taking turns showering. Sometimes when you are out in the sun for a long period of time the last thing that you wanna do is fight for seats at the buffet.

I understand where NCL is coming from. The hallways an be a little disgusting with dishes etc. It does make cleaning the room and ship easier if there is no messy food all over the place.

That said, I will admin to the times I have had a balcony coming back from an excursion heading to the buffet to pick up a plate of bread, cheese, grapes and nuts to enjoy on the balcony with a glass of wine. Yes I do, pay the silly corking fee on the wine.

Like most things, there will be a rule. IT will hopefully be ambiguous with the expectations that people will exercise reasonable judgment. Perhaps it is not appropriate to sit in the theatre or somewhere else not setup to handle food eating something that is a messy and perhaps a cookie is ok.

On a side note, I have been also been in the studio cabins. The nice thing is the living room area that is shared by the studios. A continental breakfast spread is put out each morning. Some sandwiches and pastries at other times of the day.

Just got off the phone with NCL who called me after I sent an email to them about my displeasure/concern with new food policy and how it will impact me and my family.

He said that they are taking everybody's concerns seriously......whether or not that is true.....is yet to be seen. Made me feel a litttle better that NCL responded and was interested in their passengers opinion. Where it goes from here is questionable.

First thing he said to me.....have you been reading Cruise Critic ? :D

Here is the email address again, and I encourage more of us that are unhappy to contact them.

publicrelations@ncl.com

I think they are right. There are so many places to eat just steps away. If it's such a big deal to walk to the buffet from your cabin, book a room close by, just like some smokers that book a room close to the smoking area.

Some people are ridiculous. There is no need to eat on the steps, in the library etc

I understand where NCL is coming from. The hallways an be a little disgusting with dishes etc. It does make cleaning the room and ship easier if there is no messy food all over the place.

That said, I will admin to the times I have had a balcony coming back from an excursion heading to the buffet to pick up a plate of bread, cheese, grapes and nuts to enjoy on the balcony with a glass of wine. Yes I do, pay the silly corking fee on the wine.

Like most things, there will be a rule. IT will hopefully be ambiguous with the expectations that people will exercise reasonable judgment. Perhaps it is not appropriate to sit in the theatre or somewhere else not setup to handle food eating something that is a messy and perhaps a cookie is ok.

On a side note, I have been also been in the studio cabins. The nice thing is the living room area that is shared by the studios. A continental breakfast spread is put out each morning. Some sandwiches and pastries at other times of the day.

What difference does it make if the "messy food all over the place" comes from the buffet, or from room service? It's still a mess. Answer: $$$$

I think they are right. There are so many places to eat just steps away. If it's such a big deal to walk to the buffet from your cabin, book a room close by, just like some smokers that book a room close to the smoking area.

Some people are ridiculous. There is no need to eat on the steps, in the library etc

I agree there is no need to eat on the steps or in the library, and I have never seen anyone doing either.

However, I do like to eat on my veranda occasionally, not a full meal, necessarily, but more than a piece of fruit or a pastry. An appetizer, if you will.

Also, if I'm not feeling well (I've come down with a cold once or twice whilst on a cruise), or if I'm really beat after an excursion, I might want to grab something light from the buffet and hide my raggedy ole self in my room. I don't feel that I should be forced to order room service for that pleasure.

Let's face it, this new restriction really has nothing to do with cleanliness, and pretending it does is plain dumb. Surely NCL has no more trouble (or, should I say, HAD) than any other cruise line regarding food being eaten outside of dining venues.

Edited by srlafleur

I'd read in cruise critic that folks could order items from O'Sheehans to go. I tried to order a sandwich and chips to go on my last sea day (May 1), and was told by the hostess and the supervisor this was no longer allowed. No food could be taken away per policy.

I had been reading and listening to the sea in the nice wicker chairs on the waterfront area on deck 8 - and wanted to bring the sandwich there, rather than tie up a table for 4 (all that were left) in the restaurant.

Instead I sat at a table for 4 in O'Sheehan's by myself, with my kindle, and had a leisurely meal. I Felt the use of the 4-person table for one person wasn't the best use of their resources, but really didn't have any choice. I politely complied with their policy, even though I would have preferred to eat outdoors in a quiet spot where I could see and hear the ocean.

I was not going to take it back to my room (so the poll didn't have an option for my answer), but was going to take it to a quiet, empty part of the ship where tables and chairs existed. Thanks for starting the poll ...

Edited by slc22
Add ship to title

I'd read in cruise critic that folks could order items from O'Sheehans to go. I tried to order a sandwich and chips to go on my last sea day (May 1), and was told by the hostess and the supervisor this was no longer allowed. No food could be taken away per policy.

I had been reading and listening to the sea in the nice wicker chairs on the waterfront area on deck 8 - and wanted to bring the sandwich there, rather than tie up a table for 4 (all that were left) in the restaurant.

Instead I sat at a table for 4 in O'Sheehan's by myself, with my kindle, and had a leisurely meal. I Felt the use of the 4-person table for one person wasn't the best use of their resources, but really didn't have any choice. I politely complied with their policy, even though I would have preferred to eat outdoors in a quiet spot where I could see and hear the ocean.

I was not going to take it back to my room (so the poll didn't have an option for my answer), but was going to take it to a quiet, empty part of the ship where tables and chairs existed. Thanks for starting the poll ...

My exact problem with this policy . I love sitting in a quiet place listening to the ocean with a light lunch or snack . But no can do [emoji19]

We don't bring food back so this change won't impact us in the least.

I don't care to eat in the cabin with only myself. Even when it is crowded in the buffet, where there are empty seats at a large table, I always ask if I can join them and have never been turned down. Many times at a table, there is one or 2 people eating and 3 or 4 empty chairs.

Edited by Hondu

Yes, before we jump to unwarranted conclusions. Let's hear from someone actually experiencing these changes and how they are enforced.