Poll: Do you bring food to your cabin

Kenlorz

Do you take food back to your cabin?  

664 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take food back to your cabin?

• Yes, I bring food back to my cabin and I'm not happy about this new policy
    • No, I don't bring food back to my cabin and I could care less about this new policy
    • Yes, I bring food back to my cabin, policy is no big deal. I'll just pay $7.95 for Room Service now

How will this new policy affect you?

Since I don't think the buffet is a "restaurant" and since food can be carried from the buffet to pool area, or probsbly other eating areas, I don't think it will affect me at all. Except for cookies and fresh fruit, I rarely take food back to the cabin. Except for sometimes continental breakfast I do not order room service. We cruise in cheap cabins, usually insides, never balconies so rarely eat there.

My husband has Parkinsons so he has a lot of medication that has to be taken with food. We normally pick up a bun or some fruit from the buffet before retiring for the night so he has something for the last pills of the night and first thing in the morning. This will definitely be an inconvenience for us as I will now have to pack 10 days worth of snack food for him. 😟

My husband has Parkinsons so he has a lot of medication that has to be taken with food. We normally pick up a bun or some fruit from the buffet before retiring for the night so he has something for the last pills of the night and first thing in the morning. This will definitely be an inconvenience for us as I will now have to pack 10 days worth of snack food for him. 😟

Contact the access desk prior to sailing. access desk at ncl dot com. He has special needs, and unless they want tons of discrimination suits, not to mention ADA violation suits, I doubt they would not address his need. :)

I dont bring a full meal to my cabin. Usually it's something simple like some fruit from breakfast that I can eat in later as a snack, especially after returning from a port.

Issue happens if one person in cabin isn't feeling quite up to going to the buffet. Both my DH and I have brought something simple to cabin for the other person.

On every cruise, I get up early and have coffee at the buffet. I also take a plate from the buffet to the cabin for DW almost every morning. It is a standing joke on the ships that I work room service in the mornings and I do it because I enjoy it. Since this has been going on for several years and over 50 cruises, I do not intend to change even if it means changing cruise lines.

my husband does the same thing....I have some physical challenges and take awhile to get going in the morning....I don't drink coffee or eat pastries so free rs isn't the answer....he brings me protein and fruit and we start the day on the balcony....not giving that up....

Going on our first and last NCL cruise this July with 28 friends...I organized the trip. I have diabetes and need something small to eat before retiring with my meds, usually a finger sandwich or piece of fruit. Now I have to call room service..is that before or after I go hypoglycemic.

Only twice have I ever brought food from a restaurant to the cabin, and both times were at the urging of our servers. Once was dessert from Le Bistro, and the other was pizza from La Cucina. Both times the food ended up thrown away.

We like to bring food back to our cabin. The buffet is very crowded sometimes with no place to sit. It is much easier to eat in our room while getting ready for the day with our young son. And also in the early evening before our son goes to the kid's club. It makes it more possible for us to have a family and couple's vacation in one. You say order room service? Seriously? I can walk to the buffet and get back to our room quickly. That's why we get a room on the deck below (that cost more money). Room service menus are limited and I don't have time to sit around and wait an hour or more while on vacation. Room service has always been late in arriving and usually the food is cold, not fresh.

Contact the access desk prior to sailing. access desk at ncl dot com. He has special needs, and unless they want tons of discrimination suits, not to mention ADA violation suits, I doubt they would not address his need. :)

A case like this could be challenging. I agree there may need to be exceptions, but, how does the public see this? They see food being transported to a cabin without knowing it's a medical thing and will want to do the same.

I love breakfast and get up in time to go eat hot breakfast either in dining room or buffet. But now with charging for room service, my wife would normally order some breakfast so she could eat while getting ready. Or I would bring her something from the buffet and I always take cookies or ice cream back to my room. Just trying NCL again after a few years hiatus over at RCCL, but already considering cancelling Alaska 2016 to go back over to RCCL. Free room service has always been a good selling point for cruises which make cruising more fun than land based vacation. However if NCL chooses to keep up with all the changes then I will be back to RCCL.

BTW, where is the Freestyle in all this?

I never bring food out of restaurants, but will sometimes take snacks out of the buffet. I also always take a glass of juice back to the room after breakfast to take my medication. I sometimes have difficulty swallowing and will gag. I'd prefer not to do that in public. I guess I would have to put out the breakfast request (for free) but it just seems ludicrous to have someone else bring me something so simple that I can easily carry. I agree with all those who believe the motivation is $$$. I will be monitoring how this all plays out. It's just one more strike against NCL. I won't stop cruising, but it may not be with NCL.

Yes - on crowded peak time cruises I often take my meal,back to my balcony cabin. Usually return the plate when I go back to get the coffee and water. Sometimes order the hot chicken wings and then go to buffet to get salad and eat with my other half. Freestyle no more now that Fidel Del Rio has taken over. So sad I'm locked in for one more cruise. I can cancel the other two. Room Service fee didn't effect me as I've never ordered room service, but I've definitely eaten meals in the cabin.

Edited by karoo

Occasionally we will take food from the buffet area to the pool deck, but other than that we do not take food to the room, nor do we typically order any room service.

Therefore this little change has no impact on my cruising.

I don't take meals back to our room...gross. I like the quiet of the room to enjoy a cup of coffee and a snack. I would be a little cranky if this was no longer allowed. If NCL would take all of the port/ship advertising papers and transform those to paper cookie/snack sleeves at the buffet for passengers to carry back to the room, then there would be fewer dishes left for the hallway. This would be a "convenience" for the pax.