Poll: Do you bring food to your cabin

Kenlorz

Do you take food back to your cabin?  

664 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take food back to your cabin?

• Yes, I bring food back to my cabin and I'm not happy about this new policy
    • No, I don't bring food back to my cabin and I could care less about this new policy
    • Yes, I bring food back to my cabin, policy is no big deal. I'll just pay $7.95 for Room Service now

I find it interesting that in at least the first pages of this thread that no's just about equal the yeses, when it came to bringing food back to your cabin. The reason I find that so interesting is that currently the poll sits at about 73% saying they bring food back and the changed rule does bother them, while only 25% say they don't bring food back.

Just goes to show that in the threads the majority of folks are not speaking up - except by voting in the poll. NCL might want to think about that, the silent majority is what keeps their ships afloat so you really don't want to disillusion them.

Edited by Snowrose

I find it interesting that in at least the first pages of this thread that no's just about equal the yeses, when it came to bringing food back to your cabin. The reason I find that so interesting is that currently the poll sits at about 73% saying they bring food back and the changed rule does bother them, while only 25% say they don't bring food back.

Just goes to show that in the threads the majority of folks are not speaking up - except by voting in the poll. NCL might want to think about that, the silent majority is what keeps their ships afloat so you really don't want to disillusion them.

Idk why people are so against a clean ship

Sorry, but 580 of the currently respond is not NCL's cruising population, that just number of posters responding in NCL CC forums (an extremely low number at that).....

Edited by maywell

Sorry, but 580 of the currently respond is not NCL's cruising population, that just number of posters responding in NCL CC forums (an extremely low number at that).....

How the heck do you think you know who is NCLs cruising population and who isn't???? Did you take roll call?

Idk why people are so against a clean ship

It has nothing to do with a clean ship, it is revenue based. I am an NCL fan, but this is just another small chip at my wallet. People use to post on CC how NCL nickel and dimed them and I use think they were just NCL haters. Now I am starting to see that maybe it is true.

My missus and I really enjoy quiet evening sitting on the balcony with a small snack, that is one part of the cruise that makes cruising a peaceful getaway from the real world.

I called Ncl and you can still do that, not bring the food by yourself but you can have it sent for free.

So what you're saying is, NCL charges $7.95 for room service and has a new rule you can't take food from dining areas, but you can have a restaurant send food to your room for free? :confused: That doesn't make sense.

Did you really talk to NCL or are you just making this stuff up?

So what you're saying is, NCL charges $7.95 for room service and has a new rule you can't take food from dining areas, but you can have a restaurant send food to your room for free? :confused: That doesn't make sense.

I could be wrong, but I think this rumor came about because one particular poster came back from their recent cruise and stated that when finishing up in a specialty restaurant they did not have room for dessert. They asked to take their dessert with them and were told no, but that it would be packaged and sent back to their room for them. So, right off the bat it seemed like NCL was willing to accommodate pax by personally delivering the uneaten foods. However, it later turned out that the poster who made this statement was in a Haven suite AND it was a specialty cake purchased from Carlos for a special occasion. So, I really don't think the servers will send your food to your room for you. If that was the case, wouldn't everyone take advantage of this free option verses paying the convenience fee from RS?

In fact, on the contrary, one particular family off of BA had to have their son's entire pizza from La Cucina thrown away because it could not leave the restaurant...not by delivery, not with their own hands, and not be the hair of their chinny-chin-chin ;):rolleyes: Personal delivery...I think not :cool:

You can either look at it as the silent majority is upset by the changes or that they have no issues with the changes.

Since anyone on this site can vote, we really have no way of know if they are posters who have actually sailed on NCL or others just chiming in (which has happened in the discussions as well), not that their opinions are not as valuable as anyone else's, but they really have no skin in the game. I'll also point out that 583 posters voted in the poll and NCL carries about 30,000 cruisers weekly, so the 583 posters represents less than two percent of NCL's weekly customers base. In addition, if you look at the USA Today article (which reaches substantially more people than Cruise Critic), they supplied a link to Facebook and the numbers are very low with regard to those used the link to either complain or say they have no issue (2.3% of NCL's weekly customers based used that link).

I'm in no way saying that anyone's opinion is not as valuable than the next, just putting into perspective that the numbers on the poll are a very small amount of those that cruise with NCL on a weekly basis. And to make the point that we have no idea what the silent majority is thinking, unless they speak up. Obviously, those that have an issue with the changes will say they are on their side and those without issues will say they are on their side, but we really have no idea.

If this poll were an election it would be a landslide with a big time mandate.

Even the losing side would have a tough time spinning this outcome as anything but a rout.

(and we don't know who votes in elections either, just whether we voted or not)

You can either look at it as the silent majority is upset by the changes or that they have no issues with the changes

It's also not an either/or proposition. You can honestly answer that yes you take food back to the room and you're not happy with the new policy without it being that big a deal to you.

I like to take a little plate of fruit or a pretzel roll back to the room with me when I am passing through the buffet. If it had been put up for a vote, I'd have voted to continue to be able to do so. If it's now a rule that you can't, so be it. I didn't do it on the first 6 cruises I took, as it never occurred to me til I read about it here. I can go back to not doing it. My yes vote is not an indication that I've got the torch and pitchfork out.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

In fact, on the contrary, one particular family off of BA had to have their son's entire pizza from La Cucina thrown away because it could not leave the restaurant...not by delivery, not with their own hands, and not be the hair of their chinny-chin-chin ;):rolleyes: Personal delivery...I think not :cool:

Did the waiters or matre D offer to wrestle for the pizza, or to lay hands or what? did they call security?

I'm still confused what would happen if I got up with the pizza on a plate and walked out?

"Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me!"

Did the waiters or matre D offer to wrestle for the pizza, or to lay hands or what? did they call security?

I'm still confused what would happen if I got up with the pizza on a plate and walked out?

"Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me!"

:D I say that all the time!

I have also been curious what happens and how it is going to be enforced. I think the majority wouldn't test the waters. But, it isn't as if there is any signage letting you know it can't be done. It isn't even on their website. More than likely experiences will differ depending on each individual situation until there is an actual policy that is known to all. Staff is not going to want to enforce this one with a guest that insists.

It has nothing to do with a clean ship, it is revenue based. I am an NCL fan, but this is just another small chip at my wallet. People use to post on CC how NCL nickel and dimed them and I use think they were just NCL haters. Now I am starting to see that maybe it is true.

My missus and I really enjoy quiet evening sitting on the balcony with a small snack, that is one part of the cruise that makes cruising a peaceful getaway from the real world.

I still don't see the nickel and diming, you can still eat all you want just not in your room.

If you order something in a restaurant and cannot finish it you can have the rest of what you ordered sent back to your room for free

If you order something in a restaurant and cannot finish it you can have the rest of what you ordered sent back to your room for free

Show me that in writing from NCL...because someone already reported from actual experience that they could not do that. That doesn't even make sense under their news rules, which is why I can't help but think you are making this up.

I just received a very lengthy and very nice phone call from the executive offices and resolution department. I did specifically ask about having unfinished or untouched food from specialty restaurants sent back to my room (I even gave multiple reasons that might warrant such a necessity...medical conditions to melting children). The answer was a definitive "NO". I even mentioned that Royal has often had our desserts sent to our room when we were too full to order one. Still a "no".

Sorry to say, but I believe the ONLY way this is happening is if you are in the Haven. It would then fall under Haven privileges.

I just received a very lengthy and very nice phone call from the executive offices and resolution department. I did specifically ask about having unfinished or untouched food from specialty restaurants sent back to my room (I even gave multiple reasons that might warrant such a necessity...medical conditions to melting children). The answer was a definitive "NO". I even mentioned that Royal has often had our desserts sent to our room when we were too full to order one. Still a "no".

Sorry to say, but I believe the ONLY way this is happening is if you are in the Haven. It would then fall under Haven privileges.

Well my next cruise is booked in the Haven so maybe that's why she said I could. this is just going to make people want to book The Haven even more. That makes sense because I've always thought as much more expensive as the Haven they should get a lot more perks than they do. Then of course there is Carnival which gives suite guests 0 perks

I have been known to take food from the snack bar or a left over dessert back to my room. And TBH, 9 times out of 10, I never eat it. In general, I am not an NCL fan, but I'm also not a fan of Royal's recent prices for comparable ship/itineraries so I have been taking NCL more lately. Where the policy does seem a little odd and the fee for room service is higher than I would pay, this really doesn't bother me.

I will say that I am huge fan of a clean ship, and it does kind of gross me out to eat by the pool (it's a personal thing, I'm not judging others!). I have maybe ordered room service once or twice in a pinch and even then, the food has never been very good.

I take medication that must be taken with food so I have always taken my own snacks and drinks aboard. I find this to be NBD. It's really easy to toss some granola bars and light snacks in my luggage. And I am sure if there is a documented medical need, they will accommodate you.

And let's get real, NCL is a for profit company. So sure they are going to find ways to increase their revenue and decrease their costs. Cleaning up after spilled food could potentially be expensive and it takes time away from other tasks for the cleaning crew. It could also leave a gross stain for the next guest to stare at in their stateroom, which then leads to negative reviews of the ship. And we all know how critical those reviews can be.

Just my $0.02...

Jess

Well my next cruise is booked in the Haven so maybe that's why she said I could. this is just going to make people want to book The Haven even more. That makes sense because I've always thought as much more expensive as the Haven they should get a lot more perks than they do. Then of course there is Carnival which gives suite guests 0 perks

So something that was common for almost 50 years is now a Haven only perk? It is not listed as a Haven perk. I think you are just guessing. Throw enough stuff at the wall and something will stick.

They can still cater to Haven guests and give them perks without resorting to treating the rest of us like second class citizens. Not everyone could afford to cruise in the Haven.

They can still cater to Haven guests and give them perks without resorting to treating the rest of us like second class citizens. Not everyone could afford to cruise in the Haven.

I'm just curious of the source of his information. Information he shared a few weeks ago has been demonstrably wrong. However given NCL's reluctance to clarify the issue and so many people claiming different things I think we should know the sources to determine if the information is useful or worthless. Everyone should have their minds open to changing opinion based on new evidence and verifiable facts.

Aren't you only doing a three day cruise?

The Haven is quite a bit more expensive on a 7 day cruise.

I dont bring food back to my room very often, but once every now and then, I like to bring a dessert or cookies back to the room for a snack later. This really wont affect me much. I do wonder how they will enforce this new rule though. I have not yet been on a Norwegian cruise, but will next year. Are the buffet areas enclosed by doors? Will there be someone at the door to inspect people as they come and go? I guess will have to wait till some people come back and report how this is being enforced.