4 year old with motion sickness. This is the first

helicopter

time traveling with one of my kids or grandkids that gets motion sickness. Anyone with young child that gets this? Would like to know what you gave them to help. Her mother is going to get her prescription filled for it before we go, but they seem to make her sleepy. Thought someone might have had this problem and wondering what they used. She can go on long trips in car and be fine, then go on one for 20 min and get upset to her stomach. I'm hoping she will be fine, but just in case...

I never got sea sick up until 10 years ago when I developed an inner ear condition call Benign Positional Vertigo - after that it didn't take much for me to get sea sick. Now, the morning of the cruise I pop a Bonine and take one every morning of the cruise and for about a week following the cruise so I don't get "the spins" - works like a charm and has never made me drowsy.

My oldest son has gotten sea sick and car sick since a baby - and I always gave him Bonine prior to an activity that might set him off and he did fine as well. Good luck!

I should add, when I gave him Dramamine he got drowsy, but the Bonine didn't seem to make him sleepy either!

Edited by Lurkyloo

My now 5 yo daughter has been prone to motion sickness (throwing up on car rides). So for her first cruise I bought her Dramamine Kids. I was only able to find it at Walgreens but it was for ages 2 and up and came in a 8 pill pack.

I give her one on the day we drive down for the cruise and one every morning whether she needs is or not. She has a 3 day, (2) 7 day, and one 8 day cruise under her belt with no issues at all. And our last cruise rocked a lot.

She didn't seem too drowsy. She was apt to fall asleep in the cabin in the afternoon but I think that was from all the fun she was having!

There's a non-drowsy formula of Dramamine too - and consider both the wrist bands (Target and other drug stores have them) and the behind the ear patches. Another thing - he's not sailed before so he isn't "expecting" to feel the motion - I would steer away from any conversation other than the fun we're going to have!

My D (now an adult) wore the wrist bands on every trip starting about your grandsons age.

Ask your pediatrician! They'll know best if your child can handle things like Dramamine for Kids or other motion sickness meds. Sea bands, ginger pills, et.al. work for some adults but not for others and may or may not help children whose bodies are not as developed as adults.

i had 2 different remedies from pediatricians, both of my kids have asthma so i asked what I should use for them.

The first year the pediatrician prescribed a Rx for my son- moderate seasickness, but I noticed when he took it he was not peeing, maybe once during the day and once at night, I tried upping his water intake but nothing changed, he was also constipated by the end of the week

the next year I changed doctors and the second pediatrician said to give my son Benadryl because it helps ease the symptoms of seasickness and we should not be giving motion sickness meds to kids because it can lead to severe dehydration. I gave him the recommended dosage for his weight and he had one episode of being queasy but nothing really bad, he had no problem going to the bathroom, and was not constipated.

I have also given them ginger candy which I take myself because it takes me two days to stop feeling sick when we cruise. I get mine from one of the Latin stores in Miami.

time traveling with one of my kids or grandkids that gets motion sickness. Anyone with young child that gets this? Would like to know what you gave them to help. Her mother is going to get her prescription filled for it before we go, but they seem to make her sleepy. Thought someone might have had this problem and wondering what they used. She can go on long trips in car and be fine, then go on one for 20 min and get upset to her stomach. I'm hoping she will be fine, but just in case...

I would try to pick a cabin less prone to ship movement too. (Not forward, lower is better, mid ship best, etc.)

Thank you for all the replies. This is Savanna's 1st cruise, I will hope for the best. Like I said her Dr will give her a prescription for it, I just hate it makes her sleepy. She is very excited about going.

I would suggest three things that are known to settle tummies without a prescription: ginger ale, peppermint candies and green apples. You should be able to bring all of these with you in a carryon. They don't have gingerale on board but you can bring a 12 pack/pp with you.

If your doctor says Bonine is safe, I use the raspberry flavored chewables. They can be snapped in half if the full dose would be too high for her weight. Check with the doctor, though.

There is also a homeopathic drop called Motion Ease that is put behind the ear. I would, again, check with the doctor to see if it would be safe.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

I have gotten motion sickness since I was 2 months old so I have lots of experience (cars, planes, trains, small boats, etc.). First off, with the cars - some cars trigger it while others do not. I can't go in a town & country if you pay me, but my mom's MDX is fine. The Neons from ten years ago were awful!! Also, sitting backwards (old school station wagons) are a no go.

That being said, I have rarely (I think twice in 18 cruises), become motion sick on a cruise ship. Low and middle for a cabin is essential. If she does become motion sick, the fresh air on the pool deck and being able to see what is going on will help. Low dose dramamine can help. But, one remedy that has not been mention is flat coke - not pepsi. If you can, get your pharmacy to order your coke syrup as it truly helps. Another option is ginger beer - not ginger ale (not enough ginger).

Also, my pediatrician mentioned years ago a pilot's watch that helps with motion sickness as well. Your daughter may want to ask the pediatrician about this as well.

I have 2 kids that are very prone to motion sickness. If we are in the vehicle more than an hour, I have to make sure we have buckets ready..

That being said, we went on a 5 day cruise. I had to give both of them motion sickness tablets on the way down to the port. Once on board, they never complained of the sickness. We hit bad waves on the last sea day and even then, not one of them complained (even though my husband and myself grabbed sea sickness pills that afternoon because we were both feeling it).. We never had to give them meds until we were in the vehicle and on the way home..

I hope this helps! I had packed some kid's dramamine (sp?), as a just in case and was to have it for the vehicle but never needed it for the ship. We have 4 kids and I had a ton of it left over, non-used but so thankful too.

I know OP indicated her granddaughter will have a prescription, but for anyone else reading this I suggest that after you get a recommendation from your child's doctor you try the medication on land to see how your child will react. That way if your child responds in a way that you are not expecting you have time to discuss that with the doctor and possibly get an alternative recommendation.

I personally get very drowsy on motion sick meds. Bonine knocks me out overnight and I'm still somewhat out of it the next morning. I can only take Dramamine if I plan to not drive or otherwise make important decisions for about 48hrs. And I have a child who is off the charts wired on Benadryl (which he has taken for allergies).

I never got sea sick up until 10 years ago when I developed an inner ear condition call Benign Positional Vertigo - after that it didn't take much for me to get sea sick. Now, the morning of the cruise I pop a Bonine and take one every morning of the cruise and for about a week following the cruise so I don't get "the spins" - works like a charm and has never made me drowsy.

My oldest son has gotten sea sick and car sick since a baby - and I always gave him Bonine prior to an activity that might set him off and he did fine as well. Good luck!

I should add, when I gave him Dramamine he got drowsy, but the Bonine didn't seem to make him sleepy either!

I never feel sick or dizzy ON the ship, but rock something awful for up to 3 weeks afterwards. Taking BONINE ON the ship can help with after effects?

Good to know- thanks![emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other thought to keep in mind. There is a difference between motion sickness and sea sickness. Many of us who have true motion sickness are fine on cruise ships. Motion sickness stems from two of your sensory systems (vestibular and visual) not communicating correctly in the brain. Sea sickness is caused by something else.

DS is 4 and gets terribly car sick. We give him 1/2 tablet of children's Dramamine before any long car ride. You can give a full tablet, but I find he's too out of it the rest of the day. On our last cruise he was fine and never needed any.

Motion Ease.

My daughter has had motion sickness since about 2.

We are lucky in Canada to have gravol for kids. I give her one for the plane ride, and one before dinner on day 1. Day 2 onwards all she uses is Motion Ease.

It is made of various essential oils (clove is one of them I think). You dab it behind the ears. We use it before meals. Since she was young, we've called it "Vacation Perfume" and the name has stuck.

It can be hard to find depending on where you live. I buy it at Walmarts in Florida, but i'm sure that some CVS or Walgreens may carry it too.

We start taking bonine about 5 days before cruise. It help tremendously however I was still rocking and rolling for weeks after the cruise( much to my kids amusement) My daughters also ALWAYS get ear aches after flying. Their pediatrician has recommend Claritin staring 7 days before they fly. We are going to try that this time, the only time they get ear aches is when they fly.