Poll on Specialty Restaurants

Iamthesea

Your experience?  

407 members have voted

1. 1. Your experience?

• No, have never dined in a SR's and don't plan to...waste of money.
    • No, have never dined in a SR, but do plan to on a future cruise.
    • Yes, but did not enjoy and do not plan to dine in SR's again.
    • Yes, and loved the experience. Plan on dining in SR's for future cruises.

I must be missing opportunities for years!! I have never once been offered a discount for a SR. And we have gladly paid the full price and have enjoyed all but one dining experience over a dozen years or more. That being said, it would be even sweeter and more delicious with a little bit of a bargain offering!!

I will continue to pay the full amount, it's part of the overall experience! But I'd love to know how you get these discounts!

Got this idea from a thread on RCCL.

If you are already a Celebrity cruiser, have you dined in a Specialty restaurant? Check the best answer.

There are no good answers in the poll.

Our answer is we use to dine in the M Class Specialty restaurants and we loved them until they went up in price and down graded the product and service. We have never done Qsine, Muranos, etc. because we feel the prices are not worth it.

We did love Bistro on 5 and use to go there also but now that is' up to $10 pp doubt we will be going back.

Edited by CruisingChick

Sorry you do not like the answers.

Perhaps the moderator can delete this thread and someone else feel free to make a new thread with better answers.. ;)

PS - It seems that 75% of cruisers responding are enjoying the SR's. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

Sorry you do not like the answers.

Perhaps the moderator can delete this thread and someone else feel free to make a new thread with better answers.. ;)

PS - It seems that 75% of cruisers responding are enjoying the SR's. :)

No Way! You done great! Let it be:)

We loved the Lawn Club Grill on Reflection, but found Silk Harvest to be equally as great on the Equinox last yr.

We normally use some OBC to get the 3 dinner pkg, ( which brings the cost down ) and have a comp from the Celebrity Visa.

This yr will be a hard choice as we are in Aqua for the first time, BLU!

But the Beef Tar Tar in Tuscan is already sending out whispers in soft hushed tone's, and we are 190 days out!

Bottom line, we all do things a tad different than each other, it is what makes the world go round and round. Otherwise what a dull world it would be.

But I agree, 75% is alot bigger % than I would have expected too.

EW

357345003_cruise031.jpg.d078f6e03a84565a71e93c51b3f6f53b.jpg

706801265_cruise029.jpg.ce72ab3cd8fcd0ece052c7cb2d6d75a2.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

I'm in the 75% group who enjoys the specialty restaurants. I am so glad to discover that I am one of the majority that appreciates these restaurants. We dine in each of them at least once on each cruise. For us it's an integral part of the cruise experience. Can't understand taking a cruise and then avoiding the unique experiences that are available on the ships. Isn't traveling all about experiencing new things?

Edited by SantaFeFan

Tried a couple SR on Celebrity, in my opinion not worth the extra charge. I think if you live in an area which doesn't have fine dining restaurants then you might find the SR's special. However, if you live in a large city you have such a choice of very fine restaurants from which to choose that it makes the ship SR's look a bit cheesy, considerably missing the "fine dining" mark in service and food choices and quality. Save your money and eat out at home if you have fine dining choices available in your area.

Tried a couple SR on Celebrity, in my opinion not worth the extra charge. I think if you live in an area which doesn't have fine dining restaurants then you might find the SR's special. However, if you live in a large city you have such a choice of very fine restaurants from which to choose that it makes the ship SR's look a bit cheesy, considerably missing the "fine dining" mark in service and food choices and quality. Save your money and eat out at home if you have fine dining choices available in your area.

Tho Dallas is not as 'large' a city as Houston we have a good number of 'fine dinning' establishments. Of which our DD has served at a good number of!:eek:

Non have a beef tartar to match Tuscan.

Thanks wallie5446

Oh, and that Tar Tar is delicious! That's the appetizer that I had for the second meal at Tuscan. Fish was the entrée that was not very good. :)

We also have some fine dining establishments. We also have some mediocre places to eat that are very expensive - way more than the food was worth. Had a meal at Tupelo Honey the other night and were shocked that with 4 small plates (appetizers) and a couple of drinks each, our bill came to $150.00!

Our local club has outstanding meals (take-out, as well :D) and we spend, on average, about $45pp with drinks when we eat there. And the best part is that it's just a golf cart away!

I have never eaten at a SR and I never will, unless, for some reason, I get to eat there for free. I guess I'm too frugal. I've already paid for a dinner in the MDR, and since I always got Select Dining, I've already prepaid my tips, so why should I go out of my way to pay for a meal in a SR when I've already paid and tipped for a meal in the MDR? When I'm at home, I never go to a restaurant, hand over enough money for a meal and the tip and say, "I"m not going to eat here! I'm going to another restaurant and pay them $25.00 so that I can eat there!"

If I ever should be given a free meal at a SR, I hope the tip would be included, because I don't see the point of tipping for a meal at a SR when I've already tipped for an uneaten meal in the MDR.

And I would never dream of saying that I don't want to pay my autograts! If i were working on the ship and depending on passengers' tips, if another employee goofed off and provided bad service, and passengers withheld their autograts, that would wind up hurting me, and I hadn't even done anything wrong. I have no desire to penalize the ship's valuable employees if some rotten apples don't do their jobs well. So I'm frugal, but I'm not cheap.

I love the SR on the Allure of the Seas. Now this is my first Celebirty cruise on the 15th. I am eating in the Tuscan Grill 2 times and Murano once---so time will tell in a few days for this ship.

I love the SR on the Allure of the Seas. Now this is my first Celebirty cruise on the 15th. I am eating in the Tuscan Grill 2 times and Murano once---so time will tell in a few days for this ship.

In Tuscan the Beef Tartar is a must! And when they recommend the rib eye, PASS! Order the Filet!

I have never eaten at a SR and I never will, unless, for some reason, I get to eat there for free. I guess I'm too frugal. I've already paid for a dinner in the MDR, and since I always got Select Dining, I've already prepaid my tips, so why should I go out of my way to pay for a meal in a SR when I've already paid and tipped for a meal in the MDR? When I'm at home, I never go to a restaurant, hand over enough money for a meal and the tip and say, "I"m not going to eat here! I'm going to another restaurant and pay them $25.00 so that I can eat there!"

So I'm frugal, but I'm not cheap.

It has been posted on these boards and other sites that the average cost of food and preparation on a cruise ship is about $14 per person per day. That includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and snacks - all the food you eat during the entire day. The dinner in the MDR is about 40% of that cost, or about $6 per person per day.

So, yes, you have paid for your MDR dinner already. But, it's about the same as what someone would pay for a meal at McDonald's. Refusing to sample the different foods and ambiance in the specialty restaurants just to not waste a measly $6 seems to a bit short sighted to me. The experience of a quieter, more intimate dining space and the higher quality of the meals are worth losing that $6 on occasion.

As for the gratuities you have already paid, only about 25% goes to the MDR staff each night. Most goes to your stateroom attendants and to the same MDR staff for working the buffet and other dining venues for breakfast, lunch and snacks.

So your poor example of "go to a restaurant, hand over enough money for a meal and the tip and say, "I"m not going to eat here!"" is rather naive, since you are only "wasting" less than $10 for that meal you are obsessing over missing. Where can you get a meal and ambiance on land comparable to what you can get in a specialty restaurant for the price of the meal plus that measly $10?

Seems a real shame to deny yourself the opportunity to experience different and unique dining venues, more personalized service, and higher quality meals just to avoid "wasting" $10 once or twice per cruise.

Frugal is hardly the correct description.

By, hey, it's your money. You can pinch it as tight as you want. :);)

Edited by SantaFeFan

So, yes, you have paid for your MDR dinner already. But, it's about the same as what someone would pay for a meal at McDonald's. Refusing to sample the different foods and ambiance in the specialty restaurants just to not waste a measly $6 seems to a bit short sighted to me. The experience of a quieter, more intimate dining space and the higher quality of the meals are worth losing that $6 on occasion.

Where can you get a meal and ambiance on land comparable to what you can get in a specialty restaurant for the price of the meal plus that measly $10?

The only place that I can eat for $10 is Bistro on 5, which until recently every meal was served in a 'pancake/ crepe.'

As I am dairy intolerant, I find that the MDR suits my needs as the Maitre 'D has been informed of my Lactose intolerance!

I am not going to pay $$ extra for food I cannot eat.

We have dined in Murano and Tuscan Grill on Eclipse and prefer TG for the fantastic views, especially if you dine as you leave Stockholm, not tried Qsine it llooks to be more about style than substance.

Edited by terrierjohn

I'm going to another restaurant and pay them $25.00 so that I can eat there!"

If only the SR on Celebrity were $25.00 pp then we might go once a cruise but they are mostly are $50 per person, except for Bistro which is $10 which we would not consider for dinner as it's mostly a crepe and sandwich place - they do have some new entrees but I'd rather eat in the MDR. So we stopped going.

I'm curious as to whether you people who refuse to pay $50pp to dine on the ship also refuse to pay a similar amount to dine on land.

Like another poster stated I have already paid for food and gratuities when I book the cruise, paying extra for a SR is not worth it. We do not feel they are worth $50 pp. A surcharge of $25 pp is more than enough.

Another poster stated that the food costs of the cruise ship per person is only $14 per day, I'm sure this includes the food they get for their specialty restaurants and I doubt they buy it separate.

It's apples and oranges comparing it to dining on land.

I'm curious as to whether you people who refuse to pay $50pp to dine on the ship also refuse to pay a similar amount to dine on land.

I have never paid that sort of price for a meal, especially when I have already 'paid' for my meal once.

Edited by upwarduk

I'm curious too! And I just can't wrap my head around paying $$$$ for a vacation cruise, and not enhancing that vacation with a lovely, intimate dining experience with incredible ambiance and food. Even at $50 pp, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the total price of the cruise. Our SR experiences have often been highlights on our trips.

I'm curious too! And I just can't wrap my head around paying $$$$ for a vacation cruise' date=' and not enhancing that vacation with a lovely, intimate dining experience with incredible ambiance and food. Even at $50 pp, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the total price of the cruise. Our SR experiences have often been highlights on our trips.[/quote']

I'm struggling with that line of thinking as well. First if all its a vacation - a time for spending money on things you may not normally treat yourself to. Second, without getting into a quality of food/service debate, $50 or $60 doesn't get you much at a US or UK restaurant - $40 for Tuscan Grill or $45 for LCG or Murano seems like a steal to me. Then again, when someone says they've never spent $50 for a meal, I guess dining out is just not something they do or place any value on.