Poll on Specialty Restaurants

Iamthesea

Your experience?  

407 members have voted

1. 1. Your experience?

• No, have never dined in a SR's and don't plan to...waste of money.
    • No, have never dined in a SR, but do plan to on a future cruise.
    • Yes, but did not enjoy and do not plan to dine in SR's again.
    • Yes, and loved the experience. Plan on dining in SR's for future cruises.

Yes, I have eaten in SR's, either when they were free while staying in a suite or at half price. I am firmly decided that I will never pay more than $25. I unashamedly identify as one of those aforementioned cheapskates.

We sailed on the Reflection in Feb and ate in Murano, Qsine, Tuscan Grill, and the Lawn Grill. We have loved the SRs on Princess and HAL. Murano was good, but not great. Qsine was fun, but quirky. The service, food, and atmosphere in the Tuscan Grill was to be polite.... Bad. The lawn club was relaxed and fun. For the price, however, we really expect more from X compared to the other SRs we have dined in. At least on the Reflection, Celebrity has to step it up a notch. We have heard so many great things about the food on Celebrity. Maybe our experience was an anomaly? I'll be on the Connie later this year and will try Ocean Liners.

We ate in Tuscan on Reflection (yes, we received half off) after positive experiences in Eclipse and Silhouette. We also had poor service and food.

If we would be doing another sailing, the answer would be . . . "IT DEPENDS". Much of the variation is up in the air depending for what the pricing points and potential packages would be available at that time of our sailing. These locations do allow more flexibility in timing that with the main dining room where the early or late timing can be a little challenging at times.

This poll needs an added category for having done these experiences, liked it, but not totally certain depending on several other factors, including costs.

To me, your choice should still be that you PLAN to book a SR...it just depends on certain factors. :)

No choice was provided for us. We dined once at a SR and it just wasn't worth the cost.

Your choice would be #3

"Yes, but did not enjoy and do not plan to dine in SR's again. " ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

We're in the category between "didn't like it" and "loved it". We always enjoy the SRs, but don't feel we have to go on every cruise. We see what mood we're in, or if there are deals, then decide from there. We will also go if invited by new friends on board, but wouldn't necessarily initiate a specialty restaurant dinner ourselves.

Another who has very much enjoyed, but not necessarily planning on going again. :)

Booking in AQ I just can't justify the extra expense, & with long port days, really don't want to spend the additional time. :)

If they offer an amazing deal in Tuscan Grill I might consider it, but it would need to be more than the 20 to 30% off they offered last time.

Had two free meals on Infinity. Did not enjoy Qsine on Silhouette several years ago but decided to give it another try so my husband could experience it, and it was free. Sorry to say neither of us liked the food or service. We also had a free meal in SS United States. Wonderful service; average food. We found the food in the MD and buffet to be just fine so we will probably just stick to those on future cruises. Everyone has different experiences, to say the least!

We enjoyed BLU so much, didn't really care to try go anywhere else...but did try Quisine and we were not impressed...Presentation was cool, but it was soo greasy, sort of ruined the rest of the night as we felt a bit ill!

We have eaten in a Specialty Restaurant on Celebrity and enjoyed the experience, but given the high cost have no plan to do it again. We find the price of special meals - Chef's Table, Winemaker's Dinner and Ultimate Balcony Dinner much better value on Princess cruises and try one or more of them each time we cruise with that line.

Sheila

The speciality restaurants are one of the things I look forward to most when we sail Celebrity, the food is always excellent, and I love the different ambience offered.

Thanks for those great photos too! We have booked Muranos twice for our forthcoming cruise simoly because I know I will struggle to decide between dishes (and with staff like that I will need to go twice!!!)

Thanks for those great photos too! We have booked Muranos twice for our forthcoming cruise simoly because I know I will struggle to decide between dishes (and with staff like that I will need to go twice!!!)

Hands off, Louise, I spotted him first :D :p. We're back on Equinox for 14 nights in August, think I may have to book the Ultimate Dining package :eek: :D.

Joking aside, OP, perhaps it would be interesting to ask in a poll who actually pays full price to eat at the SRs i.e. not from freebies because of cabin selection, TA perks, packages etc., but paying full price on their account? We only visit if there is a discount, barring Bistro of course.

Edited by villauk

Always have,and always will, make visits to the SR restaurants part of our cruising experience.

Murano for its theatre and service, Tuscan for its ambiance and steaks, Silk Harvest for its friendly unstuffy atmosphere!

To me, your choice should still be that you PLAN to book a SR...it just depends on certain factors. :)

Your choice would be #3

"Yes, but did not enjoy and do not plan to dine in SR's again. " ;)

No, we did enjoy our meals, just not for that price.

My husband won't even pay for Bistro on 5.

Unfortunately, I have a dairy intolerance, it's difficult enough getting the right food at home, which I have to pay a premium for. The Maitre'D in the MDR are excellent.

My wife and I LOVE Qsine! We've also eaten at Murano as well and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The French style restaurants (Normandie, Olympic, etc.) intrigue me, but for my tastes there's not a lot on the menu I would eat.

No option fits, so I didn't vote, but I will say Ocean Liners is simply great. The food, the service, the ambiance. For the rest, I have enjoyed them to varying degrees but it takes a special deal to lure me from the MDR or Blu.

OP

You need to do this poll again! Twice.

I've dined in specialty restaurant and

1. I always enjoy it and will continue to.

2. I enjoyed it very much, but will not be doing it in the future because I'm too frugal. The cost has gone up too much.

3. I did not enjoy it and will not be going again.

4. It's none of your business :D

I've never experienced specialty restaurant because

1. I haven't gotten around to it yet

2. I have no desire because I'm too frugal

3. I have no desire because I enjoy the MDR

4. It's none of your business :D

For me, I would choose

2. I enjoyed it very much, but will not be doing it in the future because I'm too frugal. The cost has gone up too much.

PS Celebrity, if you're reading this, your bean counters have counted a few too many beans.:eek:

We are cruising on the Summit very soon. We will be eating at Qsine. I saw it on Top Chef years ago and wanted to try it. While I am sure the other restaurant is good, I don't have any interest in trying it for the $ they are charging.

Our last cruise was in 2014 on Royal Caribbean and we in SR, but vouchers were given by our TA.

Our cruise before that was in 2001 and there weren't any specialty restaurants.

Joking aside, OP, perhaps it would be interesting to ask in a poll who actually pays full price to eat at the SRs i.e. not from freebies because of cabin selection, TA perks, packages etc., but paying full price on their account? We only visit if there is a discount, barring Bistro of course.

I picked option 4 as I love the specialty restaurants, but IMHO you needed a category that said "love to dine in SR, but the prices are driving me away".:(

Anyone... please feel free to start another Poll. Because CC does not allow a change in threads after 30 minutes, my Poll is what it is! :(:mad::rolleyes:

villauk - On my last cruise, we dined in Lawn Club with our Suite perk on the first night. Dined in Qsine with 20% off mid-week. Dined in Bistro for lunch at full price,. The last night of the cruise, we paid full price to go back to Lawn Club because we loved the food and experience.

The cruise we took a few weeks prior, DH and I dined twice in Tuscan Grill. I believe that we were offered 50% off the first night, but paid full for the second meal. 1st night was excellent! The 2nd was just so, so. Different dish choices made a difference. The odd thing was that the presentation and tastes of our favorite salad - with fried goat cheese - changed from one meal to the next. :(

Edited by Iamthesea

Anyone... please feel free to start another Poll. Because CC does not allow a change in threads after 30 minutes, my Poll is what it is! :(:mad::rolleyes:

villauk - On my last cruise, we dined in Lawn Club with our Suite perk on the first night. Dined in Qsine with 20% off mid-week. Dined in Bistro for lunch at full price,. The last night of the cruise, we paid full price to go back to Lawn Club because we loved the food and experience.

The cruise we took a few weeks prior, DH and I dined twice in Tuscan Grill. I believe that we were offered 50% off the first night, but paid full for the second meal. 1st night was excellent! The 2nd was just so, so. Different dish choices made a difference. The odd thing was that the presentation and tastes of our favorite salad - with fried goat cheese - changed from one meal to the next. :(

Oops....;)

Yes, it's interesting to see you only paid full price twice in all your visits (not counting Bistro as it's a little different) - I'm sure the majority of us only attend when there's a discount of some sorts. I wasn't complaining about your poll, quite the contrary, just stating that I'd be curious to see who actually pays full price of those guests who say they would return, especially after reading all the comments on this thread about the SRs being overpriced ;). Perhaps it would also highlight the issue of overpricing to X - or not, as the case may be ;).

Would the poor second meal deter you from eating in the Tuscan Grill again on that particular ship?

As mentioned, except for the salad ingredients changing mid-week, it was a poor meal choice that disappointed us. We need to stick to what we know...filets. ;)

While we love a discount or freebie, we would book some SR's at full price to be able to have what we want to eat. That was true of the Lawn Club. Tuscan was a fluke and a lesson learned.

Yes, we will definitely eat there on our upcoming cruise on the Eclipse. Will pay the new pricing at Bistro, too! Probably Murano, as well (we have some OBC to burn). Will skip Qsine this time around.

I was hoping that Muushka would post her questions in a Poll. ;) If I post another one, I will get criticized for posting two alike threads. :rolleyes: :D

Edited by Iamthesea

IMHO specialty restaurants are not worth full asking price as the value does not match the full asking price. However, with discount pricing specialty restaurants could be an option. Don't mind paying higher fare but the value must equal to the pricing.

As I have to pay a single supplement on my cruise fare, Celebrity has "eaten" my money for a specialty restaurant already. Same for every other cruise line, of course - that´s why I never go to a specialty restaurant when travelling alone. The only dinner I had in a specialty restaurant was on AIDAsol when travelling with a friend and we were celebrating a special day. I liked it but I find specialty restaurants to be too expensive for me.