Poll on Specialty Restaurants

Iamthesea

Your experience?  

407 members have voted

1. 1. Your experience?

• No, have never dined in a SR's and don't plan to...waste of money.
    • No, have never dined in a SR, but do plan to on a future cruise.
    • Yes, but did not enjoy and do not plan to dine in SR's again.
    • Yes, and loved the experience. Plan on dining in SR's for future cruises.

The SR are way over priced for what you get. When the increased muranos price they also lowered the quality of the food and cheapened the offerings to what to use would not be worth $20 each let alone $50 each.

I'm still have the old thinking that all food should be included.

So we love it when we walk by enpty SR restaurants at the peak dining times.

The SR are way over priced for what you get. When the increased muranos price they also lowered the quality of the food and cheapened the offerings to what to use would not be worth $20 each let alone $50 each.

And those are exact same feelings. The M Class specialty restaurants were unbelievable when those ships first came out and they were $25 per person. Last time we went and paid it was $35 and it just was not as good, now they have raised them to $50. Our last cruise we had complimentary dinner in Normandie and while it was very good, it was not worth paying the extra $50 pp - $100 for 2 people.

I'm struggling with that line of thinking as well. First if all its a vacation - a time for spending money on things you may not normally treat yourself to.

First of all, I had no idea that it costs $50, not $25, to eat in a SR. And I didn't know that it costs $14 per day for all the food. I have never seen that figure before, which is NOT my way of saying that I disagree. It's just that I didn't know how much of our cruisefare is allocated to meals. And I had no idea as to how much of the autograt winds up in the pockets of the waiters. I wish that the cruiselines would make such things clear, so that all of us would know what was going on.

But I do disagree with the concept that a vacation is "time for spending money on things you may not normally treat yourself to." Maybe I don't "treat" myself to those things because I do not consider them to be treats. I would never spend $25 on a restaurant meal, and the idea of spending $50 - well, it's not going to happen. People like different things, and I don't see why SantaFeFan should say about me "Frugal is hardly the correct description." SantaFeFan doesn't know me! And doesn't know about the charities that I generously support (and since I take the standard deduction, I don't get to take deductions on my income tax, in case you were going to say that).

Maybe I prefer to support charities that are close to my heart instead of spending $50 on a restaurant meal, or $50 on a SR when I've already spent $6 (according to SantaFeFan). But all SantaFeFan can say is

"You can pinch it as tight as you want."

SantaFeFan, you sound like such a wonderful person! Too bad I don't think I'll be running into you on a cruise, since you'll be spending all your time in SRs, and I'll be in the MDR, where I genuinely like the food.

I have never paid that sort of price for a meal, especially when I have already 'paid' for my meal once.

Try it sometime. You will learn what you are missing. Best meal I've ever had was $175 pp before tax, tip, and alcohol. Well worth every dime. It wasn't just a meal, it was an extraordinary experience.

Hmmm that's weird that you see empty SR's. In the last couple years, we've had challenges getting reservations during prime time. Sometimes the only thing open is at 9pm.

Well that is promising. If enough of you are set against SR's, that leaves more availability for the rest of us! Thanks!

And instead of saying that Celebrity nickels and dimes it's customers, I would say that many passengers nickel and dime anything considered an "extra." I once met a couple on a cruise who had a zero balance at the end of the trip, except for the mandatory tips. They refused to spend one cent. They smuggled in their own vodka, and were waaay beyond frugal. In my opinion, they did not have nearly the experience we had. As we had our smoothies on the deck, they had to run back to their cabin and get their liquor. They sat without cocktails at every event or venue, and admitted they were not thrilled with the MDR.

Oh well. it's all about freedom of choice!

Try it sometime. You will learn what you are missing. Best meal I've ever had was $175 pp before tax, tip, and alcohol. Well worth every dime. It wasn't just a meal, it was an extraordinary experience.

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! It's the experience!!

People like different things

Precisely what I was getting at - and, more to the point, I was hoping to draw out the fact that many people who make the comments like "$50 is too much"' also wouldn't spend $50 on a meal on land either. It provides some meaningful contact for those hoping to get an objective opinion on the SR's.

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! It's the experience!!

We went in September on Summit to Normandie and for us it just wasn't that much of an experience. It was nicer when the had the live music by the harpist, the table side preparation, the synchronized table service and the expanded cheese course with the sliced apples, crackers, bread, celery. etc. The cheese course is definitely not as good as it was when they first started and the price is double.

I'm curious as to whether you people who refuse to pay $50pp to dine on the ship also refuse to pay a similar amount to dine on land.

I have no issue with parting with $100. We just spent 4 days in the wine country and paid that for lunch never mind dinner. I just don't find the specialty restaurants worth that much of an up charge over the MDR. I'm a pretty good cook so it's going to have to be very special as I can probably do better at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruise Junky

First of all, I had no idea that it costs $50, not $25, to eat in a SR. And I didn't know that it costs $14 per day for all the food. I have never seen that figure before, which is NOT my way of saying that I disagree. It's just that I didn't know how much of our cruisefare is allocated to meals. And I had no idea as to how much of the autograt winds up in the pockets of the waiters. I wish that the cruiselines would make such things clear, so that all of us would know what was going on.

But I do disagree with the concept that a vacation is "time for spending money on things you may not normally treat yourself to." Maybe I don't "treat" myself to those things because I do not consider them to be treats. I would never spend $25 on a restaurant meal, and the idea of spending $50 - well, it's not going to happen. People like different things, and I don't see why SantaFeFan should say about me "Frugal is hardly the correct description." SantaFeFan doesn't know me! And doesn't know about the charities that I generously support (and since I take the standard deduction, I don't get to take deductions on my income tax, in case you were going to say that).

Maybe I prefer to support charities that are close to my heart instead of spending $50 on a restaurant meal, or $50 on a SR when I've already spent $6 (according to SantaFeFan). But all SantaFeFan can say is

"You can pinch it as tight as you want."

SantaFeFan, you sound like such a wonderful person! Too bad I don't think I'll be running into you on a cruise, since you'll be spending all your time in SRs, and I'll be in the MDR, where I genuinely like the food.

Thanks for the "wonderful person" compliment. :)

I don't spend money on things I don't want, either. I don't book suites, or Aqua Class, or spend any time in the spa getting massages or whatever they do in there. It's because I don't care to spend my money on things I won't enjoy. Just like you.

But, it has nothing to do with being frugal. It is about choosing only those things that I will enjoy.

So, in many ways, I am just like you. Money doesn't come easily. I have to work hard for it. But, when it's time for me to take a vacation, I will gladly spend money on the things I do like to enjoy. Cruises are one. Spending time before and after a cruise enjoying the local culture and cuisine is another. Hiring private guides to take me only to places I want to visit. AND, sampling the dining choices available on the ships.

I pinch my pennies pretty tight myself at home to save for my vacations. But when on those vacations, I tend to treat myself since I am not doing my home routine, but am usually somewhere exotic or interesting that I have never been to before, doing things I rarely do, some that I will probably never do again in my lifetime.

Life is good! ;)

PS: we only dine in each specialty restaurant only once per cruise. Most nights we enjoy the MDR - perhaps at the table next to yours. :)

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'm struggling with that line of thinking as well. First if all its a vacation - a time for spending money on things you may not normally treat yourself to. Second, without getting into a quality of food/service debate, $50 or $60 doesn't get you much at a US or UK restaurant - $40 for Tuscan Grill or $45 for LCG or Murano seems like a steal to me. Then again, when someone says they've never spent $50 for a meal, I guess dining out is just not something they do or place any value on.

Most who comment like this get to cruise 2-3 times a year, not once every 12-18 months. If we could 'BOTH' get the time off work, it would not have taken us 20 years to get the number of cruises or points to reach Elite.

So I see both sides of the issue. But we like you, only get one shot a year to set foot on Ship, and will make sure it is a wonderful vacation.

EW

Thanks for the "wonderful person" compliment.

You're more than welcome!

I don't spend money on things I don't want, either. I don't book suites, or Aqua Class, or spend any time in the spa getting massages or whatever they do in there. It's because I don't care to spend my money on things I won't enjoy. Just like you.

But, it has nothing to do with being frugal. It is about choosing only those things that I will enjoy.

So, in many ways, I am just like you.

You are NOTHING like me! Did I say anything to anyone that sounded remotely like "Frugal is hardly the correct description" or

"You can pinch it as tight as you want"? Mo, I did not. But you felt free to say it to me, instead of going along with other people here who have said that it's all about freedom of choice. IMHO telling someone that he/she can "pinch it as tight as you want" is not very respectful of their choice.

PS: we only dine in each specialty restaurant only once per cruise. Most nights we enjoy the MDR - perhaps at the table next to yours. [/quote[

Not unless you do Select Dining.

If the cruiseline didn't make us prepay all of our meals ahead of time in the cruisefare, and if we were allowed to book each meal and decide if we wanted to eat in the MDR or the buffet or a SR, I might then consider eating in a SR. It's not just the cost of the meal, even though I don't spend $25, let alone $50, for a restaurant meal at home. It's the idea that I have to pay for a meal in the MDR ahead of time in my fare, and then I would have to pay more money for another meal if I wanted to eat in a SR. Even if I prepaid only $6, it's like me going to a McDonalds, giving them $6, maybe putting a dollar in their tip jar if they have one (some of them do), and then saying, "I'm not going to eat here! I'm going somewhere else where I can pay $50 to eat!" I just don't do that sort of thing. But if I hadn't already been "forced" to lay out $6 for dinner, plus a tip, then who knows?

If the cruiseline didn't make us prepay all of our meals ahead of time in the cruisefare, and if we were allowed to book each meal and decide if we wanted to eat in the MDR or the buffet or a SR, I might then consider eating in a SR. It's not just the cost of the meal, even though I don't spend $25, let alone $50, for a restaurant meal at home. It's the idea that I have to pay for a meal in the MDR ahead of time in my fare, and then I would have to pay more money for another meal if I wanted to eat in a SR. Even if I prepaid only $6, it's like me going to a McDonalds, giving them $6, maybe putting a dollar in their tip jar if they have one (some of them do), and then saying, "I'm not going to eat here! I'm going somewhere else where I can pay $50 to eat!" I just don't do that sort of thing. But if I hadn't already been "forced" to lay out $6 for dinner, plus a tip, then who knows?

So you would like to see the entire cruise industry change to an 'Al la cart' vacation just like a hotel? Pay for the room, pay for each meal, pay for this then that?

Wonder why it ain't been tried?

ps: no one has forced you to do anything, you know the ropes when you booked and paid for the package.

Edited by wallie5446

ps: no one has forced you to do anything, you know the ropes when you booked and paid for the package.

I know that. I haven't complained about not going to SRs. I've merely said why I haven't gone, and I've said what would let me consider going, but it is not a complaint for me to say "what if they did this" when I am happy to do what I've done.

Yes, I used the word "forced," but you will note that I used it with quotation marks, meaning that I did not literally mean forced. I just meant that there was no getting around the fact that I have prepaid for my meals, and I, for one, do not care to pay for meal #1. not eat it, and then pay for meal #2 to be eaten at the same time I would have eaten meal #1. Again, it is not a complaint. And of course I know the ropes. That is why I would never dream of asking for a rebate for my uneaten meal if I should go to a SR.

If the cruiseline didn't make us prepay all of our meals ahead of time in the cruisefare, and if we were allowed to book each meal and decide if we wanted to eat in the MDR or the buffet or a SR,

Yes, I used the word "forced," but you will note that I used it with quotation marks, meaning that I did not literally mean forced. I just meant that there was no getting around the fact that I have prepaid for my meals, and I, for one, do not care to pay for meal #1. not eat it, and then pay for meal #2 to be eaten at the same time I would have eaten meal #1. Again, it is not a complaint. And of course I know the ropes. That is why I would never dream of asking for a rebate for my uneaten meal if I should go to a SR.

Now you have me totally confused:confused:

The cruise line made you 'pre pay'

Yet you don't like to have to do so.

Yet you know the ropes, that is the way it is done, but you don't care for it.

Yet you book a cruise?

Why would you dream of waste you hard earned $ in such a fashion is what has me :confused:

To each their own, back to the poll.

Edited by wallie5446

I do agree with others that have said the "discounted" SR reservations are our option.

We enjoyed Ocean Liners in San Juan on the Constellation. With out the discount, we very likely would not have booked it.

It was a wonderful experience.

When looking on 'My Celebrity,' I noticed that the price for the Specality resteraunt 3 meal package was FROM £64.35, which seemed reasonable- £21.45 per meal p.p. However, what does the 'from' mean, is it dependant on which Resteraunt they place you in ( Murano's price is from £29.25)

It says they decide on your first night.

Or is it dependant on the number of courses you choose?

When looking on 'My Celebrity,' I noticed that the price for the Specality resteraunt 3 meal package was FROM £64.35, which seemed reasonable- £21.45 per meal p.p. However, what does the 'from' mean, is it dependant on which Resteraunt they place you in ( Murano's price is from £29.25)

It says they decide on your first night.

Or is it dependant on the number of courses you choose?

On the US site, under "Specialty Dining Packages" there are drop down menus allowing you to choose ship and number of nights (3, 4 or 5). Once you make your selections, the price and restaurant choices are shown - more nights - lower price per meal.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-specialty-dining-packages

Got this idea from a thread on RCCL.

If you are already a Celebrity cruiser, have you dined in a Specialty restaurant? Check the best answer.

I voted on the first one but the more appropriate answer would have been, "I would use a SR if the price were right". I understand that when you are creating polls it's difficult to cover most responses. I have considered SR on Celebrity but I find the prices to be too high. I used one on Norwegian and very much enjoyed it and would do it again. Their prices are not as high. Thanks for the question.

Now you have me totally confused

Sorry about that! Maybe I can straighten things out.

The cruise line made you 'pre pay'

That's true. You have to pay for your cruise a number of weeks or months before you set sail. I mean, you're not going to say that someone could charge their cruise, and then pay only the minimum amount on their credit card each month, meaning that they might not wind up paying the full amount of their cruise until years later, are you? And all meals are included in the cruise, right? So we prepay for our cruise and meals.

Yet you don't like to have to do so.

PLEASE point out where I said something like "I have to prepay my meals on a cruise, and I don't like it at all!" I never said anything like that. All I said was that I have to prepay my meals. I did say that if I didn't have to, then I would consider going to a SR, but that does NOT mean that I don't want to prepay my meals. If I said, "If it rains tomorrow, I will take an umbrella," does that mean that I don't like rain? Or I don't like nice weather? All it means is that if this should happen, that would happen. It has nothing to do with what I like.

Yet you know the ropes, that is the way it is done, but you don't care for it.

Again, PLEASE point out where I said that I don't "care for it." I would really appreciate it.

Yet you book a cruise?

Sure. I like cruises.

Why would you dream of waste you hard earned $ in such a fashion is what has me

I don't understand this at all! Why do you think I am wasting my money? What am I wasting it on? I eat the meals that I have already paid for. How is that wasting my money? PLEASE let me know how I am wasting my money eating meals that I have already paid for, because i cannot figure out what you mean.

Edited by vacation luvver

You are NOTHING like me! Did I say anything to anyone that sounded remotely like "Frugal is hardly the correct description" or

"You can pinch it as tight as you want"? Mo, I did not. But you felt free to say it to me, instead of going along with other people here who have said that it's all about freedom of choice. IMHO telling someone that he/she can "pinch it as tight as you want" is not very respectful of their choice.

I am trying to have a friendly conversation with you and all you do is respond with hostility. Your choice. Not mine.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Keeping up any hostile conversations may get this thread removed. Maybe that would be a good thing. :D

I voted on the first one but the more appropriate answer would have been, "I would use a SR if the price were right". I understand that when you are creating polls it's difficult to cover most responses. I have considered SR on Celebrity but I find the prices to be too high. I used one on Norwegian and very much enjoyed it and would do it again. Their prices are not as high. Thanks for the question.

Perhaps I should have stated in my question..."Not considering the price of the SR's." :rolleyes: Truthfully, the pricing never entered my mind when making this Poll. We have always planned on paying full price for SR's, but getting a freebie or a discount has always come as a nice surprise. :)

For those not sure which option to pick, perhaps you can read only the last part of each answer and go from there! ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Keeping up any hostile conversations may get this thread removed. Maybe that would be a good thing. :D

Perhaps I should have stated in my question..."Not considering the price of the SR's." :rolleyes: Truthfully, the pricing never entered my mind when making this Poll. We have always planned on paying full price for SR's, and never think twice about it, but getting a freebie or a discount has been a nice surprise. :)

For those not sure which option to pick, perhaps you can read only the last part of each answer and go from there! ;)

I dunno, I think the poll did a pretty good job. The overwhelming majority of respondents seem to think it's a great idea and would do it again. Judging by the comments, the small minority seem to be split mainly between frugal behavior and disinterest in dining out whether on land or at sea. I'm sure there are a few which couldn't find their favorite option but overall, it appears people like the SR's.