Tell me about the Sun

fivesenuff

Just got off the Sun Mon. in Vancouver. Classy smaller vessel with a great crew. We were in suite 8203, (forward, starboard)could have used a facelift. Mattress was terrible, and cleaning during our 10 day was kind of spotty. We had stayed in a penthouse a couple yrs. ago during a Panama Canal repositioning and fell in love with the Sun. Like most things the second time is never as good, I suspect there were far less passengers on the canal trip. We still loved it though. The forward facing cabin was great in the canal, but a little chilly when underway in Alaska.

Just wondering, on the Cruise Staff, was there a lady by the name of Yankie Olie?

HI all!

Loving this thread as I'm going on the Sun to South America next November,

in part because of mitsugirly's review.;)

Also just booked the 4 day Sky today for April so will have to read that review again.

Have fun on the Dawn, mitsugirly! Looking forward to your review as I've been on that ship twice but never to Bermuda. I took the inaugural Breakaway there.

~ Jo ~ :)

I'm honored and hope the Sun and Sky live up to your expectations. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I'm definitely going to make the most of my Dawn cruise to Bermuda. I'm really really looking forward to it. :D

Just got off the Sun 5/18, we were told it will be going into dry dock 5/1/16, after returning from SA but before the Alaska season. Found her to be a fine old ship, our favorite size with the biggest and best set up inside cabin yet. The Spirit had a little more charm to her, but we are looking to do a SA cruise on the Sun in the future, enjoyed 29 days in cabin 9133, wonderful crew.

I have cruised on the sun in an aft penthouse twice. I would choose the sun over any NCL ship if it was going where I wanted to go. Favorite.

Is your avatar the back of the Sun? We are in 0266 and wondering if the curvature is enough to get a good view of the starboard side while cruising the Chilean fjords. Would we be better off right on starboard for this particular cruise?

Would it be possible for you to post a larger size of you avatar pic? Dexddd has kindly posted a pic, but it appears to be a model, not the actual ship.

I know Donna will answer but in the meantime, I can tell you that the aft is a GREAT place for the SA trip. You get amazing views of both sides of everything. You don't have to be in the suite, but if you can afford it why not? We were in one of the balconies next to "Donna's" suite and really enjoyed the view and location. And the cruise is still our favorite so hope you will have as good a one as we did.

Edited by Clay Clayton

I know Donna will answer but in the meantime, I can tell you that the aft is a GREAT place for the SA trip. You get amazing views of both sides of everything. You don't have to be in the suite, but if you can afford it why not? We were in one of the balconies next to "Donna's" suite and really enjoyed the view and location. And the cruise is still our favorite so hope you will have as good a one as we did.

Thank you. That is good to hear.

Sadly. we are not in a suite this time. We won't have a deck like we had last year on our Cuban cruise. No dance floor. :(

cristal-suite-si-balcony.jpg

Is your avatar the back of the Sun? We are in 0266 and wondering if the curvature is enough to get a good view of the starboard side while cruising the Chilean fjords. Would we be better off right on starboard for this particular cruise?

Would it be possible for you to post a larger size of you avatar pic? Dexddd has kindly posted a pic, but it appears to be a model, not the actual ship.

Yes, it is. Very astute! The aft balcony is NOT a wrap-around. But, I was in the corner aft penthouse, 9076 for the South American cruise and it was absolutely wonderful. I prefer it to the side because there is little to no wind.

That is my favorite cruise to date.

I do not know how to post a bigger size of the picture here... but could email it to you. I am at work and it is on my computer here, so if I don't send it til I return on Tuesday will that work for you? My email is all lower case - donnahill and then the numbers 1 and 5 @ gmail dot come. I spelled it out to keep from it getting picked up.

Or you can go into WORD, Insert, screenshot, screen clipping and capture the image and enlarge it. Though you might lose resolution.

You will love that cruise.

I do not know how to post a bigger size of the picture here... but could email it to you. I am at work and it is on my computer here, so if I don't send it til I return on Tuesday will that work for you? My email is all lower case - donnahill and then the numbers 1 and 5 @ gmail dot come. I spelled it out to keep from it getting picked up.

You will love that cruise.

Ok, I have sent you an email. You will know me by the subject line.

We are looking forward to trying NCL for the first time. For us, the Sun is a "big ship", so I will be interested in seeing how different the entertainment is.

Having just gotten off both the Pearl and Sun, I would have opted to stay on the Pearl for the 10 day Alaska voyage... The Sun was a lovely boat, but just too small for our tastes, and we found the food was far superior on the Pearl. The crew of course was fantastic, but you will get that on each NCL ship.

They are on 10 in the balcony on the other side. Maybe you can give your thoughts on how panoramic the view is or isn't from the aft as that is what I believe one of their questions is (based on a different thread).

I imagine us cruising north with gorgeous scenery on the right - but because we are closer to the middle in an aft balcony and cannot peer around the corner, that all we will see is water behind us and bits of land in our peripheral vision. Perhaps the best view of the fjords is from the starboard side (unless you are fortunate enough to have a corner aft suite)?

I know we will have a good view, but is it the best place to be for a Horn cruise?

I imagine us cruising north with gorgeous scenery on the right - but because we are closer to the middle in an aft balcony and cannot peer around the corner, that all we will see is water behind us and bits of land in our peripheral vision. Perhaps the best view of the fjords is from the starboard side (unless you are fortunate enough to have a corner aft suite)?

I know we will have a good view, but is it the best place to be for a Horn cruise?

Your view will be fine!

Your view will be fine!

Fine, yes, but what cabin location (balcony, not suite) gives me the BEST view for a westbound Horn cruise?

I know, I know, I probably can't go wrong. :) I just want to be sure that I have the best possible cabin before they are snapped up. Normally, for us, an aft is a no brainer. I am a bit suspicious that they are still available on this cruise. They usually fill first. Do others know something about this particular route that we don't know?

Fine, yes, but what cabin location (balcony, not suite) gives me the BEST view for a westbound Horn cruise?

I know, I know, I probably can't go wrong. :) I just want to be sure that I have the best possible cabin before they are snapped up. Normally, for us, an aft is a no brainer. I am a bit suspicious that they are still available on this cruise. They usually fill first. Do others know something about this particular route that we don't know?

Honesty it doesn't matter! We have done this trip twice and it is splendid. When you are in the Chilean Fiords they are on both sides, then when you are in the lower part of Chile and Argentina, there is something to see on every side. Just pick the cabin you want...it will be great. We are going again on the Jan 30, 2016.

Also when you go around the horn, it isn't anything special to see, but just to think of all the people that traveled that way. Our first trip, they stopped and said a nice prayer for all the people that had lost their lives going around the Horn. It was a nice ceremony

Both times we sailed around The Horn, it was quite smooth.

Here is some info on that poem

In 1992, on a hilltop of Horn Island, a monument to the memory of the mariners lost in the waters off Cape Horn was erected, financed with both public and private funds from Chile and many other countries. The interior outline of its facing steel sheets form the image of a wandering albatross in flight; a nearby marble plaque is inscribed with a Spanish poem by Chilean Sara Vial:

I am the albatross that waits for you

at the end of the world.

I am the forgotten souls of dead mariners

who passed Cape Horn

from all the oceans of the earth.

But they did not die

in the furious waves.

Today they sail on my wings

toward eternity,

in the last crack

of Antarctic winds.

Edited by Merriem

Also when you go around the horn, it isn't anything special to see, but just to think of all the people that traveled that way. Our first trip, they stopped and said a nice prayer for all the people that had lost their lives going around the Horn. It was a nice ceremony

Both times we sailed around The Horn, it was quite smooth.

When I was a child, I dreamed of standing at the tip of Cape Hope and seeing where the oceans meet, and also of sailing around Cape Horn. The thought of the "land of fire" captured my imagination.

I got to stand at the tip of South Africa years ago, but this will be my first time to the Land Of Fire. The cold has always kept me away. As a Canadian, I travel to escape the cold. LOL

I have to admit though, that I hope our passage is not perfectly smooth. I like a bit of rock n rollin'.

Honesty it doesn't matter! We have done this trip twice and it is splendid. When you are in the Chilean Fiords they are on both sides, then when you are in the lower part of Chile and Argentina, there is something to see on every side. Just pick the cabin you want...it will be great. We are going again on the Jan 30, 2016.

Come join our roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038416&page=6

We'd love your input on excursions and other info. about this cruise.

Beverly

I'm just off the Sun on the 10 day Alaskan as well, (hello to chidad, the loo, Meredithe and mugtech!) and I have never had a better cruise. This was my second time on the Sun, and I was in an Aft mini suite on deck 9. Spectacular panoramic view, I could see basically 180 degrees! By the way, my steward was terrific, she kept my cabin in spotless condition every single day. I ate 8 nights out of 10 in the MDRs and found the food to be good to excellent. I also quite enjoyed my dinners in La Cucina and Cagneys. Service on board was top notch. I really am very fond of this ship and would not hesitate to sail on her again. I haven't sailed on the route you're discussing yet, but I'd like too! Please let us know how it goes! :D

IMO, any of the aft facing balconies will be fine. I prefer either of the two on deck 9 so that you don't have to worry about chair noise from The Great Outdoors that you might hear on deck 10. Deck 8 is fine too, but I like the convenience of only two flights of stairs to get to the Garden Café.

If you can swing one of the aft facing mini's they are MUCH larger than the balconies....same thoughts on which deck.

IF none of the aft balconies or mini's are available, then the best views (albeit not the warmest ones) will be from the bow facing ones on deck 11.