cruising during superbowl

rskupper

I know its a little early to ask but we are thinking about cruising Valor in Feb 2016 superbowl would be on that Sunday Any good stuff going on or do they just have it on the big screen and call it a day?

I'm not 100% sure, but I will mention this. My brother and I cruised a few years ago (packer fans) and they showed a packer game on the big screen on lido, there were times that we lost signal and the screen went blank, if this is going to anger you (I have seen it on Johns blog from other people and it "ruined" their cruise) you may want to rethink going at that time if missing a game is going ruin your cruise. You may not loose signal, just something to keep in mind :)

I haven't cruised during the Super Bowl, but my mom did and said it was on the big screen instead of a movie and there was popcorn etc... Lots of people out watching the game!

Agreed with the above poster about loss of signal. We cruised during the NCAA tourney and are UK fans. Well, it was a few years ago and it was when UK lost in the final four. But in the last few minutes of the game the lido screen went blank. At first we thought it was maybe just the lido screen so we headed back to our cabins and saw there was no feed there either. Obviously lost steatite feed. Given the score we knew our team was going to lose so we just walked away and finished our night another way.

But had it been a closer game, I would have wanted to know the ending score.

I know its a little early to ask but we are thinking about cruising Valor in Feb 2016 superbowl would be on that Sunday Any good stuff going on or do they just have it on the big screen and call it a day?

We are on that cruise with a bunch of people we sailed with this past March. I have done 3 SB cruises already, they are a blast. The day onboard is filled with football entertainment and later in the afternoon it turns into a tailgate party. The game is shown on the big screen as well as tvs in various bars around the ship. I purposely booked this cruise because we love the atmosphere of the SB onboard.

If you do choose to join us, we have a roll call already in place (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=336) so join in with the group.

On 2 cruises last year the signal was lost a few times on football sundays, sometimes for more than just a couple minutes. It was lengthy.

I haven't cruised during the NFL playoffs or Super Bowl for that reason. I wouldn't be devastated if the signal went out, but I enjoy that time of the football season and there are too many other times of the year to take a cruise. However if I found a crazy great deal on a great ship I would probably do it.

We cruised out of San Juan in 2010 for super bowl and there you don't sail until 10:00 pm so the ship never loses the signal in port. They have snacks out at the big screen and the buffet is of course open as well as the Dining room. It was a party for sure. They even let us postpone the Muster drill until sail away from St Thomas the next day.... it was a fun experience. Give it a try.

Edited by Dirkgun

Let me guess. You think the Browns will be in the Super Bowl.:eek:

We are on that cruise with a bunch of people we sailed with this past March. I have done 3 SB cruises already, they are a blast. The day onboard is filled with football entertainment and later in the afternoon it turns into a tailgate party. The game is shown on the big screen as well as tvs in various bars around the ship. I purposely booked this cruise because we love the atmosphere of the SB onboard.

If you do choose to join us, we have a roll call already in place (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=336) so join in with the group.

Wow they let just anyone on for Superbowl sunday.:):) We are part of the bunch of people this past March and on the Valor.

It is nice watching on a big screen and think this will be our third time. They do have an international feed so you will be seeing some unusual commercials.

We went a year or two ago. They moved elegant night to Monday. Game was on big screen. They had specials and parties. Lots of people showed up in Dining room in jerseys. I'm not into football but it seems like everyone had a good time.

We have sailed Splendor during the Superbowl 48.

All the cabin TV's get the game.

They show the game on the outdoor screen

THey set up food stations near the seating

Was pretty cool that Seatle kicked butt :D

Sailed twice on SBS. First was on the Victory, 2013 when the power went out at the stadium with the 20 minute delay. We sailed out of San Juan and this was the Repo cruise ending up in Miami and waste last night of the cruise. Second was this past one on the Dream My Pats against Sea-Hawks..... Sailed out of NOLA so the signal was strong all the way to the gulf. Should have seen the crowd deflate when Carol blew that play :p:p:D. Had a blast and will be staying this year SSB night in FLL instead of flying back during the game. Finger foods are abundant as well as other snacks. It's funny how this past year everyone saved seats prior to the Muster Drill and when they went back, everything was re-Arranged and saving seat material was everywhere .:eek:

I can't seem to find the info - does anyone know if the Miracle has a big screen outside? We're sailing on her during Super Bowl and would love to watch it outside!

Terry

It does not

Actually I dont think any of the Spirit class has an outdoor screen

Edited by limoguy1

...We have had the pleasure of sailing on Super Bowl Sunday. Had a blast. Watched the pregame and the event on the big screen. Never had a reception problem out at sea. Everybody is in a party mood and a large portion of the passengers are in their hometown jersey or some kind of football garb. Ship served some finger foods and gave out trinkets (beads/clappers). Dolphins were out of it, but we really enjoyed the game!

Edited by Doug910

We've done it twice. Once was a 3 day cruise and there was a huge group of football fans onboard. There was a party in the main theater but we didn't go. We were on Miracle this year and went to the party in the main theater. The food was really good and there were football clackers, Pom poms and beads given out.

Edited by MissyMac13

We were on the Dream last Super Bowl. They showed the game on the outdoor screen, in the main auditorium and about every TV.

There was a short blackout, but not real long. there were finger foods everywhere and everyone was in a great mood.

I would Sail SB Sunday anytime

We are booked on the Conquest for this year's Super Bowl and I'm excited for it. It should be a different cruise experience. I did find out that there is a Super Bowl group cruise on the ship, so I'm just hoping that they don't have too much blocked out for just them that the regular guest won't be able to enjoy the Super Bowl on Lido or something.

We cruised during the playoffs last year and were told that the games would be on television, but they were blacked out. We saw the end of one of the games, but that was only because it went into extra innings.

wasn't on a ship for a super bowl. but i was on the pride for the nfc and afc championship games. this was before the pride had the outdoor screen. they showed the games in the main showroom on a projection screen. it was nice sitting in the comfy chairs with tables. they had cocktail servers. they also had a tailgate themed buffet right inside the theater. with wings, hot dogs, fries and other things it was very good. we never lost signal for the game. it was a good time with people cheering for their teams with friendly banter between the sides.

Similar question, DH was rather upset i didnt check the scheduled days for the world series before booking... think they will also show the WS?

you should be fine. fox owns the mlb broadcast rights. all the world series games will be broadcast on the regular fox channel. so when it is on the regular national broadcast fox channel the ships can get it. because it will be broadcast nationwide in the us on the fox channel. the ships have local network channels usually from miami. so if it is a national game every local region will broadcast it at the same time. you don't have to worry about different region broadcasting different events.

as a previous poster stated they were on a ship where the playoff games were blacked out. but the playoff game are not broadcast nationwide on fox. they are covered by the teams regional sports network that broadcast every game during the year. then they will be broadcast nation wide on different networks every game. so one game might be broadcast on tbs, then the next game on fox sports 1, then on mlb network etc. and if you are in a local region where your team is playing in a playoff game you would have to watch it on the local region broadcast because the national broadcast would be blacked out in your area.