Alaska Cruisers

Arizona-Cruising

We have cruised Alaska a few times from Seattle and it is normal to experiance the 1 night/day of swaying rough seas then you hit the Alaska waters and it is like glass.

So my questions is we are cruising out of San Francisco end of June and will be at sea a few days before we hit Alaska waters, is it normal to have the swaying boat rock or just depends on the weather? Just want to make sure I stock up on plenty of Ginger........

Thanks for any experiences.

We have cruised Alaska a few times from Seattle and it is normal to experiance the 1 night/day of swaying rough seas then you hit the Alaska waters and it is like glass.

So my questions is we are cruising out of San Francisco end of June and will be at sea a few days before we hit Alaska waters, is it normal to have the swaying boat rock or just depends on the weather? Just want to make sure I stock up on plenty of Ginger........

Thanks for any experiences.

I guess it depends on the weather, but I've sailed out of San Francisco twice to Alaska (and have one coming up in August), and it was pretty rough the first couple of days. I'd stock up if I were you. Better safe than sorry...

It's been 19 years since I sailed from San Francisco so I really don't remember so not much help there--sorry!

But I too use ginger and am sensitive to that early cruise motion when it occurs.

I had read on the boars about taking any over the counter motion sickness med (I use one that makes you sleepy) starting about 3 nights before the cruise. It helps me sleep even though excited and thinking about the cruise and it gets the medicine into my system so I don't have to rely on it too much when flying or on the cruise.

Our first cruise in 2011 was a 10 day round trip SF/AK. The first night we woke up with the ship tossing every which way. The next morning people were literally bouncing off of the walls as they tried to walk. The ship hit high seas that caused it to BOOM and shudder as it plowed through them. After that it was smooth sailing all the way.

Our first cruise in 2011 was a 10 day round trip SF/AK. The first night we woke up with the ship tossing every which way. The next morning people were literally bouncing off of the walls as they tried to walk. The ship hit high seas that caused it to BOOM and shudder as it plowed through them. After that it was smooth sailing all the way.

We love those kind of seas. We always book aft to get the best rough ride. The worse we experienced was on the Grand Princess to Hawaii. I woke up and told DH that this is the big one! I was disoriented and thought we were home in bed having an earthquake. The ship was tossing and creaking. I got up and looked out the slider. We were on the Aloha deck and the waves were coming up into our balcony! It blew out the slider in the cabin next to us, and the ceiling fell in on the cabin on the other side of us. The man in the cabin with the fallen ceiling suffered a dislocated shoulder and spent a couple of days in the infirmary. Okay, so Alaska, yes the seas can be rough. You can't take ginger if you don't bring it with you--JIC.

No way to tell, as stated it all depends on the conditions.

After all you are on a ship and you are in the ocean at the mercy of the weather.

We have had seas from smooth to rough sailing out of San Fran, in both directions. You just don't know.

We love those kind of seas. We always book aft to get the best rough ride. The worse we experienced was on the Grand Princess to Hawaii. I woke up and told DH that this is the big one! I was disoriented and thought we were home in bed having an earthquake. The ship was tossing and creaking. I got up and looked out the slider. We were on the Aloha deck and the waves were coming up into our balcony! It blew out the slider in the cabin next to us, and the ceiling fell in on the cabin on the other side of us. The man in the cabin with the fallen ceiling suffered a dislocated shoulder and spent a couple of days in the infirmary. Okay, so Alaska, yes the seas can be rough. You can't take ginger if you don't bring it with you--JIC.

We were on Sea Princess and way forward on Aloha deck - lots of "action". The HC on that ship is in the bow and the view of the weather was awesome. I get car sick on winding roads if I'm not the driver - I got patches from my doctor and didn't get sick at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Bring the ginger!!! Sailed several times out of SF & first night always tricky. My husband wears those blue bands on his wrists & beds down early. We also brought those ginger tablets like altoids, but haven't needed them. In any event it passes & the trip is worth it. Enjoy!

What type of ginger are you guys referring to? Like a ginger candy?

More like pickled ginger...I don't know if there's enough concentration of ginger in candy to really work? (I guess it depends on the candy...)

We sailed to Alaska a few years ago from L.A., in May. The first 2 sea days to Seattle treated us to 30-foot waves. Even staff were taking pictures of the waves practically lapping the MDR windows (on deck 4, no less).

Northbound tends to be somewhat rougher as you are sailing against the Humboldt Current (there are other names for it as well), so if you are bothered by anything but smooth seas, do be prepared.

I agree 100%.

The only times I've felt even remotely sea sick are the days going northbound out of San Francisco.

Srpilo

What type of ginger are you guys referring to? ginger candy?

Ginger capsules I usually start 1 to 2 day before and 2 in the morn before boarding and 2 in the late afternoon then I repeat next day just as a saftey.

Ginger root to chew on helps or the Tonic and Bitters the bar tender makes works well or just a old fashion green apple. None of these make your sleepy.:D

This is the more natural steps there are many more products OTC.

Coming out of San Francisco can be rough, for the first day at sea, both my

wife and I felt a little less than perky last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slight correction..... coming out of SanFran,,WILL be rough headed north unless the earth reverses its rotation.

You will be heading direct into the humbolt/pacific current that is not weather dependent.

The famed "Potato Patch, Point St George/reef,( great light house look it up) Columbia bar and the straits of Juan de Fuca are famous among mariners...

Now, good news the boats will not move at all, cradled in their davits, but the ship they are on will till you clear Vancouver Island. expect rolling-pitching and yawing.... but that's part of the fun.....enjoy it.