purchasing warm clothing?

gluecksbaer

We're going to Alaska for the first time at the end of July. We live in a warmer area (most folks think it's "freezing" in the low 70's although winter mornings are usually in the 50's and 60's and it occasionally drops to actual freezing temps overnight). I'm not sure I own a sweatshirt that fits. Fortunately my kids have adorable winter stuff they have never worn. My daughter gets cold very easily (she doesn't last in a swimming pool more than 5 minutes if there's any kind of breeze--even in our 90-100+ summer temps).

We'll be on the NCL Pearl going to Juneau, Skagway, sailing Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan. Since we're traveling with two four-year-olds and my elderly MIL, we won't be doing any hiking or kayaking or other strenuous excursions. I don't think we'll try taking the kids out on smaller boats either.

I'm trying to decide what we need to bring with us enough to purchase it for possibly this trip only. We will have windbreakers that fold into their own pockets (and do well in the rain according to reviews but we haven't worn them in the rain). For other layers will jeans with long sleeve t-shirts under sweatshirts be enough or should I buy at least the kids long underwear? If so would we want them often enough that I should buy more than one set or would one set suffice? Should I buy a sweatshirt for me to bring on the ship for our initial sailing days or will long sleeves and the windbreaker be good enough for me to wait for a souvenir sweatshirt in Juneau?

Slightly related, does anyone know if there are self-service laundromats in any of the above places (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) close enough to the port for me to realistically do laundry? My son and I have sensitive skin issues that mean it's not worth the risk of wearing anything washed in the ship's laundry. So I'm trying to decide if I have to pack for all contingencies or if some emergency laundry is possible.

I'm trying to decide what we need to bring with us enough to purchase it for possibly this trip only. We will have windbreakers that fold into their own pockets (and do well in the rain according to reviews but we haven't worn them in the rain). For other layers will jeans with long sleeve t-shirts under sweatshirts be enough or should I buy at least the kids long underwear? If so would we want them often enough that I should buy more than one set or would one set suffice? Should I buy a sweatshirt for me to bring on the ship for our initial sailing days or will long sleeves and the windbreaker be good enough for me to wait for a souvenir sweatshirt in Juneau?[/quote

During our July Alaska cruise, the weather was sometimes warm enough for capris and a light sweater or cold enough that we wore jeans and needed to layer long sleeve shirts and a sweatshirt or fleece jacket. Layering is the key, so that you can add or remove layers and stay comfortable. We both brought one pair of "Cuddl Duds" light weight silky long underwear (top and bottom) that added warmth without being hot and bulky. One pair is enough, as they can be hand washed in the sink and dry fast. I'd also recommend bringing an inexpensive pair of light weight gloves and a hat or headband style ear warmers. It was cold when we were viewing the glaciers. Have a great trip.

I'd wear a windbreaker over a fleece vest and a long sleeved T. With CuddleDuds beneath for glacier day. A hat and gloves. Viewing the glacier will probably to your only truly cold day. So improvise at bit.

Check out sales at places like LLBean (free shipping) if you need to add any warmer clothes.

If someone in your party has a balcony room, you'll be able to let your children view the glaciers from there and go inside to warm up.

You may want to check out http://www.cuddlduds.com.

They carry a variety of adult's and children's clothing for layering, hats, and accessories. I just checked their website. Shipping is free. Some items are on sale, including reasonably priced top and bottom sets for children ($7.99). Cuddl Duds are also sold in department stores and online, including Walmart.

Edited by marys350

Don't over think this cold weather stuff. It is already shaping up to be a dry spring and summer in southeast Alaska. Ketchikan has already had forest fire alerts due to high winds, temps and a lack of rain. Layers of clothes that you can peel off or add on is what you want. You won't need long underwear or parkas.

I usually go at the end of July, and I wear shorts half the time. Of course, my tolerance is different than yours, since I'll wear shorts over 60 and think it's too hot at 70.

The only day you would even remotely need long underwear is on your Glacier Bay day, and then only if you have a low tolerance for cold and plan to be outside a long time.

If you don't have a sweatshirt, you can probably wait until your first port day to buy something.

Are your windbreakers *waterproof* and do they have hoods? You may want to consider spraying them with waterproofing spray, but if they don't have a hood, they aren't going to be very useful. You do NOT want to use umbrellas. They are useless on the ship - too much wind - and a major annoyance in crowded ports.

As for laundry, do you really want to spend your limited port time in Alaska doing laundry?!? :eek:

Skagway has a self-service Laundromat in a gas station at the corner of State & 2nd St. The drying is very slow since it is propane, so take lots of quarters if you use this. It is in a convenient location just off the main drag, so you can put stuff in the washer, sightsee a little then go back and put it in the dryer, sightsee, etc.

NCl does not have washers and dryers on the ships but they do have a day that you can send clothes to the laundry for a certain amount of money to get stuff done. Watch for that day in the daily news paper you get at night on your bed. Also bring some of the laundry balls and hand wash some stuff in the sink and hang over the string in the shower to dry. The ports will have lots of long sleeve tops and sweatshirts really cheap to buy instead of buying stuff online to save some money. Don't forget to take your bathing suits for swimming during the day. The cheap gloves and hat for glacier day and being on deck at night is a great idea. It will all work out and you are going to have a great time.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have all the packing lists and warm weather stuff (sunglasses, insect repellent, etc). We also have basic hats and gloves for trips to the mountains to play in the snow. It was when the stuff that we may never wear again got to over $100 that I started considering whether we needed it all.

Marys350: You're my hero. I didn't think to check the Cuddlduds website. You can't find that stuff around here after Christmas and those same sets were over $20 each on Amazon.

Our jackets are officially "water resistant" but I picked them because of reviews saying they (or their kids) stayed dry in the rain. However, I've never needed to wear mine and the kids have only worn theirs because they wanted to. Maybe I'll send my kids out to run in the sprinklers and see how they do. They do all have hoods because I don't know why one would want a jacket without a hood and I'm not overly fond of umbrellas either. The kids also have thick hoodies that have kept them dry in a light rain shower (although they would be no match for a true downpour).

As for laundry, of course I don't want to spend my port time doing laundry. I also don't want to spend my port time recovering from an allergic reaction or trapped in our cabin with a small boy who might literally bounce off the walls when given Benadryl in such confines. Somehow I have to stuff enough stuff for a week into suitcases small enough that my husband and I can manage them along with kids, car seats, and other assorted gear. That doesn't leave much room for error. A laundromat in Skagway is great. By then I should know if we're going to be hit with sea sickness or other reason for emergency laundry.

Dusty: Can I ask what you mean by laundry balls? What I know of as "laundry balls" are thrown in a dryer instead of dryer sheets and that doesn't seem to be what you mean?

Thanks again for all the help!

As for laundry, of course I don't want to spend my port time doing laundry. I also don't want to spend my port time recovering from an allergic reaction or trapped in our cabin with a small boy who might literally bounce off the walls when given Benadryl in such confines. Somehow I have to stuff enough stuff for a week into suitcases small enough that my husband and I can manage them along with kids, car seats, and other assorted gear. That doesn't leave much room for error. A laundromat in Skagway is great. By then I should know if we're going to be hit with sea sickness or other reason for emergency laundry.

I do understand the challenge, but it's possible! My first trip to Alaska was with three kids, ages 2, 5 and 8. We managed, and without doing laundry! Clothes did double duty. After the boys wore a clean shirt to dinner one night, they could wear it during the day later and it didn't matter if it got dirty. Jeans were worn multiple days. Shout wipes work well for minor spills on clothes, or wash out in the sink. I think the only thing I washed in the sink was one of my 5 year old shirts when his sister (accidentally) elbowed him in the nose and gave him a nosebleed. :eek:

Hopefully you'll have glorious weather but if it's rainy and cold, that windbreaker might not be enough if it's not waterproof. It's bad enough to feel cold, but cold AND wet is miserable. :(

A cheap solution for some added protection would be a cheap plastic poncho. They fold up into a little square and fit easily into a day pack. I keep mine permanently in my pack so it goes on any trip, anywhere as insurance.

And for glacier viewing or any time on the water, have gloves and a hat/headband.

It's interesting to look at photos in past trip reports. In the same photo you'll see people in shorts/tshirts standing next to people in jeans and windbreakers. It's hard to know you or your kids will 'feel' the cold.

I do understand the challenge, but it's possible! My first trip to Alaska was with three kids, ages 2, 5 and 8. We managed, and without doing laundry! Clothes did double duty. After the boys wore a clean shirt to dinner one night, they could wear it during the day later and it didn't matter if it got dirty. Jeans were worn multiple days. Shout wipes work well for minor spills on clothes, or wash out in the sink. I think the only thing I washed in the sink was one of my 5 year old shirts when his sister (accidentally) elbowed him in the nose and gave him a nosebleed. :eek:

I'm not worried about spills and such. I'm worried about clothes that absolutely must be washed before wearing (or being removed from a plastic bag).

My previous family trips have included events like standing on a train platform for 20minutes at midnight in hopes that the fresh air would get the boy through until we got off the train the next day or walking the last mile to the house we were staying at because it was a better option than remaining in a vehicle with him. And if I was lucky enough to keep him from throwing up on a trip it was almost certain that his sister would instead. Both my kids appear to have outgrown their motion sickness issues but I still plan all trips for the contingency that someone will vomit on both themselves and me. I find it's better to have plan and not need it.

It sounds like washing stuff out in the sink will work too though. I didn't think things would dry that well on the ship. So thanks to everyone who made that suggestion too.

I'm not worried about spills and such. I'm worried about clothes that absolutely must be washed before wearing (or being removed from a plastic bag).

My previous family trips have included events like standing on a train platform for 20minutes at midnight in hopes that the fresh air would get the boy through until we got off the train the next day or walking the last mile to the house we were staying at because it was a better option than remaining in a vehicle with him. And if I was lucky enough to keep him from throwing up on a trip it was almost certain that his sister would instead. Both my kids appear to have outgrown their motion sickness issues but I still plan all trips for the contingency that someone will vomit on both themselves and me. I find it's better to have plan and not need it.

It sounds like washing stuff out in the sink will work too though. I didn't think things would dry that well on the ship. So thanks to everyone who made that suggestion too.

If your kids are that prone to motion sickness, you should talk to their doctor about what medication to use if they need it! I would not be getting onto a ship for a week with kids prone to motion sickness without some sort of preventative measures.

My daughter doesn't typically have issues with motion, but she has allergies, and last year she was having a particularly bad allergy problem in the days right before our cruise, and may have developed a bit of a sinus infection. The first sea day on that cruise was the only time she has ever felt sick on a cruise, probably due to inner ear imbalance from her sinus problems. She never threw up, but she was queasy and whiny all day. And she was 15! Luckily, one Bonine was enough to get her through and she was fine the rest of the trip.

For sink laundry... Woolite.

It doesn't suds a lot and rinses more easily than regular detergent. It's available without dye/perfumes for sensitive skin. Alternately, use Dreft, the baby laundry detergent.

Dump a 'serving' into a ziploc bag with a couple of cheap washcloths. They absorb the liquid to keep it from leaking out, and don't have to be put in your tiny bag of 3oz liquids. AND makes the luggage smell good! I use the cloth to rub out blood, underarm or food stains, then swish it in the sink to get the water sudsy.

Cheaper than Shout wipes, and less likely to cause irritation.

I was able to wear shorts for our day in Glacier Bay--but I had on a T-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, windbreaker, gloves, and a hat. I saw a lot of people who did not get to see the full effect of the glacier because they went inside because they felt cold.

For sink laundry... Woolite.

It doesn't suds a lot and rinses more easily than regular detergent. It's available without dye/perfumes for sensitive skin. Alternately, use Dreft, the baby laundry detergent.

Dump a 'serving' into a ziploc bag with a couple of cheap washcloths. They absorb the liquid to keep it from leaking out, and don't have to be put in your tiny bag of 3oz liquids. AND makes the luggage smell good! I use the cloth to rub out blood, underarm or food stains, then swish it in the sink to get the water sudsy.

Cheaper than Shout wipes, and less likely to cause irritation.

Dusty: Can I ask what you mean by laundry balls? What I know of as "laundry balls" are thrown in a dryer instead of dryer sheets and that doesn't seem to be what you mean?

I was thinking of the Tide laundry balls to wash your clothes with but Sue's suggestion is much better than mine for sensitive skin. I would make sure and pack it in your checked bag so there is no problems going through security with a powdered item in a carry-on bag. It is easy to wear clothes more than once on a Alaska cruise so try not to over pack. A wonderful time is in your future. :)

Motion sickness meds are part of the better to have a plan and not need it contingency. We haven't had an issue for over a year so I don't want to use them unnecessarily, but I will have them on hand. Just not sure how we'll discover if we need them.

Thanks again for all the laundry & packing suggestions. I feel better with a good back-up plan.

Living in south Texas, we also have warm/hot weather most of the year. I spent too much money on special clothes for Alaska and regretted it. I agree with the suggestion to layer. There will be days where you are good in a t-shirt, and conversely a day when you will need a heavy coat (glacier sailing - as mentioned). This trip I am packing mostly t-shirts with a zip-up fleece jacket and a heavier coat.

Have fun!! :)