Statement from NCL on drowning on GEM

NBCNewsGuy

From NBC News

We are extremely saddened to have learned that a guest passed away on Sunday aboard Norwegian Gem.

‎On Sunday afternoon, the ship’s medical team responded to an emergency call from the pool deck, as a ten year-old female guest was reported unresponsive. The team quickly administered CPR and full emergency care. After extensive efforts, the guest could not be revived.

We extend our deepest sympathies to the family during this very difficult time. Norwegian’s care team is providing full assistance and support to the family.

Norwegian Gem departed New York on Saturday on a seven-day Bahamas & Florida cruise.

From NBC News

We are extremely saddened to have learned that a guest passed away on Sunday aboard Norwegian Gem.

‎On Sunday afternoon, the ship’s medical team responded to an emergency call from the pool deck, as a ten year-old female guest was reported unresponsive. The team quickly administered CPR and full emergency care. After extensive efforts, the guest could not be revived.

We extend our deepest sympathies to the family during this very difficult time. Norwegian’s care team is providing full assistance and support to the family.

Norwegian Gem departed New York on Saturday on a seven-day Bahamas & Florida cruise.

Prayers for the family.

The ship left Canaveral a short while ago, leaving behind a griefing family with broken hearts - the earlier information was indeed - sadly - true. Words & prayers are really all some of us can offer, and, not ask why or how.

Edited by mking8288

This hits close to me as well as I have an 11 year old daughter. We are going on our first cruise as a family in December and since booking I have had mom brain about all that could go wrong. My heart breaks for this family.

My deepest condolences to this family and my prayers are with them tonight as they grieve such a loss. Such a reminder to hug your loved ones as we never when tragedy could strike. I gave my daughter an extra long hug tonight to the point she said "umm ok..you can let go now."

This horrible tragedy happened on the Gem. Never have seen crew watching over the pools on the Gem, like in this photo.

But still, no mater, an awful awful tragedy.

Also on ABC news now.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coast-guard-girl-10-drowns-pool-aboard-cruise-31136593

No lifeguards but they do have crew watching over the pool as the gentleman in yellow in this picture is doing. Unfortunately tragedies do happen and my heart breaks for the family.

20141011_134028_zpsclthk9le.jpg

The important question is: Where are the parents? Leave their duties up to a lifeguard? I do agree that there should be life guards, but the parents must assume some responsibility for their own children.

This horrible tragedy happened on the Gem. Never have seen crew watching over the pools on the Gem, like in this photo.

But still, no mater, an awful awful tragedy.

Also on ABC news now.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coast-guard-girl-10-drowns-pool-aboard-cruise-31136593

I have. I don't think these people are lifeguards but rather watching to make sure children are supervised by their parents. I saw them on the Quantum last month as well. This is awful, an awful accident that anyone who was around that pool on Sunday would have prevented if humanly possible. God Bless this little one, may she rest in peace.

The important question is: Where are the parents? Leave their duties up to a lifeguard? I do agree that there should be life guards, but the parents must assume some responsibility for their own children.

I was on the BA when *that* drowning happened. DW I were on the waterfront, and heard screaming and commotion from the pool deck. For the remainder of the cruise, people were going "where are the parents"

I was on the BA when *that* drowning happened. DW I were on the waterfront, and heard screaming and commotion from the pool deck. For the remainder of the cruise, people were going "where are the parents"

We were on that same cruise and the parents were not there, the children were with their grandmother who was not around at the time the little one drowned and the older child, age 6 almost drowned. You are right, people were yelling out looking for whomever was with the boys. I can't say first hand she wasn't there.

My daughter was also with us on that Breakaway cruise and she is currently on the Gem. What are the odds?

We all have read on these boards how fast a person can drown so lesson learned is don't keep your eyes off of your loved one. I don't care how old they are or how strong of a swimmer you think they are, these pools are small and crowded.

My deepest sympathy goes out to that family.

I agree it would be wonderful to see lifeguards on all the lines, but it also comes down to being a responsible parent and supervising children in water without lifeguards nearby too.

I was shocked at how people crowd in the pools, water sloshing about, little kids trying to keep afloat. I had several grab on to me or my daughter when they got tossed about, no parents in sight. :( Sorry but that mix can lead to tragedy on any line. I hope that this help pave the way to even one lifeguard per pool. How many kids and/or people have to get injured or drown to put a very simple policy in place. Coming from the water park capital of the world it isn't that complex to put a simple plan in place across all cross lines. It all comes down to the all mighty dollar tho...

Very very sad!! :(

so very sad, our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. We have sailed the Gem a couple of times and the staff monitors the slide when it is open. As a parent who has had a child slip under quietly in a pool full of people while sitting a few feet away, it really is scary how fast drowning happens. I was in conversation with someone at the time. Another adult in the pool noticed and helped my son back to the edge thankfully, and he was not harmed; but really, do not start blaming parents so quickly.

My thoughts exactly. Prayers for the little girl and her family. What a sad thing to have happen. I can imagine how everyone feels right now. We had a similar situation at a birthday party our daughter had given for her daughter.

Please posters, don't turn this into another: It is NCLs fault or it is mom and dads fault. We do not know what happened and never will. .

Also remember, no matter what, terrible accidents happen every day.

Edited by newmexicoNita