Statement from NCL on drowning on GEM

NBCNewsGuy

Even then it isn't as simple as it soundl: we had the horrible experience of a child drowning in our back yard pool. We were on vacation, we allowed our daughter to have her child's birthday party at our home while we were gone. The child that drowned knew how to swim and had just completely his second round of lessons. 2 of the 10 adults at the party had life guard training and had worked as life guards in the past. The child's father was there, no one had even had a drop of alcohol. it just happened, and to this day, no one knows what really happened. This was about 25 years ago. I agree with you about both car seats and swim lessons, but accidents will still happen.

I wonder how many here read the article and WATCHED the film on drowning and how easily it can happen.

Apologies in advance if it is against the rules to post this but some people need to understand a few things about drowning:

Instinctive Drowning Response:

1. In the vast majority of cases, drowning people are physiologically incapable of calling out for help because the human body is wired to give priority to the primary respiratory function, breathing, and not to speech, which is a secondary overlaid function.
  2. Drowning people's mouths are not above the water long enough to enable them to exhale, draw breath and call out, they have barely time to exhale and inhale quickly before their mouths go back under the water.
  3. When we are drowning, our natural instinct is to press our arms outwards and downwards onto the surface of the water so we can leverage our bodies upwards to catch our breath.
  4. Waving arms about to draw attention is a voluntary movement: we have to stop drowning first before we can physically perform voluntary movements like waving for help, grabbing rescue equipment or moving toward a rescuer.
  5. While in the Drowning Response, people stay upright but they don't perform supporting kicks, and unless rescued, they struggle on the surface of the water up to 60 seconds before they go under.

OMG, I can't believe it. People are arguing and calling others stupid. For God's sake a little girl just died. If there would be at least one thread where there shouldn't be fighting and name calling, this should be it.

Again, my prayers go out to the family.

I wonder how many here read the article and WATCHED the film on drowning and how easily it can happen.

I did. I have watched a similar film to that before. It never looks like it does on TV. It's scary how fast and unnoticable it really is.

This is all so very sad. I feel for the poor family. All I can say is that as the mother of 4, grandmother of 8 and great grandmother of 2 is that you can't take your eyes off those kids for one minute when they are near water. Ultimately the responsibility, hard as it is, is with the parents. You just can't rely on anyone else. Those poor parents are heart-broken. I hope they can find some peace. It could happen in a flash to anyone. Don't play the blame game.

Praying for the family. It is so sad. How can I make a judgement on anyone when I just have to look in the mirror? Maybe I've been lucky. But really, a tragedy can happen to anyone, anytime. Part of being human.

As a Mom of 6 who loves to cruise this breaks my heart. Terrible accident. My husband is terrified when the kids are in or near a pool because something could happen just that quick.

I will pray for this family and hug my littles a bit tighter tonight.

Wasn't going to post my feelings, but just had to vent. Very sad and upsetting. Prayers for the family. Don't know what happened in this tragedy but have been on many cruises and totally disappointed in parents, grandparents or guardians that let small children run around pool areas unsupervised. They are running from one pool to another, then into the spas with no supervision at all. Tragedies just waiting to happen. There should be at least two pool attendants constantly asking these children who are you here with. May be harsh, but they should take these young ones to these parents, etc. and say "watch your children, we and other guests are not your babysitters, they are your responsibility and too young to be on their own."

I am so sorry for the loss this family is feeling.

A Little Angel

Today it would be wonderful

To see you play and smile

But heaven lent you to this world

For just a little while

And in that short but precious time

You brought along much love

And all that love is with you now

In heaven up above.

Your leaving caused so many tears

And such a lot of pain

But God needed one more angel

So he took you back again.

Not just children- On two occasions I recognized that adults were having difficulty at my health club's pool and summoned help

The first time, the lifeguard and our aqua aerobics instructor (closer to the woman than I) did not notice the struggle.

The second time, the lifeguard had just gone off duty- luckily the head lifeguard was working the reception desk (and responded to my yell for "help")

What happened with the ship -did they return to port, or continue on ?

Those parents are in a living nightmare right about now, I can't begin to imagine the pain.

The child and her family got of the ship on Monday in Port Canaveral. Very, very sad.

Are there lifeguards on any of the cruise lines ships?

Yes Disney and as another poster stated they do an excellent job. Sad this has happened my prayers are with the family. It hurts to think of the pain they must be feeling.

At 10 the parents probably thought she was safe - feel so sorry for them.

I have seen 2 near drownings

1st a toddler pulled unconscious from a hotel pool - there was a life guard and also about 10 people in the pool but no where near busy, and none of us seen or heard anything- luckily a lady swam over the top of the child and spotted her below the water - this case was entirely the fault of the parents who were lying down sunbathing and had left looking after her to their 5 yr old - yes 5! Luckily she was revived pool side. Unbelievably the mum started shouting at the life guard.

2nd- A pool party (my dd was attending) they had organised many adults and had assigned 3 children to each - however, they made the mistake of putting all the adults in the pool with their assign children. Luckily I would never let my girls go to the pool without me there (one even swam for our county under 12yr when she was only 7yr). So I was out of the water watching her, when something caught my eye and I realised it was a boy under the surface he was right below where I was sitting and I hadn't seen or heard anything. I jumped in and pulled him out he came round just as we lifted him out of the water without any further intervention. From this I will point out 3 things

1. I saw first hand that it happen quietly and without any splashing

2 never put all adults in the water - leave some to overview from poolside

3. Even I got distracted from supervising my own dd when I had to jump in and pull the boy out- so never say never

My daughter started struggling on our med cruise in the pool when she was 4 she seemed to just forget how to swim and panicked my DH jumped in fully clothed phone in pocket and got her out we laugh about it now but things like this make you realise how lucky we were that her daddy was watching her she is a good swimmer but crisis can happen at anytime prayers and thoughts are with the family at this awful time x

The difference between a drowning and a near-drowning is direct parent or lifeguard supervision. I have pulled a child from the water twice in my life. Seconds count in every situation.

If there is no lifeguard, a parent must actively watch, every second and be ready to jump in. You must also be a killjoy and stop all rough housing.

Simple as that, really it is.

The important question is: Where are the parents? Leave their duties up to a lifeguard? I do agree that there should be life guards, but the parents must assume some responsibility for their own children.

Come on folks. Don't start this crap again. Unless you know the ENTIRE STORY and have the FACTS, comments like this are totally irresponsible, damning and wrong.

The above statement makes it look like the parents are responsible. Maybe, maybe not. Leave them alone unless you KNOW it is there fault.